ADVERTISEMENT

IU @ Maryland, Game 2: IU dominates in taking the series with a 14-2 win...

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
RHP Connor Foley was on the mound for IU with an ERA of 3.75 in 36.0 IP and a WHIP of 1.17 with an OBA of .152. The lineup is the same as yesterday.

RHP Logan Koester was on the mound for the Terps with an ERA of 4.54 in 37.2 IP and a WHIP of 1.27 with an OBA of .240.

It's cloudy and 52 degrees with a 15 mph wind.

1st inning:

T1st:

Mathison singled to start the game. A FC got Mathison at 2nd with Oliver reaching and one out.

A single by Taylor put runners on the corners and one out.

Cerny Kd for the 2nd out.

Mitchell clubbed a three-run homer to give IU the early lead of 3-0 and that was with the wind blowing in.

Brenczewski was hit by a pitch to put a runner on with two outs.

The Terps starter was nearing 30 pitches in the inning with Stadler up.

Stadler walked on a full count to put runners on 1st and 2nd and two outs.

A groundout retired the side with the Terps starter nearing 40 pitches in the 1st.

B1st:

Foley Kd the leadoff hitter. The next batter walked on a full count.

Foley then got another K for two outs and the runner still at 1st. Foley Kd the next batter and he got all three outs on strikeouts sandwiched around the walk.

End of 1st: IU 3 Terps 0

Last edited:
2nd inning:

T2nd:

It was the 9 thru 2 batters up with Wiggins leading off. A hard-hit grounder got Wiggins for the first out and we were at the top of the order in Mathison.

Mathison flied out on a diving catch in LF for two outs.

Oliver Kd swinging to retire the side. It was an efficient inning for the Terps pitcher, and his PC is 43.

B2nd:

Foley faced the 5 thru 7 hitters. Foley got the leadoff hitter on a flyout. A groundout got the 2nd out. A K ended the inning and it was an efficient inning for Foley.

End of 2nd: IU 3 Terps 0

3rd inning:

T3rd:

It was the 3 thru 5 hitters up for IU with Taylor leading off. Taylor grounded out for the first out.

Cerny reached on an infield single with one out.

Mitchell flied out to the warning track with Cerny taking 2nd and two outs.

Brenczewski doubled to LF to score Cerny to make it 4-0 IU with two outs.

Stadler walked on four pitches to put runners on 1st and 2nd and two outs with Pyne up.

Pyne singled to score Brenczewski to make it 5-0 IU with two outs and runners on the corners and Wiggins up.

Wiggins Kd to retire the side. The Terps starter is at 69 pitches.

B3rd:

Foley faced the 8 thru 1 hitters. A groundout got the first out. Foley then hit a batter to put a runner on with one out, and the top of the order was up.

A foul out to Taylor resulted in the 2nd out with the runner still at 1st. Another K by Foley ended the inning.

End of 3rd: IU 5 Terps 0

Last edited:
4th inning:

T4th:

It was the top of the order up for IU with Mathison leading off.

Mathison Kd swinging for the first out. Oliver grounded out for the 2nd out. Taylor grounded out to retire the side.

B4th:

Foley faced the 3 thru 5 hitters and his PC was 49. Foley hit the leadoff batter.

Foley had yet to give up a hit in the game, but he had put three on with two hit batters and a walk.

Foley got a K for the first out and the runner still at 1st. A WP moved the runner to 2nd.

Taylor caught a fly at the wall for the 2nd out with the runner taking 3rd.

A slow roller infield single put runners on the corners with two outs. The little dribbler was the Terps first hit of the game. Foley then got a K to end the inning, but the Terps made Foley work for the three outs in this inning.

End of 4th: IU 5 Terps 0

Last edited:
Reactions: TomEric4756
5th inning:

T5th:

It was the 4 thru 6 hitters up with Cerny leading off. The Terps starter was at 85 pitches to start the inning.

Cerny flied out to the warning track for the first out. Mitchell walked on a full count to put a runner on with one out.

Brenczewski singled to put runners on the corners with one out and Stadler up.

That chased the starter and the Terps went to the bullpen to bring in LHP Andrew Johnson with an ERA of 2.45 in 11.0 IP.

Stadler got his third walk of the game on a 3-1 count to load the bases with one out and Pyne up.

A groundout scored Mitchell to make it 6-0 with two outs and runners at the corners.

I don't get it, but for the 2nd straight game, Mercer was pinch hitting Sefcik who is 1 for 24 on the season for Wiggins. Sefcik Kd looking to retire the side.

B5th:

It was the 8 thru 1 hitters up with Foley's PC at 71. Foley walked the leadoff hitter on a 3-1 count.

A K got the first out with the runner still at 1st.

Foley got a flyout for the 2nd out and the runner still at 1st. A groundout ended the inning.

End of 5th: IU 6 Terps 0

Last edited:
6th inning:

T6th:

It was the top of the order up with Mathison leading off. Mathison walked on a full count.

Mathison stole 2nd. Oliver Kd for the 1st out. A WP moved Mathison to 3rd and one out.

Taylor walked to put runners on the corners and one out.

Cerny hit a two-run double to make it 8-0 IU with one out and a runner at 2nd.

A WP moved Cerny to 3rd and one out. Mitchell walked on a 3-1 count to put runners on the corners and still one out.

The Terps went to the bullpen again to bring in RHP Alex Walsh with an ERA of 4.05 in 12.0 IP, and he would face a hot hitting Brenczewski.

Mitchell stole 2nd and Brenczewski walked to load the bases with one out and Stadler up.

Stadler's hit a hard grounder to SS which went off the short's foot for an error which scored two runs. Runners were on 1st and 2nd and one out.

Pyne hit a three-run homer to LF to make it 13-0 and still one out with the bases empty.

Bode came in to pinch hit for Sefcik and he hit a hard-hit grounder for the 2nd out.

Mathison popped up to retire the side.

B6th:

Foley's PC was at 91 and he faced the 3 thru 5 hitters. Tonghini was warming up in the bullpen.

Foley got the leadoff hitter on a K. A groundout got the 2nd out. Foley walked the next batter on a full count. Foley was at 111 pitches. Foley got a K to end the inning and his day was over.

End of 6th: IU 13 Terps 0

Last edited:
Reactions: TomEric4756
7th inning:

T7th:

It was the 2 thru 4 hitters up with Oliver leading off. Oliver walked on a 3-1 count to lead off.

Taylor Kd for the first out. Back-to-back FCs retired the side.

B7th:

RHP Julian Tonghini replaced Foley and he had an ERA of 4.76 in 17.0 IP and he faced the bottom of the order.

Tonghini walked the leadoff batter on a full count. Tonghini got a flyout with the runner still at 1st.

A K resulted in the 2nd out with the runner still at 1st and the Terps were at the top of the order. A groundout ended the inning.

End of 7th: IU 13 Terps 0

Last edited:
8th inning:

T8th:

It was the 6 thru 8 hitters up with Brenczewski leading off. The Terps went to the bullpen and brought in RHP Meade Johnson with an ERA of 11.17 in 9.2 IP.

Brenczewski grounded out for the first out. Stadler popped out for the 2nd out.

Pyne doubled off the RF wall to put a runner in scoring position and two outs.

Bode walked on a 3-1 count to put runners on 1st and 2nd with two outs.

Mathison doubled to LF to score Pyne to make it 14-0 with runners at 2nd and 3rd and two outs.

Oliver walked on a full count to load the bases with Taylor up and two outs.

Taylor grounded out to retire the side.

B8th:

RHP Seti Manase came in for Tonghini and he had an ERA of 15.95 in 7.0 IP, and he faced the 2 thru 4 hitters. The leadoff batter reached on a single.

Another single put runners on 1st and 2nd and no outs with the Terps finding the holes in the infield so far in this inning. A groundout moved the runners to 2nd and 3rd.

A WP scored the runner from 3rd with the runner on 2nd taking 3rd.

A groundout scored the runner from 3rd to make it 14-2 with two outs. Manase got a K to end the inning.

End of 8th: IU 14 Terps 2

Last edited:
9th inning:

T9th:

It's the middle of the order up for IU with Cerny leading off. IU went down in order.

B9th:

Manase was back out there to face the bottom of the order. Manase gave up a single to the leadoff hitter. A groundout got the first out with the runner taking 2nd. Manase then got a K for the 2nd out with the top of the order up. A groundout ended the game.

Final: IU 14 Maryland 2

Last edited:
IU won the series with today's win and will go for the sweep tomorrow at 12 noon ET. It was another solid all-around effort with Foley handcuffing hitters for six innings.

IU had another errorless day while the Terps had one error.

IU outhit the Terps 11 to 4 and IU was 11 for 39 for a team average of .282, while the Terps were 4 for 31 for .129. Six of IU's 11 hits were for extra bases to include four doubles and two homers. Four players had multiple hits on the game.

Pyne - 3 for 5 with a double and homer and 5 RBIs.

Cerny - 2 for 6 with a double and 2 RBIs.

Brewczewski - 2 for 4 with a double and 1 RBI.

Mathison 2 for 5 with a double and 1 RBI.

Mitchell - 1 for 4 with a three-run homer.

Pitching was again solid with Foley giving up just one hit over six innings and that hit was a little dribbler on the infield that no one could get to in time.

Foley - 6.0 IP, 1 hit and no earned runs, 10 Ks, 3 BBs, 1 WP, and 2 hit batters.

Tonghini - 1.0 IP, no hits and no earned runs, 1 K, and 1 BB with the rest of his slate clean.

Manase - 2.0 IP, 3 hits and 2 earned runs, 2 Ks, no BBs. and 1 WP.

Reactions: Epictetus and ekk
I feel fortunate for being able to see both games (live in dc area). I hope I’m not a good luck charm for them as I can’t make tomorrow’s game

I feel fortunate for being able to see both games (live in dc area). I hope I’m not a good luck charm for them as I can’t make tomorrow’s game
I had a bad feeling going into the week with a game with Indiana State and then the road series at Maryland, but this has looked like a totally different team with everything clicking together at the same time. I would have never thought we could get three straight blowout wins starting with the ISU game, but wonders do happen. Bothwell has had two straight good starts after going 8 innings against Butler and 6 innings yesterday in the blowout win. We damaged our resume with some poor play going into the conference season, but maybe we can make enough noise the rest of the way to possibly extend our season after conference play is over with. We can hope, can't we?

Connor Foley turns 21 on the first day of this year's MLB draft which makes him a soph-eligible player for the 2024 draft, so this may be his last season with IU. At least, that is my understanding.

Last edited:
I had a bad feeling going into the week with a game with Indiana State and then the road series at Maryland, but this has looked like a totally different team with everything clicking together at the same time. I would have never thought we could get three straight blowout wins starting with the ISU game, but wonders do happen. Bothwell has had two straight good starts after going 8 innings against Butler and 6 innings yesterday in the blowout win. We damaged our resume with some poor play going into the conference season, but maybe we can make enough noise the rest of the way to possibly extend our season after conference play is over with. We can hope, can't we?

Connor Foley turns 21 on the first day of this year's MLB draft which makes him a soph-eligible player for the 2024 draft, so this may be his last season with IU. At least, that is my understanding.
I think Connor is draft eligible BUT Sinnard should be back 😀

I think Connor is draft eligible BUT Sinnard should be back 😀
Agree on Sinnard. Although he is draft eligible, he would want to show the scouts that he is healthy again before the 2025 draft.

Last edited:
Other scores from today's B1G action with all games final.

G1: Illinois 7 Minn 4 G2: Minn 8 Illinois 3

Neb 7 OSU 3

PSU 12 NW 7

Purdue 8 Rutgers 6

G1: Michigan 4 Iowa 3 G2: Michigan 10 Iowa 6

MSU 7 Niagara 6

Iowa's top two pitchers had rough days today, but neither took the loss. In a no decision, Brody Brecht went 5.1 IP while giving up 5 earned runs while throwing 109 pitches before he was pulled in the 10-6 Michigan win. Marcus Morgan lasted just 2.2 IP in the first game before being pulled and he had control issues. His relievers made it close in the 4-3 loss.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT