ADVERTISEMENT

Is it time to stick a fork in DeSantis?

Domestic travel is not an indication of a happy life.

How are your kids?

How is your spouse?

Do you have anyone in your life that you care about more than you care about yourself? Anyone that cares about you in that way?

Do you know my friend Joe?
Galapagos count? Caymans? Yes I have multiple people I care about and who care about me, both friends and family. Honestly can’t imagine being much happier. But thanks for your concern. Now let’s hear about your happy life… since you present as a 90 year old grouch.

Last edited:
He didn't really answer Tapper's questions, and when Tapper pointed out that Jack Smith prosecuted two Dem politicians (Menendez and Edwards) prior to his current role of prosecuting Trump, (which DeSantis idiotically claims is politically motivated) DeSantis ignored that inconvenient fact. He launched into some nonsense babble about "going after your political opponents" when he has no actual basis to even define Smith's political affiliation. He then compounds that with more babble about "stretching statutes"...

A weird line of criticism considering how dedicated DeSantis has been in going after his political opponents, and businesses and schools who don't fall in line with his authoritarian measures. I guess Ron will be able to go back to screwing up FL by this time next year, since he conspired with his cronies in the Legislature to change FL law so he wouldn't be unemployed after he loses...

It appears he may be trying to help out some of the actors on strike, by hiring them to appear to be lone protestors at some of his events. I can't even fathom the reason someone would appear at a DeSantis event and issue a threat towards "kids". But it sure gives Ron the opportunity to give the same nearly identical reaction/speech for a new crowd...

But hey if it gives his craziness exposure to a wider audience, then I'm for it. Especially when it allows someone like General Hertling to demolish his anti-woke nonsense so brilliantly...

People are writing him off way too soon

Could just be me, but it seems like the more known DeSantis becomes, the less people like him.
I've been following DeSantis since he first ran for governor against Gillum. Something seems off. I don't know if it's his emotional affect or if he even experiences much in the way of emotion. He always seems to be in some kind of an intense, almost robotic, overdrive mode. The smiles look fake and he doesn't seem real.

He has impressive academic credentials, he's articulate and I'm sure he's extremely intelligent, but I'm not sure the common sense circuit is fully functioning. His focus on the woke/culture wars stuff is not a winning strategy for a national campaign. His small-dollars donor ratio is near the bottom of all the Republican presidential hopefuls, and I think his political career has already peaked.

Could just be me, but it seems like the more known DeSantis becomes, the less people like him.
Desantis definitely does not have a likeable personality.

Candidates like Reagan and Bill Clinton (not Hillary) would listen to an adverse question, smile, crack a joke or pleasantry and then turn the question to their advantage with a response that totally disguised any internal animosity they may have toward the questioner. Desantis can't do that.

Desantis also has a laundry problem. He's still trying to wear Trump's old shirttails that helped Desantis get elected governor in the first place. Everybody can see that Trump's old shirts no longer fit Desantis, and he has not yet replaced them with something of his own.

Reactions: Bowlmania
Possibly
Desantis definitely does not have a likeable personality.

Candidates like Reagan and Bill Clinton (not Hillary) would listen to an adverse question, smile, crack a joke or pleasantry and then turn the question to their advantage with a response that totally disguised any internal animosity they may have toward the questioner. Desantis can't do that.

Desantis also has a laundry problem. He's still trying to wear Trump's old shirttails that helped Desantis get elected governor in the first place. Everybody can see that Trump's old shirts no longer fit Desantis, and he has not yet replaced them with something of his own.
Desantis served his country and has an Ivy League education- he’s not dumb by any stretch. But he seems to be trying to get to the right of Trump, which I think is not bright. At some point the GOP needs to accept that Trump is too far right for the general election. The centrists gave his populist message a chance in 2016- we all know now he’s not a good president. The country just needs Biden or Trump to drop in the next 15 months. DeSantis is losing his large money donors- the bloom is off DeSantis

Perhaps for future national office, but DeSalestax is done for '24. Paleocons, Libertarians, and Alt-Right understand the big-money establishment behind him, and continue to move away.
Trump support remains broad and deep since 2016.
Trump supporters would have given DeS every opportunity to earn their trust - After PDJT .....after '24.
He got greedy and let the wrong people into his management and trust.

Perhaps for future national office, but DeSalestax is done for '24. Paleocons, Libertarians, and Alt-Right understand the big-money establishment behind him, and continue to move away.
Trump support remains broad and deep since 2016.
Trump supporters would have given DeS every opportunity to earn their trust - After PDJT .....after '24.
He got greedy and let the wrong people into his management and trust.
I don’t take any polling 6 months before a primary seriously

I don’t take any polling 6 months before a primary seriously
I don't either, so forget the polling. Look at the other critical factors. He's laying off staffers left and right. His small-dollars donors - - the people who vote - - are disappearing and there seems to be little enthusiasm for his campaign. As discussed earlier, he's got no charisma. Finally, why vote for Trump Lite when you can have the real thing? All of these things are badly hurting him.

Maybe he'll have a chance again in 2028, but he won't be coming off a landslide Republican win in a heretofore purple state like he is this time around. Momentum is a fleeting thing. When it's gone it's tough to get it back.

Possibly

Desantis served his country and has an Ivy League education- he’s not dumb by any stretch. But he seems to be trying to get to the right of Trump, which I think is not bright. At some point the GOP needs to accept that Trump is too far right for the general election. The centrists gave his populist message a chance in 2016- we all know now he’s not a good president. The country just needs Biden or Trump to drop in the next 15 months. DeSantis is losing his large money donors- the bloom is off DeSantis
Trump is further left than the majority of the GOP's sitting Senators.

Maybe, since he's got a lot of money... But the debate will be crucial for him, and (not sure if you remember it or not) I was talking about his weakness as a national campaigner and his lack of personality and inability to deal with a hostile press, long before he even announced. It's one thing to hold press conferences/victory laps in a controlled environment in a room full of supporters in FL. But being told you have to remember to smile and seem likable- that's not exactly Charisma...

He really hasn't proven anything. He was languishing in 3rd place in the GOP Primary for Governor in 2018, before he sucked up to Trump and got an endorsement that boosted him to the nomination. He barely beat Gillum,then won what he decided was a resounding victory over worn out Crist in the 2022 race. But the Dem party in FL is not representative of the National Dem party.

What RD never mentions about his race is that less people (specifically less Dems voted in FL in 2022, than in 2018. However that didn't necessarily mean they voted for DeSantis. Crist got nearly 1 million less votes than Gillum in 2018, but DeSanti's 2022 total only increased by 500,000. And there was a 3rd party cnadidate who got 100,000 votes in 2018, so clearly a lot of Dems just didn't bother to vote in 2022 in FL...

A study just released this week studied covid deaths in Ohio and FL between Red and Blue counties from March 2020 thru Dec 2021. Interestingly enough they discovered that when there was no vaccine there was no gap, but after the vaccine became widespread they discovered that there was a higher excess mortality rate between Red and Blue counties in both states, although it was more pronouned in Ohio. FL was also a state where the mortality rate increased after the vaccine was widely available in the study which used 5/1/21 as the date between the 2 phases.

Here is a copy of the study and the metrics...

Now this is where DeSantis becomes vulnerable over his covid policy...It could even hurt him with people who are inclined to view him as the anti-vax warrior, the image he seeks to foster. The truth is Ron was initially very pro-vaccine, and even courted controversy over his desire to insure certain populations had access to it first...

We discussed it on this very board, the way Ron made sure that Publix (who happens to be a huge campaign contributor) was given exclusive access to distribute the vaccine initially. There was also controversy over the fact that certain wealthy donor class citizens seemed to be able to bypass more at risk populations. Don't need to rehash those issues, but the point is that DeSantis started out VERY pro-vaccine...

That sentiment continued from May 1 2021 (when the vaccine became widespreadly available) until July 2021.
Up until that point FL was a leader in the vaccine crusade, and actually led the country in vaccine rates.

However by July 2021, the vaccine had become a political football, and after sticking his finger up to gauge the political winds DeSantis stopped promoting the vaccine and basically did a 180 on the importance of preventing covid.. Consequently FL's vaccination rates fell and the vax rates of younger adults dropped below the national average,

Consequently when the Delta variant hit FL was extremely vulnerable. FL was the state hit hardest by Delta with 23,000 Floridians ( 9000 younger than 65) dying from the deadly variant.. From July 2021 -Oct 2021, FL represented 14% of covid deaths, despite only comprising 7% of the US population.

And yes the stats are age adjusted, and while it's true that FL is probably the oldest state (population wise) that fact was also true in the period up to July 2021, when FL's death rate was below states like CA and NY, and FL did not lead the nation in covid deaths like they did post July 2021...So clearly someting in FL changed post May 2021, and coincidentally enough that was the same period of time when DeSantis flip flopped on the vaccine.

The DeSantis flip flop shows up early in this video...

Possibly

Too far right? lmao

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Maybe, since he's got a lot of money... But the debate will be crucial for him, and (not sure if you remember it or not) I was talking about his weakness as a national campaigner and his lack of personality and inability to deal with a hostile press, long before he even announced. It's one thing to hold press conferences/victory laps in a controlled environment in a room full of supporters in FL. But being told you have to remember to smile and seem likable- that's not exactly Charisma...

He really hasn't proven anything. He was languishing in 3rd place in the GOP Primary for Governor in 2018, before he sucked up to Trump and got an endorsement that boosted him to the nomination. He barely beat Gillum,then won what he decided was a resounding victory over worn out Crist in the 2022 race. But the Dem party in FL is not representative of the National Dem party.

What RD never mentions about his race is that less people (specifically less Dems voted in FL in 2022, than in 2018. However that didn't necessarily mean they voted for DeSantis. Crist got nearly 1 million less votes than Gillum in 2018, but DeSanti's 2022 total only increased by 500,000. And there was a 3rd party cnadidate who got 100,000 votes in 2018, so clearly a lot of Dems just didn't bother to vote in 2022 in FL...

A study just released this week studied covid deaths in Ohio and FL between Red and Blue counties from March 2020 thru Dec 2021. Interestingly enough they discovered that when there was no vaccine there was no gap, but after the vaccine became widespread they discovered that there was a higher excess mortality rate between Red and Blue counties in both states, although it was more pronouned in Ohio. FL was also a state where the mortality rate increased after the vaccine was widely available in the study which used 5/1/21 as the date between the 2 phases.

Now this is where DeSantis becomes vulnerable over his covid policy...It could even hurt him with people who are inclined to view him as the anti-vax warrior, the image he seeks to foster. The truth is Ron was initially very pro-vaccine, and even courted controversy over his desire to insure certain populations had access to it first...

We discussed it on this very board, the way Ron made sure that Publix (who happens to be a huge campaign contributor) was given exclusive access to distribute the vaccine initially. There was also controversy over the fact that certain wealthy donor class citizens seemed to be able to bypass more at risk populations. Don't need to rehash those issues, but the point is that DeSantis started out VERY pro-vaccine...

That sentiment continued from May 1 2021 (when the vaccine became widespreadly available) until July 2021.
Up until that point FL was a leader in the vaccine crusade, and actually led the country in vaccine rates.

However by July 2021, the vaccine had become a political football, and after sticking his finger up to gauge the political winds DeSantis stopped promoting the vaccine and basically did a 180 on the importance of preventing covid.. Consequently FL's vaccination rates fell and the vax rates of younger adults dropped below the national average,

Consequently when the Delta variant hit FL was extremely vulnerable. FL was the state hit hardest by Delta with 23,000 Floridians ( 9000 younger than 65) dying from the deadly variant.. From July 2021 -Oct 2021, FL represented 14% of covid deaths, despite only comprising 7% of the US population.

And yes the stats are age adjusted, and while it's true that FL is probably the oldest state (population wise) that fact was also true in the period up to July 2021, when FL's death rate was below states like CA and NY, and FL did not lead the nation in covid deaths like they did post July 2021...So clearly someting in FL changed post May 2021, and coincidentally enough that was the same period of time when DeSantis flip flopped on the vaccine.

I wouldn’t want to count on DeSantis turning things around via debates. I watched his debate against Gillum and came away thinking he was just awful. IMO, he was so bad that I thought Gillum had a real shot to win that election. Gillum, a crackhead.

Reactions: cosmickid
Oh, so he suddenly went from giving huge chunks of money to the Clintons to a far-righty?

You believe in unicorns, don't you?
Of course he did. Where have you been? He doesn’t have many true beliefs. He became a wing nut so he could win over all the wing nuts like you. He knew he could never win the Democratic nomination.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
Of course he did. Where have you been? He doesn’t have many true beliefs. He became a wing nut so he could win over all the wing nuts like you. He knew he could never win the Democratic nomination.
No true beliefs? I thought he's supposed to be a far right-winger?

Can't you make up your mind?

No true beliefs? I thought he's supposed to be a far right-winger?

Can't you make up your mind?
You should hang it up for the night, because if you aren’t drunk you sure are acting like it.

Reactions: MrBing

Too early for most polls. Especially national polling. Some states don’t have party registration and open primaries. Biden was polling under 10% for a long time

Reactions: snarlcakes and DANC
Not sure he's right. I'm very conflicted on this subject. But I think it's great that he's bringing it into the national conversation:

Yes. Opioids. Mental health issues. Exacerbating homelessness and criminal behavior. Desantis is such a bright guy. And a doer. And young. I don’t understand why he can’t say “we’re facing a homeless epidemic in cities nationwide” instead of “…. we see in liberal cities.” It isn’t helpful. It’s divisive and causes people to dig their heels in or lash out.

Yes. Opioids. Mental health issues. Exacerbating homelessness and criminal behavior. Desantis is such a bright guy. And a doer. And young. I don’t understand why he can’t say “we’re facing a homeless epidemic in cities nationwide” instead of “…. we see in liberal cities.” It isn’t helpful. It’s divisive and causes people to dig their heels in or lash out.
Especially since he doesn't need to say it. The people he's worried about attracting with that language already have preconceived notions about cities being all liberal anyway.

Maybe we need to go into political consulting for these guys. Could help fund the Nigerian biz and maybe if we do a good enough job, one of us can get appointed US ambassador to Nigeria!

Dibs.

• Love
Reactions: mcmurtry66
Especially since he doesn't need to say it. The people he's worried about attracting with that language already have preconceived notions about cities being all liberal anyway.

Maybe we need to go into political consulting for these guys. Could help fund the Nigerian biz and maybe if we do a good enough job, one of us can get appointed US ambassador to Nigeria!

Dibs.
Project number 8. Booked. Look for a google meet invite

• Haha
Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
Also, just figured out McM's real name:

A man orders a $54.75 drink — and gets it for free.

Andrew Chifari really loves his coffee. Last May, he set out to order the world's largest Starbucks drink ever, which turned out to include 60 shots of espresso plus mocha, white mocha, caramel, hazelnut, and protein powder in a 128-ounce glass. The whopper would have cost him $54.75, but because he's a Starbucks Gold member, he scored it for free. Go big or go home, right?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT