ADVERTISEMENT

Mullins blowing up...

This season is so important for future recruiting.
With a successful season the top guys will see that there can be success at IU.
If not, none of these guys will want to come and it will be starting all over again.

Reactions: Indyhorn
Just got a UNC offer. Gonna end up being a battle.
what's your scouting report on him, who would be comparable? would you take him over Sisley. was talking to a well-connected booster yesterday told me he thinks we are in a great position to land 3 Indiana kids next year, and that the 3-thought playing together would be great, assume he was talking about Mullins Harelson and Sisley, do those guys play Aau together? reason I asked about Sisley heard from several sources he may be overrated.

what's your scouting report on him, who would be comparable? would you take him over Sisley. was talking to a well-connected booster yesterday told me he thinks we are in a great position to land 3 Indiana kids next year, and that the 3-thought playing together would be great, assume he was talking about Mullins Harelson and Sisley, do those guys play Aau together? reason I asked about Sisley heard from several sources he may be overrated.
Mullins is a 2 and Sisley at 4, so not sure they are take one or the other types.
Harralson i question a bit, fishers got better when he left.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Willdog7
Mullins is very good. Deceptively quick and strong with the ball. Very good outside shooter. Uses his length well on smaller guards.

Sisley is a pretty solid all around wing. Longer and bigger than Mullins. Not as good guard skill wise, not as quick, but more comfortable playing against bigs.

Harelson is probably a future lottery pick. He's a different animal all together than Mullins and Sisley. Can play effectively at any position 1-4. Plus ball skills. Very athletic.

Moreno isn't an Indiana kid, but would be an awesome signing. He's a monster in the post.

All 4 of the above play on same AAU team, Indiana Elite. I'll be happy if we get any of them. Any combination of multiples would be incredible.

Mullins is a 2 and Sisley at 4, so not sure they are take one or the other types.
Harralson i question a bit, fishers got better when he left.
Fishers became different. And they had some other really good young players that never got the chance to play with Harelson, that were instrumental in their season last year.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Fishers became different. And they had some other really good young players that never got the chance to play with Harelson, that were instrumental in their season last year.
True, just chatter around fishers were it was addition by subtraction as far as chemistry.
Not many 14-12 teams lose a 5 star kid and then go 29-1 and win state

Mullins is very good. Deceptively quick and strong with the ball. Very good outside shooter. Uses his length well on smaller guards.

Sisley is a pretty solid all around wing. Longer and bigger than Mullins. Not as good guard skill wise, not as quick, but more comfortable playing against bigs.

Harelson is probably a future lottery pick. He's a different animal all together than Mullins and Sisley. Can play effectively at any position 1-4. Plus ball skills. Very athletic.

Moreno isn't an Indiana kid, but would be an awesome signing. He's a monster in the post.

All 4 of the above play on same AAU team, Indiana Elite. I'll be happy if we get any of them. Any combination of multiples would be incredible.
sorry...Harelson plays for Indy Heat, not Indiana Elite...the other 3 mentioned in my post play for Indiana Elite together.

I think Sisley will be a Robbie Hummel type player. Thats pretty good!

I have listened to Todd Leary and he is very high on Mullins. I don't think he's come out and said he's plain better, but it sounds to me like he thinks he's the better overall prospect and would prefer him if we only got one of the two, between he and Sisley. The 3-pack the booster mentioned is likely Sisley, Mullins and 7'1" Malachi Moreno, who's from Georgetown KY but plays with the other two on their Indy Elite AAU team. Harelson is on a different team. I've heard all 3 interviewed and they said they enjoy playing together and it would be good to play together in college, but I don't think it's something they are actively pursuing. Moreno will be hard to get from UK, but I think is the most highly regarded of the 3 and I think is ranked around 30th. Sisley is in the 70s-80s I think and Mullins higher for the moment, but sounds like he is going to move up a good bit; likely ahead of Sisley. They can, and do on their AAU team, play together.

Last edited:
Mullins fits more IU style of play and Sisley more Pu style
Mullins was offered by Purdue yesterday. Normally, that wouldn't be news but Purdue has one open ride for that class. Short of another person dropping off scholarship and paying their own way, offering a guard is a pretty big deal.

Mullins was offered by Purdue yesterday. Normally, that wouldn't be news but Purdue has one open ride for that class. Short of another person dropping off scholarship and paying their own way, offering a guard is a pretty big deal.
seems like they think they lead for Sisley, but in today's era I'm sure signing both would be safe, they probably think loyer will go pro

Painter over committed by three this year, then Creaned two players and needs to Crean another.... there's no reason he won't do it again.

I’ve always thought, generally thinking, that Purdue players often have a certain look, that is, facially appearance-wise. I’ll just leave it at that, conditioned by mother to remain silent when mocking thoughts are hard to speak.
Can go back far too — Brian Cardinal comes to mind.

Painter over committed by three this year, then Creaned two players and needs to Crean another.... there's no reason he won't do it again.
Well that's incorrect. Mason and Zach both chose after the last season to make this past season their last. That was reported my multiple media members prior to this past season beginning. Both could have came back. Mason earned his masters, Zach and Ethan both graduated after their junior year. It was communicated to Ethan his minutes would be cut so he chose to make it his last as well.

They don't need to lose anyone else, a senior chose to give up their scholarship and pay their own way.... they are at 13.

Reactions: 816buroak
I assume you didn't count edey as being Pork Chopped. Just gillis and Norton?

Players who have been in a program 4-6 years, have bachelors degrees and even Masters and have a Covid year to play elsewhere have fulfilled every aspect of a student-athlete and certainly do you fit the Creaning profile!

Good lord dude, give it up. I’m not a freaking PU fan. Unlike you I can recognize a program doing things well and the right way. Most IU fans I know see it the same well and want IU to operate like that. Good fundamental basketball with recruiting the state.
"Doing things Well"...for sure.

"Doing things the Right Way"... up for debate. It generally works for Purdue, and for what their program expectations have become throughout the years. But as has been talked about ad nauseum, the "Purdue way" isn't necessarily what IU should emulate.

IU last went to a FF in 2002...the "Purdue way" that you've had a hard on for lately produces FF's once every 44 years or so...and this time it took a generational, Canadian, talent to get there. They may never go back. I'd rather IU make some again before 2046. I'll be pushing 70 by then, might give me a heart attack.

Lets emulate UConn, or Carolina, or Kansas... as long as its been since we rubbed elbows with those types of schools, this offseason proves IU still has the resources and national profile to quickly get back up there...with the right coach who uses the right approach and philosophy.

"Doing things the Right Way"... up for debate. It generally works for Purdue, and for what their program expectations have become throughout the years. But as has been talked about ad nauseum, the "Purdue way" isn't necessarily what IU should emulate.

IU last went to a FF in 2002...the "Purdue way" that you've had a hard on for lately produces FF's once every 44 years or so...and this time it took a generational, Canadian, talent to get there. They may never go back. I'd rather IU make some again before 2046. I'll be pushing 70 by then, might give me a heart attack.

Lets emulate UConn, or Carolina, or Kansas... as long as its been since we rubbed elbows with those types of schools, this offseason proves IU still has the resources and national profile to quickly get back up there...with the right coach who uses the right approach and philosophy.
How did IU become a power? Great coach who harped on fundamentals and had the state on lock down for recruiting.
Purdue way vs Iu way looks to be a lot more successful as far as a program goes. Heck thankfully Virginia had the fluke free throw debacle and escaped with that win or PU has two final fours in last 6 years.
IU way lately is a revolving door of bad hires. Iu has had much better individual talent that PU but PU wins at a higher clip. Final four is great but let’s get IU back to even being a threat to doing something like that first. Win the conference, conference tourney, something!,

I'd take everyone off the list to emulate but UConn. I think that guy is building a monster, and that's who I'd be emulating. IU really has hit upon the perfect storm to get back to relevancy with NIL. Whether Woody was lazy or ahead of the curve, I think winning programs are going to have to adjust their tactics and go after stud HS players, OR pursue proven players with NIL. Doing things the "old way" of getting lower-rated HS guys and developing them is going by the wayside and will be more of a rarity going forward. Painter and Izzo both seem to be behind the curve, but obviously both are proven coaches. I think we may really rue that we didn't go ahead and pull the trigger and get Dusty, but we'll see. I'm hopeful that Woody putting renewed focus on the 2025 guys shows he's going to do just that: go after really good HS'ers and be active in NIL.

This year is a litmus test. I hope the powers that be set minimum expectations, and to me that should be a minimum of a top 2 showing in the B10 and 2nd weekend of the tourney, with the resources poured in.

How did IU become a power? Great coach who harped on fundamentals and had the state on lock down for recruiting.
Purdue way vs Iu way looks to be a lot more successful as far as a program goes. IU way lately is a revolving door of bad hires. Iu has had much better individual talent that PU but PU wins at a higher clip. Final four is great but let’s get IU back to even being a threat to doing something like that first. Win the conference, conference tourney, something!
IU hasn't had a "way" since RMK. We've had a series of either mediocre coaches, or ones that were terrible fits. And yet...here's what we look like versus Purdue since RMK was fired.

Purdue leads head to head record 23-19
Purdue leads B10 Reg Season Champs 5-3
Purdue leads NCAA tourneys 16-12
Tied with Final Fours at 1 a piece

It doesn't take too much further thought to realize Purdue's model really isn't all that special. What Purdue has been, is consistently solid. They really haven't "achieved" much more than IU has since RMK though. IU has had peaks and valleys, because of the coaching hires.

If and when IU comes to its senses and hires a good, long term, solid coach...I hope he sets his sights a hell of a lot higher than Purdue basketball.

You want Texas Tech...I want Kansas.

You want Creighton...I want UConn.

IU hasn't had a "way" since RMK. We've had a series of either mediocre coaches, or ones that were terrible fits. And yet...here's what we look like versus Purdue since RMK was fired.

Purdue leads head to head record 23-19
Purdue leads B10 Reg Season Champs 5-3
Purdue leads NCAA tourneys 16-12
Tied with Final Fours at 1 a piece

It doesn't take too much further thought to realize Purdue's model really isn't all that special. What Purdue has been, is consistently solid. They really haven't "achieved" much more than IU has since RMK though. IU has had peaks and valleys, because of the coaching hires.

If and when IU comes to its senses and hires a good, long term, solid coach...I hope he sets his sights a hell of a lot higher than Purdue basketball.

You want Texas Tech...I want Kansas.

You want Creighton...I want UConn.
No I want to win. Also can understand going back until Knight but whose program seems to be more on the uptick in last 6-8 years. I’m suggesting painter has built a system and a culture that is working and we seem to chase our tail here.

Players who have been in a program 4-6 years, have bachelors degrees and even Masters and have a Covid year to play elsewhere have fulfilled every aspect of a student-athlete and certainly do you fit the Creaning profile!
He's just another basketball pimp .. quit making lame ass excuses.

No I want to win. Also can understand going back until Knight but whose program seems to be more on the uptick in last 6-8 years. I’m suggesting painter has built a system and a culture that is working and we seem to chase our tail here.
We're in the middle of one of the bigger changes and shifts to college sports, and for sure basketball...really ever.

We'll see how his model ends up holding up over the next few years. Edey has insulated him from having to worry about much of this stuff. Its really easy to talk about winning through development, recruiting Indiana kids and sticking with them, etc... when you have a generational, anomaly big man that you're literally running your entire program around.

We've all seen what actual good, "national level", guards and wings do to his developed non Edey players.

Take Edey out of the equation, and his numbers against IU are basically even. And that includes a couple dumpster fire Crean years, and the lost Archie years.

Painter has had the advantage of stability and continuity at Purdue. Some of that is his doing, some of that he inherited from Keady. With that, he's barely outperformed IU.

We all want to win. Obviously I'd prefer Purdue or Wisconsin levels of success recently over IUs. So if I'm choosing between the last 7 years of IU basketball versus Purdue's results...obviously anyone would pick Purdue. But IU has a choice on how it goes about winning again. They can fully utilize their capacity, compete for B10 titles AND be a somewhat consistent Natty threat (no one is a natty threat every year). Or...they can try to be like Purdue, not use their full capacity, and be solid and compete for B10 titles.

There's no reason to set our sights lower than what our programs capacity is.

We're in the middle of one of the bigger changes and shifts to college sports, and for sure basketball...really ever.

We'll see how his model ends up holding up over the next few years. Edey has insulated him from having to worry about much of this stuff. Its really easy to talk about winning through development, recruiting Indiana kids and sticking with them, etc... when you have a generational, anomaly big man that you're literally running your entire program around.

We've all seen what actual good, "national level", guards and wings do to his developed non Edey players.

Take Edey out of the equation, and his numbers against IU are basically even. And that includes a couple dumpster fire Crean years, and the lost Archie years.

Painter has had the advantage of stability and continuity at Purdue. Some of that is his doing, some of that he inherited from Keady. With that, he's barely outperformed IU.

We all want to win. Obviously I'd prefer Purdue or Wisconsin levels of success recently over IUs. So if I'm choosing between the last 7 years of IU basketball versus Purdue's results...obviously anyone would pick Purdue. But IU has a choice on how it goes about winning again. They can fully utilize their capacity, compete for B10 titles AND be a somewhat consistent Natty threat (no one is a natty threat every year). Or...they can try to be like Purdue, not use their full capacity, and be solid and compete for B10 titles.

There's no reason to set our sights lower than what our programs capacity is.
Not sure how that’s setting sights lower than its capacity? Recruit and develop and have the money to keep them once they develop.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT