ADVERTISEMENT

Oh hell nah!

If he goes it will be because he sees his chances of developing great running backs limited by the terrible offensive lines put in front of them. Keeping Hiller will cost IU McCullough. I hope tom thinks that's a good trade off - keeping a horrible coach to lose a great one.
Man, if there is any truth to that on coach Mac’s thinking, that stings to read.

Reactions: jlasson
Man, if there is any truth to that on coach Mac’s thinking, that stings to read.
I wouldn't be surprised, only logical reason to leave his sons when he was clearly planning to be in Bloomington for at least a few years is that he feels he can't develop running backs in front of that dumpster fire Darren Hiller calls an O-line. To be fair to McCullough, he's not wrong, in this day and age, running backs are highly dependent on their O-line to produce. The only other reason Deland was here was because he was Associate Head Coach, well he wanted Hiller out and was vetoed by Allen. My guess is that move by Allen showed Deland that he may be 2nd in command in title, but Allen still controls everything, even things he shouldn't control.

Deland realized that Tom Allen is no Kevin Wilson, he doesn't know anything about how an offense should run and hired the worst O-line coach in the business. When you're the running backs coach, you're heavily dependent on the whole offense to function correctly for your position group to succeed. Since Allen refuses to take the necessary steps to improve the offensive line, DMC decided not to tarnish his reputation any further and go somewhere he can actually succeed.

Sheridan wasn’t ready to be OC IMO but also the guy is not an idiot. Deboer snapped him up as soon as he was fired. The reason the O was as bad as it was is still here. I haven’t seen an OL that bad respective to the competition in my life and it’s not like he was making the grade in prior seasons. Keeping him has cost us Penix and our top QB commit and now our RB coach and AHC and probably his sons.

Some of these Coaches need to start paying attention to appearances related to their conduct. Remember 4 years ago when the Colts were trying to fill their Head Coaching position. They interviewed several people and thought they had hired the Patriots Offensive Coordinator (Josh I forget his last name)? He accepted the job and then backed out several days later, wasting time for the Colts and perhaps costing them opportunities to hire Other People. As far as I know, this Guy hasn't been mentioned for a head Coaching Job or received an interview since. Effectively, He blackballed himself.

Same concept Here. If You take a job in the Off Season, Coach for several months and draw a paycheck
and then chase after the next shiny toy, Who is going to want to hire You next time out of work? What goes around comes around. Loyalty (or lack thereof) has a price.
All organizations care about at the end of the day, particallarly professionlly, is winning and money. The two are tied together. Josh McDaniels is the coach you are referring to that the Colts offered the job to and who later backed out. McDaniels just recently accepted the HC job for the Raiders and many in the national media are referring to it as a great hire.

Reactions: CC Mac
All organizations care abuse at the end of the day, particallarly professionlly, is winning and money. The two are tied together. Josh McDaniels is the coach you are referring to that the Colts offered the job to and who later backed out. McDaniels just recently accepted the HC job for the Raiders and many in the national media are referring to it as a great hire.
I remember when Baker Mayfield acted like a punk while he was at Oklahoma.The incident when they beat Ohio State in Columbus and when the Kansas players players refused to shake his hand before the coin toss.
He started grabbing his himself and talking shit on the sidelines.
The announcers when on and on about how NFL GM’s are watching and how they won’t draft him if he didn’t get his shit together.
Like they give two shits about character,they are only concerned with winning. He was drafted in the first round a couple months later.

Reactions: Radio Zero
For those above who mention Dasan already signed so he has to stay 1 year, that’s not happening. I don’t see IU playing hardball on this. If Dasan wants to follow dad to ND and not be here, he will be released. I am interested to know, did he enroll early, as in this semester, or is he still in HS?

With his credentials, even without having stud sons to recruit, DM would be a big hire anywhere. It’s evident he wants to be a HC someday. Whether we Like it or not, ND gives him much more visibility to do so…easier to recruit talented backs, their own TV network to promote him 7-8 times/season and in this particular case, opportunity to work with ONE OF THE BEST AND PROVEN OL COACHES in CFB, Harry Hiestand. Talk about a no brainer, compared with the OL coach he worked with in the last year and is still employed at IU!!

Reactions: Champs1976
I find it really disappointing..., on multiple levels..., but at the end of the day it appears he's noticed that both their previous RB's coach and their former TE coach have just become Offensive Coordinators...

He wants to become a Head Coach and it would appear that, in his mind, this is higher rung on that ladder that will help get him to that OC slot and on to an HC job... Personally..., I think he's highly mistaken, but I'm not his agent or confidant...

He's given the players he just brought in the first harsh lesson as to the reality of today's college football...: you'd better really love the school you've chosen because there's a great chance the position coach who recruited you will head to precieved greener pastures as soon as the opportunity presents itself...

As far as his family goes, I wouldn't give up on them yet... They'll decide what's best for themselves just like their father has... I wouldn't be surprised if the family maintained a home down here until all the youngsters get through school but who knows...

//I see this as just the rotten cherry on top of the 2021 season...//

Excuse me while I go throw up...

I know this is a "business" and coaches are going to leave for the highest bidder and best opportunity...but when does the coaching carousel and transfer madness end. Contracts and commitments mean nothing anymore! I was ok with the old rule and I still think it should be that way. You leave, you sit a year period. It's a free for all and ruining college football. His sons are enrolled and attending IU already and I'm sure the NCAA will grant a "hardship" transfer for them since dad jumped ship (again and again). It's not my life, but don't you think the family is tired of the moving! I've lived in the SB area and it's no Btown....without ND that area is the armpit of Indiana! I hope they stay and stand by their commitments but we all know that won't happen. Best wishes.

Reactions: red hornet
For those above who mention Dasan already signed so he has to stay 1 year, that’s not happening. I don’t see IU playing hardball on this. If Dasan wants to follow dad to ND and not be here, he will be released. I am interested to know, did he enroll early, as in this semester, or is he still in HS?

With his credentials, even without having stud sons to recruit, DM would be a big hire anywhere. It’s evident he wants to be a HC someday. Whether we Like it or not, ND gives him much more visibility to do so…easier to recruit talented backs, their own TV network to promote him 7-8 times/season and in this particular case, opportunity to work with ONE OF THE BEST AND PROVEN OL COACHES in CFB, Harry Hiestand. Talk about a no brainer, compared with the OL coach he worked with in the last year and is still employed at IU!!
That’s not true
He can transfer after spring ball and put in for an exception… which he’s undoubtedly receive.
The NCAA isn’t going to say no to playing for your father

I remember when Baker Mayfield acted like a punk while he was at Oklahoma.The incident when they beat Ohio State in Columbus and when the Kansas players players refused to shake his hand before the coin toss.
He started grabbing his himself and talking shit on the sidelines.
The announcers when on and on about how NFL GM’s are watching and how they won’t draft him if he didn’t get his shit together.
Like they give two shits about character,they are only concerned with winning. He was drafted in the first round a couple months later.
Loved it when he put the Oklahoma flag in the center of osu stadium

It’s NIL contracts. Not the letter of intent or enrollment.

It’s NIL contracts. Not the letter of intent or enrollment.
Does he have any contracts yet? I suspect not and the NIL he sees in SB will be substantially better.

There are definitely issues remaining and the OL is IMO the biggest, but if ND was coming knocking, he was leaving regardless of the condition of the balance of the program.

Does he have any contracts yet? I suspect not and the NIL he sees in SB will be substantially better.

There are definitely issues remaining and the OL is IMO the biggest, but if ND was coming knocking, he was leaving regardless of the condition of the balance of the program.
Yes. They just signed them. Not sure how those work.

I thought of the perfect analogy for this last night. He wants to ask the most beautiful girl in the class to the Prom, but She is dating someone else. 6 Weeks before the Prom, He asks his second choice, and She agrees to go, and goes to the expense of getting a Dress and other preparations. Two weeks before Prom, Beautiful Girl breaks up with current boyfriend.and becomes available. He then asks beautiful girl to be his prom date, Beautiful Girl, knowing all of this, accepts, and Boy dumps and uninvites girl Number One

The only ne who has any Class in this situation is girl Number One. Boy and Beautiful Girl are totally Classless. Boy wanted the Security of having a Prom Date when He asked Girl Number 1,. But when the Beautiful Girl became available, He thought that gave Him the right to ask Her and dump Girl Number 1.

Now the two classless Asshats can go to the Prom as a couple, and Girl Number One either sits Home, or accepts a last minute sympathy date.

Reactions: DANC
I understand what you're speaking of but Mc doesn't come close to falling in that category...

I think the whole rhubarb is much ado about nothing... ND wants the best RB's Coach out there and understandably identified Mc as that guy..., so they floated him an offer...; doesn't mean he has, or will, take it...

Like I said above, the ND "name" doesn't have the effect on the best of the best that it once had... Those days are a distant memory... (they just don't realize it)....
Really?
ND’s last 5 years average record is 11-2 with multiple CFP appearances.
That’s current. Not the past.
Do you know how many teams have that current resume? Five.
And ND’s academic stature is in a different stratospheric as IU’s. I wonder how much he would like his sons to get a degree from ND?
Kids today, as in not the past, still talk about ND’s reputation in college football.
ND is a step forward for him as a RB coach from IU, stop acting like it’s not.

Go read about it yourself. KC needed/wanted a spot for current WR coach, who Reid views as some sort of offense wunderkind.

Next thing you know McCullough is coming here because he loves IU so much.

He’s a loss. I’m not suggesting that he isn’t.
He is leaving for one of the biggest brands in the sport.

An opportunity that few coaches ever sniff.

To make it out to be much more than this is dumb.

Good luck in the snow.
Louder for the people in the back!! 😂

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Don't be surprised if they take Kevin Wright too. They just lost their TE coach who became an OC at Boston College.

Really?
And ND’s academic stature is in a different stratospheric as IU’s. I wonder how much he would like his sons to get a degree from ND?
Kids today, as in not the past, still talk about ND’s reputation in college football.
ND is a step forward for him as a RB coach from IU, stop acting like it’s not.
Let me explain it to you...

If you have a feeder system that indoctrinates kids clear back to the grade school level on literally a world wide scale you should be playing for a national championship on a regular basis. You don't... That's especially ridiculous when you get to make your own schedule...

You've been overrated for decades. Everyone sees that outside of the ND faithful...

Here's hoping Mc brings you the type of good fortune he brought us..

Let me explain it to you...

If you have a feeder system that indoctrinates kids clear back to the grade school level on literally a world wide scale you should be playing for a national championship on a regular basis. You don't... That's especially ridiculous when you get to make your own schedule...

You've been overrated for decades. Everyone sees that outside of the ND faithful...

Here's hoping Mc brings you the type of good fortune he brought us..
Look, i understand that IU fans hate ND...lots of people do but you cannot deny that this is a primo opportunity not only now but for the future as well.

We ain't ND.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
One good year during a global pandemic and one decent bowl year ending in a loss to Tennessee. Perfect! Very sad to see what I thought was a foundation for success crumble.

We were in the top 10, like, a year and a half ago. And ranked the year before that as well.

Must everything be so melodramatic?
Mike Davis took Indiana to a championship game. How did those following years play out? The LSU coach won an NCAA championship then got fired two years later due to his program having a major drop in success.

Tell you what. We will stop being so melodramatic if you will attempt to use logic.

If I was a ND fan, I'd wonder why we're trying to go after coaches on a 2-10 team.....
Because the guy has been amazing at every stop and is universally respected? He has a Superbowl ring. Everyone in the coaching profession could see the trash offense was not his fault.

Reactions: JohnsyRick
Mike Davis took Indiana to a championship game. How did those following years play out? The LSU coach won an NCAA championship then got fired two years later due to his program having a major drop in success.

Tell you what. We will stop being so melodramatic if you will attempt to use logic.
Logic doesn't dictate that the results of one year, filled with injury problems and other issues, outweigh the results of two, does it? No, it doesn't.

• Haha
Reactions: Nieman
One good year during a global pandemic and one decent bowl year ending in a loss to Tennessee. Perfect! Very sad to see what I thought was a foundation for success crumble.
We were good in 2019, too. Maybe don't pretend to know what you're talking about if you're going to pull the "one good year in a pandemic" bullshit.

Reactions: mk24 and Lillyr66
Was that really his motivation or did he want an easy, soft landing before he got dumped by KC?

Congrats to ND. They just hired a guy that would have his kid sign a NLI and then leave him a month later.

Honey dicked is the term I think some guys used before in here.
Wait, you are saying that you heard rumors that McCullough was getting ready to be fired by Kansas City? Because I have never even heard that even whispered. Or is that something you created in your head to validate your opinion that our team is not on fire at the moment?

Last edited:
Reactions: Chriselli
Logic doesn't dictate that the results of one year, filled with injury problems and other issues, outweigh the results of two, does it? No, it doesn't.
Such a huge drop-off followed by many transfers, multiple coaches leaving, and questionable hires have driven me, in my opinion. Not just one bad year.

Last edited:
Really?
ND is a step forward for him as a RB coach from IU, stop acting like i

I disagree. You realized that everyone went through the pandemic and were faced with the same issues. The year prior was a good year for IU too...check out the roster moves. Getting rid of a lot of players in the portal that were non-factors and replacing them with some high-level players....the world isn't ending because a coach who job hops is leaving. What did he accomplish at IU last year. Probably didn't even unpack the moving van from KC....he asked to come back to IU so what do you say about that?

Look, i understand that IU fans hate ND...lots of people do but you cannot deny that this is a primo opportunity not only now but for the future as well.

We ain't ND.
You miss my point... Neither are they (the ND of the past) anymore...

They've been living on past accomplishments for a loooonnngggg time... With the base of assets (it would take me an hour to list them all and I'd still probably miss some) they have at their disposal they should have Alabama's record...; they don't have and won't have in the near future even while playing a lesser schedule of their own making...

- Legends in their own mind... -

LSU firing wasn’t all about a drop in success. He was being a bad character behind the scenes. Much like Urban Meyer and Bobby Petrino. Lots of bad crap happened behind the scenes.

Such a huge drop-off followed by many transfers, multiple coaches leaving, and questionable hires have driven me, in my opinion. Not just one bad year.
His best years of leading an offense which led Tommy boy to hire him.
2016: Points/G: 25.8 (89th of 128)
2017: Points/G: 24.1 (100th of 130)

Now let us take a moment to look at Mike Debord's performance while at Indiana.
2017: Points/G: 26.8 (78th of 130)
2018: Points/G: 26.4 (88th of 130)

The Walt Bell hire is on par with the absolutely clueless hire of Charlton Warren and I am baffled by people on this forum that feel this hiring had no negative impact on the program. Throw in Allen not firing Hiller and I have zero faith in Tom's ability to lead.

LSU firing wasn’t all about a drop in success. He was being a bad character behind the scenes. Much like Urban Meyer and Bobby Petrino. Lots of bad crap happened behind the scenes.
It's LSU. This stuff only becomes an issue in the SEC, and especially LSU, when you dont win and they want you out.

Reactions: mk24
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT