ADVERTISEMENT

According to a well connected fan on another site…

I'll be thankful if all they make is a Final Four. PU seems a team of destiny this season...hand-picked former player/assistant coach finally wins one for the aging Gene Keady. The last time I saw him on camera he looked like he was already three feet under and half way there. Purdue is motivated by their laughable 17th seed loss last tournament. They feature the soon to be 2X national player of the year, a Canadian of Chinese decent. The liberal media will jump on his story, including his brainy mother who made good of herself despite their many struggles in a white man's world. Having not sniffed a FF since 1980, Purdue will be the media's darlings going forward. It's PU's tournament to lose. I don't think they will this time. If they win it all, It will shut us up until we win one again, marking us as "little brother" until we do. Think about it and let me know if it makes you wanna PUke like it does me.
if he's half Chinese the far-right communist media will love his story to, tucker Carlson will probably do a fluff piece on him.

Don’t get to excited. Those could mean for assistant coaches and Trilly has walked back a bit. Rabby and him agree that woody probably gets next year barring a complete collapse. It’s on his “pay” discord site. Nothing was said about who either.
He should be contacting coaches and keeping aware of who's out there. He's got a 64+ yo coach, who had no college coaching experience and is in the midst of a season where his team is struggling badly. If our coach had prepared for such contingencies, we'd not have an open scholarship.

I've heard that is is going to be PU's year my entire life, and they always fail hard when it matters. Last year was literally the biggest fail in NCAA history. Once again, PU doesn't have any NBA players on its roster or elite guards: that means they are ripe to lose, like always. Death, taxes, and PU failing in March are the constants in life. How many times do you have to see it?
Edey will play in the NBA. You can keep wishing he won't, but he will. Now, I agree they are vulnerable, and I've said for awhile, once they get away from B10 refs, someone's going to call Edey for the moving screens, OTBs and being too physical getting position. Heck, the refs last night had the audacity to call 4 fouls on him??? I'm sure they heard a good bit from Matt and he'll get back on his soap box, even though MN had 2 guys foul out and had 20 fouls called on them to PUs 13.

Blowout losses happen, and so do assistants on radio shows. Hell Auburn beat a ranked SC team by 40 last night!

Not making the tourney, horrid roster construction, and underachieving is why this season is shit.

They just happen way more frequently with Woodson.

Dude is getting pummeled by 15+ routinely. That stat earlier this year was eye popping. And it's only gotten worse since then.

This season is sh*t, but Woodson was being taken to the woodshed well before that. This isn't a one year problem. He just can't hide it as well because there is no JHS or TJD this year.

Woodson needs to roll a Yahtzee in the portal or he is a dead man walking.

Last edited:
I'll be thankful if all they make is a Final Four. PU seems a team of destiny this season...hand-picked former player/assistant coach finally wins one for the aging Gene Keady. The last time I saw him on camera he looked like he was already three feet under and half way there. Purdue is motivated by their laughable 17th seed loss last tournament. They feature the soon to be 2X national player of the year, a Canadian of Chinese decent. The liberal media will jump on his story, including his brainy mother who made good of herself despite their many struggles in a white man's world. Having not sniffed a FF since 1980, Purdue will be the media's darlings going forward. It's PU's tournament to lose. I don't think they will this time. If they win it all, It will shut us up until we win one again, marking us as "little brother" until we do. Think about it and let me know if it makes you wanna PUke like it does me.

Your closing arguments gives me goosebumps :)

I've heard that is is going to be PU's year my entire life, and they always fail hard when it matters. Last year was literally the biggest fail in NCAA history. Once again, PU doesn't have any NBA players on its roster or elite guards: that means they are ripe to lose, like always. Death, taxes, and PU failing in March are the constants in life. How many times do you have to see it?
Not sure what this has to do with my post you quoted, but ok.

Edey will play in the NBA. You can keep wishing he won't, but he will. Now, I agree they are vulnerable, and I've said for awhile, once they get away from B10 refs, someone's going to call Edey for the moving screens, OTBs and being too physical getting position. Heck, the refs last night had the audacity to call 4 fouls on him??? I'm sure they heard a good bit from Matt and he'll get back on his soap box, even though MN had 2 guys foul out and had 20 fouls called on them to PUs 13.
So you are saying that the refs in the tournament will call Purdue differently than in the entire regular season? Personally, I’d love a cleaner game. I hate the muckiness. Part of why they call so many fouls on Purdue is because of their style of play. They take a lot of shots around the rim.

With Edey at the rim, teams draw less contact driving in because the fade or float the ball and Edey does a good job of staying straight up or sidestepping to avoid contact. Didn’t think Minnesota got a bad whistle last night. There were a ton of terrible calls though. Ref show was tough.

• Haha
Reactions: kkott
I don’t put a 5 seed getting to final game meaning that much over a 30 year period. Is George Mason a better program than PU or IU the last 20 years?
Boiler Up bs Smitty- can’t argue with the black and gold running in your veins. Me I think March matters over all, I give your Boilers the last decade, no more. We agree to disagree.

Reactions: Vern Pain
Boiler Up bs Smitty- can’t argue with the black and gold running in your veins. Me I think March matters over all, I give your Boilers the last decade, no more. We agree to disagree.
I’m not a PU fan. Just saying you can’t use a final four appearance as the measuring stick when programs like George Mason, VCU, FAU, etc have went. Obviously they are not better programs than IU or PU

Maybe, but certainly not with 7’-4” two-time national freaks of the year.

He's pretty consistent w his recruiting. He always gets a 7 footer of some sort who ends up a force in the B10. He recruits the state well. He knows what he wants and how to put the pieces together. I'm jealous.

He does have problems come March, but I think it has as much to do w being in the B10 as the stubbornness thing you hear from some PU fans.

Painter gives them a shot at a F4 each year w a good seed. You gotta think at some point Purdue is going to have their day.

I’m not a PU fan. Just saying you can’t use a final four appearance as the measuring stick when programs like George Mason, VCU, FAU, etc have went. Obviously they are not better programs than IU or PU

That was such a weird tournament run. The bracket collapsed in such a way that IU only had to beat the 12, 13 and 10 seeds...and Duke (1). Of course those three double digit seeds would have been a problem for Purdue.

That was such a weird tournament run. The bracket collapsed in such a way that IU only had to beat the 12, 13 and 10 seeds...and Duke (1). Of course those three double digit seeds would have been a problem for Purdue.
The parting of waters reminds me of Virginia’s natty — they played 16, 9, 12, 3, 5, and 3. Lucky draw.

It was pretty sweet coming off Duke and being confident we were gonna blow out Kent State with a big IU crowd at Rupp of all places. Our win vs OK proved Duke wasn’t a fluke. That was all so fun.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
He's pretty consistent w his recruiting. He always gets a 7 footer of some sort who ends up a force in the B10. He recruits the state well. He knows what he wants and how to put the pieces together. I'm jealous.

He does have problems come March, but I think it has as much to do w being in the B10 as the stubbornness thing you hear from some PU fans.

Painter gives them a shot at a F4 each year w a good seed. You gotta think at some point Purdue is going to have their day.
Yea. The Virginia luck draw mentioned above is what can happen when you play enough tournaments — all of a sudden you get an easy run.

Pretty hard to diminish the fact that they did beat that #1 seed though. They also beat Sampson's really good Oklahoma team to get to the finals.

Last edited:
The parting of waters reminds me of Virginia’s natty — they played 16, 9, 12, 3, 5, and 3. Lucky draw.

It was pretty sweet coming off Duke and being confident we were gonna blow out Kent State with a big IU crowd at Rupp of all places. Our win vs OK proved Duke wasn’t a fluke. That was all so fun.

That was a strong team at the end. The barrage of 3's in the Kent State game was thrilling. It wasn't a fluke, but one wonders what might have been had they played USC or Pitt or one of those teams had the bracket played out normally.

Actually, it would be interesting to see an alternative history had IU lost in round 2. Mike Davis doesn't survive nearly as long at IU, and every subsequent coaching change is altered.

So the Dusty May team was a fluke? You can easily use a final four run in your reasoning when you beat #1 seed Duke on the way and then beat an Outstanding Oklahoma team once you get there.

That VCU team was fun. Won a play in game then ran layup drills on Purdue. Feels like this happens a lot with Purdue?

Last edited:
That was a strong team at the end. The barrage of 3's in the Kent State game was thrilling. It wasn't a fluke, but one wonders what might have been had they played USC or Pitt or one of those teams had the bracket played out normally.

Actually, it would be interesting to see an alternative history had IU lost in round 2. Mike Davis doesn't survive nearly as long at IU, and every subsequent coaching change is altered.
Would have been quite the butterfly effect.

So the Dusty May team was a fluke? You can easily use a final four run in your reasoning when you beat #1 seed Duke on the way and then beat an Outstanding Oklahoma team once you get there.

That VCU team was fun. Won a play in game then ran layup drills on Purdue. Feels like this happens a lot.wuth Purdue?
You are missing the point totally. Which isn’t unexpected

Appears Woodson is going to get next season, barring an absolute collapse down the stretch. Same person said he thinks Sisley ends up at Purdue, Mullins to ND and Haralson to Duke. He said the families of these kids like IU, but just not a fan of the style of play.

Man, if you can’t recruit your own state…..
I don't know who this "well connected" fan is,and what site. I do know that with regards to Sisley a poster on a certain Premium site is a long time friend of the family. His longtime info has been that it's basically between IU and MSU and that it's close. But the one point he has stressed all along was that it would not be Purdue, that they had been eliminated early on and that the continued inclusion of Purdue in the process was a courtesy...

It’s my hope this March flame-out thing of theirs, this madness come March month, has gotten into the heads of these boys, manifesting in a rigidity of musculature and delayed synapsis firing, both stress related and anything but easy to overcome.

I don't know who this "well connected" fan is,and what site. I do know that with regards to Sisley a poster on a certain Premium site is a long time friend of the family. His longtime info has been that it's basically between IU and MSU and that it's close. But the one point he has stressed all along was that it would not be Purdue, that they had been eliminated early on and that the continued inclusion of Purdue in the process was a courtesy...
As bearer of good tidings, please post more often.

Would going 0-7 be considered a “collapse”? 0-8 if you add the first game of the B1G Tourney.

Because that is a real possibility. We won’t be favored in any of our remaining games.
sounds like 4-5 would look pretty good with those kind of expectations.

You are missing the point totally. Which isn’t unexpected
Just to clarify, you initially said something about PU surpassing IU 25 years ago. Someone stated that it's more like ten, which numbers bear out. He mentioned the 2002 finals run which you dismissed as somehow not pertinent to the discussion. 25 years is a ridiculous statement.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
So you are saying that the refs in the tournament will call Purdue differently than in the entire regular season? Personally, I’d love a cleaner game.
Yes, I'm saying I believe non-B10 refs will call games differently, and I believe Edey will get called for more fouls if he keeps playing as he does now. I'm not talking about Edey on defense, or the fouls he draws on offense. He gets hammered and does and should get fouls called against his defenders. I'm talking about the fouls they don't call on Edey for moving screens, over the back and his fouling defenders while gaining position.

You'd love a "cleaner" game? Doubt it. Last night PU doubled up MN on FTs: 32-16, and fouled out 2 of their starters. And, we already know about the debacle in fouls and FTs vs NW in that second game. I'd guess what you really mean, is you want even fewer fouls called on PU. I wonder how many more L's PU would have if they called a "cleaner game"? NW for sure would be a loss. Things would be very tight vs MN even. Bama? Zona? Marquette? Do you realize how many games PU has a large advantage in fouls and FTs?

Slow big men that can't dribble, shoot, or guard anybody don't stick in the NBA. Edey would have gone pro last year if he could play in the NBA. Edey can hang out around the bucket in college, not in the NBA.

The biggest part of Painter's strategy is convincing refs Edey doesn't foul, which is nonsense. Take away the foul disparity, and PU loses a big part of their game.

Would going 0-7 be considered a “collapse”? 0-8 if you add the first game of the B1G Tourney.

Because that is a real possibility. We won’t be favored in any of our remaining games.
I get what everyone means, not being critical, but is kinda funny when we’ve already collapsed this season and there is some kinda next level collapse to consider.

Maybe this is roster related too? If we had a bad mix of portal departures and not so great arrivals that would be a further collapse.

I think Woody will get next year — probably wins a few games this year and has a not obviously bad portal. Not that I agree but that’s the very likely reality it appears.

Reactions: FormerRevMatt
Yes, I'm saying I believe non-B10 refs will call games differently, and I believe Edey will get called for more fouls if he keeps playing as he does now. I'm not talking about Edey on defense, or the fouls he draws on offense. He gets hammered and does and should get fouls called against his defenders. I'm talking about the fouls they don't call on Edey for moving screens, over the back and his fouling defenders while gaining position.

You'd love a "cleaner" game? Doubt it. Last night PU doubled up MN on FTs: 32-16, and fouled out 2 of their starters. And, we already know about the debacle in fouls and FTs vs NW in that second game. I'd guess what you really mean, is you want even fewer fouls called on PU. I wonder how many more L's PU would have if they called a "cleaner game"? NW for sure would be a loss. Things would be very tight vs MN even. Bama? Zona? Marquette? Do you realize how many games PU has a large advantage in fouls and FTs?
They have called Edey the same all year. Big ten, non big ten. So it would be really poor officiating to suddenly change how he’s called after 30 games.

The free throw advantage Purdue carry’s is usually because they draw more fouls due to style of play. You mentioned Bama, so let’s role with it. Bama shot 46 threes and 18 twos. They called 15 fouls on Purdue. That’s not a game script you call fouls on.

Now let’s look at northwestern. They are one of the highest fouling teams in the country. Purdue one of the lowest. Their coach literally said we have 15 fouls to use on Edey and we plan to use them.

There is no rule that says fouls have to be close. If you foul me 5 times and I foul you once. Did you get screwed?

I don’t think refs are conference specific as much as they used to be.

Reactions: papawboog
Slow big men that can't dribble, shoot, or guard anybody don't stick in the NBA. Edey would have gone pro last year if he could play in the NBA. Edey can hang out around the bucket in college, not in the NBA.

The biggest part of Painter's strategy is convincing refs Edey doesn't foul, which is nonsense. Take away the foul disparity, and PU loses a big part of their game.
Edey can’t shoot? Interesting. Prove it. He didn’t go pro because he got paid a ton in NIL to come back and get better. He did. He will continue to get better.

You are correct, Edey probably gets away with a couple fouls a game, but opposing teams get away with fouling him a couple times a game. Evens out. Foul disparity is crap. A foul is a foul. Purdue doesn’t foul as much as some teams.

• Haha
Reactions: HoosierJimbo89

The moving screen complaint is as lame as the 3 seconds one. I swear every big on every team in America sets a moving screen to kick off each possession. 75% of screens are "illegal." You want the refs to treat him more harshly than everyone else. Heck, you want them to call over the back on him even, which is a not a call that even exists in basketball lol

Just to clarify, you initially said something about PU surpassing IU 25 years ago. Someone stated that it's more like ten, which numbers bear out. He mentioned the 2002 finals run which you dismissed as somehow not pertinent to the discussion. 25 years is a ridiculous statement.
Since 2000
PU- 2 elite 8’s, 7 sweet 16’s
16 NCAA tournament appearance
4 BIG championship
2 BIG tournament champs
* not counting this year

IU since 2000
1 final 4
1 elite 8
4 sweet 16
13 NCAA appearances
3 Big championships