ADVERTISEMENT

Is it time to stick a fork in DeSantis?

Both are gross to visit in the summer, but Florida is just as bad unless you are on the coasts (Atlantic side is bearable with a nice breeze). I can't find a monthly stat, but Q1 appears to be the busiest, followed by Q3.

florida-4th-qtr-2022_orig.png

They are saying water temp is 95 degrees now. That just won't bring relief from heat. Damn good thing global warming is made up, could one imagine how hot it would be if it were?

I was just reading a Frommers saying northern and central Florida are busier in the summer as families vacation, in the winter southern Florida where one can guarantee no cold. They share shoulder months of April/May and September/October.

They are saying water temp is 95 degrees now. That just won't bring relief from heat. Damn good thing global warming is made up, could one imagine how hot it would be if it were?

I was just reading a Frommers saying northern and central Florida are busier in the summer as families vacation, in the winter southern Florida where one can guarantee no cold. They share shoulder months of April/May and September/October.

Where is that? I see Tampa at 88, which is 4-5 degrees above average according to Sea Info.

Tell show us exactly how much of this global warming is caused by humans vs natural.

It's a common right wing talking point that families moved to red states 'because of lockdowns'.

Well if true than you better move fast, get your house on the market or take a penalty on your rent, box all your shit up, find a new place to live and have your children be the awkward newbies at their new school having to start their social life from scratch.

When you finish your move, the temporary lockdowns were probably over.

Speaking of school, the top states with the highest rated public school systems are majority blue states (particularly east coast) so why are you taking your kids out of better schools? That seems dumb.

Speaking of economics, blue counties make up over 70% of the US GDP. So if you're leaving for red counties, well hopefully you are able to work remotely.

Common sense is there have been recruiting tactics for red states to provide an appealing economic opportunity, which is the #1 reason why families move.

Now granted, I give the right credit on painting city life as a hell scape because you probably have a better chance of getting a conservative to move out of a liberal city than to get a liberal to move into a rural community.

Meaning yeah, there are a shit ton of liberal millennials and gen z coming through over the next two decades but, it doesn't mean much if the majority move to cities.

The popular vote could be 20 million in favor of the libs but it won't matter if cities end up having 90% of the population (it's currently around 80%)..
So your real aversion to people moving is because it can be inconvenient?

The rest of this is off topic.

Again you’re painting some caricature of an overly political dad who made a rash decision to force his wife and teenage kids into worse schools and worse job prospects because of lockdowns.

In reality the type of people with money necessary to move were probably very calculated in their decision.

Like I said in my OP the next decade will be interesting. I’m hoping the Cali, NY, IL population loss continues. It sends a strong message on poor democratic governance.

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC
Assuming Trump is right and the election was stolen from him. What is the plan to make sure it doesn’t happen again?

What is he doing in AZ, MI, PA, WI & GA to make sure Democratic operatives on the ground don’t go into their same bag of tricks?

I would like to hear an answer to this question from those who are confident he can win a General.
Republicans are talking about going all in on vote harvesting and mail-in ballots.

I think you'll see a lot more of that, but it's yet to be seen.

Where is that? I see Tampa at 88, which is 4-5 degrees above average according to Sea Info.

Tell show us exactly how much of this global warming is caused by humans vs natural.

Does it matter. If the earth is warming naturally, does it make sense for humans to add to it? I you were out working on a 100 degree day, would you want to add a heater that raises it to 101?

The scientists largely attribute 100%. I just saw an article that it is as likely that manmade is 160% as it is 50%. But let us pretend they are wrong and we are only 50%. What kind of difference can we make on that 50%?

Here is good news, if we are 100%, we can make the world a better place for your children and my grandchildren. If it is 100% natural, they have very rough times coming.

ABC News radio had that 95 degree thing this morning, didn't say where. A quick look and it is the Keys.

Does it matter. If the earth is warming naturally, does it make sense for humans to add to it? I you were out working on a 100 degree day, would you want to add a heater that raises it to 101?

The scientists largely attribute 100%. I just saw an article that it is as likely that manmade is 160% as it is 50%. But let us pretend they are wrong and we are only 50%. What kind of difference can we make on that 50%?

Here is good news, if we are 100%, we can make the world a better place for your children and my grandchildren. If it is 100% natural, they have very rough times coming.

ABC News radio had that 95 degree thing this morning, didn't say where. A quick look and it is the Keys.

you will never convince people of global warming when they believe politicians over scientists/medical professionals etc.

Given that it is better to be safe than sorry, it would be better to err on the side that humans do have an effect on global warming and do whatever helps reduce that effect.

If we are wrong then oops we have a more sustainable energy source. If they are wrong then it is a big f u to our future generations who will be the ones dealing with the worst of it.

Insurance is bolting because the surface temp of the ocean is hitting high 90's at the southern tip and overall is around 5 degrees warmer than average.

Bean counters know what a consistent rising ocean temp means for hurricane season.

Desantis said they were being woke, of course.

Again I have no idea what is ever going to convince people that we're getting consistently hotter than when what, 4 top insurance companies won't even offer any home coverage.

They know. It's not woke. That's a clown response from him (which is his go to response for everything it seems).

Put it another way, this is probably going to be one of the coolest summers over the next 25 years.
This is the kind of shit that's killing DeSantis. 75 year-old Floridians may buy into the nonsense that Farmers (and other carriers) are pulling out of Florida because the companies are "woke," but anyone with half a brain understands that insurers are in business to make money. They'd love to keep collecting premiums from Floridians but they won't underwrite if the risk is too great.

This is the kind of shit that's killing DeSantis. 75 year-old Floridians may buy into the nonsense that Farmers (and other carriers) are pulling out of Florida because the companies are "woke," but anyone with half a brain understands that insurers are in business to make money and won't underwrite if the risk is too great.

It’s happening in California too. Farmers all state state farm. There’s going to have to be a fix for this one. Not sure what

you will never convince people of global warming when they believe politicians over scientists/medical professionals etc.

Given that it is better to be safe than sorry, it would be better to err on the side that humans do have an effect on global warming and do whatever helps reduce that effect.

If we are wrong then oops we have a more sustainable energy source. If they are wrong then it is a big f u to our future generations who will be the ones dealing with the worst of it.
Who is “we?” You got a mouse in your pocket?

Say it is man made. Here is your problem:

Developing countries are responsible for 63% of total carbon emissions. The US is 13%. China and India combined are 28% of emissions with China being the bulk of that. China alone produces more carbon emissions than the US and and the EU combined.

"So what?" you will say, "We can still make an impact on our end and do what we can." OK, yes we can. However, that is where the disagreements lie. Access to energy, particularly cheap energy, is a major contributor to how "comfortable" life is for people on the planet right now. The US has made extraordinary strides to clean up our emissions. We can continue down that path and try an make an impact on global warming (something I am not convinced is wholly or even majority man made) without doing some of the drastic things being proposed. The GOP released a plan to plant more trees. Plants are the ultimate CO2 filters.

Anyways, there is always the social justice push attached to this conversation:

It isn't fair to ask the people contributing nearly 2/3 of the carbon emissions to cut back so you are only looking to reduce 1/3 of the emissions down to 1/4? The developing countries have a point as well, why should we continue to not use our resources to pull our people up as you had done? That's a fair question.

If we get clean energy to work and AGW is wrong, we are stuck with a cleaner planet. I guess that's too high price to pay, forced to have a cleaner planet against our will.

If we get it to work and AGW is correct, we have a cleaner planet and reduce warming. That seems ok to me.

What we've all become are the kids that failed the marshmallow test. Recall the old psychology experiment, kids were told they could have their favorite treat in 15 minutes, or not their favorite right now? Many kids lacked self-control. That's who we are, we lack the self-control to absorb any current pain for future gain. I know some of what people suggest is scary, and even I am not a "let's do it all and do it now" person. But the more we do, the better. It's why I support nuclear, there are concerns but it reduces AGW so we need to do it.

Just like Social Security, the sooner we dealt with the problem the less of a course correction we needed to make. It is our way not to do anything until the only option is panic. In the 1980s, Shell and Exxon both had studies showing AGW was real. Those are two companies definitely not concluding AGW is real to make more money. If we had started investing better then everything would have been easier.

Developing countries are responsible for 63% of total carbon emissions. The US is 13%. China and India combined are 28% of emissions with China being the bulk of that. China alone produces more carbon emissions than the US and and the EU combined.

"So what?" you will say, "We can still make an impact on our end and do what we can." OK, yes we can. However, that is where the disagreements lie. Access to energy, particularly cheap energy, is a major contributor to how "comfortable" life is for people on the planet right now. The US has made extraordinary strides to clean up our emissions. We can continue down that path and try an make an impact on global warming (something I am not convinced is wholly or even majority man made) without doing some of the drastic things being proposed. The GOP released a plan to plant more trees. Plants are the ultimate CO2 filters.

It isn't fair to ask the people contributing nearly 2/3 of the carbon emissions to cut back so you are only looking to reduce 1/3 of the emissions down to 1/4? The developing countries have a point as well, why should we continue to not use our resources to pull our people up as you had done? That's a fair question.

And you hit the problem. It is true that we used coal and oil to get rich, so why can't modern poor countries do that? The answer is we have to help them not. China is a tough nut, obviously, we aren't going to help China.

China and India are building nuclear plants quite rapidly. I am sure we can help India, again, no way we are helping China (not my idea, just the real politik). I suspect there are areas of Africa we could provide nuclear power to. South Africa is the only nation in Africa with nuclear power. I would think we could provide help in putting reactors in stable countries. Botswana is a very stable country, it could start exporting electricity to neighbors.

It is true, a nation that can't feed its people is going to struggle to put in solar panels. The West can find ways of helping. China and Russia jumped ahead of us on nuclear power in Africa, we are trying to catch up.

Reactions: TommyCracker
DeSantis went on Jake Tapper last night. Tapper is mostly fair compared to his CNN counter parts but still by far the most hostile interview he’s accepted since announcing. Next week he’s going on Megyn Kelly, another who will press him.

Hopefully this is a build up to taking on more hostile media hits. He is smarter than these people, he had the track record. Take the fight to them.

The next nominee will be a fighter, and Trump still is viewed as the most aggressive fighter.

Yes it matters Marvin. Otherwise you wouldn't be trying to defend how impactful humans are.

If you can only control a portion, some of the hype around global warming is overdone. Nobody can pinpoint how much is natural vs. man-made because science isn't that advanced yet. Maybe it never will be.

Promoting alphabet nonsense is stupid and a risky move by a company who relies on conservatives, not just liberals, for its customers.

While I agree it is usually a bad idea for companies to say anything political, promoting equality for all isn't nonsense. If you want to discuss nonsense, then lets discuss the don't say gay bill nonsense. Anyway, 1st amendment rights should protect Disney from revenge legislation by wannabe dictator Desantis

Hobby Lobby, Wendys, Exxon, Papa Johns, Chevron, Home Depot have all made comments and/or donations supporting conservatives. Have you moaned and groaned about them not staying out of politics?

It is a fair question until you look at the facts on the ground. If the impact of global warming is primarily on developing countries, why should the US bother to reduce its use of its resources? That's a fair question too.

The reason is we're all inhabitants of this planet, developed or not. And the warming is global . . . southwestern US, Iran, Europe, Africa . . . you name it, it's warming.

Timing may be a bitch . . . but it is what it is. There are other potential ways to compensate for the loss of development using one's own "resources". Who's to say that those are the only, cheapest "resources"? With an infrastructure based on new technologies, wouldn't the developing have a leg up on the rest of us? That may be sufficient compensation. All oil and coal do is capture energy from the sun indirectly . . . why not do that directly?

Reactions: TommyCracker

Good points, but that doesn't factor in the gross amount of overpopulation in many of these developing countries. Look at the U.S. or Russian population, for example, compared to density in Asian and African countries. It's not even comparable.

It is a fair question until you look at the facts on the ground. If the impact of global warming is primarily on developing countries, why should the US bother to reduce its use of its resources? That's a fair question too.

The reason is we're all inhabitants of this planet, developed or not. And the warming is global . . . southwestern US, Iran, Europe, Africa . . . you name it, it's warming.

Timing may be a bitch . . . but it is what it is. There are other potential ways to compensate for the loss of development using one's own "resources". Who's to say that those are the only, cheapest "resources"? With an infrastructure based on new technologies, wouldn't the developing have a leg up on the rest of us? That may be sufficient compensation. All oil and coal do is capture energy from the sun indirectly . . . why not do that directly?
Why is it such a bad thing if the earth is warming? And don't say the seas are rising - they're not.

• Haha
Reactions: Bowlmania
Wow, I hadn't thought of that. Filling the streets with Trump signs keeps the neighbors 200 miles away. Now I get the purpose of the signs. 😉

Sorry, it was too easy of a setup to resist.
i‘m glad they fly those flags. When my niece was looking at new places she wouldn’t even go in if the neighborhood had lots of Trump flags. Supposedly real estate agents even asked neighbors to take them down and gave incentives to do so.

• Haha
So your real aversion to people moving is because it can be inconvenient?

The rest of this is off topic.

Again you’re painting some caricature of an overly political dad who made a rash decision to force his wife and teenage kids into worse schools and worse job prospects because of lockdowns.

In reality the type of people with money necessary to move were probably very calculated in their decision.

Like I said in my OP the next decade will be interesting. I’m hoping the Cali, NY, IL population loss continues. It sends a strong message on poor democratic governance.
Just like all those Republican states that are the worst states to live in? And the blue states that are the best? That sends a strong message too, you know.

i‘m glad they fly those flags. When my niece was looking at new places she wouldn’t even go in if the neighborhood had lots of Trump flags. Supposedly real estate agents even asked neighbors to take them down and gave incentives to do so.
Realtors in my neighborhood who are listing a house near other houses with the Trump cult signs will try to get them to take signs down temporarily. They will offer free lawn service (mowing, tree trimming, minor landscaping) as incentives. It's worth it to the realtor, if your customers are concerned about living next to dullards.

Of course, there is a bit of an ethical issue after the home is bought, they move in, and the signs across the street come back up!

• Haha
Just like all those Republican states that are the worst states to live in? And the blue states that are the best? That sends a strong message too, you know.
What are the underlying metrics for best and worst state to live in? Seems subjective. Where you live is a matter of preference. Some might enjoy Tennessee but dislike New York for a variety of reasons.

It’s all too murky. What’s not murky is NY, CA and IL losing population while TN, TX and FL grow. Them’s just facts. Let’s hope it continues.

Realtors in my neighborhood who are listing a house near other houses with the Trump cult signs will try to get them to take signs down temporarily. They will offer free lawn service (mowing, tree trimming, minor landscaping) as incentives. It's worth it to the realtor, if your customers are concerned about living next to dullards.

Of course, there is a bit of an ethical issue after the home is bought, they move in, and the signs across the street come back up!
This is true. Whenever I drive through worst neighborhoods in Chicago you see quite a lot of Biden/ Harris signs. Democratic yard signs in my neck of the woods are a sure sign the area is a bombed out violent hellhole.

That and the folks milling in front of the liquor store at 1 PM on a Wednesday.

Whenever I drive through worst neighborhoods in Chicago you see quite a lot of Biden/ Harris signs.
That's utter BS. After an election the signs come down, unless you are in a cult. There is no Biden/Harris cult.

The Trump cult even updates their cult symbols regularly. The newest flags I have seen went from "Make America Great" to "Take Back America", or some other such drivel.

Which Trump flags do you have? I guess you had to burn your Trump/Pence ones, right?

Will never have a political sign in my yard.

Keeping neighbors as friends is important and politics is way down on my list of importance.

Last edited:
That's utter BS. After an election the signs come down, unless you are in a cult. There is no Biden/Harris cult.

The Trump cult even updates their cult symbols regularly. The newest flags I have seen went from "Make America Great" to "Take Back America", or some other such drivel.

Which Trump flags do you have? I guess you had to burn your Trump/Pence ones, right?
Sorry to say it’s not BS. Maybe more Brandon Johnson signs still up than Biden/Harris, but they’re there. Hell some even still have Obama! Can you imagine? Talk about a cult of personality for the dumb and stupid.

These people don’t even cut their lawns, much less remove signs.

They’re too lazy, which is probably why they vote D.

Reactions: jet812 and DANC

Rainbow Gay GIF by York University

Nope, your lefty cultist fly these flags all year around. They’re the mirror image of hardcore Trumpers, but not as funny. The only question is which group looks worse with very little clothing?

Rainbow Gay GIF by York University

Nope, your lefty cultist fly these flags all year around. They’re the mirror image of hardcore Trumpers, but not as funny. The only question is which group looks worse with very little clothing?
What do the arrows represent? The rainbow flag was nice, everyone likes rainbows.

These new arrows make for an optical disaster. So ugly, just like the LGBTRJfJJVFJF+-% movement has become.

A pride flag is not a Biden/Harris flag. The discussion was about this mythical unicorn neighborhood that is at the very moment, according to one of our resident Trump cultists, decorated with Biden/Harris flags.

It.
doesn't.
exist.
I take it you have no aversion to a pride flag? But you do a Trump flag….. Curious. As long as the flag represents a broader movement and not an individual politician it’s all good?

Trying to drill down on your weird obsession with flags and yard signs and how you delineate good from bad.

I’m starting to think it may all be colored by your personal politics in which case I have a suggestion:

Quit your bitching and mind your own business.

Last edited:
What do the arrows represent? The rainbow flag was nice, everyone likes rainbows.

These new arrows make for an optical disaster. So ugly, just like the LGBTRJfJJVFJF+-% movement has become.
Not sure. I just use it as a litmus test for someone’s ideology. Same as a Trump flag.

Curious. As long as the flag represents a broader movement and not an individual politician it’s all good?
No, lots of flags you might fly wouldn't reflect well on you. The flat-Earther flag. The Pedo flag. Good old stars-n-bars Confederate flag. They all represent free speech, so the last thing I would want done is to take away your right to fly them. But remember, flying them has consequences, when they make you look like a moron.

• Haha
Sorry to say it’s not BS. Maybe more Brandon Johnson signs still up than Biden/Harris, but they’re there. Hell some even still have Obama! Can you imagine? Talk about a cult of personality for the dumb and stupid.

These people don’t even cut their lawns, much less remove signs.

They’re too lazy, which is probably why they vote D.

This is true. Whenever I drive through worst neighborhoods in Chicago you see quite a lot of Biden/ Harris signs. Democratic yard signs in my neck of the woods are a sure sign the area is a bombed out violent hellhole.

That and the folks milling in front of the liquor store at 1 PM on a Wednesday.

Who are "they"? Who are "these people" and "the folks?" That's ok, no need to answer. Quite a dog whistle. Or maybe a trope. Close call.

Labor force participation for black workers is currently higher than that of white workers.

I'm assuming you're unemployed. You seem to do nothing but shitpost all day.

The June unemployment rate was 3.6% That's really low. Get a job.

• Love
Reactions: outside shooter
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT