ADVERTISEMENT

Some thoughts on game

Ty Webb iu

All-American
May 16, 2009
Cupps did a great job on McDaniel. Frustrated him early and McDaniel never got going. And Cupps had only 1 turnover in 32 minutes. Solid.

Walker is a big upgrade over Geronimo.

Ware has one of the softest touches I've seen.

Gunn had some important plays, but also some plays where you go...what are you doing? He's looking better though.

Reneau is unstoppable 1 on 1 in the post.

This team is fun to watch.

IU money line paid well.

Great win!

McDaniel still got 13. Pts
Cupps ..2 pts Imo. Cupps is gonna struggle with either quicker guys than him..Or taller physically stronger guys..
And that about all of the Big Ten..
That said ..I give him props for battling he's not afraid to stick his nose in plays.

Cupps ..2 pts Imo. Cupps is gonna struggle with either quicker guys than him..Or taller physically stronger guys..
That said ..I give him props for battling he's not afraid to stick his nose in plays.
Remember Cupps is a true freshmen, and playing in what, his second or third start?
He will be better by January and then again in March. I expect a weight and strength gain by next October.

Reactions: kmathum
Cupps did a great job on McDaniel. Frustrated him early and McDaniel never got going. And Cupps had only 1 turnover in 32 minutes. Solid.

Gunn had some important plays, but also some plays where you go...what are you doing? He's looking better though.

IU money line paid well.

Great win!
I agree about Ware. In fact, to me, he looks so good he is done after this year.

Reactions: Ty Webb iu

IU money line paid well.

Great win!
kudos to anyone who bet IU and the O/U. You had a good night.

Reactions: Spartans9312
I agree about Ware. In fact, to me, he looks so good he is done after this year.
I think just about all of us are in agreement on that issue. The fact that he looks like this now, after whatever happened out in Oregon...along with TJD...should be great selling points to the Derik Queens of the world.

Now, if we just had some guards who could dribble drive, and hit 3s consistently...we'd be set.

Reactions: larlane
McDaniel had a lot of free throws at the end where he bullied Cupps and got the call. Gabe was very good last night

IU money line paid well.

Great win!
Geronimo is flat out awful no queston walker is better.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Remember Cupps is a true freshmen, and playing in what, his second or third start?
He will be better by January and then again in March. I expect a weight and strength gain by next October.
This I think is the biggest thing for us moving forward. X’s injury is obviously impactful, but it is allowing us to get CJ and Cupps significant run and strengthen our glaring weakness in guard depth. Those minutes are impactful, as you saw CJ with an ugly brick in his first look before shooting himself into a rhythm. Cupps getting minutes now is going to play huge dividends in February. Plus, they both play great D that can help offset freshman blunders like the errant post feed CJ had to Malik towards the end of the 1st half.

McDaniel scored 13 pts on 14 shots lol. He was averaging 21 points on the same number of attempts coming into the game, on top of just 2 assists. That's elite defense.

I think just about all of us are in agreement on that issue. The fact that he looks like this now, after whatever happened out in Oregon...along with TJD...should be great selling points to the Derik Queens of the world.

Now, if we just had some guards who could dribble drive, and hit 3s consistently...we'd be set.
Good point about recruiting bigs.
And no 3 pt shooters will keep us as a middle of the road team. Flirt with top 25 maybe even top 20, but I don’t see us looking at league championships or deep tourney runs.

This I think is the biggest thing for us moving forward. X’s injury is obviously impactful, but it is allowing us to get CJ and Cupps significant run and strengthen our glaring weakness in guard depth. Those minutes are impactful, as you saw CJ with an ugly brick in his first look before shooting himself into a rhythm. Cupps getting minutes now is going to play huge dividends in February. Plus, they both play great D that can help offset freshman blunders like the errant post feed CJ had to Malik towards the end of the 1st half.
I agree about impactful minutes. CJ might be the most important as maybe he could hit some threes and has the length to play D and rebound

Terrible take. Really, really bad. McDaniel was 3 for 14 from the floor, 0 for 4 from 3. Several of McDaniels points came with others guarding him. Cupps definitely frustrated him early and he never got off.

And no 3 pt shooters will keep us as a middle of the road team. Flirt with top 25 maybe even top 20, but I don’t see us looking at league championships or deep tourney runs.
I'm not so sure about that. Our bigs are elite. Our guards can defend. This team can do some things, imo.

But McDaniel averages 20 so he was held 7 points lower. Good D.

should have also mentioned MR.....he still frustrates me sometimes....lazy/silly fouls, not passing out of double team, but he's definitely bumped his game up a couple notches so far this year. His lefty baby hook in the lane is as good as anyones.

Road win in Big Ten always good. Solid contributions from several including Gunn.

Both Cupps and Gunn had some solid defensive play and used their skills to make plays and frustrate UM leading scorer. Gunn also hit two big 3 pointers that were needed last night. Subbing Mac and setting up inbounds play to get him ball and fouled at the end was great coaching.

Team is still developing as I thought and actually a little better than I expected at this point. I would never expect the production out of Ware or Galloway to shoot threes so bad.

Go Hoosiers beat Auburn.

McDaniel had a lot of free throws at the end where he bullied Cupps and got the call. Gabe was very good last night
Those foul calls on McDaniels running layup prayers were frustrating. The game was very physical with the refs letting lots of contact go both ways the entire game. Then he gets those calls in the last 5 mins? A 150 lb guy getting moved on body contact while tossing up a prayer in the paint should not be a foul. If they hit his wrist or arm - yes, it’s a foul. Otherwise, it isn’t.

Reactions: stollcpa and dr.jb
Terrible take. Really, really bad. McDaniel was 3 for 14 from the floor, 0 for 4 from 3. Several of McDaniels points came with others guarding him. Cupps definitely frustrated him early and he never got off.
Ha..
I've been around and seen big boy basketball for 50 yrs..including NBA guy's.
So I stand by it...

Those foul calls on McDaniels running layup prayers were frustrating. The game was very physical with the refs letting lots of contact go both ways the entire game. Then he gets those calls in the last 5 mins? A 150 lb guy getting moved on body contact while tossing up a prayer in the paint should not be a foul. If they hit his wrist or arm - yes, it’s a foul. Otherwise, it isn’t.

I worry about the terrible big ten refs going into each game almost as much as I worry about the Hoosiers outside shooting.

Cupps ran the offense most of the night while shutting down McDaniel. Some of those 13 points came off other players that were guarding him; 7 of those 13 were FTs. He played well for a freshman and will make progress while starting as the point.

Last edited:
He is averaging 20 a game and had 30+ in their last game.
Holding to 13 is pretty good

He is averaging 20 a game and had 30+ in their last game.
Holding to 13 is pretty good
And McDaniel never made an impact in the lane, He didn't break our defense down. Credit goes to Cupp who did a great job of going over (weak ass) screens, not losing him near the 3 line, and not getting caught (much) in bad switches where he was guarding a stronger player. He had no issues with DMs quickness ..

He stayed close on his hip, and funneled him into help. Which is exactly what he should have done ... Gabe also had two fouls on him leading to 4 FT which could have gone the other way. The 2nd one was sketchy.

He was also helped out a bit by McDaniel, who didn't look to create for anyone but himself. Quite a dribbling exhibition DM put on in the first half though ... lol ... that led to a lot of expended energy for nothing. He looked like a clown ..

Last edited:
And McDaniel never made an impact in the lane, He didn't break our defense down. Credit goes to Cupp who did a great job of going over (weak ass) screens, not losing him near the 3 line, and not getting caught (much) in bad switches where he was guarding a stronger player. He had no issues with DMs quickness ..

He stayed close on his hip, and funneled him into help. Which is exactly what he should have done ... Gabe also had two fouls on him leading to 4 FT which could have gone the other way. The 2nd one was sketchy.

He was also helped out a bit by McDaniel, who didn't look to create for anyone but himself. Quite a dribbling exhibition DM put on in the first half though ... lol ... that led to a lot of expended energy for nothing. He looked like a clown ..

Do you think that after Gabe was staying with him and picked his pocket, that there was an element of "Look rookie, I will show you can't guard me"?
Seemed like Gabe was in his head because of the jawing going on.

Cupps would struggle with Michael Jordan in his prime. Trust me, i have watched 37 years of big boy ball. I suggest you start watching big boy ball, then you will understand too.

But i will give him credit attempting to guard Dug. 0 pts or failure when you are used to big boy ball, give him credit for attempting to play big boy ball though. Us in the real big boy ball world are not fooled though.
Who the fu$& are you?

Cupps would struggle with Michael Jordan in his prime. Trust me, i have watched 37 years of big boy ball. I suggest you start watching big boy ball, then you will understand too.

But i will give him credit attempting to guard Dug. 0 pts or failure when you are used to big boy ball, give him credit for attempting to play big boy ball though. Us in the real big boy ball world are not fooled though.
Wut?

• Love
Reactions: .Gerdis

🤣 WTF are you talking about?

Who wouldn’t struggle with Michael Jordan whether he was in his prime or not . He was one of the best to play the game .

Reactions: .Gerdis
Holy Hell. It was sarcasm. I feel bad having to even say that. I figured it was pretty obvious when i brought up a comparison of Cupps guarding the best basketball player of all time.

I was not going to quote 3 messages so i just replied to the most recent one that seemed relevant.

All the answers to the extreme sarcasm are in this thread.

Reactions: T.M.P.
Holy Hell. It was sarcasm. I feel bad having to even say that. I figured it was pretty obvious when i brought up a comparison of Cupps guarding the best basketball player of all time.

I was not going to quote 3 messages so i just replied to the most recent one that seemed relevant.

All the answers to the extreme sarcasm are in this thread.
That’s some terrible sarcasm. When it comes to sarcasm on this board. We’ve been looking at sarcasm for more than 37 years.,

That’s some terrible sarcasm. When it comes to sarcasm on this board. We’ve been looking at sarcasm for more than 37 years.,
All good. I deleted it.

Basically i came on here to see if anyone else thought Cupps played good defense on Dug.
Literally the first thing OP mentioned in this post was Cupps defense and then right on que the first reply is.....

"McDaniel still got 13. Pts
Cupps ..2 pts Imo. Cupps is gonna struggle with either quicker guys than him..Or taller physically stronger guys.."

I guess it just rubbed me the wrong way before the morning coffee.

I will just stay on the sidelines like i normally do.

Hoping this win was a momentum builder. Go Hoosiers!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT