ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland @ IU, Game 2: UMD thumps IU again, 16-2...

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
I was unaware they moved this game up, so I'm starting this post in the 4th.

IU gave up a run in the 1st after a single and a double that also included an error in LF as the Terps took a 1-0 lead to start the game. IU went down in order in the 1st.

In the 2nd inning, a double and single scored another run to make it 2-0 Terps. IU got a leadoff single by Tibbitts, Mathison was hit by a pitch to move Tibbitts to 2nd and Pyne singled to score Tibbitts to make it 2-1 Terps.

In the 3rd Inning, neither team was able to score although Whalen reached on a two-out double in the inning.

In the 4th, Maryland scored two runs after Sinnard gave up a leadoff single and then a homer by Shliger gave the Terps a 4-1 lead. IU went down in order in finish the 4th.

5th Inning:

T5th:

The bottom of the order was up for the Terps and Sinnard put them down in order.

B5th:

It's the bottom of the order for IU with Cerny up. LHP Kyle McCoy for the Terps didn't have great numbers coming into this game but he has handcuffed IU hitters for the most part so far and this game is looking a lot like yesterday's game as far as IU's hitting goes.

Cerny and Jessee both grounded out to lead off. Serruto walked to put a runner on with two outs.

With the top of the order up, Glasser reached on an infield hit to put runners on 1st and 2nd and two outs.

A passed ball moved both runners to 2nd and 3rd with Whalen up.

Whalen walked to load the bases with Taylor up and two outs.

Taylor was called out on a close play at 1st on a slow roller to end the inning and IU missed out on a big scoring chance in this inning.

UMD 4 IU 1

When are you guys going to admit we have a horrible manager when it comes to playing good teams? You can laugh at me all you want but the reality is as soon as we play good teams suddenly the bats go dead against struggling pitching and the in game decisions are brain dead.

Team may very well hold on to a postseason spot on talent alone but when will you guys going to stop making fun of me and realize this cannot be a long term thing. He is an excellent recruiter and I have admitted that but you cannot win at a solid level with a guy who is a bad in-game manager and develops talent poorly. That is the only explanation for these dying of the bats in high pressure situations.

I am offering a truced that I will go away for good if you guys admit that you are extremely concerned for the future of the program given the way Mercer manages. I expect it to be serious and well thought out, but the offer is there that I will not post anymore if you guys stop making fun of me and can admit it is a serious concern for the future of the program with the way things are currently managed.

6th Inning:

T6th:

With the top of the order up, Sinnard walked the leadoff hitter on a four pitches.

Sinnard then gave up a two-run homer to Shaw for his 17th homer of the season and it's 6-1 UMD.

Sinnard got a K and GO for two outs. A double put a runner in scoring position, but a flyout retired the side.

B6th:

It's the 4-6 hitters up with Tibbitts leading off and IU goes down in order on two GOs and a foul out.

UMD 6 IU 1

Oh and another decision a normal manager would not make throwing a high leverage arm when you are in such a huge hole today to at least salvage the finale. Look at the full facts. It is one issue after another with Mercer.

7th Inning:

T7th:

RHP Ethan Phillips relieved Sinnard and he has an ERA of 1.74 in 20.2 IP, and he faced the bottom of the order.

Phillips put them down in order to include two Ks.

B7th:

It's the bottom of the order up with Cerny leading off.

Cerny K'd to lead off.

Jessee singled to put a runner on with Serruto up. Serruto made good contact but it was a lineout to LF for the 2nd out with Jessee still at 1st.

Glasser grounded out to end the inning.

Both starting Maryland pitchers in this series have gone at least 7 IPs.

UMD 6 IU 1

Sad to say we may have just played are way out of a number one seed this weekend. Hope we can shake this weekend off and not let us go into the pooper for the rest of the year!

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Anyone ready to admit I was right yet? You go into the biggest series of your tenure and this is how your team performs?

That only happens if you have a not great manager who can’t prepare his team. My offer stands but no one is taking it.

8th Inning:

T8th:

It's the top of the order up and the leadoff man in Shliger hit a double down the LF line.

In a close play at 3rd, Shliger stole 3rd. Replay on it showed that he was out on a close play but the B1G doesn't have a review.

The next batter walked, and Phillips then threw the ball away on a pickoff attempt at 1st for IU 2nd error of the game with the runner reaching 2nd, and the runner on 3rd scoring.

A balk on Phillips moved the runner to 3rd with no outs and a single scored the runner on 3rd to make it 8-1.

Phillips then hit a batter to put runners on 1st and 2nd. Another single loaded the bases with no outs and IU is looking at a 2nd blowout loss in a row.

Phillips then gave up a GS to make it 12-1 and IU looks totally lost in this series from both a hitting and pitching perspective.

Another single finally chases Phillips with still no outs in the inning. RHP Gabe Levy entered the game with an ERA of 9.22 in 13.2 IP.

Levy gave up a single to the first batter faced to put runners on 1st and 2nd with no outs.

A double then scored two more runs with a runner on 2nd and no outs.

A GO sent the runner to 3rd with one out. A K resulted in the 2nd out with runner on still on 3rd.

A WP scored another run. A GO finally retired the side.

B8th:

It's the 2-4 hitters up for IU and Maryland finally goes to the bullpen and brought in RHP Ryan Van Buren with an ERA of 7.65 in 20.1 IP and IU went down in order as they continue to not make good contact with the ball.

UMD 15 IU 1

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: dr.jb
9th Inning:

T9th:

RHP Luke Hayden came in with an ERA of 11.17 in 12.2 IP.

It's the 4-6 hitters up and the leadoff hitter hit a solo homer.

Hayden then got a K and a flyout for two outs, but then gave up a single and a double to put runners on 2nd and 3rd. Another K retired the side.

B9th:

Maryland brought in LHP Andrew Johnson with an ERA of 8.44 in 12.2 IP.

Mathison homered to lead off and Pyne singled to put a runner on.

Cerny then walked to put runners on 1st and 2nd and Maryland goes to the bullpen again bringing in LHP Logan Ott and he got a GO with runners moving to 2nd and 3rd. A K and a foul out ended the game.

UMD 16 IU 2 (Final)

Maryland came into this series motivated to prove they are still the regular season dominant team in the B1G and they have now won 20 straight B1G series after today's win and last lost a series in April 2021.

This season they have won series against Iowa, Rutgers, OSU, and Purdue, but those teams have managed to at least win one game against the Terps. In the four losses to those teams, the Terps gave up 12, 14, 13 and 10 runs, respectively, so hopefully, IU can turn things around at the plate tomorrow and not be the first team to get swept by them this season in the B1G. A win would pull IU back into a tie for first.

Going into this series, the most runs the Terps have scored in a B1G game this season have been 10 runs (twice), but they scored 13 runs in the first game and 16 runs today.

IU knew that the Terps were going to score runs, but they came in as the 12th ranked pitching staff in the B1G and you would think that IU could keep pace with the Terps in hitting, but the first two starting pitchers for the Terps have gone 7 IP against us, pretty much handcuffing the hitters.

The Terps outhit IU 20 to 7 and they were 20 of 46 for a team batting average of .435, while IU was 7 of 33 for .212.

Only Pyne had a multi-game and here are a couple of hitting stats:

Pyne: 2 for 4 with a RBI.

Mathison: 1 for 3 with a homer for a RBI and run scored.

IU had two errors on the game while the Terps had no errors.

IU used four pitchers today and none were effective. Here are their numbers:

Sinnard: 6.0 IP, 10 hits to include 3 doubles and 2 homers, 6 runs all earned, 4 Ks, 4 BBs, and a hit batter.
Phillips: 1.0 IP, 5 hits to include a double and a homer, 7 runs all earned, 2 Ks, 1 BB, a balk and a hit batter.
Levy: 1.0 IP, 2 hits to include a double, 2 runs all earned, 1 K, no BBs, and 1 WP.
Hayden: 1.0 IP, 3 hits to include a double and a homer, 1 earned run, 2 Ks, and no BBs.

Last edited:
I am so not shocked. Softball almost played their way out of the tournament. They have no history of making the postseason. Shonda Stanton has been a godsend though and they just won a series at Michigan for likely the first time in program history to all but lock up a spot in the NCAA Tourney for the first time in 12 years. Hoosiers found another gem there and they better lock her up. For those who think I hate IU coaches I think most of them have done a great job. What Stanton, Teri Moren, and even Woodson have done has been quite good and taken programs to a far better place then they found them.

Mercer on the other hand took a team coming off seven years of success and has made it much worse. He used Lemonis' players to win a Big Ten Title and has since taken the program and gotten worse.

They may hold on to the NCAA Tournament. However, I trusted Stanton fully to get this season back on track and she just got the program playing their best in absolutely the biggest moment of the season. Mercer's team on the other hand I have zero trust they don't collapse out of postseason like in 2021. Hoping the best. Fearing the worst.

Softball played their absolute best in the biggest moment of the season. Baseball plays at their absolute worst at same time in their biggest weekend so far. Tells you all you need to know about each coach.

Michigan State took two from Northwestern today to pull even with IU in the standings. With a win by IU tomorrow and MSU finishing the sweep of a really bad NW team, there could be a three-way tie for first after tomorrow. That's all predicated on IU being able to find their hitting stroke tomorrow which is a keen sense of the obvious.

Glad I drove an hour and a half there to watch that debacle, and an hour and a half back home. A total embarrassment, especially since not one of their pitchers had less than a 5 ERA going into the game.

Glad I drove an hour and a half there to watch that debacle, and an hour and a half back home. A total embarrassment, especially since not one of their pitchers had less than a 5 ERA going into the game.
Yeah, the starting pitching for my Terrapins has fallen off significantly since last year.

Good luck tomorrow. If it's any consolation, the Terps have repeatedly failed to get the sweep this year. I think your team is too good to get swept...

Hey I have tried to tell you all season Mercer is not a good manager and been laughed at. Maybe listen to me. There is a reason a team dos not show up in their biggest games and it starts at the top.

Both starting pitchers in the series probably had their best games of the season or at least in conference play, and they were definitely better in the two games than what their stats indicated going into the games. IU hitters could not make good contact except on rare occasions, and you can take it to the bank that the entire Terps team seemed highly motivated for this series. It's been like batting practice for the Terps in both games.

Both starting pitchers in the series probably had their best games of the season or at least in conference play, and they were definitely better in the two games than what their stats indicated going into the games. IU hitters could not make good contact except on rare occasions, and you can take it to the bank that the entire Terps team seemed highly motivated for this series. It's been like batting practice for the Terps in both games.
If it were isolated to this weekend I understand but it has been a CONSTANT in Mercer's tenure that struggling pitchers have career games against IU. At this point it is an issue that he is not correcting and he is a hitting guy.

We messed up this hire big time and can win somewhat on talent but Mercer is absolutely the worst coach this department has brought in outside of Archie Miller in a long time.

The man can recruit and it is why the team has talent and can win in spite of him. His ability to teach hitters fundamentals at the plate is absolutely terrible and it is why so MANY PITCHERS THROW CAREER GAMES AGAINST IU. He also is not the greatest decision maker within a game

I have been laughed at all year for getting on his case but there is a good reason for that. I am not a guy who hates on IU coaches (and as I said early in this thread Shonda Stanton has done a wonderful job on the other side) unless it is absolutely necessary.

In this case Glass really screwed up this hire after two good ones in a row had been made. Should have been in the tourney in 2021 if his hitters had not collapsed down the stretch and that SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN TO A GUY WHO TEACHES HITTING. Let's see if Mercer doesn't let his second team in three years collapse out of postseason late. If he does it is time for a change unless you want a completely empty stadium going forward and make the ten year run prior to him a fluke.

Yeah, the starting pitching for my Terrapins has fallen off significantly since last year.

Good luck tomorrow. If it's any consolation, the Terps have repeatedly failed to get the sweep this year. I think your team is too good to get swept...
Idk how you can say that, that we are too good at anything. Being outscored in 2 games, 29-4.....we could win by 10 tomorrow and it won't make up for it, imo.

Reactions: Im4iu89
Is it their best game, or our worst? I guess it just depends on your perspective. I'm a numbers guy, so that's what I look at. And to give them props for being motivated.....if that's the case, then why were we not motivated? But it was batting practice for them, absolutely. That's exactly what I said to my daughter.

Is it their best game, or our worst? I guess it just depends on your perspective. I'm a numbers guy, so that's what I look at. And to give them props for being motivated.....if that's the case, then why were we not motivated? But it was batting practice for them, absolutely. That's exactly what I said to my daughter.
Yeah, I see where you are coming from on that. Our hitters were not making good contact with the ball in both games and we hit a ton of weak grounders in both games. I really don't know, but I would have to say their pitchers probably had their best or one of the best starts of the season. I just don't know.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT