ADVERTISEMENT

Mizzou

tenor.gif

Even with the opt outs, OSU had loads of more talent. Day is such a dud in big games.
Without a QB there's noone who could have won that game. Mizzou's D is legit. Day has been awesome at OSU. He gets too much flak for not winning big games. They played well enough to beat Michigan, QB made mistakes. They won at ND, which was a HUGE game. When they beat PSU it was also a huge game. NTM is was basically a fluke they didn't win a natty last year. imo.

Ryan Day looks like he’s going to cry or have a nervous breakdown. Mizzou outplayed OSU in the 4th qtr but these bowl games are a joke with so many players sitting out or transferring.
At this point only the CFP matters. The expanded playoff will help, but to REALLY help we'd need a 16, or even 32 team field. Bowl season is over, for all intents & purposes. These games are like watching scrimmages or practices considering how many key players are now missing from nearly every game. Hell, there are a lot of instances where coaches are trying to survive with their 2 deep gone to the portal or draft from many positions. It's ridiculous.

At this point only the CFP matters. The expanded playoff will help, but to REALLY help we'd need a 16, or even 32 team field. Bowl season is over, for all intents & purposes. These games are like watching scrimmages or practices considering how many key players are now missing from nearly every game. Hell, there are a lot of instances where coaches are trying to survive with their 2 deep gone to the portal or draft from many positions. It's ridiculous.
I wouldn’t mind a 10 game regular season with a 32 team playoff.

-24 bids from the Power 4 (6 bids each).
-8 At-large bids.
-Seeds based on selection committee.
- Win and advance bracket
- Lose and enter consolation bracket
- Max 15 games with Finals
- Min 12 games for consolation brackets

Play till you go home.

Although I could see IU missing out most years by not being top 6 in B1G.

Why are players who wont play in a bowl game going to stay to play in a multi-game playoff series?

Why are players who wont play in a bowl game going to stay to play in a multi-game playoff series?
So far, if they're in the hunt for the championship, they play. If the Bowl is meaningless, they stop. So if the games remain meaningful they will play.

As for the meaningless Toilet Bowl bracket, the coaching staffs will need to make sure their depth is ready to play. With the portal, there should be no excuse not to be able to build quality depth.

But for the teams that keep winning, their top players should keep playing. It's also a shortened regular season so the players will likely want to play more for show tape for the NFL.

Reactions: midwolfe
Absolutely dilutes the expectations of the traditional bowl entertainment and the playoff anticipation.

Reactions: red hornet and 76-1
Who they ran out of town. How’d that work out? That said, a team with nothing but 5 stars should be able to run for 300 yards. They are missing CKW bad this year.
Still, back to yesterday's game, it was a loss because of an inexperienced QB. Nothing changes that.

I wouldn’t mind a 10 game regular season with a 32 team playoff.

-24 bids from the Power 4 (6 bids each).
-8 At-large bids.
-Seeds based on selection committee.
- Win and advance bracket
- Lose and enter consolation bracket
- Max 15 games with Finals
- Min 12 games for consolation brackets

Play till you go home.

Although I could see IU missing out most years by not being top 6 in B1G.
I'd take it in a heartbeat

Reactions: IUCX9 and midwolfe
Who they ran out of town. How’d that work out? That said, a team with nothing but 5 stars should be able to run for 300 yards. They are missing CKW bad this year.
You're grossly underestimating Mizzou's defense, ESPECIALLY when they know somebody is going to run the ball every play.

• Love
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Missouri outplayed OSU from the first play on...

The scored didn't reflect how bad they made OSU look..

I betcha Day's days are almost over, already.
Huh? Mizzou had 117 yards and zero points through 3.5 quarters. They came into the game averaging 35 points and 480 yards of offense…and played with a full squad. Ohio St had a ton of opt outs on both sides of the ball plus their MLB was out with an injury. Mizzou finally won the field position game, but OSU’s 2nd and 3rd string players went toe to toe until Mizzou’s depth and experience won out.

Last edited:
Because they have a shot of winning a national title.
So a couple players stay, the rest still leave. Team is still much weaker..

They opt out to transfer for NIL or other reasons, or to prevent injury. Multi-game is more likelihood of injury not less.

I think saying they stay at a much greater rate, past the four or five teams who do legitimately have a shot, is a fantasy.

Of course the powers that be will sell it your way. For them it's all about cash grabbing, and a playoff with more teams will make more for those connected to it.

So far, if they're in the hunt for the championship, they play. If the Bowl is meaningless, they stop. So if the games remain meaningful they will play.
I don't think so. Multigame is more chance for injury. It does seem for the top teams where players legitimately feel they have a shot more will stay. I doubt for others.
How is a bowl win less meaningful than a win and then a loss in the playoffs? I think team number ten gets decimated anyway, if they would've for a bowl.

I don't feel players should leave if their team still has a game though, any game. I think that sort of quitting is low character. They signed on to play. Play it out. So maybe it's just my cynical view.

Probably what will happen is the NCAA will change these transfer rules and if you quit your team early, you sit out a year, or some sort of penalty. Then that will be challenged in court, and be hard to police (Was it a legitimate injury?), etc.

Reactions: hoosier roadtrips
I don't think so. Multigame is more chance for injury. It does seem for the top teams where players legitimately feel they have a shot more will stay. I doubt for others.
How is a bowl win less meaningful than a win and then a loss in the playoffs? I think team number ten gets decimated anyway, if they would've for a bowl.

I don't feel players should leave if their team still has a game though, any game. I think that sort of quitting is low character. They signed on to play. Play it out. So maybe it's just my cynical view.

Probably what will happen is the NCAA will change these transfer rules and if you quit your team early, you sit out a year, or some sort of penalty. Then that will be challenged in court, and be hard to police (Was it a legitimate injury?), etc.
If you dont think so, then tell me how many players are opting out for teams in the 4 team playoff?

It is multi game but it's a shortened regular season to 10. 15 games Max just like it is now. Same amount of risk. And the shorter season may require players who need more NFL film to keep playing. Fans will get more interesting match-ups to watch also.

Teams that lose in the playoffs will lose players. That's for sure, but they're out. The coaches will need to make sure their backups are ready to play. Maybe it will force them to play more backups throughout the year. You don't need to be perfect 13-0 to make playoffs this way. You can be 10-2, 9-3. So coaches can be more free to develop the backups.

The NCAA won't make it better. They just did away with 1 year sit rule. Now players are always immediately eligible.

Reactions: DANC
If you dont think so, then tell me how many players are opting out for teams in the 4 team playoff?
As I said, "It does seem for the top teams where players legitimately feel they have a shot more will stay. I doubt for others."

I do think needing more tape, having the character issue come more to the forefront if opting out earlier, etc. will lead to a higher percentage sticking around.

So yeah, changes things somewhat. Not sure it matters. Those players stick around to the end of the season now. Why cry about a bowl game? The same players will leave at the same time, only now the regular season is shorter.

As I said, "It does seem for the top teams where players legitimately feel they have a shot more will stay. I doubt for others."

I do think needing more tape, having the character issue come more to the forefront if opting out earlier, etc. will lead to a higher percentage sticking around.

So yeah, changes things somewhat. Not sure it matters. Those players stick around to the end of the season now. Why cry about a bowl game? The same players will leave at the same time, only now the regular season is shorter.
It's all hypothetical though so it doesn't really matter.

Huh? Mizzou had 117 yards and zero points through 3.5 quarters. They came into the game averaging 35 points and 480 yards of offense…and played with a full squad. Ohio St had a ton of opt outs on both sides of the ball plus their MLB was out with an injury. Mizzou finally won the field position game, but OSU’s 2nd and 3rd string players went toe to toe until Mizzou’s depth and experience won out.

What do you mean, huh?... Mizzou's depth and experience???.. Okay OSU had 17 opt outs to Missouri's 11 opts... But, Outside of Harrison, McCord and Abor, MOST of OSU's were depth players for them....Not enough to get yourself embarrassed by a bunch of lesser level recruits.... AND, only ONE of OSU's starting OL was gone and they still couldn't run the ball or pass block... Missouri's depth!!! Come on they lost 4 LBs and a Safety to the Opt out and they still kept OSU from moving the ball....

Since just about every player OSU gets is a 4 or 5 star (like their backup QBs) it shouldn't matter who they play, they should be in a plug-and-play situation every game. Every OSU player should still kick the ass of the 3 star they're up against. So, just ONE guy missing from a starting OL is no excuse and the same for ONE key player on D (Abor)...

You obviously didn't see the same game that myself or most others watched. The Opt-Out excuse wasn't as big of a discrepancy as it was made out to be by the media. OSU flat out did not look good and talent and skill level as an excuse is BS and weak...

Missouri is a good team, no doubt, but the depth of their talent doesn't compare to an OSU's....Did you notice OSU couldn't score a TD with all of their super talented 4-5 star recruits?.... I doubt any other power house team could be made to look that bad... FSU being the only exception... but that's a totally different situation and can't be compared. Basically the entire team opted out.

Oh, and here are the stats.... that 2.9 AVG/yds per rush by OSU, while missing only ONE starting OL tells me a different story than what you claim.

Again, Missouri made OSU look bad the entire game.... the score just didn't reflect it.

STATMissouriOhio State
Points143
Total Yds331203
Pass Yds128106
Rush Yds20397
Penalties7-408-57
1st Downs1912
3rd Downs4-162-15
4th Downs3-31-1
Total Plays7157
Avg Yds/Play4.73.6
Avg Yds/Completion11.610.6
Avg Yds/Rush3.82.9
Sack-Adj Rush Yd(Avg)232 (4.9)118 (4.1)
Red Zone2-30-0
Time of Poss33:5326:07
Turnovers (Def Pts Off)0 (0)1 (0)
Fumbles-Lost1-02-1
Sacks (Def Yds)4 (19)6 (36)
TFL (Def Yds)10 (33)8 (38)

You're grossly underestimating Mizzou's defense, ESPECIALLY when they know somebody is going to run the ball every play.
Exactly! The D gameplan devised by MO. starved the run and dared the inexperienced QB's to expose their weaknesses, 'never tested' passing. For the Buckeye offense it was between a Rock and a Hard place. My 13 year old grandson would have devised such an easy, obvious D gameplan.

What do you mean, huh?... Mizzou's depth and experience???.. Okay OSU had 17 opt outs to Missouri's 11 opts... But, Outside of Harrison, McCord and Abor, MOST of OSU's were depth players for them....Not enough to get yourself embarrassed by a bunch of lesser level recruits.... AND, only ONE of OSU's starting OL was gone and they still couldn't run the ball or pass block... Missouri's depth!!! Come on they lost 4 LBs and a Safety to the Opt out and they still kept OSU from moving the ball....

Since just about every player OSU gets is a 4 or 5 star (like their backup QBs) it shouldn't matter who they play, they should be in a plug-and-play situation every game. Every OSU player should still kick the ass of the 3 star they're up against. So, just ONE guy missing from a starting OL is no excuse and the same for ONE key player on D (Abor)...

You obviously didn't see the same game that myself or most others watched. The Opt-Out excuse wasn't as big of a discrepancy as it was made out to be by the media. OSU flat out did not look good and talent and skill level as an excuse is BS and weak...

Missouri is a good team, no doubt, but the depth of their talent doesn't compare to an OSU's....Did you notice OSU couldn't score a TD with all of their super talented 4-5 star recruits?.... I doubt any other power house team could be made to look that bad... FSU being the only exception... but that's a totally different situation and can't be compared. Basically the entire team opted out.

Oh, and here are the stats.... that 2.9 AVG/yds per rush by OSU, while missing only ONE starting OL tells me a different story than what you claim.

Again, Missouri made OSU look bad the entire game.... the score just didn't reflect it.

STATMissouriOhio State
Points143
Total Yds331203
Pass Yds128106
Rush Yds20397
Penalties7-408-57
1st Downs1912
3rd Downs4-162-15
4th Downs3-31-1
Total Plays7157
Avg Yds/Play4.73.6
Avg Yds/Completion11.610.6
Avg Yds/Rush3.82.9
Sack-Adj Rush Yd(Avg)232 (4.9)118 (4.1)
Red Zone2-30-0
Time of Poss33:5326:07
Turnovers (Def Pts Off)0 (0)1 (0)
Fumbles-Lost1-02-1
Sacks (Def Yds)4 (19)6 (36)
TFL (Def Yds)10 (33)8 (38)
You said Mizzou was the better team from the opening play, that is emphatically untrue. The vaunted Mizzou offense did absolutely nothing until their last two drives of the game. Nothing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT