ADVERTISEMENT

Is it time to stick a fork in DeSantis?

cosmickid

Hall of Famer
Oct 23, 2009
This is about to get ugly, to the point of whether Ron will even bother to announce...

Keep in mind, this is Florida, supposedly Ron's home turf. Talk about being backed into a corner...

The next step is beyond predictable. Trump starts truthing or just hits the social media platforms urging his supporters to wear Trump gear to DeSantis events. It starts to be a daily occurrence, and every time it happens it garners 1 Million + views, just like this tweet.

What does Ron do? Keep up his insane policy of blocking Trump supporters and giving Trump free publicity and creating his own PR nightmare in the process?

Or does he start allowing these vocal and demonstrative Trump clowns into his "events" and end up in front of crowds heckling him and in time outnumbering his own supporters?

Even Fox can't help him out of this one, even though they are desperately trying...

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
This is about to get ugly, to the point of whether Ron will even bother to announce...

Keep in mind, this is Florida, supposedly Ron's home turf. Talk about being backed into a corner...

The next step is beyond predictable. Trump starts truthing or just hits the social media platforms urging his supporters to wear Trump gear to DeSantis events. It starts to be a daily occurrence, and every time it happens it garners 1 Million + views, just like this tweet.

What does Ron do? Keep up his insane policy of blocking Trump supporters and giving Trump free publicity and creating his own PR nightmare in the process?

Or does he start allowing these vocal and demonstrative Trump clowns into his "events" and end up in front of crowds heckling him and in time outnumbering his own supporters?

Even Fox can't help him out of this one, even though they are desperately trying...

Dems should love trump. He’s the gift that keeps on giving to guarantee Dem victories

I don't disagree but why is he still viable? Why do so many Republicans still love him?
that's a complicated question. why he is still appealing depends on the person he appeals to. for a large swath of voters, and for different reasons, he struck a nerve that other politicians haven't. i like Appalachia. i was watching a documentary on one of the counties there. i think it was the same county where a dirty judge had approved like all but one social security disability claim since he became an alj. anyway these poor country folks were going on and on about how much they love trump. it's counterintuitive in light of his NY charmed life - but these people felt the country had left them behind and trump was their guy to "make america great again."

He's done but he has to announce. He already killed his 2028 chances. Only way he doesn't is if the FL legislature refuses to change the resign to run law.

I knew it would happen but I'm honestly pretty surprised at how quickly Trump ended his career. Ron should've listened.

He's done but he has to announce. He already killed his 2028 chances. Only way he doesn't is if the FL legislature refuses to change the resign to run law.

I knew it would happen but I'm honestly pretty surprised at how quickly Trump ended his career. Ron should've listened.
No Dbm. Ron has proven an excellent gov. Trump a lunatic conspiracy liar. It’s people like you that will guarantee a Dem victory. I just don’t get it

Reactions: NPT and MrBing
that's a complicated question. why he is still appealing depends on the person he appeals to. for a large swath of voters, and for different reasons, he struck a nerve that other politicians haven't. i like Appalachia. i was watching a documentary on one of the counties there. i think it was the same county where a dirty judge had approved like all but one social security disability claim since he became an alj. anyway these poor country folks were going on and on about how much they love trump. it's counterintuitive in light of his NY charmed life - but these people felt the country had left them behind and trump was their guy to "make america great again."
I get that appeal - - in 2016. But seven years later, after all his shit including the dismal performances of his hand-picked candidates in key states, I don't get it.

Reactions: MrBing

DBM seriously. you have to think. you know trump's base, 35% or whatever, isn't enough to win another election. he's already proven that. dems will come out of the woodwork to beat him, and pubs like aloha and twenty and i will stay home. and forget independents. trump has zero chance. zero. biden, harris, stay at home pete, the stupid squad with aoc and cori bush, and their ridiculous policies will win again if you support trump. why would you risk that? why would you give these dolts another bite at the apple? you're cutting our nose off to spite our face supporting trump

I get that appeal - - in 2016. But seven years later, after all his shit including the dismal performances of his hand-picked candidates in key states, I don't get it.
i think today that those same people liked what trump was doing - questioning things, talking about bringing back manufacturing, not being the cop to the world, on and on, and that he was on the right track then covid derailed him. and in that way trump got cheated. then the woke cult came which really pisses this same voting bloc off, and desantis , while fighting the woke wars, hasn't captured that same trump excitement with that population re making america great again.

the party is going to be in bad shape until trump is out for good

• Haha
Reactions: IU_Hickory
DBM seriously. you have to think. you know trump's base, 35% or whatever, isn't enough to win another election. he's already proven that. dems will come out of the woodwork to beat him, and pubs like aloha and twenty and i will stay home. and forget independents. trump has zero chance. zero. biden, harris, stay at home pete, the stupid squad with aoc and cori bush, and their ridiculous policies will win again if you support trump. why would you risk that? why would you give these dolts another bite at the apple? you're cutting our nose off to spite our face supporting trump
+11 from far left Yougov.

Have you ever disliked someone so much that it caused you to make decisions that maybe weren't in your best interests because you know how much the person you dislike would dislike those decisions? I think some of it is on that level.

There is a visceral dislike of the "elite" in both parties, particularly the Democrats, that some folks have and the biggest middle finger to those people is Donald Trump (in the minds of his supporters). I think we too often go looking for complex answers to questions when a simple one suffices.

Have you ever disliked someone so much that it caused you to make decisions that maybe weren't in your best interests because you know how much the person you dislike would dislike those decisions? I think some of it is on that level.

There is a visceral dislike of the "elite" in both parties, particularly the Democrats, that some folks have and the biggest middle finger to those people is Donald Trump (in the minds of his supporters). I think we too often go looking for complex answers to questions when a simple one suffices.
True too

Maybe the simple answer is that there are way too many simpletons in the party.

Maybe the simple answer is that there are way too many simpletons in the party.
That is true of all of the parties because there are a bunch of "simpletons" in the U.S.

Beyond Trump, it isn't like there isn't some merit to the beef his supporters have.

That is the part I'll never understand.
And how he came to be the face of the opposition to the elite will forever be a mystery to me. The guy is pretty much the definition of "elite" - - born with a silver spoon in his mouth, Ivy-educated, inherited massive wealth, never got his hands dirty, etc. And a manly-man? Sure. Guy dyes his hair yellow and wears bronzer.

Oh, yeah- - he was going to drain the swamp. He filled it, and brought corruption to the White House like nobody's ever seen before.

Sure there's some merit there, but the point is there are other options/alternatives.
I believe that, the problem is that they don't. And frankly there are a bunch of Bernie bro types on the other side who feel similar about their options.

I believe that, the problem is that they don't. And frankly there are a bunch of Bernie bro types on the other side who feel similar about their options.
Ok, now you're going off the rails with a false equivalence.

The Dem Party has a shitload of problems, but there's no equivalence with respect to the Trump problem. Trump is a wrecking ball - - to his own party. I said this yesterday but I'll say it again. He's a two-time popular vote loser. He cost his party the Senate in 2020 and 2022. He cost them big gains in the House. A guy who's older than dirt beat him in 2020. He's under criminal investigation in multiple jurisdictions. Two of his companies were convicted of 17 felonies a couple of months ago. He's unelectable and a loser. He should've been kicked to the curb by the party a long time ago, but he's got a cult following that just won't let go. It makes zero sense.

Ok, now you're going off the rails with a false equivalence.

The Dem Party has a shitload of problems, but there's no equivalence with respect to the Trump problem. Trump is a wrecking ball - - to his own party. I said this yesterday but I'll say it again. He's a two-time popular vote loser. He cost his party the Senate in 2020 and 2022. He cost them big gains in the House. A guy who's older than dirt beat him in 2020. He's under criminal investigation in multiple jurisdictions. Two of his companies were convicted of 17 felonies a couple of months ago. He's unelectable and a loser. He should've been kicked to the curb by the party long time ago, but he's got a cult following that just won't let go. It makes zero sense.
We'll see how things play out. I think those who really dislike Trump tend to overplay his significance and those who really like him tend to undervalue his issues.

He isn't my choice but the long knives are already out for the guy who has a chance to beat him. Trump got talked up by the media in 2016 because they thought Hillary was a shoe in against him. I get the impression we are about to see something similar with DeSantis. He is viewed as more of a threat so he will be "worse than Trump!!!!!" If we get a replay of 2020 and things are on this same path, you have to really hope all of dbm's polls are way off again.

Reactions: Spartans9312
Sure there's some merit there, but the point is there are other options/alternatives.
Must be someone who isn't a career politician and is super rich so they can't be bought. Really no one else fits the bill.

And part of Trump's support on the right is because he's so hated on the left. It's like when Bob Knight was our coach and all the opposing fans despised him. Meant to most here that he must be doing something really well. At the same time opposing fans all loved Davis, Crean, and Archie and wanted them given lifetime contracts. That means they suck.

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC and Crayfish57
And part of Trump's support on the right is because he's so hated on the left.
You could say the same about Nixon, but eventually the right saw the light.

Must be someone who isn't a career politician and is super rich so they can't be bought.
Rich guys can be bought.

But if you want to go rich, how about Elon?! If elected, he can truly rule the world. Oh, wait. The place of birth issue. Never mind.

I suspect there are as many racist Dems. Just different targets.
Debatable. But the truth is Trump jumped into the arena saying Obama wasn't born in the US. It was a very transparent racist attack aimed at getting support from a particular audience. And it worked. The bigger problem for the Republican Party is the leadership chose not to disavow the racism. They felt it was working and they could afford to ignore it and let Trump take the heat, while they benefitted from the trashing of Obama. But Trump got too powerful, so now it's a problem. They can't get away from Trump and he's destroying the Republican Party. Racism and ignorance.

Debatable. But the truth is Trump jumped into the arena saying Obama wasn't born in the US. It was a very transparent racist attack aimed at getting support from a particular audience. And it worked. The bigger problem for the Republican Party is the leadership chose not to disavow the racism. They felt it was working and they could afford to ignore it and let Trump take the heat, while they benefitted from the trashing of Obama. But Trump got too powerful, so now it's a problem. They can't get away from Trump and he's destroying the Republican Party. Racism and ignorance.
Yeah I disagree. I don’t think racism is the issue. That wasn’t going to be his path to victory or demise anyway. It’s losing white republicans and independents through his ineptitude, conspiracy bs, post election behavior with bogus lawsuits and rudy, and fatigue of his narcissism and the company of clowns he keeps

I think you're on to something here. For a large part of middle-America - the Appalachian area you mentioned included - once you're 'their guy' there is a level of loyalty that's hard to shake. That goes across political spectrums/aisles too. James Traficant served 9 terms as a Democrat from Youngstown, Ohio. He was as dirty as they come - and actually was expelled from Congress due to federal corruption charges - but he kept getting reelected prior to that.

Trump tapped into that populist sentiment where enough people thought (think?) that he's fighting for the unspoken majority.

Must be someone who isn't a career politician and is super rich so they can't be bought. Really no one else fits the bill.

And part of Trump's support on the right is because he's so hated on the left. It's like when Bob Knight was our coach and all the opposing fans despised him. Meant to most here that he must be doing something really well. At the same time opposing fans all loved Davis, Crean, and Archie and wanted them given lifetime contracts. That means they suck.

Trump can't be bought?

Why then did he host a LIV golf tournament, you know, the Saudi backed tournaments, in Jersey at the protest of 9/11 survivors?

Reactions: Spartans9312
I think you're on to something here. For a large part of middle-America - the Appalachian area you mentioned included - once you're 'their guy' there is a level of loyalty that's hard to shake. That goes across political spectrums/aisles too. James Traficant served 9 terms as a Democrat from Youngstown, Ohio. He was as dirty as they come - and actually was expelled from Congress due to federal corruption charges - but he kept getting reelected prior to that.

Trump tapped into that populist sentiment where enough people thought (think?) that he's fighting for the unspoken majority.
Yeah you said it better than I. Agree

You think Trump wasn’t bought? That’s cute. Might check what happened to his family’s financials while he was in office.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT