ADVERTISEMENT

Portal is open for business…

mk30

Sophomore
Mar 26, 2022
Just saw where Kip Fougerousse is on his way out. I’d bet there will be others soon. New Circle of Life in college sports.

Yeah, a person would be hard pressed to find a program that doesn't have anyone entering the portal, and portal recruiting has become as big as recruiting at the high school level which is no revelation on my part. The interesting part to me will be what kind of activity in this area we have with the pitching staff, and who knows what the players are thinking as we go into the off-season.

Reactions: 76-1 and mk30
Just saw where Kip Fougerousse is on his way out. I’d bet there will be others soon. New Circle of Life in college sports.
it sucks that a local guy that seemed like a 'gotta have' wasn't able to earn playing time. I wonder about Vecrumba as well.

At least Pyne showed his stuff as a local guy.

it sucks that a local guy that seemed like a 'gotta have' wasn't able to earn playing time. I wonder about Vecrumba as well.

That was exactly my thought. Lifelong dream is gone. It’s sad. And yes, Pyne showed his stuff...as a frosh. The other guys did too. Now they're invisible.

Last edited:
Reactions: 82IU
I saw that Nebraska had six players enter the portal in a 24-hour period, so the onslaught has begun nationally and league wide.

Jack Walker, too
Are you sure that it is IU'S Jack Walker? I found a story about Freshman pitcher Jack Walker from Mississippi State that just entered the Portal. Not trying to doubt you Bligedy, I just couldn't find the news about IU'S Walker.

Last edited:
Are you sure that it is IU'S Jack Walker? I found a story about Freshman pitcher Jack Walker from Mississippi State that just entered the Portal.
Yep. It’s IUs. He tweeted it.

Reactions: 82IU
Ok. Thanks. I was hoping it wasn't so. I think he could have lots of potential. I am not on Twitter so no wonder I did not see it.

Reactions: mk30
Are you sure that it is IU'S Jack Walker? I found a story about Freshman pitcher Jack Walker from Mississippi State that just entered the Portal. Not trying to doubt you Bligedy, I just couldn't find the news about IU'S Walker.
Yeah, I'm sure. And I doubt me all of the time so no big deal!

I saw a tweet from D1Baseball from earlier today and they state that there are over 1,700 players in the portal right now. IU players listed right now are the ones already noted above except for Stahl and Appelwick and stats show Appelwick didn't enter a game:

Jack Walker
Nathan Stahl
Jake Skrine
Kip Fougerousse
Evan Appelwick

They have Brennan Rowe on there also as with IU and he was a recruit out of Powell, Ohio, but was not on the roster this season.

Last edited:

Well, he had his chance. He batted .209 last year in over 120 PA and .111 this year, in only just shy of 30 PA. He was the starter opening up, just didn't get it done. And when you have a guy like Tibbits now, not sure why you would keep giving him opportunities.

Well, he had his chance. He batted .209 last year in over 120 PA and .111 this year, in only just shy of 30 PA. He was the starter opening up, just didn't get it done. And when you have a guy like Tibbits now, not sure why you would keep giving him opportunities.
100% agree...just a shame it didn't work out.

Another name that has entered the portal, and to no surprise, is John-Biagio Modugno. I recall he had a couple of good outings, but they were few and far between, and he was a completely different pitcher from last season (2021). Whether they tinkered with him or maybe it was something physical, I just don't know, but the difference between last season and this season is kind of shocking. Here are just some of his numbers from last year until this past season:

2.09 ERA in 38.2 IP with an OBA of .207. He faced 140 batters and gave up just 7 xtra base hits.

11.80 ERA in 39.1 IP with an OBA of .378. He faced 156 batters and gave up 22 xtra base hits.

IU also picked up a player from the portal in Siena's LHP Benjamin Seiler. He is a big kid at 6'6 and 246 lbs and was a starter for them. Some of his numbers this past season are:

4.35 ERA in 80.2 IP with an OBA of .266. He had 86 Ks and 28 BBs.

Last edited:
Another name that has entered the portal, and to no surprise, is John-Biagio Modugno. I recall he had a couple of good outings, but they were few and far between, and he was a completely different pitcher from last season (2021). Whether they tinkered with him or maybe it was something physical, I just don't know, but the difference between last season and this season is kind of shocking. Here are just some of his numbers from last year until this past season:

2.09 ERA in 38.2 IP with an OBA of .207. He faced 140 batters and gave up just 7 xtra base hits.

11.80 ERA in 39.1 IP with an OBA of .378. He faced 156 batters and gave up 22 xtra base hits.

IU also picked up a player from the portal in Siena's LHP Benjamin Seiler. He is a big kid at 6'6 and 246 lbs and was a starter for them. Some of his numbers this past season are:

4.35 ERA in 80.2 IP with an OBA of .266. He had 86 Ks and 28 BBs.

The winds of the portal blow both ways. Welcome aboard big fella.

Saw via twitter a jucco pitcher from Seattle area signed. Era below 2 this year. Believe name is Seti Manase. Also Kraft threw 5.0, 1h no BB/HBP 9k start and win for Kingsport axmen in appy league. Mathison homered last night for Keene in necbl

Saw via twitter a jucco pitcher from Seattle area signed. Era below 2 this year. Believe name is Seti Manase. Also Kraft threw 5.0, 1h no BB/HBP 9k start and win for Kingsport axmen in appy league. Mathison homered last night for Keene in necbl
I found some stats on Seti Manase who pitched for Tacoma Community College. He's a 6'3 230 lb RHP who went 9-2 for TCC with an ERA of 1.69 in 74.2 IP. He had 92 Ks with just 10 BBs.

You can add Braydon Tucker to the list of players entering the portal.

IU picked up another player via the portal in Youngstown State's Nathan Ball. I don't know how much eligibility he has, but he was listed as a junior on their roster. He's a 6'3 190 lb LHP and had an ERA of 5.55 in 24.1 IP. He had 27 Ks and 10 BBs.

Perkins going to mlb combine this month only Hoosier listed. Kraft another strong start 6.0 3h 1h 0 runs stats show induced lotsa ground balls in appy league but didn’t get W as guy who followed was like an IU 2022 reliever giving up 5 er in 1.2. Teams tied as no extras in that league

The portal is showing IU picking up a mystery player that I can't find any record of anywhere. He is listed as an IU pickup from Western Kentucky by the name of Bradley Hellman, but he doesn't show up on any of the Hilltoppers' rosters from 2020 through 2022. I checked the W. Ky stats out for 2022 and he doesn't show up in their stats also. I also came up empty checking for that name on both twitter and Facebook. Western Kentucky did have a Cooper Hellman on their roster this season and he was a freshman pitcher for them out of Goshen, KY. They have already posted their 2023 roster of players that they expect to be back next season and they don't have Cooper Hellman on that roster so I wonder if its the same player.

It’s cooper Hellman saw it on twitter. Rising sophomore era 6.0 33 innings. 6ft 4

also another wku rising sophomore picked up. 6ft 8 from Tennessee similar stats this year to cooper. That’s 4 new pitchers so far.
I assumed it was probably Cooper since Hellman is not common enough to have two of them on the same roster unless they are brothers, etc. I haven't seen the one on the WKU player from Tennessee yet. As you indicated, all four of the portal pickups are pitchers, and with the JUCO pitcher coming in, that makes five new pitchers that are in the transfer category, with no position players yet.

I assumed it was probably Cooper since Hellman is not common enough to have two of them on the same roster unless they are brothers, etc. I haven't seen the one on the WKU player from Tennessee yet. As you indicated, all four of the portal pickups are pitchers, and with the JUCO pitcher coming in, that makes five new pitchers that are in the transfer category, with no position players yet.
We probably need a catcher again huh?

Tibbits was listed as a catcher in hs and was accepted to catch this summer in appy league but apparently decided to take summer off. Possible wanted to work with coaches on that (pure speculation on my part). I love his 1b play but if he’s as good at catcher easier to replace 1b I think

Also could be wrong but I think only doane is out of eligibility so Ellis, Serruto and Glasser could return. Same for Brayden (Whalen was in portal last year but didn’t leave).

Also could be wrong but I think only doane is out of eligibility so Ellis, Serruto and Glasser could return. Same for Brayden (Whalen was in portal last year but didn’t leave).
Yes, I'm pretty sure you are correct about Doanes exhausting his eligibility and as you indicated, he is the only one.

Thanks, it's hard to keep up with eligibility right now. But I heard Ellis was a likely draft pick, high enough to likely not return.

Evan Applewick who is in transfer portal is near top of Appy League in batting avg at .380 with 50 AB, 3 HR, 3 doubles. Applewick is from South Dakota but went to IMG academy in fl. Interesting that when glasser was injured we saw Johnson and Goforth but not Evan. On IU roster he was listed as INF, for Burlington he’s listed as 3B but he’s also played OF. Colopy is playing for Elizabethton hitting just over .200 but did have a recent 5rbi game playing OF.

Reactions: mk30 and ptrich
It seemed strange that Applewick and others didn’t get a game look this season. A 40 man roster can be more of a curse than a blessing IMO.

Last edited:
Reese had strong 2.1 innings no hits middle relief for Bourne braves in ccbl yesterday
Sharp became a pretty effective pitcher near the end of the season. The only new thing that I have found with the portal transfers is that it's no real surprise that John-Biagio Modugno is headed back home and will play for Rutgers.

Another name that has entered the portal is RHP Costa Sirounis (R-Fr.) and he did not enter a game this past season.

It’s cooper Hellman saw it on twitter. Rising sophomore era 6.0 33 innings. 6ft 4

also another wku rising sophomore picked up. 6ft 8 from Tennessee similar stats this year to cooper. That’s 4 new pitchers so far.
I finally saw a name to the other pickup from WKU that you mentioned. He's RHP Luke Sinnard at 6'8, 230 lbs. His overall stats for WKU this past season were an ERA of 7.18 in 26.1 IP and a WHIP of 1.90. He had 28 Ks and 11 BBs with an OBA of .355.

July 1st was the cutoff for athletes in the spring sports to enter the portal and be eligible to play in the following season in the same division. The only new name to enter the portal was little-used Max Johnson. There were no new pickups in the portal also. So far, of the players entering the portal from IU, only Modugno has identified a new school and that is Rutgers.

One reason max may have just entered portal is we picked up a FL gator infielder Jorge de Goti just announced. Appeared in 9 games 2022.
I found this little tidbit on de Goti and it appears that like a lot of players in college baseball he was the victim of a crowded infield at Florida.

The No. 299 overall prospect in the 2021 class according to Perfect Game, De Goti appeared in just nine games (all off the bench) for the Gators as a true freshman in 2022 and recorded two hits in seven at-bats with a run and a double.

Viewed favorably by prospect evaluators after a strong prep career at Belen Jesuit in Miami where he was named a three-time Perfect Game Preseason All-American, De Goti drew attention thanks to a strong and accurate arm at shortstop, third base and in the outfield. He was recorded throwing as hard as 92 mph on the infield and 96 mph from the outfield, according to Perfect Game.

However, with the Gators, the strong-armed freshman had few opportunities to show off his defensive prowess as he made just nine abbreviated appearances and even recorded an error in his limited chances.

He is the cousin of Houston Astros minor leaguer Alex De Goti, who made his Major League debut in 2021.

Reactions: mk30 and Orford
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT