ADVERTISEMENT

Mizzou

Huh? Mizzou had 117 yards and zero points through 3.5 quarters. They came into the game averaging 35 points and 480 yards of offense…and played with a full squad. Ohio St had a ton of opt outs on both sides of the ball plus their MLB was out with an injury. Mizzou finally won the field position game, but OSU’s 2nd and 3rd string players went toe to toe until Mizzou’s depth and experience won out.
Actually surprised the Bucks toed the line as well as they did. I thought it was a good game to watch play out.

I wouldn’t mind a 10 game regular season with a 32 team playoff.

-24 bids from the Power 4 (6 bids each).
-8 At-large bids.
-Seeds based on selection committee.
- Win and advance bracket
- Lose and enter consolation bracket
- Max 15 games with Finals
- Min 12 games for consolation brackets

Play till you go home.

Although I could see IU missing out most years by not being top 6 in B1G.
In your proposal would the teams that don’t make the playoffs only play 10 games per season?

What do you mean, huh?... Mizzou's depth and experience???.. Okay OSU had 17 opt outs to Missouri's 11 opts... But, Outside of Harrison, McCord and Abor, MOST of OSU's were depth players for them....Not enough to get yourself embarrassed by a bunch of lesser level recruits.... AND, only ONE of OSU's starting OL was gone and they still couldn't run the ball or pass block... Missouri's depth!!! Come on they lost 4 LBs and a Safety to the Opt out and they still kept OSU from moving the ball....

Since just about every player OSU gets is a 4 or 5 star (like their backup QBs) it shouldn't matter who they play, they should be in a plug-and-play situation every game. Every OSU player should still kick the ass of the 3 star they're up against. So, just ONE guy missing from a starting OL is no excuse and the same for ONE key player on D (Abor)...

You obviously didn't see the same game that myself or most others watched. The Opt-Out excuse wasn't as big of a discrepancy as it was made out to be by the media. OSU flat out did not look good and talent and skill level as an excuse is BS and weak...

Missouri is a good team, no doubt, but the depth of their talent doesn't compare to an OSU's....Did you notice OSU couldn't score a TD with all of their super talented 4-5 star recruits?.... I doubt any other power house team could be made to look that bad... FSU being the only exception... but that's a totally different situation and can't be compared. Basically the entire team opted out.

Oh, and here are the stats.... that 2.9 AVG/yds per rush by OSU, while missing only ONE starting OL tells me a different story than what you claim.

Again, Missouri made OSU look bad the entire game.... the score just didn't reflect it.

STATMissouriOhio State
Points143
Total Yds331203
Pass Yds128106
Rush Yds20397
Penalties7-408-57
1st Downs1912
3rd Downs4-162-15
4th Downs3-31-1
Total Plays7157
Avg Yds/Play4.73.6
Avg Yds/Completion11.610.6
Avg Yds/Rush3.82.9
Sack-Adj Rush Yd(Avg)232 (4.9)118 (4.1)
Red Zone2-30-0
Time of Poss33:5326:07
Turnovers (Def Pts Off)0 (0)1 (0)
Fumbles-Lost1-02-1
Sacks (Def Yds)4 (19)6 (36)
TFL (Def Yds)10 (33)8 (38)
Damn man without the OSU starting QB the Tigers dedicated the D to smothering the LOS. A desperate insurmountable challenge for untested, inexperienced QB's. No McCord, no Harrison, hell it's 1+1.

Last edited:
Damn man without the OSU starting QB the Tigers dedicated the D to smothering the LOS. A desperate insurmountable challenge for untested, inexperienced QB's. No McCord, no Harrison, hell it's 1+1.
Yeah acting like OSU’s 19 year old 4* QB who hadn’t taken a meaningful snap all year should play at the level of Mizzou’s 4* QB who had been a multi-year starter is a wild take. Same thing can be said about the rest of OSU’s “talented” players who were getting major run for the first time. I don’t care what your ranking coming out of high school was, reps and experience trump all.

Yeah acting like OSU’s 19 year old 4* QB who hadn’t taken a meaningful snap all year should play at the level of Mizzou’s 4* QB who had been a multi-year starter is a wild take. Same thing can be said about the rest of OSU’s “talented” players who were getting major run for the first time. I don’t care what your ranking coming out of high school was, reps and experience trump all.
Right, as Coach Cignetti says, "I'll take production over potential any day".

Ryan Day looks like he’s going to cry or have a nervous breakdown. Mizzou outplayed OSU in the 4th qtr but these bowl games are a joke with so many players sitting out or transferring.
Yep, and it's the reason - especially going forward (12 team Playoff) - that many bowl games will start disappearing with all eyes on the 12-team Playoff

Missouri outplayed OSU from the first play on...

The scored didn't reflect how bad they made OSU look..

I betcha Day's days are almost over, already.
I've read that only 2 OSU coaches have had losing records against Michigan starting right after WW2 - John Cooper and Ryan Day and they were the ONLY non-native Ohio coaches in that time span and they usually lost with better rated talent. Look for Ryan Day to be kicking cans if he flops again next year again. Ha ha, 11-2 is a disaster in Columbus but they looked terrible on Friday and the heat is severely on Day in Columbus

Last edited:

As I said,... OSU has the talent to have every backup as plug-and-play.... or close to it.

But they still could not run the ball even with only 1 OL starter missing That's something that happens almost every week at every school. Also, the fact they had to use a backup 4 star QB is lame....

Mizzou made adjustments and OSU did not.....
Looking at the play-by-play list that is clear just from how successful they were running the ball in the 2nd half...

OSU was out coached in this game.

You said Mizzou was the better team from the opening play, that is emphatically untrue. The vaunted Mizzou offense did absolutely nothing until their last two drives of the game. Nothing.

Okay you're right....

Mizzou's did nothing but control the game when it really counted while OSU never, ever, controlled the game. Sorry, but when your only score comes from having to kick a field goal from 44 yards out isn't controlling anything... it just means you have decent kicker.

And actually, Mizzou controlled the game from their last THREE possessions when they recovered OSU's fumble with 3:13 left in the game and ran out the clock....

OSU never looked good and it wasn't because they lacked the talent.

Okay you're right....

Mizzou's did nothing but control the game when it really counted while OSU never, ever, controlled the game. Sorry, but when your only score comes from having to kick a field goal from 44 yards out isn't controlling anything... it just means you have decent kicker.

And actually, Mizzou controlled the game from their last THREE possessions when they recovered OSU's fumble with 3:13 left in the game and ran out the clock....

OSU never looked good and it wasn't because they lacked the talent.
I never felt like Missouri had a chance of losing that game. O$U's offense was so pitiful - it kind of reminded me of us when we played them the first game. Our defense kept us in the game for a little while, but our Offense did nothing.

Day has the stench of losing about him now with O$U fans. He could be gone mid-season next year. I don't think he's a bad coach necessarily (although he was outcoached against Mizooo), but O$U expectations won't allow a 2 loss season unless one of the losses is in the CFP. And even then, you can't lose 4 consecutive game against the Fighting Harbaughs.

So a couple players stay, the rest still leave. Team is still much weaker..

They opt out to transfer for NIL or other reasons, or to prevent injury. Multi-game is more likelihood of injury not less.

I think saying they stay at a much greater rate, past the four or five teams who do legitimately have a shot, is a fantasy.

Of course the powers that be will sell it your way. For them it's all about cash grabbing, and a playoff with more teams will make more for those connected to it.
They do play if in the CFP tho. It's a fact.

Reactions: midwolfe
Yep, and it's the reason - especially going forward (12 team Playoff) - that many bowl games will start disappearing with all eyes on the 12-team Playoff
They will use the bowl games as playoff sites. The other bowls, we'll see. I'm hoping some rule will be enacted to discourage or disallow transferring until a later date. It maye be a permanent problem though, in which many bowls will yes, start disappearing, potentially.

As I said,... OSU has the talent to have every backup as plug-and-play.... or close to it.

But they still could not run the ball even with only 1 OL starter missing That's something that happens almost every week at every school. Also, the fact they had to use a backup 4 star QB is lame....

Looking at the play-by-play list that is clear just from how successful they were running the ball in the 2nd half...

They couldn't run because Mizzou stacked the box all game, as anyone would when they know you can't throw the ball. Idk what that has to do with coaching. Being a bunch a 4* O Lineman doesn't mean you can road grade 2 dudes at a time every play.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
MO vs. Buckeyes game played out as a game of field position. MO filled the LOS stopping a rush offense. Rookie QB'S couldn't haul the water passing the ball and the field position game was over. END! Game-Set-Match

Reactions: 76-1
They couldn't run becasue Mizzou stacked the box all game, as anyone would when they know you can't throw the ball. Idk what that has to do with coaching. Being a bunch a 4* O Lineman doesn't mean you can road grade 2 dudes at a time every play.

This started with my comment that OSU was outplayed the entire game... that was all I said at first..... and, they were outplayed the entire game.... they did nothing.

As to why they were outplayed it really doesn't matter.

Reactions: DANC and 76-1
This started with my comment that OSU was outplayed the entire game... that was all I said at first..... and, they were outplayed the entire game.... they did nothing.

I don't think they were outplayed the entire game, but regardless, how could it not matter?? The entire conversation this bowl season has been about what a sham it's been with so many key players missing for a variety of reasons. Unless of course the result of the game suits a narrative you want to spin, then it's a totally legit out come worthy & deserving of praise & ridicule. Right?

Reactions: hoosier roadtrips

They couldn’t run the ball because Mizzou stacked the box once OSU’s 3rd string freshman QB who hadn’t attempted a forward pass in his collegiate career was thrust into action. Duh…

OSU literally lead the entire game up until Mizzou’s second to last drive that started in the 4th quarter.

They couldn’t run the ball because Mizzou stacked the box once OSU’s 3rd string freshman QB who hadn’t attempted a forward pass in his collegiate career was thrust into action. Duh…
No Sh!+. I don't understand what is so complicated about that, other than the obvious fact that a lot of people simply WANT to embellish reality & take shots at OSU. I get wanting to, but adults stick to reality & don't distort it to suit their wishes.

This 100% and they're ready to lynch Day in Columbus. He loses his buddy - AD Gene Smith (retiring) who hired him in a couple months - and you can bet the new AD will have the heat on him if Day flops again in the bigger games. It's funny, but 11-2 at OSU is considered a disaster - especially losing to Michigan when OSU supposedly has better roster talent than UM.

Can't stand him, but give the devil his due.......Harbaugh and his staff are the best in the B1G and can really develop talent. Far better than Day and PSU's Franklin

Reactions: DANC and 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT