ADVERTISEMENT

Sun Belt U

Speaking of Bama, I saw where they lost, what, 9 guys to the portal in about 15 minutes this week? Including the poor kid who flubbed the snap to the QB at the end of overtime vs Michigan....probably a pretty decent center prospect fwiw
And he signed at OSU

Reactions: vesuvius13
We've got at least a couple transfers coming in that have previous P5 time. I like to think that the G5 guys that Cig has recruited are going to come in with a bit of a chip on their shoulder. They're getting a chance to play in the "big leagues" now. Who wouldn't jump at the opportunity to show up teams that overlooked you while playing on a much bigger stage?

A number of the JMU guys are from Virginia. Getting passed on by VA and Va Tech, then the multitude of neighboring state schools...time to shine.

Honestly…..what % of IU’s roster under Allen was Big Ten material? Starting material?
Maybe a couple of the DL? Any of the OL other than maybe Katic?
1 out of the DB unit possibly.
Aaron Casey?
Donovan McCulley?
Jacob Mangum-Farrar?
Cam Camper?

I think a lot more were B1G caliber. But these four stand out as some pretty obvious ones to me.

Aaron Casey?
Donovan McCulley?
Jacob Mangum-Farrar?
Cam Camper?

I think a lot more were B1G caliber. But these four stand out as some pretty obvious ones to me.
There were a lot of players that were B1G caliber until the coaches brought in couldn't do the job and then long time coaches lost their mojo. There is a good LB playing for NY Giants from IU that coach Allen brought to IU. There are many others that BRB ignores.

Cig just grabbed another DB from Old Dominion. I’ll trust he’s getting guys he wants.
For the most part they've been All-Sun Belt performers, so I'll gladly take them. I do admit being concerned about the size, or lack thereof, of some of them, but obviously they're good football players. NTM, many of the top transfers form the Sun Belt & other group of 5 conferences are routinely going to top power 5 programs.

The ranking system has become a joke. I equate what Sig is doing to Coach Knight (bringing in Junior College players) . . . it worked out nicely for ole IU on the basketball court. Granted, not all of them are outstanding but many are simply overlooked/ignored by bigger programs simply because they began their college playing days at smaller schools. I also think the recent uptick in smaller programs having success in the NCAA tournament can be attributed to the messed up ranking system. This doesn't pan out in football because the bowl/playoff system doesn't give smaller programs the opportunity . . . hell, FSU had a perfect season and couldn't get in (despite the fact their bowl performance confirmed the NCAA's decision).

I think we are changing to an attack 4-3 instead of gap pluggers. Watching Carpenter on film he is very quick at 290. Guys with smarts and technique can play faster. Again IU has recruited a Sun Belt and MAC all star team not Sun Belt depth players. The coach is 119-35 and was an assistant at Bama and NC State. He can evaluate talent. I love the fact he is trying to build veteran depth not huge drop off depth.

The staff coming over ran a 4-2-5.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT