ADVERTISEMENT

Maine Mass shooting: 18 dead so far and 60+ shot

il_794xN.4760972462_qitc.jpg
I haven’t seen pictures. I have a sling. It’d be nothing for me to scrap with it attached
Is this your sling?

That’s not exactly accurate. They use computers then have to essentially take screenshots and reduce it to paper files. Beyond stupid and outmoded. It’s bc republicans are against a national gun registry. I agree with you. Republicans are wrong imo. It’s the idea that if the gov knows who has guns and where they are they’ll come for them. So if you need them traced it takes weeks. Absurd
So, they are pretty much using a scanner and then printing it? That doesn’t make me feel any better. The documents they have collected are almost making the floor collapse at the ATF.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Just building a bit on crime in cities. We gave 100 billion to Ukraine just like that. The entire budget of Stl is only 1 billion. We could have taken that 100 billion and ended homeless in the US. We could have bought every single person a home. Every one.

I’m not saying giving money to Ukraine wasn’t the right thing to do. Just that crime and homelessness etc isn’t anything we as a country care much about

Reactions: jet812
Just building a bit on crime in cities. We gave 100 billion to Ukraine just like that. The entire budget of Stl is only 1 billion. We could have taken that 100 billion and ended homeless in the US. We could have bought every single person a home. Every one.

I’m not saying giving money to Ukraine wasn’t the right thing to do. Just that crime and homelessness etc isn’t anything we as a country care much about
Putting a bunch of mentally ill drug addicts in free apartments doesn’t solve anything.

On mental illness, guns, and how difficult the problem is:

The most recent Rewatchables covers "The Omen." One of the themes they discuss is bad seeds--evil children. In the here and now, with school shootings, this seems important.

Some kids are born psychopaths, I think. Others are made (through abuse, etc.). Let's put aside the second category. For the first, imagine how hard it must be as a parent to admit that (especially when you must be thinking it is your fault). With your spouse, how would that conversation take place? There's a real chance you alienate him or her just by broaching the subject. And as you're thinking about it, surely you must be thinking "I'm overblowing this. I'm paranoid or have an active imagination. He'll be fine. etc, etc." I think all of this would be even more difficult if the onset of the bad behavior/mindset comes later in life for the kid.

My son has a kid on his hockey team. He's about to get kicked off, and he's a problem. My son says he's never seen any kid like him, always showing an attitude, going out of his way to get penalties, fighting with the coach, etc. I had this image flash through my head this morning, listening to the Rewatchables episode, of this kid coming into practice with a gun in his hockey bag and shooting the place up. It would be impossible to stop. But what should I do? Yank my kid from the team? Tell the coach/hockey director that kid scares me. Based on what? How likely do you think they would be to do something and what, practically, could they even do?

How fvcked up is that? Yeah, part of that is obviously me and having an active imagination (see excuses in previous paragraph, though). But the other part is our society and the number of kids/young adults being so screwed up they do this stuff. It's amazing that things haven't changed much since Columbine.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
So if we followed a trump world that worked and pulled out of policing the world and said we are going to fix this problem with that money what would these numbers look like? Invest in schools. Gentrify neighborhoods. Increase police presence. Subsidize home down payments. Enterprise zones. Abatements. Seed funding for businesses. Aggressively elevate high crime areas. I suspect the numbers would decline.

So if we followed a Bernie Sanders world that worked and pulled out of policing the world and said we are going to fix this problem with that money what would these numbers look like? Invest in schools. Gentrify neighborhoods.
Fixed your post. You focused on the one area where I agree with Trump, the area where he's basically adopts the Bernie Sanders position. Stop policing the world and take care of problems at home (though Bernie would not give sweet deals to big business).

You're going to go hunting with your 30-round semiautomatic assault rifle we discussed a couple days ago?

What game would you hunt with that?
I don’t own a semi-auto centerfire rifle…so the answer is nothing

Ohio wants to ban all firearms….that was the context of the post. Do better

Starting to see that this wasn't a guy who suddenly snapped. This goes back a ways and yet nothing was done after his family and some people in his reserve unit said he was hearing voices. Plus there's the whole thing about being committed to a mental health facility because he was hearing voices and threatening to shoot up a military base.

Five months before the deadliest mass shooting in Maine’s history, the gunman’s family alerted the local sheriff that they were becoming concerned about his deteriorating mental health while he had access to firearms, authorities said Monday.
On Sept. 15, a sheriff's deputy was sent to visit Card’s home for a wellness check at the request of the reserve unit after a soldier said he was afraid Card was “going to snap and commit a mass shooting” because he was hearing voices again. The deputy went to Card's trailer but could not find him — nor the next day on a return visit. The sheriff’s department then sent out a statewide alert for help locating Card with a warning that he was known to be "armed and dangerous” and that officers should use extreme caution.

By this time, Card’s reserve unit had grown sufficiently concerned that it had decided to take away his military-issued firearms, the sheriff’s office was told. Army spokesperson Lt. Col. Ruth Castro confirmed that account, adding that Card was also declared “non-deployable” and that multiple attempts were made to contact him.

Military/defense spending - and anything that is spun as such - has become much more palatable to the American public. The only reason the Republicans are hemming and hawing about money to Ukraine is because there is a president with a 'D' behind his name doing it.

And there is no way spending billions of dollars on homelessness would ever fly. Any type of social safety net spending is roundly rejected by Republicans.

Reactions: UncleMark
Fixed your post. You focused on the one area where I agree with Trump, the area where he's basically adopts the Bernie Sanders position. Stop policing the world and take care of problems at home (though Bernie would not give sweet deals to big business).
just the 100 bil to ukraine alone. it's crazy to think what could be done with that money here. as i said we could end homelessness and i suspect bring crime to barely existent at all

Starting to see that this wasn't a guy who suddenly snapped. This goes back a ways and yet nothing was done after his family and some people in his reserve unit said he was hearing voices. Plus there's the whole thing about being committed to a mental health facility because he was hearing voices and threatening to shoot up a military base.

Five months before the deadliest mass shooting in Maine’s history, the gunman’s family alerted the local sheriff that they were becoming concerned about his deteriorating mental health while he had access to firearms, authorities said Monday.
On Sept. 15, a sheriff's deputy was sent to visit Card’s home for a wellness check at the request of the reserve unit after a soldier said he was afraid Card was “going to snap and commit a mass shooting” because he was hearing voices again. The deputy went to Card's trailer but could not find him — nor the next day on a return visit. The sheriff’s department then sent out a statewide alert for help locating Card with a warning that he was known to be "armed and dangerous” and that officers should use extreme caution.

By this time, Card’s reserve unit had grown sufficiently concerned that it had decided to take away his military-issued firearms, the sheriff’s office was told. Army spokesperson Lt. Col. Ruth Castro confirmed that account, adding that Card was also declared “non-deployable” and that multiple attempts were made to contact him.
Hmm....maybe we should limit his ability to buy guns to less than 10 per daily gun store visit.

Love, the NRA.

Military/defense spending - and anything that is spun as such - has become much more palatable to the American public. The only reason the Republicans are hemming and hawing about money to Ukraine is because there is a president with a 'D' behind his name doing it.

And there is no way spending billions of dollars on homelessness would ever fly. Any type of social safety net spending is roundly rejected by Republicans.
i'm a republican who was a democrat much longer. the problem is that I and we don't want progressives and far lefties in charge of the money and programs. they just rinse repeat. there's no one with less financial acumen than an MSW. the better the school the worse they are. prime example is when an agency runs low on dough the first person they want to cut is development. but she doesn't provide direct service. we can't cut sherry. so lefties who care waste it, coddle to the population that's trouble and in trouble, and don't know how to fix problems while republicans don't care. rinse repeat.

my larger point tho is how little it woudl take relative what we dole out overseas to help other countries

Hmm....maybe we should limit his ability to buy guns to less than 10 per daily gun store visit.

Love, the NRA.
He would have already been unable to buy firearms based on his commitment to a mental health facility, assuming the authorities did their job and provided that info to the feds who run the background check system. He should have had his firearms taken away at that point also.

That article is maddening to read. All the signs were there, yet no action was taken.

A guy broke into a Colorado amusement park overnight with multiple weapons, plenty of ammo, IEDs, and body armor. He then killed himself.

We should encourage that, build a monument and put names on it of people who elected to kill themselves and not others. If they want some sort of immortality then let's give it to them for not mass killing.

City boys never stood in the high school parking lot when a guy took his new rifle or shotgun off the rack in the truck window so one of the teachers could check it out too. They just shivered in fear when a Welfare Criminal shot somebody with a pistol during a mugging in their city streets, or 2 drug gangs had a shootout.
I went to Boonville soo I know what you’re talking about

On mental illness, guns, and how difficult the problem is:

The most recent Rewatchables covers "The Omen." One of the themes they discuss is bad seeds--evil children. In the here and now, with school shootings, this seems important.

Some kids are born psychopaths, I think. Others are made (through abuse, etc.). Let's put aside the second category. For the first, imagine how hard it must be as a parent to admit that (especially when you must be thinking it is your fault). With your spouse, how would that conversation take place? There's a real chance you alienate him or her just by broaching the subject. And as you're thinking about it, surely you must be thinking "I'm overblowing this. I'm paranoid or have an active imagination. He'll be fine. etc, etc." I think all of this would be even more difficult if the onset of the bad behavior/mindset comes later in life for the kid.

My son has a kid on his hockey team. He's about to get kicked off, and he's a problem. My son says he's never seen any kid like him, always showing an attitude, going out of his way to get penalties, fighting with the coach, etc. I had this image flash through my head this morning, listening to the Rewatchables episode, of this kid coming into practice with a gun in his hockey bag and shooting the place up. It would be impossible to stop. But what should I do? Yank my kid from the team? Tell the coach/hockey director that kid scares me. Based on what? How likely do you think they would be to do something and what, practically, could they even do?

How fvcked up is that? Yeah, part of that is obviously me and having an active imagination (see excuses in previous paragraph, though). But the other part is our society and the number of kids/young adults being so screwed up they do this stuff. It's amazing that things haven't changed much since Columbine.
Kids aren't born psychopaths. They are slowly nurtured into a moment or handful of moments that cause them to snap. It's a symptom of what they became.

Since you used a movie reference, you should check out Looper.

Children born with or develop mental instabilities reflect their surroundings like children who aren't. Much of it comes down to security vs. insecurity. Each person reacts differently to insecure moments, but if it's deeply enough engrained in them, it could very much lead them down a violent, even destructive path.

we don't know that. that's a psychiatry/psychology issue as children aren't diagnosed.
As in Brad didn't speak on spectrum, merely in the context this topic, i.e. a mass murderer and some random kid on his son's hockey team who might go postal if he's kicked off the team, kids aren't born psychopaths.

If you want to have a discussion about spectrum relative to empathy and early narcissistic behaviors, OK, but that pulls it right back to nurturing in regards to the point of becoming a killer. In that regard, kids are tested as early as two months based on visual tendencies, and diagnosed as early as two years. However, it's a large leap to suggest someone is born predisposed to be willing to murder.

As in Brad didn't speak on spectrum, merely in the context this topic, i.e. a mass murderer and some random kid on his son's hockey team who might go postal if he's kicked off the team, kids aren't born psychopaths.

If you want to have a discussion about spectrum relative to empathy and early narcissistic behaviors, OK, but that pulls it right back to nurturing in regards to the point of becoming a killer. In that regard, kids are tested as early as two months based on visual tendencies, and diagnosed as early as two years. However, it's a large leap to suggest someone is born predisposed to be willing to murder.
We don’t know that as that’s not something children are diagnosed- for myriad reasons

We don’t know that as that’s not something children are diagnosed- for myriad reasons
The example with the kid on my kid's hockey team had nothing to do with trying to say the kid was a psychopath, born to it, etc. I was using an example from my life to point out how difficult an issue it is for us, as a society, to expect parents can, or will, be able to identify the signs of a son or daughter who might go on a rampage, and all the psychological incentives/disincentives involved in that. It's also an example of how screwed up our society has become that parents have to worry about this kind of thing given the violence in our culture and the number of mass shootings going on involving children.

Regarding genetic predisposition to mental illness, in general, and psychopathic tendencies specifically, there is a genetic component, but we have no idea at this point how large that component is.

just the 100 bil to ukraine alone. it's crazy to think what could be done with that money here. as i said we could end homelessness and i suspect bring crime to barely existent at all
sounds like what you’re getting at is that it’s war on the streets and war in the Middle East. Instead of war on poverty we’ve got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.

The ATF isn't even allowed to have COMPUTERS because it would infringe on these lunatics' "rights".

The ATF is prevented by law from using computers because it might create a registry of owners which would somehow contravene the Second Amendment which says, “A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.”

Pretty disgusting.
What do you think a registry would accomplish?

So you don't have an explanation.

Typical of anti gun democrats.

Again, tell me what a gun a registry would accomplish?

I can't reply if you can't answer the ****in question.
same reason we register cars, marriages, deaths, historic places, and wedding gifts. it can be helpful to keep track of stuff.

Reactions: UncleMark
same reason we register cars, marriages, deaths, historic places, and wedding gifts. it can be helpful to keep track of stuff.
Then explain how a gun registry would be helpful? Would it stop or mitigate gun crime? If so then how? Otherwise a waste of money.

Car registration is for revenue generation. Licenses for marriage and death is for tax purposes. Historic places is for preservation. Wedding gifts WTF. I avoid paying taxes as much as I possibly can. What kind of shithead would do otherwise?

the BOR said no registries? Link?
Let me clarify, nothing you mentioned is an enumerated right.

What specifically would having a registry prevent when it comes to gun crime, as that is the intended purpose we are told for gun control.

I think a gun registry is just useless bureaucratic busy work.

Im in favor of a data base showing the ballistic markings of every firearm. This would be like fingerprints and DNA as far as solving gun crimes is concerned.

Im in favor of a data base showing the ballistic markings of every firearm. This would be like fingerprints and DNA as far as solving gun crimes is concerned.
I think SOLVING gun crimes is less of an issue than PREVENTING gun crimes, don't you?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT