ADVERTISEMENT

MSU

Passing yards per game
MSU - 170.5 (12th nationally)
IU - 180.8 (18th nationally)

It's not passing I'm overly concerned about. The rushing is a little skewed considering we've played a triple option but also held Saquon Barkley to 58 yards on 20 carries (2.8ypc). It should be interesting to see how this game unfolds. Is MSU favored? Yeah, its in EL and the press tend to pitch tents when MSU gets one good win. Aside from OSU and PSU, their schedule doesn't really get any stronger either. Should be a better game than what MSU fans tend to think.

This has to be Ewezer. Similarities include:

1. Saying "I'm in your head" and calling other posters "ignorant;"

2. Has to be the smartest guy in the room;

3. Massive inferiority complex;

4. General beligerance in seeking fights with other posters

5. Having to have the last word;

6. Small number of posts;

If he isn't, then it is beyond pathetic that this guy could be mistaken for him. A Sparty 2L about to go to Washington to seek a non-legal job: what a new personality! Nonetheless, this douche is going on ignore.

If someone is just being ignorant, just place them on ignore. It's the easy end to them.

Passing yards per game

It's not passing I'm overly concerned about. The rushing is a little skewed considering we've played a triple option but also held Saquon Barkley to 58 yards on 20 carries (2.8ypc). It should be interesting to see how this game unfolds. Is MSU favored? Yeah, its in EL and the press tend to pitch tents when MSU gets one good win. Aside from OSU and PSU, their schedule doesn't really get any stronger either. Should be a better game than what MSU fans tend to think.

I think that MSU and Mich are very similar teams. Very good defenses (though Michigan's is better) and somewhat bad offenses. S&P ranks Michigan's offense 75 and MSU's 78. MSU's offense does a bit better job moving the chains, but are terrible in the red zone. In that regard, MSU's offense might be a better matchup for IU's defense which does a good job forcing 3 and outs, but struggles once teams get into the red zone.

I think that MSU and Mich are very similar teams. Very good defenses (though Michigan's is better) and somewhat bad offenses. S&P ranks Michigan's offense 75 and MSU's 78. MSU's offense does a bit better job moving the chains, but are terrible in the red zone. In that regard, MSU's offense might be a better matchup for IU's defense which does a good job forcing 3 and outs, but struggles once teams get into the red zone.

Valid information. I guess that last part could be looked at the opposite way from their perspective too. I see IU as very similar to UM and MSU. We have a great D but not as good as those teams. We have a meh offense but better than those teams. That's why I expect the game to be good.

Since we are talking football again and we have some MSU fans here I have some questions.

Offensive line it looks really versatile in terms of blocking scheme. Is it situational when they use zone vs power?

Does MSU typically rush four? I've watched very little but what I have seen doesn't look too exotic. Not a lot of window dressing or stunts/crosses. Did I see correctly?

How do they use their lbs in coverage? And typically how do they defend slants and crossing routes?

I'll try and answer your questions as best I can.

MSU under Dantonio has primarily used a power scheme. It has been his philosophy of having his OL be able to control the line of scrimmage by brute force. As his OL coach Mark Staten has said, "We want maulers." The issue with this, at least this year is that MSU is playing one true freshman, two redshirt freshmen, a true sophomore, and a senior. The senior is the only one who doesn't look like he just stepped off a high school football field and onto a college. MSU's young offensive linemen have not completely filled out or as physically mature as previous OT's. They go 284 (Chewins) and 293 (Campbell). MSU was forced to play a true freshman after the starting guard David Beedle went down with an undisclosed injury. He hasn't suited up the last few games. The true freshman (Jarvis) has played adequately, but at times has been physically overmatched. This has resulted in MSU not being able to run between the tackles with any sustained success. MSU will pull their center/guards, on sweeps, trying to utilize their quickness and athleticism instead of employing brute force against more physically mature DL's.

MSU relies heavily on their front four to collapse the pocket and pressure the QB. Last year they did not get any kind of a push from the DL, and had to employ more blitzing. MSU will still blitz at times, but for the most part the front four has really improved at getting to the QB. On some passing situations MSU will employ a three lineman, four linebacker set. They might drop all four linebackers into coverage, or blitz one or two. One of MSU's young linebackers, Brandon Randle (#26), is listed as a LB/DE. He is a RSF. He has displayed a knack for getting pressure on QB's so far this season. He uses his speed to blow around OT's, otherwise he gets caught up and easily blocked.

MSU's DT's have been very effective at shutting down any inside running lanes. Williams (99), Panasiuk (72), primary starters, and Owens (41), Jones (93), rotation players, are playing at an unexpected/surprising very high level. Their performance has allowed the DE's and LB's to be free to make plays.

Bachie (35), Frey (23), and Andrew Dowell (5) are used heavily in coverage of RB's and TE's. In my estimation Andrew Dowell is the best in coverage, with Bachie being second. Each has recorded an INT, and has several pass breakups. Bachie is a sophomore and has made multiple youthful mistakes, but thankfully he has learned from them and his performance is becoming more steady/consistent.

The MSU secondary is extremely young and inexperienced, with three who are seeing their first playing time. Safety Khari Willis (27) is the lone elder statesman of the group as a junior. His partner is sophomore David Dowell (6), who has played surprisingly beyond his age. The corners are true freshman Josiah Scott (22), and converted WR sophomore Justin Layne (2). Both have had their share of coverage breakdowns, but those breakdowns were not a result of physical limitations, but more a result of communication issues. Scott surprisingly is MSU's best cover corner as a true freshman, but Layne isn't too far off.

MSU has played surprisingly at a much higher level for being such an extremely young team. They are still prone to breakdowns due to inexperience so the staff uses those as teachable moments, and hopefully correct them so that they won't be repeated. Dantonio and his staff have done an admirable job of reestablishing team chemistry within the locker room after the debacle that was 2016. MSU suffered from a great deal of dissension last year, including racial tension. Give credit to Dantonio for making the correct decision to remove many of the players responsible for these issues. It had to be done, even at the detriment of having to field such an inexperienced and young team this year.

Last edited:
#1 nuclear physics dept in the country. #2 MIT. All BIG except latest entries have excellent academics. Including IU.

Latest entries? Rutgers and Maryland?

Don't both those schools rank above MSU and IU?

Nebraska is the only school that isn't a very good academic school in the B1G. But they are still solid.

Latest entries? Rutgers and Maryland?

Don't both those schools rank above MSU and IU?

Nebraska is the only school that isn't a very good academic school in the B1G. But they are still solid.

Some disciplines they do, some they don't.

He doesn't throw it that well. He's just a runner. IU has a really good pass defense so I'm not worried about his arm.

If the weather is nice and dry Saturday, Lewerke will surprise you with how good of a passer he is. People just look at passing stats for MSU--and MSU is a conservative
Passing yards per game

You sold out to stop Barkley and did a good job. But that opened up the rest of the field.

I get it--still a good performance against the best RB in the country. MSU also has big time players at WR that will burn you if you just stuff the box to stop our run.

Felton Davis is easily a top 5 WR in the B1G this year and Stewart is also a nice player at WR. Our passing stats have been skewed a little due to the weather the past few weeks but if you have seen MSU play this year, you know both those guys are good and thatLewerke can sling it a little.

Now, yes--Lewerke is playing like a young QB. He shows flashes of greatness followed up by mistakes. He's probably more of a playmaker type right now at QB than the traditional dropback QBs we normally have. But he's also pretty fast and is a good runner.

If your defense can force a few turnovers you will be right there. MSU went from having 3 turnovers against ND--to zero against Iowa and zero against UM--to having 3 against Minny. We can be all over the place on a game to game basis.

You sold out to stop Barkley and did a good job. But that opened up the rest of the field.

I get it--still a good performance against the best RB in the country. MSU also has big time players at WR that will burn you if you just stuff the box to stop our run.

Felton Davis is easily a top 5 WR in the B1G this year and Stewart is also a nice player at WR. Our passing stats have been skewed a little due to the weather the past few weeks but if you have seen MSU play this year, you know both those guys are good and thatLewerke can sling it a little.

Now, yes--Lewerke is playing like a young QB. He shows flashes of greatness followed up by mistakes. He's probably more of a playmaker type right now at QB than the traditional dropback QBs we normally have. But he's also pretty fast and is a good runner.

If your defense can force a few turnovers you will be right there. MSU went from having 3 turnovers against ND--to zero against Iowa and zero against UM--to having 3 against Minny. We can be all over the place on a game to game basis.

I can understand people thinking that without watching the game but you would be surprised. We held Barkley to 58 yds on 33 carries last year as well. We definitely were a little more aggressive against the run but there's good reason. We have a Sr. first team all american middle linebacker and a Sr. first team all B1G corner. Not too mention the rest of the secondary is pretty stellar. We typically do stack the box for the run because our secondary is good enough to allow us to do that.

Reactions: ESalum86
Passing yards per game

MSU's defensive philosophy is to stop the run first. They have been somewhat successful the past three games against Iowa, Michigan, and Minnesota. Ellison can create enough problems for the Spartan defense, but having a mobile QB like Ramsey just doubles the difficulty. Holding IU to less than 120 yards on the ground would be an accomplishment. Minnesota exposed MSU's pass defense weakness, and Timian and Cobbs could have big days.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT