ADVERTISEMENT

Soccer

True, soccer is a well known cure for insomnia.
And then, when mcm starts talking about soccer, it's like this, but with Sominex...

hose_to_the_face-DMID1-5by5pqey6-320x170.gif

(says the guy who drones on about his childhood... ;))

PSG are the absolute worst piles of sh!t in the whole of soccerdom. No excuses now not to win champions league though right?
Honestly he's 34. Greatest ever but not like he was 26. Neymar will be hurt half the year. Depends on mbappe I think. He might go to real now.

What do you think?

Honestly he's 34. Greatest ever but not like he was 26. Neymar will be hurt half the year. Depends on mbappe I think. He might go to real now.

What do you think?
Tough to say. They don’t really need Messi in the craptastic Ligue 1. But he may need some reps to get a feel for everyone. Then again he’s Messi so maybe not. Gotta keep his mileage down. The real question is does this push Pogba to PSG or do they even have the money to do it. I don’t follow PSG enough to know.

In a perfect world Mbappe would get his supremely talented ass to the Premier League and play against the toughest competition. But alas that probably won’t happen and he’ll end up at Real. La Liga should be getting a huge cash infusion. I think ESPN paid like 1 billion or something for broadcasting rights in the US. So however that trickles down to the teams and the return of fans means Real might actually have money next year.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Tough to say. They don’t really need Messi in the craptastic Ligue 1. But he may need some reps to get a feel for everyone. Then again he’s Messi so maybe not. Gotta keep his mileage down. The real question is does this push Pogba to PSG or do they even have the money to do it. I don’t follow PSG enough to know.

In a perfect world Mbappe would get his supremely talented ass to the Premier League and play against the toughest competition. But alas that probably won’t happen and he’ll end up at Real. La Liga should be getting a huge cash infusion. I think ESPN paid like 1 billion or something for broadcasting rights in the US. So however that trickles down to the teams and the return of fans means Real might actually have money next year.
ESPN has got to be pissed that Messi is leaving La Liga.

Agreed. Mbappe could play a role like eto'o used to play back at the start of the Barca run. But who knows. He might rather be the big dog at real. Crazy transfer summer

Reactions: larsIU
Opening day of the Premier League kicks off with Brentford. Last time they played in the league was 1946. relegation is one of the greatest things in sports lost on american sports. less than 20 years ago brentford was playing in the third div.

Reactions: Zizkov and larsIU
Opening day of the Premier League kicks off with Brentford. Last time they played in the league was 1946. relegation is one of the greatest things in sports lost on american sports. less than 20 years ago brentford was playing in the third div.

Leicester City are one of the greatest team sports stories in the past century that Americans know nothing about.

Reactions: Zizkov
Cliffs notes reason as to why? I’m genuinely interested....
So Leicester have been around in English soccer/football since like 1884 but were always middling team that occasionally had some success. They were generally in the 2nd or 3rd division.

English soccer works on a tier system:

Premier League
Championship
League One
League Two
Non League

Generally the bottom three teams in each league (by record) will be relegated (sent down) to the lower league and replaced with the top three teams from the league below (see McM's post about Brentford above - the were "promoted" from the Championship to the Premier League). There are huge money difference between the leagues, so promotion/relegation have huge financial consequences.

Back to Leicester. By 1996 Leicester had made it to the Premier League (top league) and finished in the top 10 (avoiding any relegation worries) for four years. However, they started to fall apart around 2000 slipping as low as the third tier (League One) by 2008 or so. They then got bought by a very wealthy Thai businessman who began investing in the club. They steadily got better and moved back up through the ranks getting promoted to the Championship and then back into the Premier League in 2014 and almost got relegated again, however, they managed to "stay up" as they call it. However, along the way they made a bunch of good signings of young players on good deals (household names like Riyad Mahrez, N'golo Kante, Jamie Vardy, etc) and ended up, out of nowhwere, winning the Premier League title in the 2015-16 season. They are only the 7th different team to win the Premier League since the top tier was renamed in 1992. The others are generally powerhouses of European football (Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester City, etc).

So to McM's point, teams in European football have a huge incentive to not suck or tank b/c doing so has huge financial penalties.

Leicester, to their credit, is not just a flash in the pan. They have stayed a top 10 side since their return, often finishing above teams like Tottenham and Arsenal which are much larger in size.

On edit: that isn't really a cliff notes version, haha.

So Leicester have been around in English soccer/football since like 1884 but were always middling team that occasionally had some success. They were generally in the 2nd or 3rd division.

Premier League
Championship
League One
League Two
Non League

Generally the bottom three teams in each league (by record) will be relegated (sent down) to the lower league and replaced with the top three teams from the league below (see McM's post about Brentford above - the were "promoted" from the Championship to the Premier League). There are huge money difference between the leagues, so promotion/relegation have huge financial consequences.

Back to Leicester. By 1996 Leicester had made it to the Premier League (top league) and finished in the top 10 (avoiding any relegation worries) for four years. However, they started to fall apart around 2000 slipping as low as the third tier (League One) by 2008 or so. They then got bought by a very wealthy Thai businessman who began investing in the club. They steadily got better and moved back up through the ranks getting promoted to the Championship and then back into the Premier League in 2014 and almost got relegated again, however, they managed to "stay up" as they call it. However, along the way they made a bunch of good signings of young players on good deals (household names like Riyad Mahrez, N'golo Kante, Jamie Vardy, etc) and ended up, out of nowhwere, winning the Premier League title in the 2015-16 season. They are only the 7th different team to win the Premier League since the top tier was renamed in 1992. The others are generally powerhouses of European football (Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester City, etc).

So to McM's point, teams in European football have a huge incentive to not suck or tank b/c doing so has huge financial penalties.

Leicester, to their credit, is not just a flash in the pan. They have stayed a top 10 side since their return, often finishing above teams like Tottenham and Arsenal which are much larger in size.

much appreciated!!

Premier League
Championship
League One
League Two
Non League

Household names?

Whose household?

Damn. Michael Jordan gets 5% of the profit off of all psg jerseys sold. he made 7 million bucks last weekend alone

Nope. you beat me to it so I guess i'm last. too funny. William and not bill threw us off the scent. I didn't realize he had brothers either. yeah pricey. different too
Isn't Brian Doyle Murray the caddie master in Caddyshack?

"Yo Angie, pick up that blood!"

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
Nope. you beat me to it so I guess i'm last. too funny. William and not bill threw us off the scent. I didn't realize he had brothers either. yeah pricey. different too
You seriously did not know Brian Doyle-Murray is Bill's brother? And his son Luke is an assistant basketball coach at UConn. His son used to be an assistant here in Cincy at Xavier, and Bill came to a lot of games. He then went to Louisville with Chris Mack, but Mack fired him last Spring.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT