ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like the electric cars handle the cold weather quite well. :)

going to take time to work out the bugs, if it's worth pursuing

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls

Tesla owners would be likely to have heated garages and home chargers, so there shouldn't be much of a problem in that regard. I'd also think there would be a market for a "wrecker service" that would be equipped with a charger and maybe a forced air heater of some sort to warm up the battery, for guys like the one whose car was dead after being left at the airport.

Nothing to do with the temperatures, they’ve all just had the charging cables stolen.
I’m sure you meant … Has everything to do with the temperature…

Chemical reaction rates change with temperatures… lower temperatures is a lower rate …
Recapture of braking energy is less efficient too when it it cold … thus decreases range.

I’m sure you meant … Has everything to do with the temperature…

Chemical reaction rates change with temperatures… lower temperatures is a lower rate …
Recapture of braking energy is less efficient too when it it cold … thus decreases range.
Which is why unless you live in the southern part of this country you should really think this through before buying an electric vehicle.

Reactions: UncleMark and NPT
EV’s are a product only the well-off buy and then as a second vehicle. I think EV’s have a utilitarian value but the way they are subsidized, designed, built, and marketed doesn’t reflect that.

Last edited:
EV’s are a product only the well-off buy and then as a second vehicle. I think EV’s have a utilitarian value but the way they are subsidized, designed, built, and marketed doesn’t reflect that.
Hybrids are what should have been more incentivized. They actually have a chance to capture a large part of the ICE market, but instead our knuckleheads in charge jumped straight to EV’s without the proper infrastructure or technology in place to adequately support them. It also incentivized automakers to go “all in” on developing these, which virtually all now regret & are having to cut back on production & sales projections. Again, had they incentivized hybrids there would be many more offerings than there are today, & we might be reducing fossil fuel consumption more significantly than a niche product like ev’s can provide.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT