ADVERTISEMENT

PISA scores

I'd prefer they compare socioeconomic groupings in each nation.
That would be interesting. However, is there enough diversity in a lot of countries to do that? I'm asking because I have no idea.

The U.S. performs extremely well.
Last week my daughter and her partner won an entrepreneurial competition at her school. I went and there my daughter stood next to a little Asian girl with glasses. She knew what she had to when it came time to find a partner. You bring your little mean girl crew home for parties but get the Asian kids for school stuff

Of course it isn't. What issue? The only issue is a bunch of people on Twitter who feel better about themselves because "yay white people!" We need less of that, not more.
You’re correct. Until black communities are willing to look at stats like these & acknowledge that they have a culture problem (unless someone thinks it’s genetic) that keeps them consistently lagging behind in education, it’s not worth discussing. I no longer believe that any outsiders can fix it for them.

Reactions: DANC
You’re correct. Until black communities are willing to look at stats like these & acknowledge that they have a culture problem (unless someone thinks it’s genetic) that keeps them consistently lagging behind in education, it’s not worth discussing. I no longer believe that any outsiders can fix it for them.
As long as there’s zero accountability and only finger pointing.

Reactions: jet812
You are disturbed by the wrong thing.
We need to make it a national objective to help. Somehow. Neighbor down the street had his car stolen in the middle of the night. Black kids use our neighborhood for Xmas shopping. Police piss me off too. They swarm the hood all day writing tix. But the bad shit happens in the middle of the night. Load up those shifts. F off with the tickets

Okay, but that's not remotely what that Twitter thread was about. Nothing about the problems or how to fix them. Just a bunch of people patting themselves on the back for being white.

Okay, but that's not remotely what that Twitter thread was about. Nothing about the problems or how to fix them. Just a bunch of people patting themselves on the back for being white.
I'm disturbed by what was actually there.
Silly me. Here I thought you were disturbed by the data when in fact you are disturbed by the people commenting about the data. Typical for you.

• Love
Reactions: DANC and jet812
No.

The Data show Asians are kicking ass. And whites aren’t far behind.

The whole “diversity is our strength” idea gets blown up.
Well that wasn't the point of the post, according to the people who posted it. But all the Twitter twits made it a racial thing. Guess you're going the same direction.

No.

The Data show Asians are kicking ass. And whites aren’t far behind.

The whole “diversity is our strength” idea gets blown up.
Brad is right tho as it would be interesting to see it by socioeconomic. My daughter’s school has a black population probably larger than the country percentage . They do very well. Not showin off. Not falling behind. Schools in the city. The hood. Forget it.

Well that wasn't the point of the post, according to the people who posted it. But all the Twitter twits made it a racial thing. Guess you're going the same direction.
I appreciate your responses in this thread. I honestly had no idea how you could be disturbed by it. My initial thought was, awesome, Americans do kick a#% in education.

Most of the stuff I have seen over the past 15 years has the U.S. outside the top 15 usually. My overall perception has been we need major overalls, because we’re falling behind (It never matched what I saw or personally thought).

Breaking it down by race changed my entire perspective on it. We’re doing an excellent job overall and we don’t need to make major changes to the entire system. Just because some people are too stupid to discuss race, doesn’t mean the rest of us can’t be adults.

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC
Just because some people are too stupid to discuss race, doesn’t mean the rest of us can’t be adults.
until we talk about race things will never improve. covid and stay at home schooling had a horrible impact on poorer (predominantly black) neighborhoods, as did continuing to vote for cori bush type leaders. whenever you have progressives, cori bush types, and large populations of urban blacks crime will become an issue, schools will deteriorate, and whites will head for the suburbs leaving black communities behind to suffer. Stl Public Schools are just awful. here's an interesting, somewhat more holistic, view of public schools in cities with populations like Stl. Things need to change as it impacts all of us. Black kids get the short end of the stick and deserve better

I appreciate your responses in this thread. I honestly had no idea how you could be disturbed by it. My initial thought was, awesome, Americans do kick a#% in education.

Most of the stuff I have seen over the past 15 years has the U.S. outside the top 15 usually. My overall perception has been we need major overalls, because we’re falling behind (It never matched what I saw or personally thought).

Breaking it down by race changed my entire perspective on it. We’re doing an excellent job overall and we don’t need necessarily make major changes to the entire system. Just because some people are too stupid to discuss race, doesn’t mean the rest of us can’t be adults.
I wasn't bothered by your post or the original tweet. Only the responses on Twitter, which had nothing to do with the good news of American achievement and everything to do with how proud they are of their fellow whites for stepping up.

Data that show America is kicking ass? I don't find that disturbing at all.
As a whole, Americans are meh+. But, the disparity among racial groups in the U.S. is appalling. (I think that's what you've been saying as well.)

And yes, I find the entire Twitter/X thread appalling as well. It's like proclaiming the Big Ten the best football conference in the country because they have the #1 ranked team and three of the top 10 teams. Never mind that Miami (of Ohio) and Toledo are ranked higher than 10 of the 14 Big Ten teams, and half the Big Ten teams did not have winning records. Not to mention the fact that Michigan cheated to get to #1.

I wasn't bothered by your post or the original tweet. Only the responses on Twitter, which had nothing to do with the good news of American achievement and everything to do with how proud they are of their fellow whites for stepping up.
The original tweet was as bad as the replies to it. "America has proven once again that it has one of the smartest populations and, perhaps, the best education systems." Yet, that statement is only supported if you ignore blacks and Hispanics.

The original tweet was as bad as the replies to it. "America has proven once again that it has one of the smartest populations and, perhaps, the best education systems." Yet, that statement is only supported if you ignore blacks and Hispanics.
it's an interesting topic and i can only believe the failures with blacks are a product of home life and poor leadership in the school district and schools. only guesses as its a topic that i know very little about. St. Louis public schools spend $17k per student and the kids are miles behind. 90% minority. 73% economically disadvantaged. ladue spends $13k per student and it is the top school district in the state. white. rich. so presumably it is not a product of lack of funding

I'm disturbed by what was actually there.
Link them Goat. I agree that there were disturbing responses and am not sold on the conclusion or method of the tweeter (although he’s a very thorough thinker, it appears, from his many writings. I didn’t read through them to see if he’s also thoughtful).

You’ll save a lot of time and posts though arguing abstractions.

Okay, I could see that, too. Bad for different reasons. Or the same?

until we talk about race things will never improve. covid and stay at home schooling had a horrible impact on poorer (predominantly black) neighborhoods, as did continuing to vote for cori bush type leaders. whenever you have progressives, cori bush types, and large populations of urban blacks crime will become an issue, schools will deteriorate, and whites will head for the suburbs leaving black communities behind to suffer. Stl Public Schools are just awful. here's an interesting, somewhat more holistic, view of public schools in cities with populations like Stl. Things need to change as it impacts all of us. Black kids get the short end of the stick and deserve better

the schools in poor black neighborhoods were shit well before covid and Neo-Liberalism but agree on the basics. Post-industrialization and the easy access to suburbs (and now x-burbs) were the triggers, current political climate is a symptom and main perpetuator.

In America, ghettos are baked in. This just isn't a good place to pull yourself up by your bootstraps anymore. it's been a harmful illusion for the last two generations. The US is a great place if you're upper-middle class looking to get filthy rich but forget the lower to middle climb. it's over. Your school sucked, you job options suck, transportation sucks if you can't maintain a car, housing costs through the roof, god forbid you gotta go see a doctor, you're labor is taxed more than a rich guy's investments. The only ticket now is educated parents with expendable income.

Yes, if only we would talk about race more in our society.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
the schools in poor black neighborhoods were shit well before covid and Neo-Liberalism but agree on the basics. Post-industrialization and the easy access to suburbs (and now x-burbs) were the triggers, current political climate is a symptom and main perpetuator.

In America, ghettos are baked in. This just isn't a good place to pull yourself up by your bootstraps anymore. it's been a harmful illusion for the last two generations. The US is a great place if you're upper-middle class looking to get filthy rich but forget the lower to middle climb. it's over. Your school sucked, you job options suck, transportation sucks if you can't maintain a car, housing costs through the roof, god forbid you gotta go see a doctor, you're labor is taxed more than a rich guy's investments. The only ticket now is educated parents with expendable income.
I’m not sure that’s true. We’d need data on lower middle class and poorer Asian (it’s a diverse set of different people and needs to be broken into subsets) results.

Some families inculcate the importance of reading, school success, etc. Some don’t. And some are hostile towards it. I’m guessing that’s a better indicator for these scores, across all subsets.

sadly have to agree

I’m not sure that’s true. We’d need data on lower middle class and poorer Asian (it’s a diverse set of different people and needs to be broken into subsets) results.

Some families inculcate the importance of reading, school success, etc. Some don’t. And some are hostile towards it. I’m guessing that’s a better indicator for these scores, across all subsets.
asian households have a higher median income than the us as a whole and have a higher percentage holding a degree. and yes it's a diverse set of people for sure and you'd have to compare apples to apples on lower middle class and poorer asians as you write

Not sure about Asians, but seems to be true for whites and Blacks.

We’d need data on lower middle class and poorer Asian (it’s a diverse set of different people and needs to be broken into subsets) results.
Agree with murt here. I'm not sure there's a significant enough population of low income Asians unless you include Pacific Islanders maybe but then you're distancing yourself from what I expect the question may be, how socioeconomic differences affect different racial groups in America. Is there a difference between poor Asians and poor Hispanics? What about poor but in a good school district? How do you control for that? What does that tell you?

I'm sure the data is out there and would need to be pulled together but would be incredibly illuminating. I tend to think the biggest driver isn't culture but pervasive poverty (meaning more than one generation deep).

Reactions: BradStevens
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT