ADVERTISEMENT

If we bring in Ledlum and Knecht and have 1 more slot open up this is the guy we Need -

You think its unreasonable to think next year's team could be more succesful than a 12-8, non BTT finalist, 2nd round loser?

Different...to be sure...but I don't think its unreasonable, at all. That would bum me out if I did. The bar isn't all that high.

Reactions: .Gerdis
I would assume our staff has reached out to both Cryer and Abmas. And we'd be insane not to pursue/take them if there was something there.

Assuming there isn't, though, X and Cupps is a very, very good PG lineup. Especially with Trey in the fold as someone that can spell either of them as well when needed.

Assuming X is healthy, he'll be one of the best PG's in the conference. And Cupps should provide a solid, floor leader type presence with his minutes. He might actually be the perfect type of PG to play when X goes on tilt from time to time.
Cryer is off the board. Committed to Houston.

Arterio Morris of Texas just hit the xfer portal. He didn't get to play much behind Carr, Rice and Hunter. Don't know if he is following Beard to Ol' Miss but would be a nice addition to replace JHS as a PG. He was the 15th rated recruit and his athleticism is impressive for 6'4" PG. From what I saw when he played, defense looked good. JHS was the 18th rated recruit. He has some domestic issue to work thru concerning his girlfriend from before his time at Texas it seems.

have you watched video of the kid? much more physical body and aggressive scorer that MK to me. Now, I guess Miller was a 16ppg scorer at NW, but this kid looks more rugged and physical on drives, and probably not as good a spot up shooter, but much better at creating his own shot.
Yeah, watch the highlights, they all look great.

Truth is: shoots 45% from the field, below 30% on 3s and below 65% of FTs

Wow! Let's throw bags of NIL money at this sharpshooter!

We could do a lot better than this....hopefully.

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
X and Cupps is a very, very good PG lineup
and if one of them gets hurt as X did this year? Ooph. Sign me up as a 3PG on the roster guy. Starter, backup, developer. Cupps as a freshman, would be the developer guy. Galloway has helped and I think actually been serviceable but still not a PG.

Reactions: 76-1
What don't you understand?

shoots 45% from the field, below 30% on 3s and below 65% of FTs

Sound like the final piece of the puzzle to you??
So if you’re not drunk, you must be stupid?

Miller Kopp, 2022–2023 stats
48% field-goal percentage

44% three point percentage

82% free throw percentage

So other than being 0-3 on the points, you were trying to make, you nailed it buddy!

So if you’re not drunk, you must be stupid?

Miller Kopp, 2022–2023 stats
48% field-goal percentage

44% three point percentage

82% free throw percentage

So other than being 0-3 on the points, you were trying to make, you nailed it buddy!
So you want to replace the guy who is leaving (Kopp) with one who is statistically worse in every shooting category (Ledlum)?

What you talkin' about Willis?

An occasional glass of wine, graduated IU in 1980.

Reactions: Wiedersehen
Chuckle... You said it couldn't be done so you back it up...

The last time I read a Letter of Intent there was nothing in there covering this...

Things have changed a bit over the past 40 years in case you haven't noticed...

Exactly what was illegal just 5 years ago is completely legal now...

It's worth the staffs time to research it if there's even a chance it's doable...
I'm not that old. I graduated in 2003. I bet the rule hasn't changed or crooked schools would have already been doing it but I don't have time to look it up.

Really hoping IU takes Timberlake. He's athletic enough to be a plus player in the Big Ten. He had defenses in the CAA gearing to shut him down. - face-guarding at times. And he still dropped 18ppg, 42 percent 3 point shooter.

It'd be fun to see what he could do as more of a role player.

Really hoping IU takes Timberlake. He's athletic enough to be a plus player in the Big Ten. He had defenses in the CAA gearing to shut him down. - face-guarding at times. And he still dropped 18ppg, 42 percent 3 point shooter.

I have not seen IU mentioned with him recently.

Well he would have to want to come and I have not seen us mentioned with him in weeks.

Reactions: kkott
Yeah, watch the highlights, they all look great.

Truth is: shoots 45% from the field, below 30% on 3s and below 65% of FTs

Wow! Let's throw bags of NIL money at this sharpshooter!

We could do a lot better than this....hopefully.
I understand your concerns. However, the two portal sites I pay attention to have him at #s 38 & 44 in the portal....pretty high. Also, a March 9th article about him said he had been contacted by UK, UCLA, OSU, Nebraska, MD, Florida, Arkansas, Oklahoma. Georgia, Xavier & Butler after jumping in the portal. Pretty good. He averaged 19 & 9 with 2 steals last year. Pretty good. 1st team all-league. Also, he was rated pretty high coming out of HS 4 years ago (#96 on 247).

He been described as a high energy tough guy. Those are traits that have been scarce the past few years.

As a practical matter, I'm not sure it is true that we can do "a lot better". Sure I'd rather have Timberlake & Knecht.....doesn't look like either is coming through that door. If we can't get either, we probably go to Option C for a pure shooter...but half of the top players are gone. I doubt we are going to get two excellent shooters who can also ball at this point.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
I'm not that old. I graduated in 2003. I bet the rule hasn't changed or crooked schools would have already been doing it but I don't have time to look it up.
Well, you might be right but, given the "Wild West" nature of NIL and recruiting today, I'd sure give the concept a hard look if I were involved at the operational end of things for IU...

I seem to recall that Letters of Intent contain the wording "non-transferable" but in the cases I'm considering, my thought was that first our guy would "ask" to be released from his scholarship (while being paid more than its actual value by a civilian NIL benefactor) and then the scholarship would be open for use as desired by the team, theoretically not aimed toward a specific individual...

Prior to all this NIL stuff I would have agreed with you that it sounds illegal and undoable but these days, I'm not so sure... Seems certainly worth looking into...

Now in my original post I did say that all this was "unlikely" to happen so I'm not so wedded to the idea that I'm going to the mat to defend it... I just thought it was a solid "out of the box" concept that's worth looking into.

Reactions: MrBing
So you want to replace the guy who is leaving (Kopp) with one who is statistically worse in every shooting category (Ledlum)?

well, if you're only going to consider guys who shot better than Miller Kopp, the field of candidates is going to be pretty small.

Ledlum is a totally different player than MK from what I've seen. As it stands right now, the roster, if you are projecting Ledlum, does look thin on 3 pt shooting. But, I believe the belief is that Ledlum will be much better on 3s here since he's not the opponents primary focus on D, and we get XJ back who has been a good 3pt shooter and we can still mine the portal to see if we can find more shooting. I heard for most of the last 2 years how it seemed most on here HATED MK because all he did was shoot 3s. Well, that's not all this guy will do!

He takes more 2s than 3s. Kopp hit .561 on 2s, CL .558. But for their careers, CL is at .520, Kopp at .434. Kopp shoots much better on 3s and at the FT line, but CL scores more pt (22.0 v. 10.6 every 40M this year), gets far more rebounds (10.5 v. 3.4), has more assists (1.8 v. 1.6), has more steals (1.9 v .9), and blocks more shots (1.3 v. .2). And CL's defensive efficiency #s are very good, Kopp's are pretty poor. Kopp does have fewer TOs (.8 v. 3.6). All #s are for 40 minutes, last year.

and if one of them gets hurt as X did this year? Ooph. Sign me up as a 3PG on the roster guy. Starter, backup, developer. Cupps as a freshman, would be the developer guy. Galloway has helped and I think actually been serviceable but still not a PG.
If X gets hurt, Ooph. Just like this year. He was the difference between B10 title contending and Final Four contending...and what we ended up doing. And while the win total might not have been more than a few games, that gap was pretty wide between what we would have been with him, and what we were without him.

And that concern is going to be there for next year as well. You're not likely to get a portal PG good enough that we wouldn't be hurt badly by another X injury. Mainly because one good enough, wouldn't want to sit behind, or even play alongside X, who will demand the ball quite a lot, and rightfully so. I think with Cupps and Galloway in the fold, we're MUCH, MUCH better served to go after athletic, scoring, shooting, wings. If they can handle the ball too, great. But I trust that Cupps could fill in adequately, if surrounded by really good wings and bigs. He's better than Smith was coming out of HS, and while Smith got exposed in a few games...wonderfully in the 17 seed game namely...he was still more than adequate as the PG of a top 20 team.

We have good ball handlers. 3 of them varying in style, but all really good.

We have good bigs. 3 of them also varying in style, but all really good.

Woody should just go get the best guards/wings he can find at this point. Ledlum, Knecht are great candidates. The FSU guy. Fill the rest of your roster with difference making wings, starter level wings. Then mold your team accordingly around what you end up with.

Not every. There's more to shooting than 3pt shots.. 56% of his shots were ATR, which he converted 60% of. 34% of his offensive possessions created FT attempts.

He's strong, he's strong with the ball and he gets into the defense and gets to the rim. There's huge value in that.

His usage factor was over 30%, but his TOs 13% .. I doubt very much you understand what that represents, so I'll explain . Non post, high volume possession users that attack the rim generally result in them having high TO rates, it's even considered an acceptable trade off.. Unless they are very solid and strong with the ball in traffic, which he is.

There's a reason why he's being recruited. If you don't understand why Ledlum is such a valued transfer, not only by IU but other major teams, you have no clue what basketball is about and should probably keep your ignorance hidden by not typing further.....

Your reasoning and knowledge can only be described as severely lacking ....

Last edited:
Not every. There's more to shooting than 3pt shots.. 56% of his shots were ATR, which he converted 60% of. 34% of his offensive possessions created FT attempts.

He's strong, he's strong with the ball and he gets into the defense and gets to the rim. There's huge value in that.

His usage factor was over 30%, but his TOs 13% .. I doubt very much you understand what that represents, so I'll explain . Non post, high volume possession users that attack the rim generally result in them having high TO rates, it's even considered an acceptable trade off.. Unless they are very solid and strong with the ball in traffic, which he is.

There's a reason why he's being recruited. If you don't understand why Ledlum is such a valued transfer, not only by IU but other major teams, you have no clue what basketball is about and should probably keep your ignorance hidden by not typing further.....

Your reasoning and knowledge can only be described as severely lacking ....
Likewise.
Please, please take your own advice and keep your ignorance hidden by never typing again.

With the Brony James circus about to descend on USC, saw that 6’4” class of ‘23 guard, Silas DeMary is seeking a release from his LOI. He’s currently ranked #57 by 24/7. No idea if IU showed interest before, but maybe now they would? ASU, NC St, Tennessee and Bama were his original other suitors.

Honestly fine with this I dont think we needed another 6'9 guy.

Joe Tipton

VCU transfer Jalen Deloach tells me he is no longer down to six schools and is now open to other programs. Previous list: Indiana, Miami, Penn State, Florida State, San Diego State, and VCU.

Kansas Jayhawks basketball team lands former Towson guard Nick Timberlake via transfer. Nick Timberlake, a 6-foot-4, 205-pound senior combo guard from Towson who entered the NCAA transfer portal on March 9, has decided to continue his basketball career at the University of Kansas
Man we had one good get but not a guard yet.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT