ADVERTISEMENT

Here comes two tiers of B1G football & relegation

Rags to Roses

All-American
Aug 9, 2002
Atlanta, GA
One way to remedy that might be to create a top division and secondary division, with a few teams graduating to the top division per season and a few teams getting bumped down to the second division, a la relegation in European soccer.

Big Ten Commissioner Tony Petitti Wants More 'Meaningful' Games Late in Season​

Big Ten Commissioner Tony Petitti wants the 18-team conference to find ways to ensure that there are big-time matchups with College Football Playoff implications occuring later in the season, namely in November.
"When you're as deep as we are, we've got to do things to make sure that we have the access to the postseason that we think we deserve and has to be earned on the field," he told ESPN's Adam Rittenberg on Wednesday. "I'm a big believer in that, and that helps your regular season. More teams playing more meaningful games later in the season, I think we still can do more there."

It makes sense to want compelling matchups later in the season. Namely, fair or not, those games almost always seem to have major ramifications on the final CFP standings, and more teams will have a shot at the Playoff as it moves to a 12-team format.
There are a number of challenges Petitti will face in such an endeavor, however.
For one, there's no real way of knowing which teams will be the best teams on a year-to-year basis. Sure, programs like Ohio State and Michigan are normally strong, but even they can falter.

Also, since the Big Ten needs to utilize a rotating schedule since every team can't play one another in an 18-team league, there will simply be years when some top teams aren't scheduled to play other contenders, outside of protected rivalry matchups.

One way to remedy that might be to create a top division and secondary division, with a few teams graduating to the top division per season and a few teams getting bumped down to the second division, a la relegation in European soccer.

It's hard to imagine the schools that haven't traditionally had strong football programs—who would likely end up stuck in the second division—would want such a system, however.

So the Big Ten will face a number of challenges while trying to ensure a number of meaningful games in November that impact the CFP picture.

"We've got some work to do to figure out what that [future model] is, because obviously, it has real impact on your regular season," Petitti told Rittenberg. "You want to make sure that your teams have the ability to have a breakout season and qualify. And we also have to be realistic about what should get you access, in terms of number of wins. Look, we want meaningful games late in the season."

"We want fans to think that you know a game in the second week of November, even if you've already lost two or three games, still has a lot of value," he continued. "That's the goal."
Whether it's consistently achievable remains to be seen.

From Bleacher Report (having trouble getting link to work)

Last edited:
One thing I would like to see is presuming there are two 9 or 10 team divisions is a final game against your standings match in the other division.

For example, IU finishes 5th in the "East Division" a final game against say a 5th place "West Division" opponent, say Minnesota.

I don't see schools buying into an upper/lower scenario.

It's plausible a team that is one of the best 25 in the country, finishes a season 3-6 in the upper conference and 6-6 overall?

It's the forced parity like that I hate about the NFL.

Add 2 more teams.

Create 4 pods of 5 teams.

Play 2 non conf games, 4 pod games and 4 non-pod.

Top 8 teams play B2G championship playoff. Up to 3 games

Other teams play consolation bracket games.

The best match ups are end of season. Crappy teams play crappy teams.

I’m gonna be a grumpy old man for a moment.

Get rid of the playoff
Shrink conferences
Limit the number of bowl games to 20
Bring back the tie

What I’d give for college football to go back to following your team against conference opponents you are at least half ass familiar with with the goal of finishing at or near the top of your conference and getting rewarded with a bowl game in a warm weather part of the country.

That is all…….now get off my lawn.

I’d guess they’re trying to juice the TV ratings for better contracts.

Tired of it.
I am just riding the wave until they eventually make the decision that takes things ti where I don't care anymore. If it ever gets to a point where Indiana isn't a part of all of this realignment, I will stop watching. I don't give a rat's ass about Michigan and Ohio State, let alone Oregon or UCLA, without some connection to Indiana University. Plenty of "touch grass" things to do on a Saturday instead.

Part of what makes a big game exciting is everything lined up ahead of the game to make it that way. Right now it’s organic.

Trying to force it… I don’t know.

European soccer tried to form a super league where the best teams from each country would be in it, so every game is a “big”match-up. If every game is “big”, are any games “big”? Fans hated and protested and they dropped it.

I wish they would leave college fb alone for while.

I am just riding the wave until they eventually make the decision that takes things ti where I don't care anymore. If it ever gets to a point where Indiana isn't a part of all of this realignment, I will stop watching. I don't give a rat's ass about Michigan and Ohio State, let alone Oregon or UCLA, without some connection to Indiana University. Plenty of "touch grass" things to do on a Saturday instead.
Yea. As we all see — eventually someone will propose a “super conference” of the top-25 teams and they play each other all the time and that juices the TV deal. Bleh.

Right now commissioners of the B1G and SEC are considering all types of scenarios for schedules. The reality is they may not change much because fans don't want it to change a lot. College football needs to have things settle down for a few years to see how it breaks down with conference realignment.

Add 2 more teams.

A playoff before the playoffs is never going to work. As of now they will be playing up to 16-17 games. There’s no way any AD or HC would agree to an extra 2-3 games on top of that. HC’s are already complaining about the month of December and how crazy it is with the early signing day.

I know I’ve said this before but the writing is definitely on the wall. CFB is definitely heading to a NFL model that will consist of about 40 schools and not be part of the NCAA. Big TV contracts and money. The rest will continue with the NCAA and play bowl games and have their own National Championship. It’s now up to CCC to decide IU’s football future. Is it in the top division or stay in the NCAA with less $$?

The Big 10 should have thought about this before jumping on expansion. Due to restrictions on number of games that can be played, number of Conference games, and impossibility of balanced schedules, I don't know how You narrow down to 2 Teams for a Championship Game.

Basketball is a different animal. You can;t get to a round robin schedule. However there are enough opportunities to prove yourself over 30 some games and You can still structure some form of Conference Tournament. Plus, based upon the structure of the NCAA Tournament, You can get 50% or more of Your Teams into the tournament.

The Big 10 should have thought about this before jumping on expansion. Due to restrictions on number of games that can be played, number of Conference games, and impossibility of balanced schedules, I don't know how You narrow down to 2 Teams for a Championship Game.

Basketball is a different animal. You can;t get to a round robin schedule. However there are enough opportunities to prove yourself over 30 some games and You can still structure some form of Conference Tournament. Plus, based upon the structure of the NCAA Tournament, You can get 50% or more of Your Teams into the tournament.
Then again, the 2 Tiers and relegation may have been in mind when they started the West Coast expansion

Big Ten Commissioner Tony Petitti wants the 18-team conference to find ways to ensure that there are big-time matchups with College Football Playoff implications occuring later in the season, namely in November.
"When you're as deep as we are, we've got to do things to make sure that we have the access to the postseason that we think we deserve and has to be earned on the field," he told ESPN's Adam Rittenberg on Wednesday. "I'm a big believer in that, and that helps your regular season. More teams playing more meaningful games later in the season, I think we still can do more there."

It makes sense to want compelling matchups later in the season. Namely, fair or not, those games almost always seem to have major ramifications on the final CFP standings, and more teams will have a shot at the Playoff as it moves to a 12-team format.
There are a number of challenges Petitti will face in such an endeavor, however.
For one, there's no real way of knowing which teams will be the best teams on a year-to-year basis. Sure, programs like Ohio State and Michigan are normally strong, but even they can falter.

Also, since the Big Ten needs to utilize a rotating schedule since every team can't play one another in an 18-team league, there will simply be years when some top teams aren't scheduled to play other contenders, outside of protected rivalry matchups.

It's hard to imagine the schools that haven't traditionally had strong football programs—who would likely end up stuck in the second division—would want such a system, however.

So the Big Ten will face a number of challenges while trying to ensure a number of meaningful games in November that impact the CFP picture.

"We've got some work to do to figure out what that [future model] is, because obviously, it has real impact on your regular season," Petitti told Rittenberg. "You want to make sure that your teams have the ability to have a breakout season and qualify. And we also have to be realistic about what should get you access, in terms of number of wins. Look, we want meaningful games late in the season."

"We want fans to think that you know a game in the second week of November, even if you've already lost two or three games, still has a lot of value," he continued. "That's the goal."

This is pretty fed up, imo. The drive to please the networks and to squeeze every last $$ out of them is over the top. Just play the fricking games and let things sort out naturally you smuck.

I’d guess they’re trying to juice the TV ratings for better contracts.

Tired of it.
As I consider it more, this is probably how B1G sees they can get better media payments in the next round of media rights negotiations. They have to eventually give full media $$$ shares to Oregon, etc.

Separately, could be interesting to see how this works into playoffs. Perhaps gives best team(s) in second tier a good shot at an at large bid.

(Big Ten Commissioner Tony Petitti) " ... access to the postseason that we think we deserve and has to be earned on the field ... "

He forgot to add "Unless you're Ohio State being pushed out of the title game by Indiana, then we vote off the field to adjust the previous rules."

(Big Ten Commissioner Tony Petitti) " ... access to the postseason that we think we deserve and has to be earned on the field ... "

He forgot to add "Unless you're Ohio State being pushed out of the title game by Indiana, then we vote off the field to adjust the previous rules."
And then the conference will still F us out of the Cirtus Bowl. Never forget.

IU already plays UM and tOSU in November, 2024. Combined with the Bucket, these will be the nation's 3 biggest November games. Don't know what the commission is talking about.
The league has a lot of mouths to feed. They moved the Penn State - MSU up to Black Friday night to give NBC content. After MSU imploded that game wasn't the attractive match up originally expected, it was a Turkey (or maybe turkey leftovers). That is what they are trying to avoid.

A playoff before the playoffs is never going to work. As of now they will be playing up to 16-17 games. There’s no way any AD or HC would agree to an extra 2-3 games on top of that. HC’s are already complaining about the month of December and how crazy it is with the early signing day.

I know I’ve said this before but the writing is definitely on the wall. CFB is definitely heading to a NFL model that will consist of about 40 schools and not be part of the NCAA. Big TV contracts and money. The rest will continue with the NCAA and play bowl games and have their own National Championship. It’s now up to CCC to decide IU’s football future. Is it in the top division or stay in the NCAA with less $$?
But he dropped the number of scheduled games down to 10, so those last two 'opponent TBD' would give everyone still 12 and the playoff winners play the 13th in the Championship game.

But he dropped the number of scheduled games down to 10, so those last two 'opponent TBD' would give everyone still 12 and the playoff winners play the 13th in the Championship game.
Makes more sense, I read it wrong. I still personally don’t like it but not because of the idea, just all of the change. I know it’s inevitable but I was happy with 11, fine with 12, annoyed with 14 and now with 18 I’m just numb.

If you read my post and did the math, you'd see they would play 13 games Max before the CFP. They already play 13 regular season games so why is that all of a sudden a problem?

I don't have a bucket list and good thing with my spinal issues and pain.
I'm with you on that. I went from walking very well and fast all of my life to suddenly barely walking at all about six years ago due to stenosis and scoliosis. Since I now have lost all of my friends, mostly to death, I don't have any special reason to have surgery since I never go anywhere now.

Right now commissioners of the B1G and SEC are considering all types of scenarios for schedules. The reality is they may not change much because fans don't want it to change a lot. College football needs to have things settle down for a few years to see how it breaks down with conference realignment.
And the expanded playoffs

I'm with you on that. I went from walking very well and fast all of my life to suddenly barely walking at all about six years ago due to stenosis and scoliosis. Since I now have lost all of my friends, mostly to death, I don't have any special reason to have surgery since I never go anywhere now.
I know how tough it is when our backs get so bad as mine still is going bad despite surgery that keep me from being invalid and unable to walk. I can't walk very well any more despite being like you when I was younger walking fast and long but now one block is tough for me.

I hope you have something else to do as our backs really keep us from things we like. I have a golden retriever that pushes me if I am not doing much unless I am having a real bad day. Keep plugging away how much you can.

I know how tough it is when our backs get so bad as mine still is going bad despite surgery that keep me from being invalid and unable to walk. I can't walk very well any more despite being like you when I was younger walking fast and long but now one block is tough for me.

I hope you have something else to do as our backs really keep us from things we like. I have a golden retriever that pushes me if I am not doing much unless I am having a real bad day. Keep plugging away how much you can.
Not to make fun of any of You with back problems and thank God it's not a problem for Me, But remember that old joke? How ca You tell You are getting old?

1. Your back goes out more than You do.
2, Your knees buckle, but Your belt won't

Thank you for the kind thoughts. It is unfortunate that a group of us would still love to attend the games, but cannot do so. I can drive the three and half hours to the stadium, but cannot walk from the parking lot to the stadium and then from the stadium to the seats. I am so glad I have BTN+ so I can watch most of the IU events. I especially like the women's basketball and softball, plus the baseball games. It is well worth the investment for me. I said once, and I really mean it, that those of us diehard fans should meet in a restaurant some time to talk.

Last edited:
Good thread, this place is healing up nicely over the past couple of months.

This appears to be a TV ratings play and I don't blame anyone involved. We are already going to force-schedule a number of protected rivalry games so why not do the same for another six or eight November games. If you do the league schedules in July we have 16 months for operations to respond and enough recency-data to make good choices.

I don't have a bucket list and good thing with my spinal issues and pain.
Hey v even at my seasoned status I've got 2 Bucket Lists. 1st 1 is active and still doable if the sand doesn't accelerate through the hourglass. The 2nd BL is higher targets with 1 example being Gracie Hunt. Iffy, ya, but I figure that's why there is a sky. Thinking positive with a full glass!

Add 2 more teams.

What kinda kills that is the west coast where if you don't add one more team from that side of the country, you'll have an odd man out. Now, hopping on the speculation train, if you got ND and FSU 4 team "zone" pods fall right into line:

west
Or
Was
USC
UCLA

Upper MW
Neb
Wisky
Iowa
Minny

MW
OSU
IN
Illni
Pur

Great Lakes
MI
MSU
NW
ND

East
Rutgers
Mary
PSU
FSU

The midwest and GL could switch IU or Purdue but one would have to be the sacrificial lamb for the GL pod, although with all the changes maybe Mi won't be the powerhouse they've been the last few years. Could also put ND and NW into the Great lakes (which makes regional sense) and put OSU and Indiana into the MW. Tht actually looks a little better.

Changed it. That does look better, Purdue could still have their protected rivalry game with NW and start the Shillelagh back up with the irish as the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: midwolfe

The best way to do it is have 9 game schedules, then seed an 18 team conf tournament, with a losers bracket so everyone gets at least 12 games in. That way the last games of the season are guaranteed to be the best games. The B1G title is still the 13th game for those who make it. That seems to be the best way.

The best way to do it is have 9 game schedules, then seed an 18 team conf tournament, with a losers bracket so everyone gets at least 12 games in. That way the last games of the season are guaranteed to be the best games. The B1G title is still the 13th game for those who make it. That seems to be the best way.
So one non conference game ? This would be fun.

So one non conference game ? This would be fun.
Yes, whatever will we do without games vs. Eastern Illinois and Ark Pine Bluffs. Regardless, you can have 3 non-conf games as the tournament is part of conference play.

Hey v even at my seasoned status I've got 2 Bucket Lists. 1st 1 is active and still doable if the sand doesn't accelerate through the hourglass. The 2nd BL is higher targets with 1 example being Gracie Hunt. Iffy, ya, but I figure that's why there is a sky. Thinking positive with a full glass!
HC I think positively but my body smacks me down over and over. I get the most out of days that I can and enjoy my life even though there isn't much activity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT