ADVERTISEMENT

Sun Belt U

So the real question is, would the first team all-Sun Belt Conference, contend in the B1G? I know one thing, I can't fathom they would do much worse than we have. In the end, coaching can overcome a lot. These guys have to at least be average in talent so as long as Cig is a good coach, he should be able to do something with them.

So the real question is, would the first team all-Sun Belt Conference, contend in the B1G? I know one thing, I can't fathom they would do much worse than we have. In the end, coaching can overcome a lot. These guys have to at least be average in talent so as long as Cig is a good coach, he should be able to do something with them.
He was originally a Boston College commit so obviously flashed P5 potential coming out of high school.

The other ODU safety has committed to IU. Cig liked them both. Who are we to question a guy who is 119-35 in his career. "Get the right guys on the bus, and the right guys off the bus"

Last edited:
When our NIL funds are a tiny fraction of Ohio State's, Coach has to direct them wisely.

i like it. Stuff around the web seems to show that this guy hits and tackles... Only a couple INTs compared to a bunch of tackles in his career. so maybe not some freak ball hawk, but sounds like he can play!

Way to see the light, welcome to the HOOSIERS.

Obviously not all these guys will be starters or even 2 deep. But with C3's montra of "nothing is given it is earned" they can certainly push those that are "higher rated". That can only make the whole team better along with better coaching.

When our NIL funds are a tiny fraction of Ohio State's, Coach has to direct them wisely.

i like it. Stuff around the web seems to show that this guy hits and tackles... Only a couple INTs compared to a bunch of tackles in his career. so maybe not some freak ball hawk, but sounds like he can play!

Way to see the light, welcome to the HOOSIERS.

There are only 2-4 teams in this conference that are going to compete with OSU on an NIL collective.
IU certainly is not close to being at the bottom of the conference in NIL.
We compete with those around us.

After the last 3 seasons, I yearn to be even mediocre, ala 6-6. Or, dare I say 7-5 and 4-5 in conference? With TA, Walt, Hiller and that gang running things, the 3-24 in conference record the last 3 seasons, leaves lots of room for improvement to mediocrity…and we’d all be giddy if it happened next year.

I’ve mentioned this before recently, but a good number of Mal’s first class were guys he was recruiting to NIU. All but Ernie Jones redshirted that year and in the following 4 seasons, so many of those guys were starting on winning BT teams. Mal brought a ready made staff ready to Coach ‘em up!!!

After the last 3 seasons, I yearn to be even mediocre, ala 6-6. Or, dare I say 7-5 and 4-5 in conference? With TA, Walt, Hiller and that gang running things, the 3-24 in conference record the last 3 seasons, leaves lots of room for improvement to mediocrity…and we’d all be giddy if it happened next year.

I’ve mentioned this before recently, but a good number of Mal’s first class were guys he was recruiting to NIU. All but Ernie Jones redshirted that year and in the following 4 seasons, so many of those guys were starting on winning BT teams. Mal brought a ready made staff ready to Coach ‘em up!!!
Mal couldn't bring in 22 upper classmen to a team that lost 5 games by less than 10 points.

Kool Aid Man GIF

Cig just grabbed another DB from Old Dominion. I’ll trust he’s getting guys he wants.

Coaching matters, so we will see.

Hoosier faithful, look yonder. Across the parking lot. There it is. Do you see it? There is a team of guys that are fairly highly rated recruits and, alas, they have no coaching. They are circling the bottom of the porcelain bowl.

Coaching matters and if you have talent but a bad coach, doesn’t matter how many stars are next to the name.

Coaching matters, so we will see.

Hoosier faithful, look yonder. Across the parking lot. There it is. Do you see it? There is a team of guys that are fairly highly rated recruits and, alas, they have no coaching. They are circling the bottom of the porcelain bowl.

Coaching matters and if you have talent but a bad coach, doesn’t matter how many stars are next to the name.
IU hired a winning football coach...

The fact that the whole brain trust came along for the ride; gives me confidence that this guy is going to hit the ground running. When was the last time that we had this much stability at the top of the coaching staff?

You don't win like this guy at so many levels & not know what you are doing.

So, bottom line; there is no more bad coaching for IU football.

Top to bottom; we have the best coaching staff at IU that I can remember for decades.. I give a big plus for all HC games this guy has participated in (119-35). No more on the job training trying to go from OC to HC. So, you gotta go way back to tell me the last IU HC hired with this kind of track record for winning - 40's, 50's, & 60's? Mallory had several wins under his belt (64-40). Hep had a good HC record coming in (48-25).

Enjoy the Ride that will be IU Football!!

Last edited:
Hope we are not drinking Kool aid
It’s worth remembering imo that most of the JMU guys are, realistically speaking, “FCS guys” (JMU became FBS in 2022 iirc) as much or more than “G5 guys” and I expect most to likely be depth pieces. The Troy defense, however, was the real deal and those guys, along with Sarratt, might well start. And it’s not as if there aren’t FCS guys playing in the NFL every year.

Having said that, I feel the improved depth (especially in terms of coping with injuries) and upgraded coaching make at least 6 wins more than doable, especially with the 2024 schedule.

I still hold out hope for some future announcement re: facility upgrades, ideally starting with Mellencamp.

It’s worth remembering imo that most of the JMU guys are, realistically speaking, “FCS guys” (JMU became FBS in 2022 iirc) as much or more than “G5 guys” and I expect most to likely be depth pieces. ...
But that's the thing. If they turn out to be depth pieces because they can't play at a true big ten level, then they aren't depth. They're wasted roster spots.

When we're a mid-level program like IU (I'm being historically generous) we can't have much difference between the starters and the depth. All have to play. And play well.

So, I'm a little concerned of a few of the guys we got. Most no. Some yeah.

Last edited:
It’s worth remembering imo that most of the JMU guys are, realistically speaking, “FCS guys” (JMU became FBS in 2022 iirc) as much or more than “G5 guys” and I expect most to likely be depth pieces. The Troy defense, however, was the real deal and those guys, along with Sarratt, might well start. And it’s not as if there aren’t FCS guys playing in the NFL every year.

Having said that, I feel the improved depth (especially in terms of coping with injuries) and upgraded coaching make at least 6 wins more than doable, especially with the 2024 schedule.

I still hold out hope for some future announcement re: facility upgrades, ideally starting with Mellencamp.
I don't bye this depth thing. That's like saying portal basketball players can't play in the BIG. There are a ton of guys killing it this year from small schools. The DL Carpenter from JMU will start. The LB is very fast and can upgrade our pass coverage. The DE from JMU Kamara will start. The LG Stephens will start. I am dreaming about McCulley, Sarratt, Omar Cooper and 1 more as a 4 receiver set.

I don't bye this depth thing. That's like saying portal basketball players can't play in the BIG. There are a ton of guys killing it this year from small schools. The DL Carpenter from JMU will start. The LB is very fast and can upgrade our pass coverage. The DE from JMU Kamara will start. The LG Stephens will start. I am dreaming about McCulley, Sarratt, Omar Cooper and 1 more as a 4 receiver set.
I'm not predicting starting lineups overall, especially before a spring game, but the DLs you mentioned are undersized by B1G standards, so if they start, their technique and quickness will need to make up for their size. The OL I'm not so worried about, assuming he'd be playing alongside C Smith, Wedig, et al.

The Troy guys, from what I saw of them last fall, can start. As for the secondary guys, I'm not sure if the JMU/ODU guys are up to the task or not, but given the roster they're joining, they may well get every chance to prove if they are.

Had a chance to see the CSU guy Coach Williams coached play--again, a tad undersized but at least showed some mobility fwiw.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I'm not predicting starting lineups overall, especially before a spring game, but the DLs you mentioned are undersized by B1G standards, so if they start, their technique and quickness will need to make up for their size. The OL I'm not so worried about, assuming he'd be playing alongside C Smith, Wedig, et al.

The Troy guys, from what I saw of them last fall, can start. As for the secondary guys, I'm not sure if the JMU/ODU guys are up to the task or not, but given the roster they're joining, they may well get every chance to prove if they are.

Had a chance to see the CSU guy Coach Williams coached play--again, a tad undersized but at least showed some mobility fwiw.
I think we are changing to an attack 4-3 instead of gap pluggers. Watching Carpenter on film he is very quick at 290. Guys with smarts and technique can play faster. Again IU has recruited a Sun Belt and MAC all star team not Sun Belt depth players. The coach is 119-35 and was an assistant at Bama and NC State. He can evaluate talent. I love the fact he is trying to build veteran depth not huge drop off depth.

I think we are changing to an attack 4-3 instead of gap pluggers. Watching Carpenter on film he is very quick at 290. Guys with smarts and technique can play faster. Again IU has recruited a Sun Belt and MAC all star team not Sun Belt depth players. The coach is 119-35 and was an assistant at Bama and NC State. He can evaluate talent. I love the fact he is trying to build veteran depth not huge drop off depth.
Speaking of Bama, I saw where they lost, what, 9 guys to the portal in about 15 minutes this week? Including the poor kid who flubbed the snap to the QB at the end of overtime vs Michigan....probably a pretty decent center prospect fwiw

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT