ADVERTISEMENT

PU/Brohm Season on the Brink?

Status
Not open for further replies.
PLEASE leave the troll alone. There are already other handles it is under here and its obvious as it spews the same sh!t. I would post several gifs but it seems the mods here don't like it when I do that.
Or, we could just talk IU football. Wouldn’t that make more sense on an IU football board?

Reactions: bang63
PLEASE leave the troll alone. There are already other handles it is under here and its obvious as it spews the same sh!t. I would post several gifs but it seems the mods here don't like it when I do that.
Yeah I finally put him on ignore. I'd rather not chase after people. Responding to inane posts is a waste of time, and I don't want to make it a habit. I would have loved an english critique tho

This, so much this!

Whatever your thoughts on Glass are, he got the 2 biggest program hires correct. I liked Wilson, I liked his toughness, but Allen is a different animal. He has a passion that I haven't seen since Hoeppner.

Who gives a F*** if Allen doesn't have head coaching at the collegiate level? His love and passion for the program is contagious. The kids have bought in and it will pay off very quickly. When the right guy comes along, you pull the trigger.

When my players believe that I love and care about them, they'll run through a wall for me and their teammates. They'll accomplish more than they thought was possible.
IU has a head football coach and a head basketball coach that may both be there when I die. I like that.

No, I want them to build a winning football program and am only saying that doing what they’ve always done will never get them there. Not sure why others don’t feel the same way, including you.
Not sure why you can’t see they are stepping up. It is too bad you can’t see it. Enclosing the stadium building the largest weightroom in the country. Building top rate training facility. Building a first rate nutrition center. Renovation to locker room players lounge and recruiting area. Hiring new nutritionists and strength and conditioning staff. What more do you want? The recruiting has really stepped up so your arguments don’t really hold true as we are really doing a great job bringing in solid kids from Florida.

Not sure why you can’t see they are stepping up. It is too bad you can’t see it. Enclosing the stadium building the largest weightroom in the country. Building top rate training facility. Building a first rate nutrition center. Renovation to locker room players lounge and recruiting area. Hiring new nutritionists and strength and conditioning staff. What more do you want? The recruiting has really stepped up so your arguments don’t really hold true as we are really doing a great job bringing in solid kids from Florida.

All he does is what he has always done.
All he says is what he has always said.

He’d complain that Jesus turned the water into the wrong kind of wine.

I’ve never denied that they’re stepping up but I don’t understand why you and My Team and others deny that the balance of the conference have stepped up more, so relative progress is going to be problematic. The attitude of “good enough” isn’t going to cut it if IU wants to succeed.

All he does is what he has always done.
All he says is what he has always said.

He’d complain that Jesus turned the water into the wrong kind of wine.
If you could rebut it with any facts that recognize the context of IU’s efforts, you would. I realize that good enough is fine with you, such as proclaiming that last years 5-7 was “great”. Some of us want more, even if you don’t.

If you could rebut it with any facts that recognize the context of IU’s efforts, you would. I realize that good enough is fine with you, such as proclaiming that last years 5-7 was “great”. Some of us want more, even if you don’t.
South end zone just completed players area being renovated now that is why. Not saying 5-7 is good enough never have said but they have improved facilities just because you approve the kids must like them as we are getting quality kids to leave Florida and come to a state they have never heard of. I will take 3 stars from Florida over 4 stars from the Midwest all day everyday. Your constant badmouthing of facilities does not make it true that facility is lacking. Also you can’t tell this years freshman class is not one of the better ones in history or at least the potential to be then you really aren’t paying attention or you have a different agenda.

South end zone just completed players area being renovated now that is why. Not saying 5-7 is good enough never have said but they have improved facilities just because you approve the kids must like them as we are getting quality kids to leave Florida and come to a state they have never heard of. I will take 3 stars from Florida over 4 stars from the Midwest all day everyday. Your constant badmouthing of facilities does not make it true that facility is lacking. Also you can’t tell this years freshman class is not one of the better ones in history or at least the potential to be then you really aren’t paying attention or you have a different agenda.

Agenda, minus understanding, yields:
tenor.gif

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
I haven’t “bad mouthed” the facilities at all, only IU’s refusal to recognize that they’ve only brought themselves to the back third of the conference, and that much more will need to be done if they want facilities (among other things) to be viewed as an advantage for the program.

What is funny that there are people on the basketball board who thinks the problem the last 20 years is that the administration tried to de emphasis basketball at IU. By reading this board you would think that the administration totally ignores the football program for the basketball program.

I haven’t “bad mouthed” the facilities at all, only IU’s refusal to recognize that they’ve only brought themselves to the back third of the conference, and that much more will need to be done if they want facilities (among other things) to be viewed as an advantage for the program.
So a couple of thoughts here.

First, what would you do differently if you were in charge ? In what area would you specifically invest/spend more or differently than Glass et al have since 2006 or so ? I am really interested to know what you would be doing differently today if you were in charge?

Secondly, I don't agree at all that "we keep doing things the same way". What does that mean and what is the evidence of that ? Please provide specific examples because I honestly don't know what that broad statement really means.

I didn't see any investment in facilities until the NEZ twelve years ago or so and I have seen massive investment since. I think its also true that if you weren't the most recent to do it, you're already behind as the athletic arms race escalates. Anyone who completes an upgrade first is in last place within five years. And at some point, diminishing returns becomes a factor. Otherwise, the most recent big spender overtakes everyone else and wins the conference title.

As to coaching changes, how do you keep doing things "the way you always have" when every situation is different and no coach/staff has achieved that magical success. We've hired from inside, from outside, co-ordinators, previous head coaches, offensive guys, defensive guys, tough guys, energetic pr guys, stoic guys, and none has stood out as anyone who has brought an immediate elevation to the program.

The circumstances of each of our last 6 head coaching hires have been unique. For my money, we got it right this time. But I don't expect overnight miracles and I don't think last season was a reflection on Tom Allen's abilities to move this program forward in the slightest. Time will tell, but I don't know how anybody makes the argument that things have not been done right at this point this season.

So a couple of thoughts here.

First, what would you do differently if you were in charge ? In what area would you specifically invest/spend more or differently than Glass et al have since 2006 or so ? I am really interested to know what you would be doing differently today if you were in charge?

Secondly, I don't agree at all that "we keep doing things the same way". What does that mean and what is the evidence of that ? Please provide specific examples because I honestly don't know what that broad statement really means.

I didn't see any investment in facilities until the NEZ twelve years ago or so and I have seen massive investment since. I think its also true that if you weren't the most recent to do it, you're already behind as the athletic arms race escalates. Anyone who completes an upgrade first is in last place within five years. And at some point, diminishing returns becomes a factor. Otherwise, the most recent big spender overtakes everyone else and wins the conference title.

As to coaching changes, how do you keep doing things "the way you always have" when every situation is different and no coach/staff has achieved that magical success. We've hired from inside, from outside, co-ordinators, previous head coaches, offensive guys, defensive guys, tough guys, energetic pr guys, stoic guys, and none has stood out as anyone who has brought an immediate elevation to the program.

The circumstances of each of our last 6 head coaching hires have been unique. For my money, we got it right this time. But I don't expect overnight miracles and I don't think last season was a reflection on Tom Allen's abilities to move this program forward in the slightest. Time will tell, but I don't know how anybody makes the argument that things have not been done right at this point this season.
I’m responding via iPhone, so I’ll be perhaps more succinct than your questions merit. If I have time and technology later, I’ll try to expand wherever you’d like me to.

I think IU needs a football only facility in addition to an enhanced / expanded Mellancamp Pavilion. And the NEZ needs greater upkeep. I mentioned that coaches (IU and high school) had commented on its rundown appearance over the summer.

Allen isn’t going anywhere, and I’m not suggesting that he should, but the process that hired him and Wilson was and is flawed. Don’t know what you do for a living, but would you feel well served if the person exclusively tasked with hiring you and positions like yours had never practiced your profession, even for a day? I thought Wilson did a decent job, but should he have ever been hired, and wasn’t he mismanaged repeatedly along the way? The Allen gore may turn out okay, but his first season leaves the that as a very open question right now, in my opinion. And, while some are saying that Recruiting has improved, it really hasn’t relative to the rest of the BiG 10, which seems like the best measure.

In the end, I believe IU has been running well off the back of the pack in football for decades. Doing enough to catch the bottom third will never be enough, in my opinion, to elevate the program to that of a consistent winner. In my view, they have to commit to going above and beyond if they ever want sustained success.

Says the guy who thinks 5-7 was a “great” season. Another empty post from you.

I dunno, I rather think his post was full of it.

Again, you are the epitome of unintentional irony, using this argument "keep doing the same things repeatedly and expecting a different result". What's the serial number on your current user name? Why do you expect to get a different result using this one? What's the over/under on you getting banned again?

Again, you are the epitome of unintentional irony, using this argument "keep doing the same things repeatedly and expecting a different result". What's the serial number on your current user name? Why do you expect to get a different result using this one? What's the over/under on you getting banned again?
If you aren’t interested in the topic, what’s your purpose for being here?

Stop feeding the troll.

I’ve never denied that they’re stepping up but I don’t understand why you and My Team and others deny that the balance of the conference have stepped up more, so relative progress is going to be problematic. The attitude of “good enough” isn’t going to cut it if IU wants to succeed.
The argument you are making is factual. Other schools around us have built football only facilities that are a little bit more modern. However you are drawing conclusions based upon your opinion. In your opinion this will be problematic and the attitude is this is "good enough" isn't even remotely close to the long range goals of the Department or the University.

From what I can tell the facilities and coaching staff have gotten us to a 3-0 start and recruiting is solid. Have we lost a couple kids to football only facilities? Yes we have, but I don't think they would have committed anyway. However IU did finish second ahead of several schools that were and are football only weightrooms so again, I'm not sure it's cost us like you think.

The only way to prove your statements right is to judge over the next several seasons and in all honestly anything can happen. Facilites are part of the equation, but so is the experience, winning, the atmosphere, student involvement and the list goes on.

So far this season IU has beaten two likely bowl teams. It's all the data we have. Maybe your argument can be revisited in January 2019.....but right now you can't back up what you are saying with one lick of factual data. It's just your opinion.

Reactions: Al Bino
The argument you are making is factual. Other schools around us have built football only facilities that are a little bit more modern. However you are drawing conclusions based upon your opinion. In your opinion this will be problematic and the attitude is this is "good enough" isn't even remotely close to the long range goals of the Department or the University.

From what I can tell the facilities and coaching staff have gotten us to a 3-0 start and recruiting is solid. Have we lost a couple kids to football only facilities? Yes we have, but I don't think they would have committed anyway. However IU did finish second ahead of several schools that were and are football only weightrooms so again, I'm not sure it's cost us like you think.

The only way to prove your statements right is to judge over the next several seasons and in all honestly anything can happen. Facilites are part of the equation, but so is the experience, winning, the atmosphere, student involvement and the list goes on.

So far this season IU has beaten two likely bowl teams. It's all the data we have. Maybe your argument can be revisited in January 2019.....but right now you can't back up what you are saying with one lick of factual data. It's just your opinion.
It’s all opinion, just as yours is. The difference, I believe, is that history validated my views quite conclusively. Could things change and Iu be the little engine that could? Sure. But the odds are against it unless they change their approach, in my opinion. Thanks for your response.

Reactions: IUgradman
It’s all opinion, just as yours is. The difference, I believe, is that history validated my views quite conclusively. Could things change and Iu be the little engine that could? Sure. But the odds are against it unless they change their approach, in my opinion. Thanks for your response.
You are mistaken if you do not believe recruiting is on an upswing. How many teams recently have had 2 all-American offensive linemen multiple 1000 yard rushers and multiple 1000 yard receivers. All-America linebacker defensive backs that lead nation in pass breakups. Just imagine if IU were playing in the West what there record might have been. But they don’t and they have to play in what perhaps is the toughest division of all of college football. That is something you also don’t take into account when discussing wins and losses. Then you say Tom Allen should never have been hired because he had no previous head coaching experience but every coach has to get his head coaching sometime or another. I don’t know if Tom Allen is the right guy I hope he is. But he appears to be doing things right at present. Shouldn’t we give him the benefit of the doubt and let him get his program in place. It is still only 16 games old.

You are mistaken if you do not believe recruiting is on an upswing. How many teams recently have had 2 all-American offensive linemen multiple 1000 yard rushers and multiple 1000 yard receivers. All-America linebacker defensive backs that lead nation in pass breakups. Just imagine if IU were playing in the West what there record might have been. But they don’t and they have to play in what perhaps is the toughest division of all of college football. That is something you also don’t take into account when discussing wins and losses. Then you say Tom Allen should never have been hired because he had no previous head coaching experience but every coach has to get his head coaching sometime or another. I don’t know if Tom Allen is the right guy I hope he is. But he appears to be doing things right at present. Shouldn’t we give him the benefit of the doubt and let him get his program in place. It is still only 16 games old.
I said the process that resulted in Allen being hired was the issue. And Recruiting remains in the bottom third of the BiG 10. Love that they’re getting better players, but so is their competition.

Reactions: IUgradman
I said the process that resulted in Allen being hired was the issue. And Recruiting remains in the bottom third of the BiG 10. Love that they’re getting better players, but so is their competition.
So the other teams that have better facilities, better coaches, better players and better recruits yet the games are getting closer. How is that possible? Yes they are still losses but I saw Terry Bowden speak several years ago at clinic about building a winning program. He said there are 4 phases you go through: First you lose big and yes IU has done that. Second you lose close and we have seen IU do this. Third you win close hopefully this is the phase the Hoosiers are in now. Fourth you win big. I hope to this phase come. But you have to say we are starting to play the Big Bous close. We are no longer an open week. We need to learn how to win these close games against the Big Boys to start the ball rolling.

So the other teams that have better facilities, better coaches, better players and better recruits yet the games are getting closer. How is that possible? Yes they are still losses but I saw Terry Bowden speak several years ago at clinic about building a winning program. He said there are 4 phases you go through: First you lose big and yes IU has done that. Second you lose close and we have seen IU do this. Third you win close hopefully this is the phase the Hoosiers are in now. Fourth you win big. I hope to this phase come. But you have to say we are starting to play the Big Bous close. We are no longer an open week. We need to learn how to win these close games against the Big Boys to start the ball rolling.

Let me guess:

- he says we don’t spend enough on facilities despite 100,000,000 since 2007?
- he says we don’t spend enough on coaches?
- he says the reason we don’t spend enough is lack of administrative desire to be great?
- he says you accept mediocrity while true fans demand more spending and better results?

If you think facts, reason and logic will make him say ANYTHING but that, you will be disappointed

Beat Purdue 4 years in a row?
Means nothing.

Purdue wins one.
It verifies decades of IU incompetence.

The one thing that matters most - a football-only weight room, cafeteria and training room.

He is a McClellan.
A Custer.
Shiny buckles and parade ground flash.

He thinks he knows what will make us win - spending
He oughta be in Congress

Let me guess:

- he says we don’t spend enough on facilities despite 100,000,000 since 2007?
- he says we don’t spend enough on coaches?
- he says the reason we don’t spend enough is lack of administrative desire to be great?
- he says you accept mediocrity while true fans demand more spending and better results?

If you think facts, reason and logic will make him say ANYTHING but that, you will be disappointed

Beat Purdue 4 years in a row?
Means nothing.

Purdue wins one.
It verifies decades of IU incompetence.

The one thing that matters most - a football-only weight room, cafeteria and training room.

He is a McClellan.
A Custer.
Shiny buckles and parade ground flash.

He thinks he knows what will make us win - spending
He oughta be in Congress
Oh I guess you have seen 800 posts about IU and high school coaches complain about lack of facilities and Tom Allen not legitimate hire and poor recruiting. But he is a true fan.

And what would that process be? The fact that there was not a long national search?

Have you ever thought that maybe, just maybe Glass saw what kind of coach Allen was up close and with the consultation of football people he knows, thought THIS is the guy that can coach young men up, build a winning football program and do it in a way that IU fans can be proud of? A guy that after he builds the program will not bolt for the first offer from the SEC? That he is an Indiana guy kind of like TH?

Naah, that would be impossible. What was I thinking.

Lots of cliches and wishful thinking from you and MTIOTF, but light on facts. Good enough fits you guys well.

Lots of cliches and wishful thinking from you and MTIOTF, but light on facts. Good enough fits you guys well.
Seems to me you are light on facts. Overtime games vs Michigan and Michigan State. Late leads and a goal line stand by Ohio State. A win over Penn State and played close even after spotting a big lead last year. Many more players invited to NFL camps. All you have is your opinion and anonymous IU coaches and high school coaches.

Seems to me you are light on facts. Overtime games vs Michigan and Michigan State. Late leads and a goal line stand by Ohio State. A win over Penn State and played close even after spotting a big lead last year. Many more players invited to NFL camps. All you have is your opinion and anonymous IU coaches and high school coaches.

The only facts he ever has are those that he can google before posting. Oldest trick in the book. Ignore.

Reactions: crossfire74
The only facts he ever has are those that he can google before posting. Oldest trick in the book. Ignore.
You know if you say facilities are insufficient and coaches inadequate and recruiting Subpar enough times it will make it so. Or that you are a true fan only if you trash every aspect of the program.

Last edited:
Imagine IU gets a ton of breaks and finishes the season 8-4 or better. CTA would be a strong candidate for Big 10 coach of the year. At which point this board would be wondering what if we had a coach with experience. ;)

Reactions: ESalum86
Imagine IU gets a ton of breaks and finishes the season 8-4 or better. CTA would be a strong candidate for Big 10 coach of the year. At which point this board would be wondering what if we had a coach with experience. ;)

Hell, 7-5 and he IS BTCOY. That means he has beaten everyone he should have, everyone he might have, and at least one he shouldn't have.

The issue of expenditures was quite factual, as are the historical results. But we’re obviously talking past each other.

You know if you say facilities are insufficient and coaches inadequate and recruiting Subpar enough times it will make it so. Or that you are a true fan only if you trash every aspect of the program.
I want the program to be better, which is why I don’t believe doing the same things over and over and expecting a different result makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT