ADVERTISEMENT

Maine Mass shooting: 18 dead so far and 60+ shot

You've brought up Heller a few times, so I dug into it a little. Now, granted, it is from Wikipedia, but you know, those pesky footnotes leading to sources do give it some credence, many of which are from the court findings.

I bolded that last part to make it easier to see.

I skipped over the history of the case working its way through the courts to Post Ruling Impacts (if you're following from home)

So we have various examples of certain types of firearms being restricted, banned even. Now that we know it can still be done, how best to address what's going without dudes like you talking down to ideas being passed around on a message board.

We don't need a 52 state/district solution. We clearly have that now. Guess what, it's not working. It's not working in the suburbs where schools, shopping malls and etc are being shot up by white dudes with "mental illness", and it's not working in the streets where black dudes are criminals.

The white dude/2A guys sure do like their mental illness trope.

We need a federal solution. It's bad enough we have federal politicians without the will to act. We don't need to leave it up to the local yokel, state rep who has no intentions of thinking beyond his own wants.

The 2A clearly doesn't stop government entities from legislating assault weapons bans.
No it doesn’t stop regulation. But it’s just complicated and probably too much for the nature of this board when you consider 2A challenges equal protection challenges etc. maybe a state says the danger of the weapon and desire to regulate same outweigh right to purchase so sales stop. That doesn’t do anything for the 20 million in circulation. Taking them from owners is a different calculus

Reactions: Hoopsdoc1978
You can keep it, but I'd like to see legislation that ceased production of its ammunition for consumers.

Make those rounds count.
I mean, at least you’re honest with your authoritarian tendencies. I’ll give you that.

Your knowledge of the issue wouldn’t fill a thimble, as has been richly evident in this thread, but that hasn’t stopped you.

Now you want to outlaw 12 gauge shotgun ammo. 😂

It’s not worth discussing this issue with you.

No it doesn’t stop regulation. But it’s just complicated and probably too much for the nature of this board when you consider 2A challenges equal protection challenges etc. maybe a state says the danger of the weapon and desire to regulate same outweigh right to purchase so sales stop. That doesn’t do anything for the 20 million in circulation. Taking them from owners is a different calculus
Bro, he read a Wikipedia article.

And I'd make that illegal.

I would say laws don't have to apply inside the range, but if someone needs to burst off more than 4 or 5 rounds at a time, it's likely they have compensation issues. I believe in cathartic activities though.
I’m sure they would not care if it is illegal, they would never get caught unless it was used in a detrimental manner. Altering barrels now is a common thing and I’m sure most is not legal (for hunting ) serious gun guys are fanatics and take all advantages possible. I take it you have never been to a Turkey shoot? Haven’t been in a while but they were interesting to say the least.

I’m sure they would not care if it is illegal, they would never get caught unless it was used in a detrimental manner. Altering barrels now is a common thing and I’m sure most is not legal (for hunting ) serious gun guys are fanatics and take all advantages possible. I take it you have never been to a Turkey shoot? Haven’t been in a while but they were interesting to say the least.
Lmao. My dad and his friends would be drunker than a thousand Indians at turkey shoots that took place at the bottom of a hill where we were having a youth soccer tournament at the same time. Man times were different

For you anti gun pusscakes. I've been a dozen times and my uncle had a gun shop and owns machine guns.

For you anti gun pusscakes. I've been a dozen times and my uncle had a gun shop and owns machine guns.

City boys never stood in the high school parking lot when a guy took his new rifle or shotgun off the rack in the truck window so one of the teachers could check it out too. They just shivered in fear when a Welfare Criminal shot somebody with a pistol during a mugging in their city streets, or 2 drug gangs had a shootout.

Reactions: ulrey and Cthulhu85
Bingo.

The mass killings aren’t going to stop because they aren’t a gun problem. They are a societal problem.

And the refrain “maybe if we ban these guns next, it will stop” would be all you’d hear.
Counter. Is America the only place in the world with a mental health issue? Mass shootings are very much a US problem. I find it hard to believe it’s simply because we have more crazy people.

Counter. Is America the only place in the world with a mental health issue? Mass shootings are very much a US problem. I find it hard to believe it’s simply because we have more crazy people.
No, they aren’t an American problem. They happen all over the world, with increasing frequency, especially in Europe.

Now, this country has a lot more than other countries, by a wide margin. But we’re not the only place it happens. And we’re not the only place that has seen a significant increase.

Thanks. Well I’m stuck for a while. I’m setting money aside for retirement and I’ll be out of here. Probably Carmel
Your people reside in southern Indiana Murt. Real men that know how to get things done. Carmel is for bougie folks like Lars or narcissist like Bloom…

• Love
Reactions: mcmurtry66
No, they aren’t an American problem. They happen all over the world, with increasing frequency, especially in Europe.

Now, this country has a lot more than other countries, by a wide margin. But we’re not the only place it happens. And we’re not the only place that has seen a significant increase.
When you mix people up and turn your country into the melting pot of the world shit happens.

Do other countries institutionalize their mentally ill at a higher rate? I do not know.

Last edited:
We are the 3rd most populated country in the world. I would bet money if you did a comparative analysis we would be within the standard deviation of crime statistics. Probably lower than standard.

But the wide margin is something right? I guess that the part I don’t get.

"Two men got into a fist fight and at some point, both pulled out rifles and started shooting, police say."

How the f*** do you "pull out" a rifle in the middle of a fight?
You read the other one? That guy was armed to the core. Carved a sign into the bathroom wall that said I'm not a killer I just want to get in the caves?

"Two men got into a fist fight and at some point, both pulled out rifles and started shooting, police say."

How the f*** do you "pull out" a rifle in the middle of a fight?
Put it like this. You know you have beef out there so you’re going to carry. But you are cool with not taking it to that level if you don’t have to. So you throw down. But things get loose and it escalates right. Not hard to understand

Put it like this. You know you have beef out there so you’re going to carry. But you are cool with not taking it to that level if you don’t have to. So you throw down. But things get loose and it escalates right. Not hard to understand
No, what I mean is, how do two men get into a fight while both strapped with rifles. How does that even work, mechanically?

"No, they aren’t an American problem. They happen all over the world, with increasing frequency, especially in Europe."

That's a pretty bizarre claim to make. Got a link?

Because looking at the most recent year (2022) there were TEN mass shootings (4 or more victims) in all of Europe combined. Five of those were in the Balkan/Eastern European region, with 3 in Russia and 1 each in Montenegro and Ukraine. Norway,Denmark, Germany, France and England all had a single mass casualty shooting and the incident at a British pub only had a single fatality with 4 injuries...

By contrast in that same year of 2022, there were 57 in the state of Texas alone...Looking at the monthly totals, the lowest single US total was 30, 3X as many for all of Euope for the entire year... The US has 5% of the world's population,and accounts for 31% of deaths by firearms

So where is the significant increase you maintain that Europe has seen?
One mass shooting in a year is "increasing frequency"?

This is the question you can never get the pro-gun people to answer without deflecting. They bend over backwards to avoid admitting that the difference between the US and the rest of the civilized world when it comes to gun violence is the proliferation of guns...

Mike Johnson tried to blame it on evoultion and taking God out of the classroom. Other scapegoats are abortion,drugs, absentee fathers, mental illness, schools not having a single point of entry...You name it,and one gun apologist or another has listed it as the reason the US has a catastrophic amount of gun deaths.

So what would you offer up as your example of a uniquely American problem or social characteristic in order to avoid admitting that guns are the problem? Assuming you don't think guns are the problem?

Some of the excuses people offer with a straight face are pathetic, like violent video games? Do they think other countries don't have the internet? And assuming they point to something like anime as the problem, do they even know that Anime was largely created in Japan?

Reactions: outside shooter
One of my best friends' (IU Law School) daughter goes to Bates College. She was locked in a classroom until the next day with the lights out. She was absolutely horrified.

How many GOOD things have happened from AR-15s being legal? The answer is about 5 per year.

"No, they aren’t an American problem. They happen all over the world, with increasing frequency, especially in Europe."

That's a pretty bizarre claim to make. Got a link?

Because looking at the most recent year (2022) there were TEN mass shootings (4 or more victims) in all of Europe combined. Five of those were in the Balkan/Eastern European region, with 3 in Russia and 1 each in Montenegro and Ukraine. Norway,Denmark, Germany, France and England all had a single mass casualty shooting and the incident at a British pub only had a single fatality with 4 injuries...

By contrast in that same year of 2022, there were 57 in the state of Texas alone...Looking at the monthly totals, the lowest single US total was 30, 3X as many for all of Euope for the entire year... The US has 5% of the world's population,and accounts for 31% of deaths by firearms

So where is the significant increase you maintain that Europe has seen?
One mass shooting in a year is "increasing frequency"?

This is the question you can never get the pro-gun people to answer without deflecting. They bend over backwards to avoid admitting that the difference between the US and the rest of the civilized world when it comes to gun violence is the proliferation of guns...

Mike Johnson tried to blame it on evoultion and taking God out of the classroom. Other scapegoats are abortion,drugs, absentee fathers, mental illness, schools not having a single point of entry...You name it,and one gun apologist or another has listed it as the reason the US has a catastrophic amount of gun deaths.

So what would you offer up as your example of a uniquely American problem or social characteristic in order to avoid admitting that guns are the problem? Assuming you don't think guns are the problem?

Some of the excuses people offer with a straight face are pathetic, like violent video games? Do they think other countries don't have the internet? And assuming they point to something like anime as the problem, do they even know that Anime was largely created in Japan?
blacks. They have ten times as many murders as whites in the most dangerous city in America. Fix whatever gives rise to that reality and we will barely have a gun issue

Country size. Denmark. Norway. Homogeneity.

• Haha
Reactions: outside shooter
blacks. They have ten times as many murders as whites in the most dangerous city in America. Fix whatever gives rise to that reality and we will barely have a gun issue
Black people, dude. And white people. Don’t elevate the less relevant feature to a noun!

In the same vein, we don’t refer to older, sexy women as “oldies,” but as . . .

Black people, dude. And white people. Don’t elevate the less relevant feature to a noun!

In the same vein, we don’t refer to older, sexy women as “oldies,” but as . . .
Fbi stats don’t say people. They say blacks and whites. So there were over 10,000 black murder victims in 2022 and 7,000 plus white. Black population is only 13%. So if we followed a trump world that worked and pulled out of policing the world and said we are going to fix this problem with that money what would these numbers look like? Invest in schools. Gentrify neighborhoods. Increase police presence. Subsidize home down payments. Enterprise zones. Abatements. Seed funding for businesses. Aggressively elevate high crime areas. I suspect the numbers would decline.

These figures are a choice. Coddling. No accountability. Culture. And guns. We choose this and it isn’t one thing like guns, especially with 400 mil of them or whatever in circulation

Reactions: jet812
Fbi stats don’t say people. They say blacks and whites. So there were over 10,000 black murder victims in 2022 and 7,000 plus white. Black population is only 13%. So if we followed a trump world that worked and pulled out of policing the world and said we are going to fix this problem what would these numbers look like? Invest in schools. Gentrify neighborhoods. Increase police presence. Subsidize home down payments. Enterprise zones. Abatements. Seed funding for businesses. Aggressively elevate high crime areas. I suspect the numbers would decline.

These figures are a choice. Coddling. No accountability. Culture. And guns. We choose this and it isn’t one thing like guns
Do they? Or do they say Black and White
Fbi stats don’t say people. They say blacks and whites. So there were over 10,000 black murder victims in 2022 and 7,000 plus white. Black population is only 13%. So if we followed a trump world that worked and pulled out of policing the world and said we are going to fix this problem with that money what would these numbers look like? Invest in schools. Gentrify neighborhoods. Increase police presence. Subsidize home down payments. Enterprise zones. Abatements. Seed funding for businesses. Aggressively elevate high crime areas. I suspect the numbers would decline.

These figures are a choice. Coddling. No accountability. Culture. And guns. We choose this and it isn’t one thing like guns, especially with 400 mil of them or whatever in circulation
Then the FBI should change.

The ATF isn't even allowed to have COMPUTERS because it would infringe on these lunatics' "rights".

The ATF is prevented by law from using computers because it might create a registry of owners which would somehow contravene the Second Amendment which says, “A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.”

Pretty disgusting.

The ATF isn't even allowed to have COMPUTERS because it would infringe on these lunatics' "rights".

The ATF is prevented by law from using computers because it might create a registry of owners which would somehow contravene the Second Amendment which says, “A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.”

Pretty disgusting.
That’s not exactly accurate. They use computers then have to essentially take screenshots and reduce it to paper files. Beyond stupid and outmoded. It’s bc republicans are against a national gun registry. I agree with you. Republicans are wrong imo. It’s the idea that if the gov knows who has guns and where they are they’ll come for them. So if you need them traced it takes weeks. Absurd

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT