ADVERTISEMENT

MSU

Won't be easy, but I think this is more winnable than playing Michigan/OSU in Bloomington.

Don't see IU getting blown out, and would agree, think if play well, smart, etc., it's winnable. Why not? We're up there with the good B10 teams. But is time for a Breakthrough now!

Reactions: td75 and MrBing
anyone scouted them?

Strengths/weaknesses
Scheme
Special teams

A lot like today's game against Michigan, only without the other team getting all of the penalties. I think MSU is tougher than, but not quite as physically gifted as, Michigan . . . .

Reactions: Laconic
I think MSU will win something like 34-21. Weather looks good. Everything about our offense is superior to UMs.

This game looks a lot like the Michigan game on paper. They have a good defense, they can run the ball, and their quarterback is turnover prone. We are good enough to win the game, but it can't happen until our defense can take the next step. We will have to stop the run, and force Lewerke to turn it over. Our offense will have to play mistake free again, and make some big plays down the stretch. I like what's brewing in Bloomington.

It will be a tough row to hoe up there. Our game is what started their slide last year. I'm sure they're hoping to make this a statement type of game that they are completely back.

Great opportunity for us! To break through up there while on ABC would be sweet. Let's get it done!

Michigan State's QB is better than Michigan's, for sure. A lot more mobile, too. And while their D is pretty good, it's not to the level of Michigan's. Definitely a winnable game, but we will have to make the plays that we did not make this past weekend. Not sure I have the confidence in the team to do that, and "breakthrough". Sure hope I'm wrong.

This game looks a lot like the Michigan game on paper. They have a good defense, they can run the ball, and their quarterback is turnover prone. We are good enough to win the game, but it can't happen until our defense can take the next step. We will have to stop the run, and force Lewerke to turn it over. Our offense will have to play mistake free again, and make some big plays down the stretch. I like what's brewing in Bloomington.

I think the bottom line is that IU's DL is just not good enough to win these close games against really good teams. There seemed to be a big drop off Saturday when the 2nd unit was in there. These teams know to keep running the ball and the 4th quarter will be theirs. Everyone knew this was likely to be the case this year......Hagen's a good coach but he can't band aid this group into a Big 10 line.......and the big frosh are too soft at this point to help much.

I see the DL being a bigger issue than the OL because we could still win close, low-scoring games if the DL was better.....it's really a waste of some LBs and DBs which are a lot better than we're used to seeing..........

I think the only way IU wins is if MSU has 2-3 TOs and we have none. And even then it would be a nail biter.....I'm not seeing it....I do see it now as a "breakthrough game", but I think we end up the year 0-5 in such games. Hope I'm wrong.

One thing I see missing in our attack is any down field passing. This allows the other defense to put eight in the box and it's hard to run against hat. The few times Ramsey does try he lobs it up there allowing time for the dbs to recover. I think bringing Lagow in for a few series and go deep would help loosen up the defense. And for crying out loud throw it to Ian Thomas 5 + times a game.

Reactions: 76-1
Notre Dame dominated them in all facets of the game. They're not overly impressive. At this point OSU, PSU, and Wisconsin have clearly separated themselves from the 2nd tier of UM and MSU. No reason we can't compete with MSU.

Reactions: SBendguy
I think the bottom line is that IU's DL is just not good enough to win these close games against really good teams. There seemed to be a big drop off Saturday when the 2nd unit was in there. These teams know to keep running the ball and the 4th quarter will be theirs. Everyone knew this was likely to be the case this year......Hagen's a good coach but he can't band aid this group into a Big 10 line.......and the big frosh are too soft at this point to help much.

I see the DL being a bigger issue than the OL because we could still win close, low-scoring games if the DL was better.....it's really a waste of some LBs and DBs which are a lot better than we're used to seeing..........

I think the only way IU wins is if MSU has 2-3 TOs and we have none. And even then it would be a nail biter.....I'm not seeing it....I do see it now as a "breakthrough game", but I think we end up the year 0-5 in such games. Hope I'm wrong.
I tend to agree with your take on the D line. They are able to collapse the pocket and force the quarterback to move, but they haven't been able to get sacks or deflect throws. Our first string has been adequate at best at fitting the run. MSU will run a lot of loaded toss, and weak side power. Our defensive line will be tested.

Ultimately our season will be judged on our record against Maryland, Rutgers, Illinois, and Purdue. If we go 4-0 then I'll be out there tearing down the field goal post.

One thing I see missing in our attack is any down field passing. This allows the other defense to put eight in the box and it's hard to run against hat. The few times Ramsey does try he lobs it up there allowing time for the dbs to recover. I think bringing Lagow in for a few series and go deep would help loosen up the defense. And for crying out loud throw it to Ian Thomas 5 + times a game.

The problem with Thomas at least this game, was that he was needed to help block to give Ramsey any shot at throwing the ball more than 5 yards downfield

Reactions: muubell
Notre Dame dominated them in all facets of the game. They're not overly impressive. At this point OSU, PSU, and Wisconsin have clearly separated themselves from the 2nd tier of UM and MSU. No reason we can't compete with MSU.
I'm not convinced that Wisconsin is in the top tier. They are 6-0 against teams without winning records.

59-10 vs Utah State (now 3-4)
31-14 vs FAU (now 3-3)
40-6 at BYU (now 1-6)
33-24 vs Northwestern (now 3-3)
38-17 at Nebraska (now 3-4)
17-9 vs Purdue (now 3-3)

Reactions: Tokyo Steve
I do agree that is probably the biggest reason they didn't throw to Thomas but they are going to have to remedy that situation.

Neither is your football program :(

Ahh, last year still stings eh? :(

indiana-trick-play-against-michigan-state.gif

5ea10dbc409cbdcdcea150132bcc4325

USATSI_9583664_168381178_lowres-2.jpg

Last edited:
Your offense is nothing to write home about.

MSU's offense is not great but we've played the last two weeks in horrid / rainy weather, which has really limited our playbook. Our running game finally got going at Minnesota, which should help in better conditions. Lewerke is a capable QB but is still a RS Sophomore and makes some decisions that show his youth.

This is not accurate. The final score was ugly but MSU had 3 first half turnovers and ND made MSU pay in full for each of them...so credit ND for that. If MSU plays a clean game, which they did against UM and Iowa, it would have been much closer:

1) Pick 6
2) Lewerke fumbles on MSU 25 in one of the most idiotic fashions i've ever seen
3) LJ Scott fumbles on ND 1/2 yardline as he is about to make it 21-14

Box Score Stats

Total Yards = MSU 496, ND 355
1st Downs = MSU 26, ND 21
Rushing = MSU 151, ND 182
Passing = MSU 345, ND 173
TOP = MSU 34:03, ND 25:57
Turnovers = MSU 3, ND 0

This is not accurate. The final score was ugly but MSU had 3 first half turnovers and ND made MSU pay in full for each of them...so credit ND for that. If MSU plays a clean game, which they did against UM and Iowa, it would have been much closer:

1) Pick 6
2) Lewerke fumbles on MSU 25 in one of the most idiotic fashions i've ever seen
3) LJ Scott fumbles on ND 1/2 yardline as he is about to make it 21-14

Box Score Stats

Total Yards = MSU 496, ND 355
1st Downs = MSU 26, ND 21
Rushing = MSU 151, ND 182
Passing = MSU 345, ND 173
TOP = MSU 34:03, ND 25:57
Turnovers = MSU 3, ND 0

Oh snap! I didn't know we didn't need to consider turnovers as part of losing! We might've had the greatest team of all time last year........

Oh snap! I didn't know we didn't need to consider turnovers as part of losing! We might've had the greatest team of all time last year........

I'm not making excuses, just saying that "dominated in all facets of the game" as stated by your fellow home boarder is a massive overstatement.

Reactions: clevta
I'm not making excuses, just saying that "dominated in all facets of the game" as stated by your fellow home boarder is a massive overstatement.

I'm just picking on ya. It'll be a tough to go up there and get a win but aside from Happy Valley, we have played pretty well on the road the last couple of years (see ACC leader Virginia's 1 loss this year). It just depends upon which team shows up.

Ahh, last year still stings eh? :(

indiana-trick-play-against-michigan-state.gif

5ea10dbc409cbdcdcea150132bcc4325

USATSI_9583664_168381178_lowres-2.jpg

Congrats. Gotta savor every moment in a series you trail 16-45, I'd imagine. Beating Indiana is just something to expect every year for MSU. It should be a free W. When it isn't, like last year, there's 3-9 reasons why that result didn't turn out per usual.

Congrats. Gotta savor every moment in a series you trail 16-45, I'd imagine. Beating Indiana is just something to expect every year for MSU. It should be a free W. When it isn't, like last year, there's 3-9 reasons why that result didn't turn out per usual.

You could've just said, "yes, it still stings." No need to cry about it.

Reactions: MSUBarrington1

Well we will take the next 20 in a row then and you can come back and tell us how you still lead the series....all that matters is the last one and the one about to be played.

Reactions: td75
You could've just said, "yes, it still stings." No need to cry about it.

I don't even remember that game, to be honest. We lost to Illinois, Maryland, BYU, Northwestern... It wasn't like you performed some miraculous upset and kept us from making the playoffs. We lost a lot of games, and I drank a lot of alcohol to cope with us losing a lot of games.

I also know there's a trophy involved with this "rivalry", but MSU doesn't really care. No MSU student is waking up this week and saying, "Boy, I can't wait for the game for the Old Brass Spittoon! I really hate Indiana!" This is a far bigger game for you than it is to us. It's just another game and excuse to tailgate. I would say that I was way more excited about the Minnesota game than I am for this one, but the only reason that would be a lie is because it's a home game, and a W this week makes us bowl eligible. It has nothing to do with the opponent, though. My younger twin brothers are seniors at IU, and I still don't care enough to talk trash like I would about a team like Michigan or Ohio State.

I don't even remember that game, to be honest. We lost to Illinois, Maryland, BYU, Northwestern... It wasn't like you performed some miraculous upset and kept us from making the playoffs. We lost a lot of games, and I drank a lot of alcohol to cope with us losing a lot of games.

I also know there's a trophy involved with this "rivalry", but MSU doesn't really care. No MSU student is waking up this week and saying, "Boy, I can't wait for the game for the Old Brass Spittoon! I really hate Indiana!" This is a far bigger game for you than it is to us. It's just another game and excuse to tailgate. I would say that I was way more excited about the Minnesota game than I am for this one, but the only reason that would be a lie is because it's a home game, and a W this week makes us bowl eligible. It has nothing to do with the opponent, though. My younger twin brothers are seniors at IU, and I still don't care enough to talk trash like I would about a team like Michigan or Ohio State.

But you care enough to come to an IU message board and talk smack....cool story

My younger twin brothers are seniors at IU, and I still don't care enough to talk trash like I would about a team like Michigan or Ohio State.
Neither is your football program :(
Yet here you are talking trash. Don't give us your bullsh!t. This is also a breather for us after the schedule we have played and a complete trap game for you! If you lose this game it could easily be a 4 game skid for you.

But you care enough to come to an IU message board and talk smack....cool story

I peruse every opposing team's boards to see what's going on before any game involving Florida or Michigan State, so don't flatter yourself. Your 247 board sucks, and no other forum seems to give a lick about football, so voila--Rivals it is. I even registered just to give that response, and I wouldn't have if the guy hadn't said something as hilariously baitable as that. I don't even think I've "talked smack" either. Indiana football is rather irrelevant, and nothing I've said is irrational. Mondays are 8-8 in the classroom for me, and a guy's gotta keep himself busy somehow. Beats paying attention in Trust and Estates

Yet here you are talking trash. Don't give us your bullsh!t. This is also a breather for us after the schedule we have played and a complete trap game for you! If you lose this game it could easily be a 4 game skid for you.

If you consider anything I say "talking trash," y'all must be made of the thinnest of skins. I'm so glad a road game at MSU is a breather for you. That's awesome! Considering you couldn't beat Michigan at home, it clearly makes sense why a road game at a team who beat them would make you feel that way. Makes perfect sense

If you consider anything I say "talking trash," y'all must be made of the thinnest of skins. I'm so glad a road game at MSU is a breather for you. That's awesome! Considering you couldn't beat Michigan at home, it clearly makes sense why a road game at a team who beat them would make you feel that way. Makes perfect sense
This has to be ewezer... says sh!t...says he doesn't...then makes a delusional narcissist comment from his trusts and estates office...Hahaha

I would never consider a road game against a ranked opponent a breather. It's going to be a tall order to go up there and win.

I don't even remember that game, to be honest. We lost to Illinois, Maryland, BYU, Northwestern... It wasn't like you performed some miraculous upset and kept us from making the playoffs
Indiana football is rather irrelevant, and nothing I've said is irrational. Mondays are 8-8 in the classroom for me, and a guy's gotta keep himself busy somehow. Beats paying attention in Trust and Estates
I'm sure you remember the IU game but, in the unlikely event that you don't, let me refresh your recollection.

You guys were 2-1 and ranked 16th in the country coming into Bloomington. You lost to us in OT and immediately went into a death spiral, getting just one more win (against Rutgers) the rest of the way.

Get back to Trust and Estates. But I get the sense Torts is more your speed. Go chase some ambulances.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT