ADVERTISEMENT

Soccer

USA Water Polo has a 70+ division for their Masters Nationals. Last year one of the teams was all 75+ players.

That is truly amazing. We had our Boxing Day game today and there are guys sitting out already who are still in their 50s. One guy in his 50s already had hip and knee replacements. I guess luck like so much else

Reactions: Noodle
Nobody on our team's ever been there....maybe Lars knows...

What kind of parent seating is there at "Sogility" up by Grand Park? Anyone know? Need tailgate chairs?

Nobody on our team's ever been there....maybe Lars knows...

What kind of parent seating is there at "Sogility" up by Grand Park? Anyone know? Need tailgate chairs?
omfg i just looked that place up. you've got to be kidding me. cruyff had a street curb. and has a move named after him. pele had an orange. messi couldn't even grow. absurd

Not much. An upstairs loft.

you know he was on the cosmos too. it's crazy to think of hte names that play for them. chinaglia. pele. cruyff. beckenbauer. they brought in the stars long before mls. and what's really cool is back then they'd warm up with games against local schools like fordham and adelphi and liu etc. some random college kids playing beckenbauer etc. tv and real estate i think are what separate nasl and mls

Reactions: larsIU
tv and real estate i think are what separate nasl and mls
Overall talent is better. And with teh youth academies i think, within a generation or so, MLS (or whatever i's call by then, hopefully not MLS) will be a top 4 league in the world.

Call me a dreamer

Overall talent is better. And with teh youth academies i think, within a generation or so, MLS (or whatever i's call by then, hopefully not MLS) will be a top 4 league in the world.

Call me a dreamer
i agree with you. i think more and more money will get invested and it'll grow. what's kind of weird tho is so many teams built small stadiums. citypark here only holds $22,000. not sure like what cincy @Noodle holds. they might have screwed up on that front.

the guy who owns our local soccer store was the gk for all those cosmos teams in the 70s/80s. has incredible stories

i agree with you. i think more and more money will get invested and it'll grow. what's kind of weird tho is so many teams built small stadiums. citypark here only holds $22,000. not sure like what cincy @Noodle holds. they might have screwed up on that front.

the guy who owns our local soccer store was the gk for all those cosmos teams in the 70s/80s. has incredible stories
I think they played at that Ichan Stadium for a bit...think it's just on Long Island when heading to LGA from the City...or at least that's what a cabbie told me one time.

• Love
Reactions: mcmurtry66

Apropos to nothing, EPL stadiums

Many are pretty small (obviously smaller clubs, recently promoted, etc.). I'm not sure stadium size will be a problem in the US if there's enough money in it.

Apropos to nothing, EPL stadiums

Many are pretty small (obviously smaller clubs, recently promoted, etc.). I'm not sure stadium size will be a problem in the US if there's enough money in it.
mls should buy usl and have relegation. and play open cup

• Love
I think they played at that Ichan Stadium for a bit...think it's just on Long Island when heading to LGA from the City...or at least that's what a cabbie told me one time.
Actually, it was called Downing Stadium...Ichan is apparently new, but at the same site...

"The New York Cosmos of the NASL moved to Downing in 1974. On June 15, 1975, Pelé made his NASL debut against the Dallas Tornado with 21,567 spectators in attendance and a national television audience on CBS.[12] The stadium's condition was derided by team staff and television commentators; prior to Pelé's debut match, the field had broken glass and other litter that was cleared before green paint was added to improve its appearance for television audiences. The locker room roof had holes that were patched hours before.[13] In 1976, the Cosmos moved out, back to Yankee Stadium (where they had spent their debut season in 1971); for years afterward, the words "COSMOS SOCCER" remained on the stadium to be seen from the nearby highway viaduct on the Triborough Bridge. Downing's last pro soccer tenant were the New York Centaurs of the A-League in 1995.

The site was considered for a 48,000-seat capacity soccer specific stadium, based on the design of the City of Manchester Stadium, had the New York City bid for the 2012 Summer Olympics been successful. The plan was shelved when New York lost out to London."

Actually, it was called Downing Stadium...Ichan is apparently new, but at the same site...

"The New York Cosmos of the NASL moved to Downing in 1974. On June 15, 1975, Pelé made his NASL debut against the Dallas Tornado with 21,567 spectators in attendance and a national television audience on CBS.[12] The stadium's condition was derided by team staff and television commentators; prior to Pelé's debut match, the field had broken glass and other litter that was cleared before green paint was added to improve its appearance for television audiences. The locker room roof had holes that were patched hours before.[13] In 1976, the Cosmos moved out, back to Yankee Stadium (where they had spent their debut season in 1971); for years afterward, the words "COSMOS SOCCER" remained on the stadium to be seen from the nearby highway viaduct on the Triborough Bridge. Downing's last pro soccer tenant were the New York Centaurs of the A-League in 1995.

The site was considered for a 48,000-seat capacity soccer specific stadium, based on the design of the City of Manchester Stadium, had the New York City bid for the 2012 Summer Olympics been successful. The plan was shelved when New York lost out to London."

Amazing!!!

mls should buy usl and have relegation. and play open cup
HAS to happen.

Premier and 2nd Division.

Maybe offer a 60/40 pooled income split for the first 10 years, then 70/30 after that. Ditch the stupid playoffs.

Elevate/Relegate 5 teams each year to mix it up and offer opportunity.

I'd be much more interested in driving to Indy for an 11 game if elevation or relegation was on the line.

HAS to happen.

Premier and 2nd Division.

Maybe offer a 60/40 pooled income split for the first 10 years, then 70/30 after that. Ditch the stupid playoffs.

Elevate/Relegate 5 teams each year to mix it up and offer opportunity.

I'd be much more interested in driving to Indy for an 11 game if elevation or relegation was on the line.
Would be so great!!! And yes the playoffs are the worst

Holds 26,000. They're also working on a $300 million development project around the stadium (hotel, apartments, etc.). Not sure if they could expand TQL Stadium down the road. Thought they once said it could go to 30,000 - which would match Nashville as the largest soccer-specific stadiums in the U.S. Right now TQL is the 4th largest in the U.S.

Holds 26,000. They're also working on a $300 million development project around the stadium (hotel, apartments, etc.). Not sure if they could expand TQL Stadium down the road. Thought they once said it could go to 30,000 - which would match Nashville as the largest soccer-specific stadiums in the U.S. Right now TQL is the 4th largest in the U.S.
That capacity seems perfect

Fvck city, damn terrorist supporters. De Bruyne with a goal and assist in less than a half.

Silva’s goal was nasty

• Haha
It's always entertaining fixture at least.

I remember losing 0-3 at HT against Spurs away but won 5-3. I remember the GF at that time freaking out at halftime and then delirious at full time. She was pumped up for hours after. Never wanted to miss a united match after.
Think she has married some guy and moved to FL now.

It's always entertaining fixture at least.

I remember losing 0-3 at HT against Spurs away but won 5-3. I remember the GF at that time freaking out at halftime and then delirious at full time. She was pumped up for hours after. Never wanted to miss a united match after.
Think she has married some guy and moved to FL now.
Asian cup duty? Wtf is that. That can’t be important to son than spurs

Asian cup duty? Wtf is that. That can’t be important to son than spurs

He is a national team captain, so its tough for him to skip it.

The Asian Cup is the Asian equivalent of the European Championship, but much crappier. Japan and Korea are the best, with the Aussies, Saudis, and Iran drifting in & out of the top tier.

Plus Son knows which side of his bread is buttered. He makes millions annually from his Korean-based endorsements.

He is a national team captain, so its tough for him to skip it.

The Asian Cup is the Asian equivalent of the European Championship, but much crappier. Japan and Korea are the best, with the Aussies, Saudis, and Iran drifting in & out of the top tier.

Plus Son knows which side of his bread is buttered. He makes millions annually from his Korean-based endorsements.
Got it

Mourinho canned. Sad. Hate his style but love him. Times are changing. And looks like the final swan song is in place as shrek trained yesterday. Busquets Messi alba and Suarez, winners of everything in 2015, training in a temporary stadium in Lauderdale behind the bombed out warehouse district. Who’d have thunk it

• Haha
Ahhh the FA Cup.

6th tier National League South darlings Maidstone United to the fifth round with a 2-1 win over Championship side Ipswich (likely to be a PL team next year). Over 100 spots between them. Amazing.

At Ipswich too. Legends.

Reactions: mattndallas
Ahhh the FA Cup.

6th tier National League South darlings Maidstone United to the fifth round with a 2-1 win over Championship side Ipswich (likely to be a PL team next year). Over 100 spots between them. Amazing.

At Ipswich too. Legends.
The best!!!!

@larsIU @sglowrider mbappe to real. He’s who United need

Mbappe to RM was always in the cards.

But even then, mbappe is a LW/inside forward or a central striker. (I think he is better as an inside forward than playing centrally.)

We have a number of LWs incl Rashford and a kid called Garnacho. We may land up cashing in on Rashford this summer. PSG will need a replacement.

Then we have Hojlund as the central striker who just turned 21 like 4 days ago.

We also have a pretty good batch of U-18s coming up. Played 14, won 14. A new class of 92?

We tend to play the players up a year or two. So, many or not majority of U-18s are even qualified for U-16s.

Mbappe isn't the highest priority at the moment.

Agree with @sglowrider

One player ain’t change going united. I don’t know Mainoo, Hoijlund, garnacho are the next class of 92 but it’s that kind of ground up rebuild that is needed.

If united could figure out a CB pairing they wouldn’t be half bad.

• Love
Reactions: sglowrider
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT