ADVERTISEMENT

If we bring in Ledlum and Knecht and have 1 more slot open up this is the guy we Need -

76-1

Hall of Famer
Mar 22, 2017
Indiana

A true shooting guard that can put us over the top when we need scoring...

Problem is someone else would have to go or give up their scholarship and move to temporary Walk-On status for a year in order to bring him in...

Maybe an NIL donor could pay Leal 3x the value of his actual scholarship to take a one year move to Preferred Walk-On status....???

Gunn is another possibility (and a better one) to do the same thing but also take a Red Shirt year to regain his shot and build strength...

Or..., even better, have both Leal and Gunn make the temporary move and bring in both a SG and a PF.... (the PF from VCU?),,.

Unlikely either will happen but if it did we just might have put together a Final Four Team...

Or... maybe I've miscounted and we'll still have a scholarship open after L and K..., so we'd only need one more to open up to get both Abmas SG and Deloach PF...

If that's the case I'd be greedy and still want two slots to open up which would allow us to bring in another C who would give Ware someone to go against in practice and spell him a couple of times a game to keep him at full speed...; also you have to figure that if he has a great year he's off to the NBA so having his backup ready to go would be a good thing... not to mention having all those fouls to give in Big Ten play...

Last edited:

Problem is someone else would have to go or give up their scholarship and move to temporary Walk-On status for a year in order to bring him in...

Maybe an NIL donor could pay Leal 3x the value of his actual scholarship to take a one year move to Preferred Walk-On status....???

Gunn is another possibility (and a better one) to do the same thing but also take a Red Shirt year to regain his shot and build strength...

Or..., even better, have both Leal and Gunn make the temporary move and bring in both a SG and a PF.... (the PF from VCU?),,.

Unlikely either will happen but if it did we just might have put together a Final Four Team...
He would be a tremendous get.

Or... maybe I've miscounted and we'll still have a scholarship open after L and K..., so we'd only need one more to open up to get both Abmas SG and Deloach PF...

If that's the case I'd be greedy and still want two slots to open up which would allow us to bring in another C who would give Ware someone to go against in practice and spell him a couple of times a game to keep him at full speed...; also you have to figure that if he has a great year he's off to the NBA so having his backup ready to go would be a good thing... not to mention having all those fouls to give in Big Ten play...
Slow down there Nellie. It is highly unlikely any kid ever gives up his scholly, and then you've got to sell the players you want on coming to a roster that's already pretty full. I think we could use the kid from Baylor too, but those guys are similar in size and game to X and they may not want to share the ball. They also might recognize any NBA future is at PG and not want to play as a 2. You and I may not mind a quick small backcourt with two 6'ers, but that doesn't mean the other 6'er won't.

Reactions: All4You
Slow down there Nellie. It is highly unlikely any kid ever gives up his scholly, and then you've got to sell the players you want on coming to a roster that's already pretty full. I think we could use the kid from Baylor too, but those guys are similar in size and game to X and they may not want to share the ball. They also might recognize any NBA future is at PG and not want to play as a 2. You and I may not mind a quick small backcourt with two 6'ers, but that doesn't mean the other 6'er won't.
Imo..We should pushed X out looong ago.

On3 has both of them as SF. Not how you would get both of them to IU.
Ledlum is 100% to IU
Knecht is 100% to Oregon

Still think we need another PG. Right now it is just X and Cupps.

Ledlum is 100% to IU
Knecht is 100% to Oregon

Ehh. On3 robot prediction generator. No human insider pick yet on Knecht. Ledlum at least has a contributor pick.

What am I missing on Ledlum? I see a guy who, while may have score a lot, shoots 45% from the field, below 30% on 3s and below 65% of FTs... all while playing 3 years against Ivy League competition. His one P5 competition, he was 6-18 and 2-9.

Reactions: Cutter1973

I don't believe that it's permitted for a scholarship player to give up his player to become a walk-in in order to give the scholarship to someone else.

I don't believe that it's permitted for a scholarship player to give up his player to become a walk-in in order to give the scholarship to someone else.
As I recall, RMK used to push the idea that when a school grants a scholarshiip, it should be tied up for 4 years. So if the player leaves early/doesn't graduate, the school cannot use that scholarship again until that 4 years expires. I can't recall if that would also have applied to transfers, but transfers then had a one-year waiting period before the player could play again.

Imagine the reaction that idea would get in today's world.

Ledlum is 100% to IU
Knecht is 100% to Oregon

On3 is the worst site ever and is always wrong. Knecht to Oregon is not even close to 100% 😂 he will at least visit indiana before making a decision you can bet on that

The guy is a shooting guard not a point guard but if he wanted to run point let him split time with X... Hell we had TJD bringing it up the floor at times, we could open things up to where if he finds the ball in his hands he pushes it up the floor...

If you were offered a package that paid you 3x what your Scholarship was worth you're telling me you wouldn't take it as a one year only deal (with the stipulation that you're back on scholarship the next year)...?

Ledlum is 100% to IU
Knecht is 100% to Oregon

I agree. I've thought we could use a combo guard like the player from Oral Roberts or Baylor. The problem, I would assume is, convincing one of those guys to come and play with X. Both fit the bill, but I'd assume want to play more PG to enhance NBA aspirations and that's where the rub might come in with XJ.

The guy is a shooting guard not a point guard but if he wanted to run point let him split time with X... Hell we had TJD bringing it up the floor at times, we could open things up to where if he finds the ball in his hands he pushes it up the floor...

If you were offered a package that paid you 3x what your Scholarship was worth you're telling me you wouldn't take it as a one year only deal (with the stipulation that you're back on scholarship the next year)...?
I know it makes sense to you, but that doesn't matter does it? If those guys feel like their NBA future is at PG, even if you could realistically make that happen, if they don't believe it, it doesn't matter. You act like our coaches aren't aware of our needs and aren't after these guys. That would be dumb and irresponsible. I'm saying I'll bet they've reached out and been told they don't believe IU is a good fit for them.

And, would I take an NIL deal worth 3X my scholarship (annually, or total?) ? My answer would be that depends, on what other schools are offering (remember Pack reportedly demanded a $500K minimum when he left OSU), and if I thought one opportunity might really enhance my NBA potential. A few hundred thousand in NIL is great, but a multi-million dollar NBA contract/career dwarfs that. I'd take $100K from a school I thought would help me get to the NBA before I'd take $200K for a situation I didn't believe would help me get to the NBA as much.

I'm sure that was the rule when I played on a scholarship. Imagine how a cheating team could stockpile talent if that was allowed. You suggested it so you should look up the current rule. I haven't heard that it changed so I bet a dollar that it's the same now.

• Haha
Reactions: 76-1
Free throw shooting seems to be overlooked in some of the shooting comments imo...it separated winner's from losers in many close tournament games this year. We need points at the line too.

What am I missing on Ledlum? I see a guy who, while may have score a lot, shoots 45% from the field, below 30% on 3s and below 65% of FTs... all while playing 3 years against Ivy League competition. His one P5 competition, he was 6-18 and 2-9.
In other words....Miller Kopp 2.0.

Hard pass.

• Haha
Reactions: hookyIU1990
what are the chances we actually land Knecht? I watched some of the highlight videos...granted, those videos always make every player look like air Jordan....but he looks like everything we need...long swing guy who can shoot deep, take it to the hole, and with authority and lift. Someone (UK, Nike U) is gonna throw a pot of gold at that guy.

Reactions: UncleMark
Whose this Mgbako guy. Sounds like a forward version of Ware. 6'8". He just decommitted from Duke.

Cool story, bro.

In other words....Miller Kopp 2.0.

Hard pass.
have you watched video of the kid? much more physical body and aggressive scorer that MK to me. Now, I guess Miller was a 16ppg scorer at NW, but this kid looks more rugged and physical on drives, and probably not as good a spot up shooter, but much better at creating his own shot.

I'm sure that was the rule when I played on a scholarship. Imagine how a cheating team could stockpile talent if that was allowed. You suggested it so you should look up the current rule. I haven't heard that it changed so I bet a dollar that it's the same now.
Chuckle... You said it couldn't be done so you back it up...

The last time I read a Letter of Intent there was nothing in there covering this...

Things have changed a bit over the past 40 years in case you haven't noticed...

Exactly what was illegal just 5 years ago is completely legal now...

It's worth the staffs time to research it if there's even a chance it's doable...

what are the chances we actually land Knecht? I watched some of the highlight videos...granted, those videos always make every player look like air Jordan....but he looks like everything we need...long swing guy who can shoot deep, take it to the hole, and with authority and lift. Someone (UK, Nike U) is gonna throw a pot of gold at that guy.
I don’t think we have a snowball’s chance in hell with that kid. If Woodson lands him, he’s a Houdini.

• Wow
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I don’t think we have a snowball’s chance in hell with that kid. If Woodson lands him, he’s a Houdini.
I'm not sure why you would infer we don't have a snowball's chance in hell? He's only taken one visit (Oregon) and has had a zoom meeting with the entire IU staff. Sounds like a visit to Bloomington is in the works but nothing confirmed. He's clearly interested in IU and vice versa. UNC, Oregon, UK, and us are the 4 recruiting him the hardest. UNC is likely going to land Harrison Ingram and potentially Nick Timberlake which would all but rule out UNC. UK is obviously a dream school for many, but just doesn't feel like there's been mutual traction like there has been with IU. If a visit doesn't get set up here within the week, that obviously doesn't bode well, but I think we have as good of a shot as anybody seriously recruiting him right now.

I agree. I've thought we could use a combo guard like the player from Oral Roberts or Baylor. The problem, I would assume is, convincing one of those guys to come and play with X. Both fit the bill, but I'd assume want to play more PG to enhance NBA aspirations and that's where the rub might come in with XJ.
I would assume our staff has reached out to both Cryer and Abmas. And we'd be insane not to pursue/take them if there was something there.

Assuming there isn't, though, X and Cupps is a very, very good PG lineup. Especially with Trey in the fold as someone that can spell either of them as well when needed.

Assuming X is healthy, he'll be one of the best PG's in the conference. And Cupps should provide a solid, floor leader type presence with his minutes. He might actually be the perfect type of PG to play when X goes on tilt from time to time.

I know it makes sense to you, but that doesn't matter does it? If those guys feel like their NBA future is at PG, even if you could realistically make that happen, if they don't believe it, it doesn't matter. You act like our coaches aren't aware of our needs and aren't after these guys. That would be dumb and irresponsible. I'm saying I'll bet they've reached out and been told they don't believe IU is a good fit for them.

And, would I take an NIL deal worth 3X my scholarship (annually, or total?) ? My answer would be that depends, on what other schools are offering (remember Pack reportedly demanded a $500K minimum when he left OSU), and if I thought one opportunity might really enhance my NBA potential. A few hundred thousand in NIL is great, but a multi-million dollar NBA contract/career dwarfs that. I'd take $100K from a school I thought would help me get to the NBA before I'd take $200K for a situation I didn't believe would help me get to the NBA as much.
Neither Leal or Gunn are headed to the NBA without some serious (and highly unlikely) upgrades to their game... You've gone way off track in regard to their taking NIL $ for a year... The fact is that they're both damn lucky Woody hasn't just asked them to move on... A lot of other coaches would have.

Abmas is a "figure out...make room for him" type of player. It'd definitely make for some interesting rotation choices though...assuming we do land Ledlum and Knecht.

Ballhandlers...XJ, Cupps, and Galloway is one of the better ballhandler stables in the conference.

Shooting/Scoring Guards...Knecht, Galloway, Gunn, Newton...probably would be our biggest question mark. If Knecht is able to do anything similar to what he did at NCol, it makes a big dent in this question mark. If he struggles at the high major level, we'd need Gunn and/or Newton to step up.

Shooting/Scoring Wings...Ledlum, Gunn, Banks, Newton...I think with Ledlum, Banks, and Newton here we're potentially loaded at this particular position. Loaded means Nationally Elite to me, for what its worth.

Stretch 4...Ware, Banks, Ledlum, Reneau at times...again, potentially loaded here as well.

Big...Reneau, Sparks...one of the better "5" stables in the conference.

Adding Abmas would probably squeeze guys like Galloway, Gunn, Cupps, Newton, quite a bit. But he's so good, if he has any interest, you go hard after him anyways.

If half of this portal fantasy stuff plays out for us, is it unreasonable to think next year's team may just be more successful than this past year?

Would be ironic since many were predicting a .500 season or worse just a few weeks ago.

Biggest concern I have is following Illinois' footsteps...they lose Kofi and Curbelo (after losing Dosunmu the year before), then reload with the portal and have pretty high expectations...but the team never gels and they have a rather lackluster season.

again, based on the video I watched, he is going to be a huge get for whomever ponies up and pays. His game has NBA written all over it. He looks like a 1 on 1 isolation nightmare to cover. He's a long 6 foot 6 with some serious hops and 24' range on his shot. CMW needs to play his NBA pedigree with this kid for all it's worth.

Reactions: 76-1
If half of this portal fantasy stuff plays out for us, is it unreasonable to think next year's team may just be more successful than this past year?

Would be ironic since many were predicting a .500 season or worse just a few weeks ago.

Biggest concern I have is following Illinois' footsteps...they lose Kofi and Curbelo (after losing Dosunmu the year before), then reload with the portal and have pretty high expectations...but the team never gels and they have a rather lackluster season.
At least that would be a different kind of failure than we are accustomed to.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT