ADVERTISEMENT

Omicron "variant of concern"

LOL. Fewer tests mean fewer cases. Brilliant.
No what’s brilliant is college players and coaches wearing masks on the sideline. Sweat in each each other all week in practice and on the court during games and then not shaking hands at the end because they might pass on the virus. This has reached ludicrous levels.

And our brilliant president and administration makes big shows of mask wearing at TV events and wear nothing when the cameras aren’t on or they think they’re not on. I love the black masks for the dark winter. ****ing ignorant. There’s my rant for the day. 😂

I took my booster yesterday and feel like shit. Be damned if I take another one.

• Haha
Reactions: IU_Hickory

That's called "sampling"-- a small group, randomly selected, will represent the total group. You get the bell shaped curve. The efficiency of sampling maxes out at about 1500-- with more than that, you get the same average but the bell curve gets taller and narrower, providing not extra accuracy. In a smaller group, , a few outliers will throw off the average, but will have little effect on 1500 data points.

Ok….we appear to be playing with words.
Some things might be a matter of semantics. Being infected isn’t one of those. Finding a virus up the nose of a healthy individual is no reason to take drastic action.

Staphylococcus is everywhere too. Nobody shuts down events or quarantines individuals unless there are staph infections.

Reactions: Spartans9312
No what’s brilliant is college players and coaches wearing masks on the sideline. Sweat in each each other all week in practice and on the court during games and then not shaking hands at the end because they might pass on the virus. This has reached ludicrous levels.

And our brilliant president and administration makes big shows of mask wearing at TV events and wear nothing when the cameras aren’t on or they think they’re not on. I love the black masks for the dark winter. ****ing ignorant. There’s my rant for the day. 😂

I took my booster yesterday and feel like shit. Be damned if I take another one.
The pics of Illinois high school players is a trip. 10 guys all with masks under their chins the entire game.

Feel like the flu or what?

lol. because getting covid without the shot feels great? lol

Not sure anyone took a vaccine shot and said man, i'm feelin gooooood now. got some more of that?

There is no question the latter is true.
And the first part is false. It does provide some protection from getting it at all. I know I've been around a few people with COVID (my visiting daughter is currently COVID positive with mild symptoms for example) and to date I haven't caught it and neither has my wife or my daughter's boyfriend. All of us are vaccinated and boosted. My daughter hadn't gotten her booster yet. This anecdotal evidence supports the scientific data that there is protection for contracting COVID.

I see they have 20 players listed. That is less than half the 48 man regular squad (no idea how many of the 20 are practice team, if any that would raise the 48 possible). It can be Omicron which I've already admitted may not be nearly as impacted by vaccines. And of course, they are vaccinated but that doesn't mean bolstered and we know that the vaccines have been waning. It is very possible that 20 players can be infected AND the vaccine is providing other players with protection against infection. I haven't seen any evidence that isn't true.

And we know from history that super spreaders really drive infection numbers. If one of the Browns was a super spreader, that might account for the largest than the expected number (14 of the48 would be infected if the vaccine were 70% effective). If practice squad is involved, with 70% vaccine effectiveness, we would expect 19 to be infected. Awful close to the 20.

Think of it as the personal armor you wore. For many it many it made no difference. But there are many that it made all the difference in the world. Way too many police die from being shot, even those wearing armor. But that doesn't mean the armor isn't working. I see online for police it is estimated those who do not wear the armor are 14 times more likely to die from an injury.

I am not arguing the vaccine is magic, just that studies have long indicated it helps slow the spread against Delta. Even if the 70% is overblown, take it to 50%. That's still an improvement. Whether person X finds that 50% worth taking the vaccine for it up to them (outside the seriousness of illness issue). They may not find 50% compelling, but it is there nonetheless.

And they are the Browns. If we could count on any organization to screw up everything it would be one of Browns, Lions, Bengals.
NFL rosters are 53 people. 46 of them can be active for a game. Plus they can have practice squads of up to 16 players.

LOL. Fewer tests mean fewer cases. Brilliant.
It makes perfect sense and is more in line with the federal government's testing policy, which only requires testing of unvaccinated personnel. Since COVID started I believe only two players have had significant symptoms and that was before the vaccine was available. This year, zero players have had more than mild symptoms and most have had none at all.

They'll realize quickly that the answer is not making them go through stupid protocols and constant testing like that, the answer is they shouldn't be playing at all and won't be very soon. Just wait ...

They'll realize quickly that the answer is not making them go through stupid protocols and constant testing like that, the answer is they shouldn't be playing at all and won't be very soon. Just wait ...
You've been saying this for days and I think you're very much incorrect still.

A positive test does not equal “infected”. To be infected you must show symptoms. All of us have microorganisms on and in our bodies. Unless we are sick we are not infected.
Not exactly.

A positive test means you ARE infected with the virus. You are SARS-COV2-positive. It takes a certain level of virus to test positive, and if you meet that, you have an active virus culture.

But... a positive test does NOT mean that you have COVID-19, which is a disease. To be diagnosed with a disease, you must display symptoms.

So... it is absoutely wrong to say that you (or anyone) ever tested positive for COVID-19. Instead, you tested postive for SARS-COV2.

If you test positive for SARS-COV2 and have symptoms, then and only then can you can be diagnosed as having COVID-19.

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
You've been saying this for days and I think you're very much incorrect still.
It gonna take a few days, its a prediction that is unfolding, not a fact as of yet. Just sit tight ... It's not something I wish for to be right on (well maybe if there's odds on it, but I don't gamble often and wouldn't know what I'm doing), just what I expect, and I probably know a little more than you do, sounds like. I mean, you have previously said you work in government contracts, et al, and you haven't heard the same shit show I have. I used to work for the state, but I haven't for many years, and that is not how I heard what I know, but you haven't heard anything?

Last edited:
That’s really worked before hasn’t it?

Not exactly.

A positive test means you ARE infected with the virus. You are SARS-COV2-positive. It takes a certain level of virus to test positive, and if you meet that, you have an active virus culture.

But... a positive test does NOT mean that you have COVID-19, which is a disease. To be diagnosed with a disease, you must display symptoms.

So... it is absoutely wrong to say that you (or anyone) ever tested positive for COVID-19. Instead, you tested postive for SARS-COV2.

If you test positive for SARS-COV2 and have symptoms, then and only then can you can be diagnosed as having COVID-19.
Yes. It’s confirmed. I indeed had Covid 19!

Reactions: hookyIU1990
It gonna take a few days, its a prediction that is unfolding, not a fact as of yet. Just sit tight ... It's not something I wish for to be right on (well maybe if there's odds on it, but I don't gamble often and wouldn't know what I'm doing), just what I expect, and I probably know a little more than you do, sounds like. I mean, you have previously said you work in government contracts, et al, and you haven't heard the same shit show I have. I used to work for the state, but I haven't for many years, and that is not how I heard what I know, but you haven't heard anything?
When will Biden start firing workers not vaccinated at the Crane Naval Base in Southern Indiana?

Not exactly.

Won't the same sample show negative or positive in a PCR test depending on the number of amplifications? I think we agree that the presense of viral material might not be clinicly significant and the significance really depends on the condition of the patient, no? This is why I think positive tests in and of themselves is no reason to start cancelling and quarantining. And doesn't "infection" require some evidence in the patient besides the mere presence of the pathogen?

Hasn't your kid gotten word?
No word on exemption filed yet.

Easy to make light of things on here and call people names. There are intelligent people who can have serious questions about the health consequences of taking the vaccine. Anybody who thinks they know for sure the long term affects of the vaccine are pretty arrogant.

Won't the same sample show negative or positive in a PCR test depending on the number of amplifications?
Yes, but for a pcr test, there is a specified number of amplifications used every time. Otherwise a threshold value would have no meaning. The only real caveat is that, at least for some time (likely less than a day) proteins from dead virus can hang around and give you a positive. That would be rare though.

I cringe when I hear on TV all of the time that so-and-so tested positive for COVID. They didn't. They have an infection of the virus that may or may not result in COVID-19.

Won't the same sample show negative or positive in a PCR test depending on the number of amplifications? I think we agree that the presense of viral material might not be clinicly significant and the significance really depends on the condition of the patient, no? This is why I think positive tests in and of themselves is no reason to start cancelling and quarantining. And doesn't "infection" require some evidence in the patient besides the mere presence of the pathogen?
This headline is what I'm talking about:

Omicron wave will crash on US with 60% of people infected by March and 140 MILLION new infections - but 90% will never show symptoms, University of Washington says​

Wiki definition of infection is:

An infection is the invasion of an organism's body tissues by disease-causing agents, their multiplication, and the reaction of host tissues to the infectious agents and the toxins they produce.
If there is no reaction from the host in terms of symptoms, is it accurate to say that the host is "infected"?

That’s really worked before hasn’t it?
It would have been better effective, but maybe for the we are letting fans back, when they shouldn't. It is that of you're simple minded ilk that keeps this thing a problem

It would have been better effective, but maybe for the we are letting fans back, when they shouldn't. It is that of you're simple minded ilk that keeps this thing a problem
You’re the guy in a car by himself wearing a mask and voted for Biden aren’t you?

This headline is what I'm talking about:

Omicron wave will crash on US with 60% of people infected by March and 140 MILLION new infections - but 90% will never show symptoms, University of Washington says​

Wiki definition of infection is:

An infection is the invasion of an organism's body tissues by disease-causing agents, their multiplication, and the reaction of host tissues to the infectious agents and the toxins they produce.
If there is no reaction from the host in terms of symptoms, is it accurate to say that the host is "infected"?
Who the F knows? Their just trying to keep hospital beds and needed surgerys going because of rednecks that refuse the vaccination. I mean **** off, I've had more than one relative die over this political bullshit with this, not because they had COVID, just idiots that should be dragged to jail and vaccinated summarily because they are tying up the whole health care system. Guess what, health care workers are really rude these days, probably justifiably, so it makes it all so fun to deal with them, maybe people would get it before you need help.

Who the F knows? Their just trying to keep hospital beds and needed surgerys going because of rednecks that refuse the vaccination. I mean **** off, I've had more than one relative die over this political bullshit with this, not because they had COVID, just idiots that should be dragged to jail and vaccinated summarily because they are tying up the whole health care system. Guess what, health care workers are really rude these days, probably justifiably, so it makes it all so fun to deal with them, maybe people would get it before you need help.
Your bigotry is really starting to show, my Creed Aventus Cologne cost more than you make in a week! Little Feller!

If you find health care workers to be rude, I think I know why.

Reactions: Noodle and Lucy01
Your bigotry is really starting to show, my Creed Aventus Cologne cost more than you make in a week! Little Feller!
Oh sure, bigotry, are you trying to make me laugh, you betcha! Hey, just stay away from me and your Omicron friends, it'll be fine.

And I'm just getting a kick out of your " Creed Aventus Cologne", like you need that for what?

Last edited:
Oh sure, bigotry, are you trying to make me laugh, you betcha! Hey, just stay away from me and your Omicron friends, it'll be fine.
Then quit attacking me on the IU football board!

And here I thought Hickory was the least intelligent person to post on this board.
You ma’am are an idiot

You do know the shortage isn’t beds??? It’s nurses.

Reactions: Lucy01
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT