ADVERTISEMENT

Roe overturned. Be kind

She and my wife should get together. Trying to decide where to go eat is like negotiating a nuclear treaty with Iran.

Even when I capitulate and say "I don't care" for the 100th time, she still can't decide.
That’s my wife too. There’s something about making a decision that my wife just doesn’t like. We’re being sexists just for saying this - probably.

It’s not irrational. Many many many women are pissed. I don’t think they will fit get it in a few months. I’ve never seen so many young people on Instagram posting political things. This one has riled women up and rightfully so. Helpful hint: don’t tell your wife you think her anger is irrational if you ever want out of the basement.
I ain’t stupid. There’s a daughter too. I’m outnumbered.

Stopped at the gas station this morning on my way to work. USA Today headline says “supreme court’s legitimacy in question after ruling”.

The media in this country is such a joke.
MemberS of Congress are calling for the impeachment of justices, the media blows but they are merely the messaging arm of the parties. Our precious Democracy gets tossed out the window really quick when things don't go their way.

Stopped at the gas station this morning on my way to work. USA Today headline says “supreme court’s legitimacy in question after ruling”.

The media in this country is such a joke.
The media tracks the opinions of 17 year old singers. Olivia Margarita. Driver License

Reactions: DANC
MemberS of Congress are calling for the impeachment of justices, the media blows but they are merely the messaging arm of the parties. Our precious Democracy gets tossed out the window really quick when things don't go their way.
That’s freaking ridiculous. Attacking our institutions is just fine if the cause is right.

That’s freaking ridiculous. Attacking our institutions is just fine if the cause is right.
Envision a leftist court upholding gun laws. What would the response from teh right be?

Yeah, it's yabbut...however, we're just broken at this point. The serious people have left.

Wait a minute. You think most women are pro-life? Really?
I think it's split, more or less, equally.

I think most women - more than half - are not in favor of abortion on demand at any stage of the pregnancy.

I think - maybe - most women are in favor of some sort of abortion at a very early stage in the pregnancy.

This is why this ruling is a good thing for the country - it spawns discussion and can lead to a compromise at a more local level. If the US Congress was doing it's job, it would craft a reasonable national compromise but, as everything else, that is impossible in the current environment.

Reactions: Univee2
That’s my wife too. There’s something about making a decision that my wife just doesn’t like. We’re being sexists just for saying this - probably.
I'm pretty sure it's genetic.

Yes, it's sexist, but that doesn't make it wrong.

The irony of calling Jan 6 a threat to our democracy while saying the SC is not legitimate is totally lost on the left.

I think most women - more than half - are not in favor of abortion on demand at any stage of the pregnancy.

I think - maybe - most women are in favor of some sort of abortion at a very early stage in the pregnancy.

This is why this ruling is a good thing for the country - it spawns discussion and can lead to a compromise at a more local level. If the US Congress was doing it's job, it would craft a reasonable national compromise but, as everything else, that is impossible in the current environment.
This is where I feel we’ll land. The far left and far right will fall by the wayside (just saw a clip of Sandy Cortez on Meet the Press - “Women will die!”). We’ll end up with legal abortion during the first trimester and for those situations with extenuating circumstances dealing with the health of the mother and rape/incest, among others. Won’t be an easy, smooth and consistent road. Some states will attempt to ban abortion completely and some will approve abortion without any restrictions. But cooler heads will prevail and we’ll come to a consensus, however tenuous it might be. Decreasing numbers of hard asses on each side will lose their forums.

Did anyone watch VP Harris interview with CNN? I had to laugh when she warned parents of boys what the Roe ruling meant. Basically warning them their boys might not be able to knock up girls without benefit of abortion as birth control.

Last edited:
This is where I feel we’ll land. The far left and far right will fall by the wayside (just saw a clip of Sandy Cortez on Meet the Press - “Women will die!”). We’ll end up with legal abortion during the first trimester and for those situations with extenuating circumstances dealing with the health of the mother and rape/incest, among others. Won’t be an easy, smooth and consistent road. Some states will attempt to ban abortion completely and some will approve abortion without any restrictions. But cooler heads will prevail and we’ll come to a consensus, however tenuous it might be. Decreasing numbers of hard asses on each side will lose their forums.
I haven't heard one word of concern for the baby! WTF

There isn't going to be a compromise on anything. 25-26 states will ban abortion in all cases with very limited exceptions (in some cases none) . Other states will continue on as they have done with no changes.

How on earth do you come to conclusion there will be some national compromise as you describe? That's likely not even feasible on a federal level.... absent a constitutional ammendment.

Reactions: bub-rub

Among women its about 2/3rds in favor of Roe.

Among women its about 2/3rds in favor of Roe.
I like Roe. I like something just after the 20 week test. But popular opinion should be immaterial to the S.Ct's analysis and decision. If the majority prefer abortions have to find a new path to legalization

Not at all. I'm saying that nothing they said was a lie. Whether they had any idea that they would find this way in a case is unknown.

I don't think many people are gullible enough to think they had no idea how they would vote on Roe vs wade.

Lie or not, they intentionally misled and that is obvious to anyone not born yesterday

FWIW, just read that an estimated 232 SC decisions have been reversed by the Court since 1810.

So, maybe we can dispense with all the hysteria and pearl-clutching and get back to recognizing the legitimacy of the Court as you’ve properly stated.

You mean the illegitimacy of the court? It is already well established that 1 seat was stolen.

It was supposed to be apolitical. That is a load of crap. Legitimate court? Hardly

worked for a company for almost 20 years that employed a large number of IT folks who live in surrounding rural/ conservative counties. I’m now watching a huge % of these super conservative, church-going women absolutely light up social media with uterus-flipping-the-bird and uterus-don’t-tread-on-me memes. Certainly not a rigorous poll but making me think the religious right might have caught a tiger by the tail a little bit on this one.

Lol. Companies have been putting this out ever since the verdict was leaked. What exactly is repugnant about helping women have the rights they have had for the last 50 years? I’d guess this will be a major positive for many young people.
Define “rights” as enumerated in the Constitution (or added via constitutionally-prescribed processes) that are also celebrated by True Progressives.

I haven't heard one word of concern for the baby! WTF
Lucy, thought you might be interested in reading the opinions of an experienced maternal fetal medicine physician who admits to not knowing all the answers to questions such as when life begins. Nevertheless she places her focus on the health of the mother along with complications which arise during pregnancy that can affect the health of the mother.

She shares her knowledge about dealing with pregnancy with the mother, but ultimately leaves decisions to the mother and family when ethical principles collide. She avoids answering the question, "What would you do ?" . In contrast we have lots of politicians who think they have all the answers.

A sampling of the physicians approach to the complexities of fetal medicine and decisions which can occur during pregnancy are as follows,

I am ethically bound and take very seriously the responsibility as a physician to allow the patient and her family to decide the course that they feel is best for them (autonomy). I also have a responsibility to act with beneficence in that I must act for the benefit of the patient. Sometimes those ethical principles collide with each other, and sometimes I do not agree with the course the family has decided but that is not my choice.

The other side is arguing about the value of life before birth — does a fetus have the same rights as a person? Both questions boil down to one issue: does a woman’s autonomy trump a fetus’ right to existence or vice versa? Again, I do not know the correct answer.

Did anyone watch VP Harris interview with CNN? I had to laugh when she warned parents of boys what the Roe ruling meant. Basically warning them their boys might not be able to knock up girls without benefit of abortion as birth control.

Best part: 10:30------Kamala admits she's a woman, and the daughter of a woman, and the granddaughter of a woman.

Define “rights” as enumerated in the Constitution (or added via constitutionally-prescribed processes) that are also celebrated by True Progressives.
To show how naive I am, I have been preaching for years that liberals and conservatives often forget how many values they share together. Values such as human rights.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT