ADVERTISEMENT

IU buying out next year's Louisville game

One thing to consider, we have a senior laden roster at least 3 if not 4 of 5 OL starters will be graduating.
3 DL Starters, and LBs Aaron Casey, Myles Jackson, And Jacob, will all move on, as will Noah.
Randolph, Wilt, and Bostad may be hard pressed to field as competitive a product next year.
Scheduling a low G5 or FCS would seem wise, and money well spent.

One Power 5 team or other D1 team always. if we get to a bowl all the more sweet. Michigan has played Washington, Notre Dame twice , Colorado St, SMU last 4 years (covid yr doesn't count).
2021 Michigan played bad P5 and 2 good MAC teams
Washington (4-8)
Northern Illinois
Western Michigan
2022 Michigan played 3 really bad teams
UCONN
Colorado St (3-9)
Hawaii
East Carolina
UNLV
Bowling Green

A CFP contender isn't exactly killing themselves in the nonconference schedule.

I don't get the hang up on this. If Indiana beats Louisville half the fan base will say Louisville is a nobody that doesn't mean anything.
Well the OSU eye test says we have promise.
2 dismal losing seasons say don’t believe your eyes (or so say the critics).
UL hasn’t been the program it was, when lead by Heisman hopefuls …
but would seem to be generally competent.
A good showing v. UL will go a long way …
let the critics self flagellate in their misery … May they don hair shirts too.
SP+ is like a moving weight average (with a lot of momentum)
… it won’t budge for awhile.
This season‘s NCAA stats will be a better guide in the short run.

Last edited:
Would you rather have a bowl team or a marquee non-conference opponent that fans still won't show up for?
I would rather see the the marquee non-conference opponent. I certainly enjoyed watching the Hoosiers beat top 20 Missouri on the road. Of course they lost the Bowling Green the same year and as I recall they ended up in New York in the Pinstripe Bowl.

This is rinky dink. Does it really matter if we win two games or three in the non-conference if we're incapable of winning three in the conference? Why schedule cupcakes to HOPEFULLY get to play an interesting exhibition contest on a sterile, neutral field when you could guarantee an interesting ACTUAL contest on a vibrant college campus?

Think how many awesome games we could see and places we could play. We're either going to be good or we won't. What is our goal if bowl games die? Mine is to watch Indiana in every power four/five stadium. I am so grateful to have seen us play at Oregon, Missouri, Kentucky, Navy, Virginia (twice) and Wake...I'm super disappointed to have missed Utah, Washington, NC State, and UNC by a couple of years. If we're going to lose, play fun teams!

Furthermore, to suck off Louisville the week we are playing them is the ultimate cucked move. Only at Indiana would we claim our inferiority to the team we are playing that week. You literally can't make this up.

Last edited:
I can't help wondering how much say Tom Allen had in canceling this game. The pragmatist in me says cancel the Louisville game and try to increase the odds of not being fired, and maybe get an automatic one year contract extension if the Hoosiers get to six wins.

Tom Allen is making $5 million a year because we should have a reasonable chance to beat Louisville.

How much will Indiana have to pay to back out of the game? If there was any poetic justice I know who I would want to have to have reach into their pocket to cough up the money.

Reactions: Cap99 and Chriselli
This is risky dink. Does it really matter if we win two games or three in the non-conference if we're incapable of winning three in the conference? Why schedule cupcakes to HOPEFULLY get to play an interesting exhibition contest when you could guarantee an interesting ACTUAL contest?

Think how many awesome games we could see and places we could play. We're either going to be good or we won't. What is our goal if bowl games die? Mine is to watch Indiana in every power four/five stadium. I am so grateful to have seen us play at Oregon, Missouri, Kentucky, Navy, Virginia (twice) and Wake...I'm super disappointed to have missed Utah, Washington, NC State, and UNC by a couple of years. If we're going to lose, play fun teams!
Washington, Oregon, USC, UCLA will be our new "fun" teams. IU needs some wins, not "fun" team losses before the conference schedule. I just don't get why people care who we play when we've benn a bottom feeder for...EVER!

Last edited:
I can't help wondering how much say Tom Allen had in canceling this game. The pragmatist in me says cancel the Louisville game and try to increase the odds of not being fired, and maybe get an automatic one year contract extension if the Hoosiers get to six wins.

Tom Allen is making $5 million a year because we should have a reasonable chance to beat Louisville.

How much will Indiana have to pay to back out of the game? If there was any poetic justice I know who I would want to have to have reach into their pocket to cough up the money.
It was $1 million to back out.

Washington, Oregon, USC, UCLA will be our new "fun" teams. IU needs some wins, not "fun" team losses before the conference schedule. I just don't get why people care who we play when we've a bottom feeder for...EVER!
What good is our win over Indiana State if we can't beat Louisville? What good is our win over Akron if we can't beat Purdue? What's the point?

2021 Michigan played bad P5 and 2 good MAC teams
Washington (4-8)
Northern Illinois
Western Michigan
2022 Michigan played 3 really bad teams
UCONN
Colorado St (3-9)
Hawaii
East Carolina
UNLV
Bowling Green

A CFP contender isn't exactly killing themselves in the nonconference schedule.
To that, in conference, UM plays roughly the same schedule as IU except UM gets to play IU and we have to play a CFP contender in UM. So if UM doesn't do it due to the tough schedule, why do we?

What good is our win over Indiana State if we can't beat Louisville? What good is our win over Akron if we can't beat Purdue? What's the point?
The point is in either scenario you just outlined, IU isn't going to a bowl; however, if IU beats ISU and Louisville, then beats PU in conference, they're going to a bowl. We have had seasons where we won enough conference gsmes to get us to a bowl but since we played a tough nonconference schedule, we didn't make a bowl. We are trying to build a program from the bottom up. The best path to doing that is to string a decade of bowl appearances together. That helps with recruiting and eventually, after we're consistently winning, we can worry about playing the toughest schedule we can.

Last edited:
The big thing people are missing is how the schedule will change with additions of USC, UCLA, Washington, Oregon. It isn't just getting rid of Louisville but how does the schedule look next year with the addition of the four West Coast teams.

I know the original intention was to cancel without a buy out. Unlikely outcome I guess because uL is now going to have to pay some team to come in.

I understand the move but would have sucked it up and played. This sends a tough message to the team.

Reactions: Cap99 and Chriselli
Playing lesser programs doesn’t make us any better, even if it guarantees a slightly better record. We’ve been trying this formula for years and somehow believe it will have a longer term beneficial impact. It never has, but we can’t seem to shake the mentality. It’s one of the reasons mediocrity flourishes.

I know the original intention was to cancel without a buy out. Unlikely outcome I guess because uL is now going to have to pay some team to come in.

I understand the move but would have sucked it up and played. This sends a tough message to the team.
What's the tough message, exactly?

"I know, I know, you play Ohio State, Michigan, USC, Oregon, Penn State, Iowa, Wisconsin, Washington, UCLA and your rival Purdue but I hope you're sitting down......we're cancelling a road game vs. a below average P5 school and scheduling a home game for you instead."

I imagine they will just be completely torn up. Better bring in some therapists.

Playing lesser programs doesn’t make us any better, even if it guarantees a slightly better record. We’ve been trying this formula for years and somehow believe it will have a longer term beneficial impact. It never has, but we can’t seem to shake the mentality. It’s one of the reasons mediocrity flourishes.
If it gets you another win, which gets you additional practices at the end of the year and then gets you another game against a good team, then it's worth it.

Ideally it's not done in perpetuity.

If it gets you another win, which gets you additional practices at the end of the year and then gets you another game against a good team, then it's worth it.

Ideally it's not done in perpetuity.
“If” always underscores the supporting argument, which is a tip off that it may not be as beneficial as it seems. As for perpetuity, we’ve been doing it for decades, with limited short and no reall long term success.

Reactions: vesuvius13
If beating ISU gets us the magical 6th win for bowl eligibility, then yes.
As we’ve seen, however, bowl eligibility hasn’t ever led us to building a sustainably successful program. This is a shortcut with perceived but generally unrealized benefits, and it’s never been a substitute for the fundamentals of actually creating a winning football program.

As we’ve seen, however, bowl eligibility hasn’t ever led us to building a sustainably successful program. This is a shortcut with perceived but generally unrealized benefits, and it’s never been a substitute for the fundamentals of actually creating a winning football program.
it worked for bill snyder at Kstate. transfers and a cupcake schedule.

157877-vanilla-cupcakes-ddmfs-4X3-0397-59653731be1d4769969698e427d7f5bc.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT