ADVERTISEMENT

Never a dull moment in the B1G (Seminole Edition)

Rags to Roses

All-American
Aug 9, 2002
Atlanta, GA
REPORT: Florida State may leave the ACC for the Big Ten within the next MONTH. Back in August, FSU's Board of Trustees came out with a public statement threatening to LEAVE the ACC because of how far the conference is falling behind financially.Following the exclusion of FSU from the CFP, it is now being reported that the Florida State leadership made a second push to leave the ACC Where would the Noles go to? There's only 2 options with better financial prospects - the SEC & Big-10However, the SEC is very unlikely. The conference is aligned with ESPN, the network at the forefront of the CFP Collusion Scandal. It's been reported that the SEC is more interested in UVA & UNC from the ACC...That leaves the Big 10. FSU would earn a $40M/year raise in the B1G compared to their current situation in the ACC. Plus there's mutual interest on both sides. It's a no brainer The FSU Board currently has a meeting scheduled for January 31st, which will officially decide their conference affiliation. (via @MHver3)

Thank you ESPN

I'll say it for the 100th time. The SEC and B1G will each grow to 22-24 teams each and then will hold their own tournament...sans any other conference. If they play with smaller conferences, you're bound to have dominant teams bubble up over time in those conferences but you can stop that by pulling out of the NCAA. You essentially relegate them to FCS status overnight. It'll force NDs hand to join one of us or be stuck playing Navy, Oregon State, BYU.... Its the best way to minimize money and talent going outside of these 2 conferences.

There’s zero doubt the B1G and SEC are going to be the last ones standing when this nonsense finally ends. It still stuns me that the B1G bowl record is atrocious, but has become the most powerful because of a shitty tv network.

There’s zero doubt the B1G and SEC are going to be the last ones standing when this nonsense finally ends. It still stuns me that the B1G bowl record is atrocious, but has become the most powerful because of a shitty tv network.
At that point maybe they'll just decide to leave the NCAA and set up their own association and transfer rules. You could have a draft, and complicated 3- and 4-way trades of players and draft picks like the NFL and NBA.

I'll say it for the 100th time. The SEC and B1G will each grow to 22-24 teams each and then will hold their own tournament...sans any other conference.
You can say it another 100 times, but it doesn’t change the fact that excluding all others will bring a costly (and successful) anti-trust lawsuit.

There’s a reason the planned 12 team playoff will include the top rated G5 team (reaping an equal share of the pie). It’s the cost of doing business.

At that point maybe they'll just decide to leave the NCAA and set up their own association and transfer rules. You could have a draft, and complicated 3- and 4-way trades of players and draft picks like the NFL and NBA.
To do that they’d have to disassociate from the academic side of things entirely. Like making it a proper minor league. Which is not outside the realm of possible.

The more outside the box idea to make that kind of idea work would be for the schools to collude on a generic academic track that they all share in. Kids could take all online classes made up of literally any kind of major they’d be interested in and the draft concept wouldn’t put them at a disadvantage.

To do that they’d have to disassociate from the academic side of things entirely. Like making it a proper minor league. Which is not outside the realm of possible.

The more outside the box idea to make that kind of idea work would be for the schools to collude on a generic academic track that they all share in. Kids could take all online classes made up of literally any kind of major they’d be interested in and the draft concept wouldn’t put them at a disadvantage.
I follow the logic but getting the universities (particularly in the Big Ten) to accept this type of academic model is a far cry.

Facilities are typically on campus

I follow the logic but getting the universities (particularly in the Big Ten) to accept this type of academic model is a far cry.

Oh I agree. I’m just saying a draft model as he suggested has no chance of working outside of eliminating the academic component or making a wholesale change to the schooling of college football players.

You're right, and all states don't fund their state supported schools the same way either. I'm sure some legislatures would never pass legislation that will support this change to where it's even close to being equitable. .... there's about a -1000% chance that this would never happen....

... let alone the push-back that could come from all of the acadamias....

Reactions: vesuvius13
You can say it another 100 times, but it doesn’t change the fact that excluding all others will bring a costly (and successful) anti-trust lawsuit.

There’s a reason the planned 12 team playoff will include the top rated G5 team (reaping an equal share of the pie). It’s the cost of doing business.
The NCAA planned that in conjunction with all schools and its the solution under the old and existing model. The B1G also released the 2024 schedule in the spring and then had to redo it with WA and OR in the fall. Things change. Plus I don't think this happens for awhile yet.

As for the anti-trust lawsuit, if schools just removed themselves from the NCAA and formed a new league, they'd have enough defense to overcome a lawsuit. The NCAA is already an exclusive club from smaller divisions. The B1G banned FCS opponents and no anti-trust lawsuit was filed.

They aren't stopping other schools from playing each other, they just don't want to share the wealth/value held amongst the top 2 leagues. Say what you want but I stated this long before TX and OK joined the SEC and I stand by it. Too much money and no one wants to share anymore. There is no benefit to paying Ball State and propping their program up financially....just because.

Last edited:
If FSU is allowed to join the BIG then there would be an uneven # of teams in the league. Who would be the 20th team let in to make the BIG have an even # of teams?

If FSU is allowed to join the BIG then there would be an uneven # of teams in the league. Who would be the 20th team let in to make the BIG have an even # of teams?

If Florida St leaves the ACC that puts that league on the chopping block. I think you go talk to Notre Dame again or have a conversation with North Carolina.

If Florida St leaves the ACC that puts that league on the chopping block. I think you go talk to Notre Dame again or have a conversation with North Carolina.
The 12 team playoff probably bought ND a number of years from needing to join a conference. They have a lucrative TV deal, and now have an easier path to the playoffs.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
So, you were saying? I'm telling you, now for the 101th time, the B1G & the SEC are going to push their way through the room and eventually depart.

The B1G and SEC realize they have all of the top teams. That means those top teams will all be playing each other which will then hurt the chances of some of their more qualified programs from making the CFP just based on losses due to SOS. Meanwhile, other conference programs will break out in their easy conf schedules and become nationally competitive as years go by. Meaning, the top 2-3 programs from those other conferences will steal the juice/value from the current traditional powerhouses in the B1G or SEC who will slowly lose what they had prior to this large merger. Think if Oklahoma is a perennial .500 team in the SEC and Baylor suddenly is winning 2/3rds of the Big 12 titles....over time Baylor will suddenly begon to hold more national prominence and slowly gain national TV revenue value as OK loses some. You think thr B1G and SEC want to see their conferences lose value?

The only way to maintain the conf value is to make sure other conferences arent given close to equal footing. Either the B1G/SEC are given drastic advantages as is listed in the article, or else.....adios. I don't think other conferences want to give up that much but does the B1G or SEC want to lose value from where they are today by giving in? Something has to give. I don't know if it has to be as drastic as 2 guaranteed byes but this is showing you how loose the situation truly is.

B1G & SEC each want 3 guaranteed spots and a bye in new CFP proposal

Last edited:
Since there will no longer be divisions, there is really no reason to have an even number of teams. But let's say hypothetically the B1G adds Miami to make 20 teams; then it could be called The Big 10s, or the Big Ten x 2, or the Big Tent. Take your pick.

Historically ND has refused to share football revenue. I do not know what factors would push them to abandon that long held position.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT