ADVERTISEMENT

IU buying out next year's Louisville game

i still have the game replay on the DVR.

but then you can go all "who you gonna believe, the administration or your own eyes".

you can see the stadium attendance much better from the tv views, than you can from the stadium seats.

you always can.

sorry if the truth isn't what people want to here.
So you’re the decider of attendance, not the actual organization that distributes the tickets? JFC you’re unhinged

but then you can go all "who you gonna believe, the administration or your own eyes".

you can see the stadium attendance much better from the tv views, than you can from the stadium seats.

you always can.

You could also tell how many fans that were there were Ohio state fans? All from your couch?

no one has brought this up yet, and i've bit my tongue for 2 weeks, but PU had a better crowd for a noon kick off vs Fresno State who brought virtually no one, than IU did for a 3:30 kick vs highly ranked OSU.

and let's do the math here,

say IU had 40,000 for OSU, which is probably more than being generous. (probably more like 37,000 tops actual attendance).

say 11,000 IU students attended, 10,000 OSU fans, (probably actually more OSU fans than that), and say 5,000 youth tics.

that leaves maybe 15-16 thousand tops IU adults in attendance, and probably less than that.

IU has flat priced a huge part of their base out of the market, and what other markets get is totally meaningless in this market.

and spare me the winning thing.

IU has struggled in the W-L column my whole life, and i saw my first game in 10th St Stadium and attended almost every game in the early mid 60s after the new MS was built.

IU was doing much better in attendance in the early 60s coming off probation and pre Gonso/Iso/Butcher, and always full for OSU and literally sold out every yr for PU, when the population of the area was a third of what it is now.

we sell less tickets today than when the area population was a third of what it is now, and IU Btown had 10,000 less students.

dwell on that for a minute. less or similar attendance now than when the area had a third of the population it does today, and 10,000 less IU Btown students.

and the program then was no better than now, so spare me the BS that this is just about winning..

in any other business, everybody on the administration side would be fired for such results.

here, nobody cares, because the TV money is guaranteed even though no one here had anything to do with generating a cent of that.

there is no excuse for the administration not doing more to increase attendance, which has just killed recruiting for decades ten times more than facilities or coaches ever have.

the IU Corporation would have much preferred to have sold literally every seat to an OSU fan at premium prices, than do anything to bring in IU fans, even though it's swimming in money to the point of going Brewster's Millions on spending on opulance.

that in a nutshell says how we got where we are, and stayed there decade after decade.
For those of us that were there

Announced attanedance (tickets sold) was 50K

Given the few bald spots and the generally loose seating, I would put the actual at 45K.

12K were students
8-10K were Ahia assholes. (20K lol)
25K IU non student fans (not good)

Reactions: Chriselli

you always can.

This is not remotely accurate.

Given the few bald spots and the generally loose seating, I would put the actual at 45K.

12K were students
Ohio fans did not account for 20-25% of the crowd

Ohio fans did not account for 20-25% of the crowd
My post shows 16-20% of the crowd i think that is close. Ahia travels better than any other visitor by a long shot. While their numbers are nowhere near what they were 15 years ago, they still bring a lot of annoying wannabes.

12K were students

no way was there more than 40,000 tops actual attendance. (not the purely fictional administration numbers that are always quite inflated).

anyone who watched the tv broadcast could see no way was the stadium more than 4/5ths full, and highly doubtful it was even that.

this board reminds me of a Cris Collinsworth quote.

"people want to hear the truth.

they just don't want to hear the truth about their own team".

We didn't play Missouri the year we went to the Pinstripe bowl.

Our OCC schedule that year was Southern Illinois, FIU, Western Kentucky and Wake.

W.K. was the best of those bunch by a long shot.

We beat Missouri in 2014, when we went 4-8.
You and your facts. He was on a roll...

12K were students
Pretty close. I've been to a lot of OSU games in Btown and there are always more OSU fans than you think.

They were the first fans I remember to consistently start showing up on Thursdays in RVs. It wasn't uncommon to find the urinals at Memorial stadium full of Buckeyes. They don't travel like they once did, but still better than any other B10 program.

Based on ticket sales for this weekend, I'm not sure there's quite the interest that you think...or that I would have expected. BTW, I've heard rumors that UL has sold more tickets than IU, which is embarrassing for a game in Indy.
Maybe, but Indianapolis is an easy drive from Louisville. I don’t know that it’s a true “neutral” location, but it’s not bad for fans of either program.

Pretty close. I've been to a lot of OSU games in Btown and there are always more OSU fans than you think.

They were the first fans I remember to consistently start showing up on Thursdays in RVs. It wasn't uncommon to find the urinals at Memorial stadium full of Buckeyes. They don't travel like they once did, but still better than any other B10 program.
There were a few years they had close to 20K but nothing like that in the last decade plus.

Even at 8K they are still obnoxious.

you always can.

One problem with your analysis

What you can tell at the game that you cannot on TV is the "loose" seating, meaning that instead of the tight side by side everyone gets a few extra inches to spread out because less seats are filled. Can't really see that on tv if there aren't gaps.

Don't disagree, I just don't think people are all that interested.
They're not interested because we have scorched the earth for the past two seasons. The biggest crowd I may have ever seen at Memorial was the 2021 Cincinnati game.

Logistical question...I haven't purchased my tickets yet, how do you know which side is the Indiana side? Thanks!

I completely disagree. In football, you only play teams once, and EVERY game matters. Beating Oregon at Oregon was better that winning the Pinstripe Bowl would have been. Every game can be a bowl game, that's why the B1G has all these trophy games. Hell, we've got the exact equivalent of a bowl game atmosphere this Saturday, only without the opt-outs (because this game actually matters).

I love college football for the mystique of the bowl games. I would rather reach the Rose Bowl than win the national title at another venue. However, until the kids care about the bowl games, and until the kids that utilize that extra practice time start staying at Indiana long enough to even see the field here, I will continue to place more value on bragging rights every Saturday.
So you'd rather beat a good out of conference team than go to a bowl? I would say you are in the minority on this one. Beating, lets say a top 20 team the first game of the season, but not going to a bowl would not be a great or entertaining season to me. To me a successful and enjoyable season is playing some "meaningful" games outside of September. And the only way to do that is to beat inferior teams to start the year. IU needs to build the program by getting some confidence and momentum. You do that by playing in bowls. I don't care if it's the K-Mart Bowl. Bowls baby!

Would you rather have a bowl team or a marquee non-conference opponent that fans still won't show up for?
Bowl games don’t mean what they used to, especially those not on Jan 1. They come a dime a dozen, just not for IU. In the history of college football IU has been in just 12 bowl games, losing 9 of those. We haven’t won a bowl game in 32 years. Let that sink in when you turn out the light and close your eyes tonight. Think slowly to yourself “32 *****ng years!” Only then can you truly appreciate how ridiculously long that’s been.

Reactions: CaptainZigZag
Bowl games don’t mean what they used to, especially those not on Jan 1. They come a dime a dozen, just not for IU. In the history of college football IU has been in just 12 bowl games, losing 9 of those. We haven’t won a bowl game in 32 years. Let that sink in when you turn out the light and close your eyes tonight. Think slowly to yourself “32 *****ng years!” Only then can you truly appreciate how ridiculously long that’s been.
They’re meaningful from the standpoint of extra practices, as well as a showcase for on campus recruits.

Well, the kick was good so there is that.

Bowls are definitely divided by the haves and have nots. The have not bowls give is added practice time and an opportunity to foster relationships with alumni. A party weekend in a warm town is a great way to connect with alumni.

But it very likely didn’t make us better, which was my point.
It absolutely made us better. You don't learn how to win by getting your ass kicked every week. We completed passes against a team that we didn't practice against. We found out our special teams aren't special. Hopefully we are mich better this week.

We got to put together drives. Jackson gained confidence. Another game against OSU would not have made us better.

Reactions: IUAndy
They're not interested because we have scorched the earth for the past two seasons. The biggest crowd I may have ever seen at Memorial was the 2021 Cincinnati game.

Logistical question...I haven't purchased my tickets yet, how do you know which side is the Indiana side? Thanks!
I think it’s on the map when you choose your tickets on Ticketmaster

Well, the kick was good so there is that.

Bowls are definitely divided by the haves and have nots. The have not bowls give is added practice time and an opportunity to foster relationships with alumni. A party weekend in a warm town is a great way to connect with alumni.
Get invited to bowl game. Win bowl game. Nothing else.

In an unbalanced conference schedule, we need to plan appropriately so we have seven home games every year. Part of that process is not being locked into home and home series with non-conference foes. Only a certain level of competition will agree to that sort of arrangement. And in any objective rating of programs within the Big Ten, we’re on the lower end. We need all the wins we can get.

any non idiot could just go to a balanced conference sched, and still have 7 home games a yr including home and homes with other non conf schools from other major conferences.

this isn't about scheduling what's best for the fans, students, and alums.

it's about the B10 schools owing the media rights to games, and home and homes with major non conf schools mean the other school has those media rights half the time for that home and home.

every decision IU and the B10 makes, they make for one, and only one reason.

any non idiot could just go to a balanced conference sched, and still have 7 home games a yr including home and homes with other non conf schools from other major conferences.

it's about the B10 schools owing the media rights to games, and home and homes with major non conf schools mean the other school has those media rights half the time for that home and home.

It’s far more nuanced than you believe it to be.

It’s far more nuanced than you believe it to be.

i understand things quite well.

Great start to be sure.

Indiana travels well to bowls and they are great for fundraising.

Winning some would be a bonus.
IU fans will never travel to a bowl game as well as they did in 1967-68…the Rose Bowl. We lost that one, too, 14-3. Traveled over 2,000 miles and didn’t see a TD scored in red. At least we got the Rose Bowl monkey off our backs. It was a long time coming. Sadly, the “Katzenjammer Kids” never lived up to expectations following the sophomore years of our BIG three, Butcher, Isenbarger and Gonso.

Reactions: kmathum
IU fans will never travel to a bowl game as well as they did in 1967-68…the Rose Bowl. We lost that one, too, 14-3. Traveled over 2,000 miles and didn’t see a TD scored in red. At least we got the Rose Bowl monkey off our backs. It was a long time coming. Sadly, the “Katzenjammer Kids” never lived up to expectations following the sophomore years of our BIG three, Butcher, Isenbarger and Gonso.
Just a bit before my time but other bowls i have attended (outside of CA) have been good. Over 20,000 in Jax and that was a blast for two days right up until five minutes to go.

Just a bit before my time but other bowls i have attended (outside of CA) have been good. Over 20,000 in Jax and that was a blast for two days right up until five minutes to go.
I think my last bowl game attended was the Peach Bowl in ‘88 on NYD. We got down 21-3 to Tennessee early in the second quarter then took our first lead 22-21 in the 4th Q. Tenn. scored the go ahead TD with 2 min, left. It was a heartbreaker. We had David Schnell at QB and Anthony Thompson at half-back. IU had a big crowd and it was a mostly sunny day with 58K+ total attendance.

Reactions: muubell
I think my last bowl game attended was the Peach Bowl in ‘88 on NYD. We got down 21-3 to Tennessee early in the second quarter then took our first lead 22-21 in the 4th Q. Tenn. scored the go ahead TD with 2 min, left. It was a heartbreaker. We had David Schnell at QB and Anthony Thompson at half-back. IU had a big crowd and it was a mostly sunny day with 58K+ total attendance.
It has been a long time and I was young but I remember sitting at (that)? game in FCS looking up and barely being able to see the upper deck due to the fog and dark.

Am I confusing another bowl?

It has been a long time and I was young but I remember sitting at (that)? game in FCS looking up and barely being able to see the upper deck due to the fog and dark.

Am I confusing another bowl?
I don’t recall that degree of gloom and doom. Maybe the weather was “iffy” at first but as the game progressed the sun peaked thru the clouds and was decent for
Jan 1 in Georgia.

I don’t recall that degree of gloom and doom. Maybe the weather was “iffy” at first but as the game progressed the sun peaked thru the clouds and was decent for
Jan 1 in Georgia.
Could be...not that it matters.

Jan 1 in Georgia.
It was rainy and chilly, just as it was when we played there several years later against Auburn. And it was actually January 2nd, as there was a large Rose Bowl watch party the day before in the official IU hotel.

I guess success is in the eye of the beholder. It didn’t work for any of Allen’s predecessors dating back to the days of Lee Corso, and it’s not working so far for TA’s program.
In the days of Lee Corso, the “we‘re going to be good schedule“ was LSU USC and Nebraska …
Then, UK was an SEC doormat slightly better than Vandy.
It‘s not the doormat it once was. Stoops has seen to that.
Stoops seems content to stay in Lexington.

Scheduling UK may have a lot of emotional appeal, but is no longer practicable …
UK dropped IU to schedule a cupcake … like NKU, WKU, Murray St.
WKU moved up to FBS and became less attractive.
Political factions in KY, forced UK to schedule UL
Traditional rival UTenn has gotten over their slump.
Dropping a cupcake for IU means fewer bowl trips for UK: can’t happen.

IU needs the cupcake with the 9 game Big Schedule.
No doubt about it.

Reactions: 76-1 and IUAndy
Wins put butts in seats as it did after 2019 and 2020
Promotions put butts in seats.

Pu is promoting the hell out of their season with pricing deals and hype on the rusted corner being cut out of their stadium. They have two sellouts already

IU is doing neither...yet

We need to promote until the wins come.
Yes good tickets are pricey enough … 18 bucks student activity fee for a season pass when I was a student.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
no way was there more than 40,000 tops actual attendance. (not the purely fictional administration numbers that are always quite inflated).

anyone who watched the tv broadcast could see no way was the stadium more than 4/5ths full, and highly doubtful it was even that.

this board reminds me of a Cris Collinsworth quote.

"people want to hear the truth.

they just don't want to hear the truth about their own team".
Nice quote…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT