ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday feel-good story

CO. Hoosier

Hall of Famer
Aug 29, 2001
Of course it is about baseball.

The Denver Post today has a story about two unique Rockies fans, or more particularly, baseball fans. The Husband and wife fans have been blind since birth. Yet they go to the park they have never seen, to see through their ears the crack of the ball on the bat, neither of which they have seen, to smell the grass and to feel the crowd they can only sense with 4. They can never know the difference between the green field grass and the purple Rockies jerseys, yet they know there is a difference.

But the story is also about the radio which is the blind couple's eyes to the game. No sporting event lends itself to a radio broadcast better than baseball. The slow and deliberate pace allows the play-by-play folks to fully describe all of it, and then repeat the play in different words. Bringing back personal memories. I grew up listening Bob Elson do the White Sox--many times in bed at night, when I supposed to sleep, with the set turned low so mom and dad wouldn't hear it. Then dad would come in and listen to a couple innings. And smuggling those new-fangled transistor radios into school to listen to the world series, which was always day games in those days. Listening to a good announcer describe a great play is in some ways better than watching it. Like fine wine, you can savor the moment with your imagination in ways you cannot possibly do by seeing it.

I remember listening to the Reds with my dad . Every once in awhile when I'm in the car, it takes me back to those days when I dial in to a game.

Of course it is about baseball.

The Denver Post today has a story about two unique Rockies fans, or more particularly, baseball fans. The Husband and wife fans have been blind since birth. Yet they go to the park they have never seen, to see through their ears the crack of the ball on the bat, neither of which they have seen, to smell the grass and to feel the crowd they can only sense with 4. They can never know the difference between the green field grass and the purple Rockies jerseys, yet they know there is a difference.

But the story is also about the radio which is the blind couple's eyes to the game. No sporting event lends itself to a radio broadcast better than baseball. The slow and deliberate pace allows the play-by-play folks to fully describe all of it, and then repeat the play in different words. Bringing back personal memories. I grew up listening Bob Elson do the White Sox--many times in bed at night, when I supposed to sleep, with the set turned low so mom and dad wouldn't hear it. Then dad would come in and listen to a couple innings. And smuggling those new-fangled transistor radios into school to listen to the world series, which was always day games in those days. Listening to a good announcer describe a great play is in some ways better than watching it. Like fine wine, you can savor the moment with your imagination in ways you cannot possibly do by seeing it.

Here ye go!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT