ADVERTISEMENT

PISA scores

biggest driver isn't culture but pervasive poverty
i used to think that but i'm not entirely sure. maybe black culture is a problem. their problem. maybe they are victims of racism still today that is more pervasive and cough systemic than i believe. we are now home to the second largest bosnian population in the world. dzeko's parent's live here. i've run into him a few times. once at the mall and no one even knew who he was but i did. anyway, nice to elevate the thread with soccer but i digress, they came here in teh early 90s post war. with nothing. whatever minimal aid but that was it. they were refugees and dumped in shitty neighborhoods in the city. not gentrified ones. their past worthless. former careers not accepted here. literally starting from scratch. and in 30 years they are doing great. kids educated at local universities. restaurant owners. manufacturing owners. bakers. they love bakeries and coffee shops. truckers. love trucking companies. many have fled the city themselves for the burbs with money in their pockets. they got shit cooking and despite their backgrounds you never hear whining or victimhood from these people, people who have internment camp numbers tatted on their arms. so i don't know. maybe blacks are just mired by baked in victimhood and culture perpetuated by the cori bush's and al sharpton's and false blm narratives of the world, or maybe they really are victims of racism subtle racism. a black kid goes for a job and the owner'd rather give it to a bosno. i don't know

Reactions: DANC and jet812
Yes, if only we would talk about race more in our society.
Not sure if we need more discussion, or if we just need to be allowed to speak constructively about it. 90% of the discussion I see concerning race is about what whites are doing wrong, or have done wrong. We’re discouraged from being able to discuss the failings within black cultures & communities by getting labeled as racists or bigots, or characterized as boasting “yay white people” by the race baiters of the left. The schools suck in the inner cities because the students suck, plain & simple. Until they are compelled by their parents & home life to take education seriously, we won’t see a change…

Reactions: DANC and mcmurtry66
Brad is right tho as it would be interesting to see it by socioeconomic. My daughter’s school has a black population probably larger than the country percentage . They do very well. Not showin off. Not falling behind. Schools in the city. The hood. Forget it.
i mostly agree about the Black cluster at the lower achievement levels. I think Black students get the shaft by our system.. But, I think the Asian cluster at the top needs a hard look.

Reactions: DANC
i used to think that but i'm not entirely sure. maybe black culture is a problem. their problem. maybe they are victims of racism still today that is more pervasive and cough systemic than i believe. we are now home to the second largest bosnian population in the world. dzeko's parent's live here. i've run into him a few times. once at the mall and no one even knew who he was but i did. anyway, nice to elevate the thread with soccer but i digress, they came here in teh early 90s post war. with nothing. whatever minimal aid but that was it. they were refugees and dumped in shitty neighborhoods in the city. not gentrified ones. their past worthless. former careers not accepted here. literally starting from scratch. and in 30 years they are doing great. kids educated at local universities. restaurant owners. manufacturing owners. bakers. they love bakeries and coffee shops. truckers. love trucking companies. many have fled the city themselves for the burbs with money in their pockets. they got shit cooking and despite their backgrounds you never hear whining or victimhood from these people, people who have internment camp numbers. so i don't know. maybe blacks are just mired by baked in victimhood and culture perpetuated by the cori bush's of the world, maybe they really are victims of racism. a black kid goes for a job and the owner'd rather give it to a bosno. i don't know

I think this nails it. blacks in American didn't get the full American immigrant experience and that still reverberates. typical experience was: first gen can't fully assimilate/ works manual labor, 2nd generation more Americanized/ become teachers, cops, lawyers, bankers. it was 10 generations of not letting blacks become much of anything that created the culture, which now is a negative feedback loop.

Not sure if we need more discussion, or if we just need to be allowed to speak constructively about it. 90% of the discussion I see concerning race is about what whites are doing wrong, or have done wrong. We’re discouraged from being able to discuss the failings within black cultures & communities by getting labeled as racists or bigots, or characterized as boasting “yay white people” by the race baiters of the left. The schools suck in the inner cities because the students suck, plain & simple. Until they are compelled by their parents & home life to take education seriously, we won’t see a change…

so it's all on the 9-year old kid living in a crazy home-life situation with the weight or modern economic theory stacked against them? lol. can we at least try to meet this kid halfway?

I think this nails it. blacks in American didn't get the full American immigrant experience and that still reverberates. typical experience was: first gen can't fully assimilate/ works manual labor, 2nd generation more Americanized/ become teachers, cops, lawyers, bankers. it was 10 generations of not letting blacks become much of anything that created the culture, which now is a negative feedback loop.
interesting take

If the kid’s claim that there are white kids with longer hair being allowed, then it’s discriminatory. If not, he should stfu & cut his hair like everyone else, or transfer.

My question is why does it matter how long someone's hair is, no matter the race?

Seems so petty and not a good reason to deny an education.

• Wow
Reactions: BradStevens
so it's all on the 9-year old kid living in a crazy home-life situation with the weight or modern economic theory stacked against them? lol. can we at least try to meet this kid halfway?
It’s not the kid’s fault, but how do we meet them half way? I’ll get accused, perhaps rightfully so, of oversimplifying, but you don’t have to be wealthy to believe in & acquire an education. Once upon a time, I believed that society as a whole could help these folks break out of the cycle of failure. I no longer believe this. It has to come from within.

Reactions: DANC and NPT
My question is why does it matter how long someone's hair is, no matter the race?

Seems so petty and not a good reason to deny an education.
It doesn’t to me. But it does to the people that made the rule. Grow your hair out when school is over. Seems that works for all of the other students. Sometimes it ok to learn to follow rules so long as the same rules apply to everyone.🤷

i used to think that but i'm not entirely sure. maybe black culture is a problem. their problem. maybe they are victims of racism still today that is more pervasive and cough systemic than i believe. we are now home to the second largest bosnian population in the world. dzeko's parent's live here. i've run into him a few times. once at the mall and no one even knew who he was but i did. anyway, nice to elevate the thread with soccer but i digress, they came here in teh early 90s post war. with nothing. whatever minimal aid but that was it. they were refugees and dumped in shitty neighborhoods in the city. not gentrified ones. their past worthless. former careers not accepted here. literally starting from scratch. and in 30 years they are doing great. kids educated at local universities. restaurant owners. manufacturing owners. bakers. they love bakeries and coffee shops. truckers. love trucking companies. many have fled the city themselves for the burbs with money in their pockets. they got shit cooking and despite their backgrounds you never hear whining or victimhood from these people, people who have internment camp numbers tatted on their arms. so i don't know. maybe blacks are just mired by baked in victimhood and culture perpetuated by the cori bush's and al sharpton's and false blm narratives of the world, or maybe they really are victims of racism subtle racism. a black kid goes for a job and the owner'd rather give it to a bosno. i don't know

Manichi beat me to it to a point. Bosnians weren't ever slaves in America. It is what it is.

Not 10, but about 6-8 generations ago my family were farmers in Minnesota. We aren't farmers now but what they built then and what carried forth from that bit of wealth certainly helped me be where I am today. Same thing works in reverse for most, not all, blacks in America today.

I don't think reparations will fix it. I don't think BLM will fix it. I don't think defunding the police will fix it. But I also don't think telling black people to "do better" will fix it either. We're probably the only, and definitely the most recent, slave holding country to assimilate their slaves into their larger culture. At least since the middle ages. We're not handling the situation very well.

interesting take
it's the part of CRT that has merit.

I'm sure most countries have ethnic minorities in the same boat but the first several generations of Black families in America were destroyed in a unique way. Statistically, how our grandparents got along in life matters a lot to how we are getting along in life.

It doesn’t to me. But it does to the people that made the rule. Grow your hair out when school is over. Seems that works for all of the other students. Sometimes it ok to learn to follow rules so long as the same rules apply to everyone.🤷

It seems like the educators are focused on the wrong things if a kids hair is important enough to get him suspended, especially when his hair isn't a mess and by accounts, was braided, which takes a good amount of time to do.

Reactions: Baller23Boogie
Manichi beat me to it to a point. Bosnians weren't ever slaves in America. It is what it is.

Not 10, but about 6-8 generations ago my family were farmers in Minnesota. We aren't farmers now but what they built then and what carried forth from that bit of wealth certainly helped me be where I am today. Same thing works in reverse for most, not all, blacks in America today.

I don't think reparations will fix it. I don't think BLM will fix it. I don't think defunding the police will fix it. But I also don't think telling black people to "do better" will fix it either. We're probably the only, and definitely the most recent, slave holding country to assimilate their slaves into their larger culture. At least since the middle ages. We're not handling the situation very well.
Check out Brazil.

I couldn’t agree more with your comment that “telling blacks people to do better” isn’t the answer. The desire to do so must come from within. How can they be convinced? Those that exhibit such desire have every opportunity to be successful & many are. Those that don’t are in the cycle of failure blaming everyone else.

I couldn’t agree more with your comment that “telling blacks people to do better” isn’t the answer. The desire to do so must come from within. How can they be convinced? Those that exhibit such desire have every opportunity to be successful & many are. Those that don’t are in the cycle of failure blaming everyone else.
Tell us you missed the point without telling us you missed the point.

Reactions: Baller23Boogie
I think the negative feedback loop is a real problem. Several generations ago, racism was likely a big factor. Today? I dunno. It seems the self imposed negativity has become a large factor. I won’t list all the self.perpetrating negativities but I will point out that education shortcomings, criminal justice issues, and general governmental incompetence comes from inside the black communities and fueled by those who proclaim skin color is destiny. Kendi is back in the news ripping on whites. That is not how to inspire the black community.

Last edited:
A report that brings some facts to bear on this issue:

Nice find, pretty much takes everyone to task for just reaching into the standard book of answers. It reminds me of what a great leader once said, “The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew, and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country."

Maybe we need to figure out how to stop thinking "this is my liberal/conservative answer" and think in other ways.

Reactions: BradStevens
Nice find, pretty much takes everyone to task for just reaching into the standard book of answers. It reminds me of what a great leader once said, “The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew, and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country."

Maybe we need to figure out how to stop thinking "this is my liberal/conservative answer" and think in other ways.
@BradStevens dated tho. i wonder what those in education today would say as it seems to be constantly evolving (devolving)

The original tweet was as bad as the replies to it. "America has proven once again that it has one of the smartest populations and, perhaps, the best education systems." Yet, that statement is only supported if you ignore blacks and Hispanics.
Where in the world does Hispanics or blacks perform better? The answer is nowhere. You’re not stealing my thunder. The U.S. education kicks a#%.

Aldous Huxley could have written that sentence.
Almost as good as this one... we want transparency, we trust American people to draw their own conclusions...but we're going to blur the faces of people who participated in the events of January 6 so they are not retaliated against and charged by the DOJ (of course the DOJ already has the unblurred videos). Can't make this stuff up.

Where in the world does Hispanics or blacks perform better? The answer is nowhere. You’re not stealing my thunder. The U.S. education kicks a#%.
You can’t tell from the data. He only broke out racial classifications for the US.

You can’t tell from the data. He only broke out racial classifications for the US.
Which of those nations in front of U.S. have a significant black or Hispanic population? I assume that’s why he made his conclusion?

Last edited:
Almost as good as this one... we want transparency, we trust American people to draw their own conclusions...but we're going to blur the faces of people who participated in the events of January 6 so they are not retaliated against and charged by the DOJ (of course the DOJ already has the unblurred videos). Can't make this stuff up.

I realize this is just a show to appease the knuckledraggers since the DOJ and the FBI have the originals. But doesn't it give anyone pause that he's simulating aiding and abetting insurrectionists.

Better parenting, better teacher competence, and more academic rigor is my take away. Conservatives see charters as a way to at least improve 2 of those. Liberals see more funds as the answer. Seems like we shouldn’t have that kind of divide when the problems are clear.

Better parenting, better teacher competence, and more academic rigor is my take away. Conservatives see charters as a way to at least improve 2 of those. Liberals see more funds as the answer. Seems like we shouldn’t have that kind of divide when the problems are clear.
Have you ever in your life made a post not summed up by "Liberals are stupid"?

I think the negative feedback loop is a real problem. Several generations ago, racism was likely a big factor. Today? I dunno. It seems the self imposed negativity has become a large factor. I won’t list all the self.perpetrating negativities but I will point out that education shortcomings, criminal justice issues, and general governmental incompetence comes from inside the black communities and fueled by those who proclaim skin color is destiny. Kendi is back in the news ripping on whites. That is not how to inspire the black community.

money is the biggest problem and it's not even close. the schools are broke and the families that attend likely have 10% the wealth of suburban counterparts. that is the issue, not the weird culture war bullshit you listed. you seriously took a moment to point out which issues are internal black community only issues? the systems driving all of this are much more complicated than that.

anyhoo, sorry someone ripped on white people today and it hurt you. hope this discussion on failing black schools was a good distraction from those awful feelz .

money is the biggest problem and it's not even close. the schools are broke and the families that attend likely have 10% the wealth of suburban counterparts. that is the issue, not the weird culture war bullshit you listed. you seriously took a moment to point out which issues are internal black community only issues? the systems driving all of this are much more complicated than that.

anyhoo, sorry someone ripped on white people today and it hurt you. hope this discussion on failing black schools was a good distraction from those awful feelz .
Stl public schools which are god awful spend more per student than the top school district in the state. $17k to $11k. It’s not a lack of money at the schools

Stl public schools which are god awful spend more per student than the top school district in the state. $17k to $11k. It’s not a lack of money at the schools
And I bet that all they say is that more money is the answer, that the $17k is starving the school system.

Reactions: DANC and mcmurtry66
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT