ADVERTISEMENT

IU buying out next year's Louisville game

What's the tough message, exactly?

"I know, I know, you play Ohio State, Michigan, USC, Oregon, Penn State, Iowa, Wisconsin, Washington, UCLA and your rival Purdue but I hope you're sitting down......we're cancelling a road game vs. a below average P5 school and scheduling a home game for you instead."

I imagine they will just be completely torn up. Better bring in some therapists.
If Louisville is a below average P5 school, what does that make IU?!? 😳

Reactions: vesuvius13
I would rather see the the marquee non-conference opponent. I certainly enjoyed watching the Hoosiers beat top 20 Missouri on the road. Of course they lost the Bowling Green the same year and as I recall they ended up in New York in the Pinstripe Bowl.

We didn't play Missouri the year we went to the Pinstripe bowl.

Our OCC schedule that year was Southern Illinois, FIU, Western Kentucky and Wake.

W.K. was the best of those bunch by a long shot.

We beat Missouri in 2014, when we went 4-8.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
I’m neither surprised nor particularly bothered that IU dropped the game. But if it were up to me I would’ve kept the game on the schedule and then used the buyout $$ to stabilize/upgrade Allen’s staff in the offseason.

With the wrong coaching, IMO scheduling doesn’t really help. With the right coaching, IMO scheduling doesn’t really matter.

Coaching > scheduling

Coaching > bowl bids

Coaching > attendance
Exactly. Scheduling changes are a tactic that we keep applying as a strategy. Building a sustainably winning program is about leadership, and the schools that understand this are well ahead of those who do not.

People miss that it is due to the teams coming in to the B1G and needing to have home games.
That isn’t the reason, at least not directly. We‘re just trying to schedule an easier game so we can guarantee a win. We’ll have the same number of conference games and, with proper planning, can always have seven home dates.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chriselli
Do you think playing Indiana State makes us a better team? Creates a better atmosphere? Generates any real benefit to us?
This year it allowed an inexperienced QB the opportunity to get more snaps in a game and run a real offense. Sure, it was against a bad team, but executing the offense was better than another game where we couldn't or wouldn't run our offense.

We didn't play Missouri the year we went to the Pinstripe bowl.

Our OCC schedule that year was Southern Illinois, FIU, Western Kentucky and Wake.

W.K. was the best of those bunch by a long shot.

We beat Missouri in 2014, when we went 4-8.
Thanks for the correction. I was blurring together the 2014 Hoosiers with the 2015 Hoosiers. In 2014 the Hoosiers went 1-7 within the conference. The victory over then number 18 ranked Missouri was definitely the highlight of the season. Missouri went on to be the Easter division champs in the SEC and then to defeat Minnesota in the Citrus Bowl, finishing with a record of 11 - 3.

But they're definitely was a great deal of angst when that Missouri game showed up on Indiana's schedule. It was going to be another nail in the coffin to prevent Indiana from going to a bowl game. Instead it was the highlight of the season

This year it allowed an inexperienced QB the opportunity to get more snaps in a game and run a real offense. Sure, it was against a bad team, but executing the offense was better than another game where we couldn't or wouldn't run our offense.
Following this logic to the ultimate conclusion Indiana should drop out of the Big Ten so they can more effectively run their offense.

This isn't basketball. IU is not normally (if ever) competing to get into the playoffs. We're looking for a bowl. Good out-of-conference wins mean very little.
I completely disagree. In football, you only play teams once, and EVERY game matters. Beating Oregon at Oregon was better that winning the Pinstripe Bowl would have been. Every game can be a bowl game, that's why the B1G has all these trophy games. Hell, we've got the exact equivalent of a bowl game atmosphere this Saturday, only without the opt-outs (because this game actually matters).

I love college football for the mystique of the bowl games. I would rather reach the Rose Bowl than win the national title at another venue. However, until the kids care about the bowl games, and until the kids that utilize that extra practice time start staying at Indiana long enough to even see the field here, I will continue to place more value on bragging rights every Saturday.

Following this logic to the ultimate conclusion Indiana should drop out of the Big Ten so they can more effectively run their offense.
And reach more bowl games🤣...but we'd have to only request bowls that we thought we would definitely win. After a decade of that, we could work our way back up the college football ladder.

Also, the reason attendance was so high in 2021 was the fact that fans were encouraged by us winning six B1G games (without any cream puff filler preseason games) in 2020. This followed winning five B1G games in 2019. Fans aren't dumb, and only care when we beat teams they've heard of or that we traditionally lose to. Lucy has pulled the football too many times on our paper tiger starts.

But it very likely didn’t make us better, which was my point.

Would you rather have a bowl team or a marquee non-conference opponent that fans still won't show up for?

i'll take a guaranteed marquee non conf opponent, who will be a home game half the time, over a possible/maybe marquee opponent, who is never a home game, literally every time.

only an idiot, or someone shilling for the administration, would do otherwise.

a sure game against another major school that is a home game half the time, always trumps one in the bush that's never guaranteed, realized less than half the time, and literally never a home game.

and playing major school non conf opponents doesn't disqualify IU from bowl games in the slightest.

it's really sad that administration lackeys dominate the board with this non stop crap, and really sad that the administration constantly makes decisions that they feel requires a social media army of lackeys to stand up for decisions that benefit only the administration, and constantly give the finger to the fan who's financing everything.

if you want guaranteed wins go watch fake pro wrestling, and leave real sports to those who want real games between schools of similar throw weight.

Last edited:
Also, the reason attendance was so high in 2021 was the fact that fans were encouraged by us winning six B1G games (without any cream puff filler preseason games) in 2020. This followed winning five B1G games in 2019. Fans aren't dumb, and only care when we beat teams they've heard of or that we traditionally lose to. Lucy has pulled the football too many times on our paper tiger starts.
Wins put butts in seats as it did after 2019 and 2020
Promotions put butts in seats.

Pu is promoting the hell out of their season with pricing deals and hype on the rusted corner being cut out of their stadium. They have two sellouts already

IU is doing neither...yet

We need to promote until the wins come.

Is this what Scott told you?
In an unbalanced conference schedule, we need to plan appropriately so we have seven home games every year. Part of that process is not being locked into home and home series with non-conference foes. Only a certain level of competition will agree to that sort of arrangement. And in any objective rating of programs within the Big Ten, we’re on the lower end. We need all the wins we can get.

Wins put butts in seats as it did after 2019 and 2020
Promotions put butts in seats.

Pu is promoting the hell out of their season with pricing deals and hype on the rusted corner being cut out of their stadium. They have two sellouts already

IU is doing neither...yet

We need to promote until the wins come.
A big victory over Louisville on Saturday, would boost attendance moving forward. It would show the true potential of this team.

Beat Louisville and a bowl game is likely along with better attendance.

People miss that it is due to the teams coming in to the B1G and needing to have home games.
You’re not expanding the B10 schedule any further beyond 9 games, and you will at most play one of the new teams each year. When you do, they will as often replace Ohio State, Penn State, or Michigan as they will Maryland, Michigan State or Rutgers. Your conference schedule isn’t going to get any tougher, year in and year out, unless it expands to 10 games.

Once IU cancelled the home game in 2025, it was a forgone conclusion that they would also try to get out of the road game in 2024.

As a subscriber to the UofL site, I can tell you that what’s been holding up this announcement is that both UofL and IU have been trying to find a P5 replacement for this game for UofL in 2024. IU was signaling their desire to cancel all 3 games after IU’s disastrous 2021 and in the middle of the 2022 season, but only the 2025 game at IU could be cancelled without penalty due to the two year notice requirement.

I have heard reports that UofL’s longtime rival (Cincinnati) was approached during last December’s Fenway Bowl. UC was very interested but unable to shift their 2024 non-conference schedule.

A big victory over Louisville on Saturday, would boost attendance moving forward. It would show the true potential of this team.

Beat Louisville and a bowl game is likely along with better attendance.
Let's get that done and see what happens.

Reactions: td75
Louisville fan here. This sucks. I hate that programs are only looking at dollars instead of fan interest. It's a shame that with two programs so close together it's not already a yearly contest. Louisville fans would enjoy riding up to Bloomington and I think IU fans would enjoy coming to Louisville and do the Bourbon Trail and other stuff. But instead our administrations would rather us sit and watch us play podunk U at home.

Louisville fan here. This sucks. I hate that programs are only looking at dollars instead of fan interest. It's a shame that with two programs so close together it's not already a yearly contest. Louisville fans would enjoy riding up to Bloomington and I think IU fans would enjoy coming to Louisville and do the Bourbon Trail and other stuff. But instead our administrations would rather us sit and watch us play podunk U at home.
Based on ticket sales for this weekend, I'm not sure there's quite the interest that you think...or that I would have expected. BTW, I've heard rumors that UL has sold more tickets than IU, which is embarrassing for a game in Indy.

i'll take a guaranteed marquee non conf opponent, who will be a home game half the time, over a possible/maybe marquee opponent, who is never a home game, literally every time.

only an idiot, or someone shilling for the administration, would do otherwise.

a sure game against another major school that is a home game half the time, always trumps one in the bush that's never guaranteed, realized less than half the time, and literally never a home game.

and playing major school non conf opponents doesn't disqualify IU from bowl games in the slightest.

it's really sad that administration lackeys dominate the board with this non stop crap, and really sad that the administration constantly makes decisions that they feel requires a social media army of lackeys to stand up for decisions that benefit only the administration, and constantly give the finger to the fan who's financing everything.

if you want guaranteed wins go watch fake pro wrestling, and leave real sports to those who want real games between schools of similar throw weight.
It isn't the administration's fault, or mine, that you are blind to the standing of the program.

Go ahead and explain how IU as a program benefited from losing to Cincinnati twice in the last two years if marquee opponents are so great. Point to a single material benefit IU received from losing twice. I'll wait.

It isn't the administration's fault, or mine, that you are blind to the standing of the program.

Go ahead and explain how IU as a program benefited from losing to Cincinnati twice in the last two years if marquee opponents are so great. Point to a single material benefit IU received from losing twice. I'll wait.

playing two games against a worthy non conf opponent for the benefit of the fans and both rosters is a definite benefit.

which also positively impacts tv contracts for both the B10 and UC, which is another benefit to the schools.

football games against a worthy opponent are in of themselves of great worth, win or lose.

that you see good only in winning, is a "you" problem.

and definitely a problem.

Last edited:

So the response to failing the test is to take an easier one (or an easier class)?

I hate it as well, but our schedule is simply brutal and has been for some time.

Based on ticket sales for this weekend, I'm not sure there's quite the interest that you think...or that I would have expected. BTW, I've heard rumors that UL has sold more tickets than IU, which is embarrassing for a game in Indy.

no one has brought this up yet, and i've bit my tongue for 2 weeks, but PU had a better crowd for a noon kick off vs Fresno State who brought virtually no one, than IU did for a 3:30 kick vs highly ranked OSU.

and let's do the math here,

say IU had 40,000 for OSU, which is probably more than being generous. (probably more like 37,000 tops actual attendance).

say 11,000 IU students attended, 10,000 OSU fans, (probably actually more OSU fans than that), and say 5,000 youth tics.

that leaves maybe 15-16 thousand tops IU adults in attendance, and probably less than that.

IU has flat priced a huge part of their base out of the market, and what other markets get is totally meaningless in this market.

and spare me the winning thing.

IU has struggled in the W-L column my whole life, and i saw my first game in 10th St Stadium and attended almost every game in the early mid 60s after the new MS was built.

IU was doing much better in attendance in the early 60s coming off probation and pre Gonso/Iso/Butcher, and always full for OSU and literally sold out every yr for PU, when the population of the area was a third of what it is now.

we sell less tickets today than when the area population was a third of what it is now, and IU Btown had 10,000 less students.

dwell on that for a minute. less or similar attendance now than when the area had a third of the population it does today, and 10,000 less IU Btown students.

and the program then was no better than now, so spare me the BS that this is just about winning..

in any other business, everybody on the administration side would be fired for such results.

here, nobody cares, because the TV money is guaranteed even though no one here had anything to do with generating a cent of that.

there is no excuse for the administration not doing more to increase attendance, which has just killed recruiting for decades ten times more than facilities or coaches ever have.

the IU Corporation would have much preferred to have sold literally every seat to an OSU fan at premium prices, than do anything to bring in IU fans, even though it's swimming in money to the point of going Brewster's Millions on spending on opulance.

that in a nutshell says how we got where we are, and stayed there decade after decade.

Last edited:
To get better, you need more talent.
To get more talent, you need to win more.
To win more, you need to schedule winnable games.

This isn't ****ing difficult, at all. If banging your head against the wall endlessly and losing to strong programs over and over and over again was the key to building a successful football program, then Indiana would be a powerhouse by now. Recruits want to play for winners, not lovable losers.

IT DOES NOT WORK, this is not debatable. And if you think it is, point me to one ****ing CFB program with Indiana's kind of history that developed into any kind of consistent winner by going 4-8 and 5-7 year after year after year, never having any success to sell recruits on, but playing difficult teams and losing to them all the time.

no one has brought this up yet, and i've bit my tongue for 2 weeks, but PU had a better crowd for a noon kick off vs Fresno State who brought virtually no one, than IU did for a 3:30 kick vs highly ranked OSU.

and let's do the math here,

say IU had 40,000 for OSU, which is probably more than being generous. (probably more like 37,000 tops actual attendance).

say 11,000 IU students attended, 10,000 OSU fans, (probably actually more OSU fans than that), and say 5,000 youth tics.

that leaves maybe 15-16 thousand tops IU adults in attendance, and probably less than that.

IU has flat priced a huge part of their base out of the market, and what other markets get is totally meaningless in this market.

and spare me the winning thing.

IU has struggled in the W-L column my whole life, and i saw my first game in 10th St Stadium and attended almost every game in the early mid 60s after the new MS was built.

IU was doing much better in attendance in the early 60s coming off probation and pre Gonso/Iso/Butcher, and always full for OSU and literally sold out every yr for PU, when the population of the area was a third of what it is now.

we sell less tickets today than when the area population was a third of what it is now, and IU Btown had 10,000 less students.

and the program then was no better than now, so spare me the BS that this is just about winning..

in any other business, everybody on the administration side would be fired for such results.

here, nobody cares, because the TV money is guaranteed even though no one here had anything to do with generating a cent of that.

there is no excuse for the administration not doing more to increase attendance, which has just killed recruiting for decades ten times more than facilities or coaches have.

the IU Corporation would have much preferred to have sold every seat to an OSU fan at premium prices, than do anything to bring in IU fans, even though it's swimming in money to the point of going Brewster's Millions on spending on opulance.

that in a nutshell says how we got where we are, and stayed there decade after decade.
Where are you getting your estimates of how many people from each group were there? lol

Pulling it out of your ass right?

That was the smallest OSU crowd in 30 years.

Attendance was 50,000. You can look that stuff up ya know?

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Where are you getting your estimates of how many people from each group were there? lol

Pulling it out of your ass right?

That was the smallest OSU crowd in 30 years.

Attendance was 50,000. You can look that stuff up ya know?

i saw the stadium from all angles, actual attendance was closer to 37,000-40,000 tops, than 50,000.

the 11,000 IU students i got from last yrs student sales.

youth attendance was figuring one youth for every 3 adults, but no doubt IU has that exact number if you wish to question them.

the OSU fan attendance was just a guess, and you are welcome to venture your own guess on that.

even if the OSU contribution was half that, it's still probably 20,000 IU adult tics tops, and i'm guessing the OSU contribution likely wasn't just 5,000.

don't shoot the messenger.

unlike many, i'm not here to shill for the administration.

Last edited:
Bell screwed up and it wasn't a good look. I hope against Michigan and PSU Bell runs the regular offense at a slow pace and have confidence IU OL can block.

Last edited:
i saw the stadium from all angles, actual attendance was closer to 37,000-40,000 tops, than 50,000.

the 11,000 IU students i got from last yrs student sales.

youth attendance was figuring one youth for every 3 adults, but no doubt IU has that exact number if you wish to question them.

the OSU fan attendance was just a guess, and you are welcome to venture your own guess on that.

even if the OSU contribution was half that, it's still probably 20,000 IU adult tics tops, and i'm guessing the OSU contribution likely wasn't just 5,000.

don't shoot the messenger.

unlike many, i'm not here to shill for the administration.
So you don’t trust IU! to give an accurate attendance overall but you’ll suggest I check with them about youth attendance?

Your conspiracy theories aren’t healthy.

Were you AT the game?

So you don’t trust IU! to give an accurate attendance overall but you’ll suggest I check with them about youth attendance?

Your conspiracy theories aren’t healthy.

Were you AT the game?

i still have the game replay on the DVR.

but then you can go all "who you gonna believe, the administration or your own eyes".

you can see the stadium attendance much better from the tv views, than you can from the stadium seats.

you always can.

sorry if the truth isn't what people want to here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT