ADVERTISEMENT

IU@Purdue, Game 1: PU wins 17-0 as the bullpen has a horrendous 8th in a humiliating loss...

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
Perkins seems to be regressing as the season progresses, and with our hitters getting handcuffed by the Boilers No, 1 pitcher so far, it's not a pretty sight so far. IU has just one hit so far and that was a single by Glasser. Through 4 IP, Perkins has given up 5 ERs on 5 hits, 4 BBs, 3 WPs, and has hit two batters. We also have two errors on the game so far.

Last edited:
In the T5th, IU got a walk from Mathison but a pop out and two Ks resulted in ziltch for IU in their half of the inning.

Perkins is still on the mound in a forgettable start for him today, but why not, given the problems our bullpen is having which is similar to how Perkins has pitched today. However, Perkins did have a pretty good 5th, taking them down in order.

IU went down in order in the 6th. IU batters have struck out 10 times so far in the game.

Purdue got a leadoff single in the 6th, and a SAC bunt moved to the runner to 2nd with one out. A ground out moved the runner to 3rd with two outs. A two-out base hit makes is 6-0 with a runner on 1st. The runner on 1st was thrown out at the plate after a double to end the inning.

Reactions: Orford
In the 7th, IU went down in order and the Boiler pitcher now has 11 Ks to match his high on the season so far.

Modugno has replaced Perkins in the B7th, and Modugno has really struggled on the mound this season. Modugno walked the 1st hitter he faced in former Hoosier Toetz after having an 0-2 count on him. Modugno then hit the next batter, the third hit batter of the game for IU, to put runners on 1st and 2nd with no outs. A single scored a pinch runner for Toetz to make it 7-0, with runners on the corners with no outs. Free passes to include walks and hit batters have hurt IU again with several of those crossing the plate today. A short flyout kept the runners on the corners with one out. A ground out kept the runner at 3rd while the runner on 1st moved to 2nd with two outs. Modugno got a K to end the inning and he is fortunate to only give up one run in that inning.

In the 8th, after a flyout, Mathison walked for the 2nd time in the game. Purdue's Jackson Smeltz then struck out Jessee for a season high 12 Ks for him. Schank then struck out in a pinch hitting role for the 13th K by Hoosier hitters. We won't see the Boiler starter in the 9th since he is at 121 PC, but the damage has already been done.

Hayden replaced Modugno on the mound in the B8th. Hayden walked the first batter he faced. Two WPs move the runner all the way to 3rd, as Hayden walks another batter. Hayden's third WP of the inning scores the first walked batter with the second walked batter moving all of the way to 3rd with no outs. To top things off, Hayden hit the next batter, IU's 4th hit batter of the game, to put runners on the corners with no outs. Mercer goes to the bullpen again to bring in David Platt. Hayden's line was two BBs, 3 WPs, and a hit batter and we are still looking for that first out. Platt and Moran were just as bad as Purdue continued to extend the lead with walks, hit batters and a 3-run homer. Of the 10 runs scored by the Boilers in the 8th, only four were scored off of a single and the homer, everything else came from walks, WPs and hit batters. IU hit four batters in the inning.

Last edited:
In the 9th, Purdue went to the bullpen for the 1st time and IU got two straight singles to lead off with no outs. After a flyout, a DP ended the game in what has to be the worst performance by an IU bullpen in a very long time and they have had some bad outings this season already.

Last edited:
ptritch I appreciate your updates, but at some point you need to start calling for Glants head. He is completely incapable of teaching basic fundamentals to these pitchers and is ruining the program. The sooner you and the program can admit that and realize a change is needed the better it will be.

• Sad
Reactions: mk30
This game was probably already lost when we were down 7-0 going into the 8th and we had only been able to get one hit off the Purdue starter in 8 IP, but the performance by the bullpen in the 8th was almost indescribably bad. In the order of appearance in the 8th:

Hayden in 0.0 IP gave up 3 ERs on no hits, 2 BBs, 3 WPs, 1 HBP

Platt in 0.0 IP gave up 3 ERs on no hits, 2 BBs, 1 HBP

Moran in 1.0 IP gave up 2 hits on a single and 3-run homer for 4 ERs, 2 HBP

IU hit 7 batters on the day, had 9 BBs, 6 WPs, and 5 Ks. Purdue got 17 runs, all earned, on just 11 hits. Defensively, we committed two errors and had a passed ball.

One thing about the 8th inning is with the score at 7-0, Mercer didn't go with the pitchers he would normally go to in the bullpen in a close game and that's really not saying much given how the entire bullpen has struggled. I just think he was thinking about the rest of the series and decided not to use certain pitchers with the game probably already lost. Hayden and Platt did not get an out while throwing all over the place, and Moran has seen practically no action at all and I think we saw why in the 8th. Modugno struggled in the 7th giving up an ER and was fortunate to get out of the inning with just that one run.

ptritch I appreciate your updates, but at some point you need to start calling for Glants head. He is completely incapable of teaching basic fundamentals to these pitchers and is ruining the program. The sooner you and the program can admit that and realize a change is needed the better it will be.
I really don't think we have to point it out that there is something terribly wrong with the pitching staff since the results have spoken for themselves and Mercer knows it, and Scott Dolson has to be really concerned. We expected some drop-off when we lost our weekend rotation and we brought in some pitchers like Perkins and Brehmer to counter that, but even they have had mixed results and we can't seem to find that third starter. They are not going to replace Glant midway through the season, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is not here after the season. Our offense didn't do much against Purdue's No. 1 starter, getting just one hit and no runs off of him through 8 IPs. With our pitching staff bleeding runs, we have to have a good day at the plate if we are going to win any games, and right now, this looks like a last place team when the dust settles at the end of the season. Purdue's coach after a bad year last season, completely turned over his roster and they started 7 transfers of the 9 starters today. Their weekend starters have had good seasons so far with their bullpen being suspect, but we never got to their bullpen today until the 9th. They played one of the weakest schedules of any team in the country this season, but it helped build confidence with the team and also created momentum going into the B1G season. They got swept by Illinois because of the bullpen which is something we need to do going into the last two games of the series. It will be interesting to see how the team reacts to the game tomorrow after being pummeled today, and let's hope it's the good Brehmer tomorrow.

Last edited:
I really don't think we have to point it out that there is something terribly wrong with the pitching staff since the results have spoken for themselves and Mercer knows it, and Scott Dolson has to be really concerned. We expected some drop-off when we lost our weekend rotation and we brought in some pitchers like Perkins and Brehmer to counter that, but even they have had mixed results and we can't seem to find that third starter. They are not going to replace Glants midway through the season, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is not here after the season. Our offense didn't do much against Purdue's No. 1 starter, getting just one hit and no runs off of him through 8 IPs. With our pitching staff bleeding runs, we have to have a good day at the plate if we are going to win any games, and right now, this looks like a last place team when the dust settles at the end of the season. Purdue's coach after a bad year last season, completely turned over his roster and they started 7 transfers of the 9 starters today. Their weekend starters have had good seasons so far with their bullpen being suspect, but we never got to their bullpen today until the 9th. They played one of the weakest schedules of any team in the country this season, but it helped build confidence with the team and also created momentum going into the B1G season. They got swept by Illinois because of the bullpen which is something we need to do going into the last two games of the series. It will be interesting to see how the team reacts to the game tomorrow after being pummeled today, and let's hope it's the good Brehmer tomorrow.
You know, IU is in a tough spot. Mercer is in year 4 and the regression of the program is evident. I believe his contract is 5 years (maybe 6 I’m not sure) and he’s in an extend, fired, or ride it out situation. Neither one is a good scenario for IU, but if the vision by Dolson is for baseball to be tops in the B10 and to compete nationally a change must be made after this season.

Coaching is such a small community, and a lot of staffs are assembled with relationships and trust in mind. If Mercer is to “fire” Glant after one year, his pool severely shrinks of potential candidates. I’m not sure a guy who’s been a coach for a short time has those contacts to attract a good pitching coach in this situation.

Furthermore, a big part of Mercer becoming head coach was the access to Scott Rolen. When Dan Held left, so did that access to Rolen. Rolen was never going to be factor reguardless, but it was a recruiting chip that is no longer available.

This isn’t even mentioning the product on the field which has been abysmal and non competitive at times which has been a huge red flag for me. I though Mercer would do well by surrounding himself with really good people/coaches, but it seems that is quickly shrinking and I don’t really see how this ends well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT