ADVERTISEMENT

Homies, is there a good thread on electric vehicles on the site? Thinking about buying one this year and would love some opinions.

Eppy99

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 27, 2001
Happy Sunday! I've been MIA for a bit. I honestly can't stomach politics and conflict much anymore so I've been busy watching my crypto sink. Hook me up with a link if there's a good conversation on the tech, car suggestions, etc. If there isn't one lets start it!

Couple things I'd like to add to the discussion. I'm curious if anyone has speculation on the used/new car market? This past week I took my Honda Odyssey Van in for some service. Upon picking it up there was an unsolicited sheet of paper with an appraised amount for my vehicle. My van is to be turned in Febuary 14th as the lease is coming to an end. Normally I would just turn it in but F**k, the appraised amount was for almost 11K more than my buyout. I've never bought my lease before and I probably won't now, but I'll gladly take the 11K profit and put it towards my next vehicle!

So, the wife and I only recently began to think about purchasinng an electric vehicle this year. We're thinking of stepping down from the van to an SUV. I've got two kids within the next 2 years getting their license so not sure we need the van anymore. A quick search on Uncle Google tells me theres going to be an explosion of the electric cars hitting the market. I think the main issue seems to be the ability to get one right away and manufacturing as it relates to the supply chain but I'm really not all that familiar with the issue. A quick look at the new Fisker and Rivian SUV has me excited, but I'm not sure I could get one before 2023 based on supply and demand and the ability to manufacture the cars.

So lets talk electric cars here or point me in the right direction!

Happy New Year everyone. Great to be alive despite all our issues at hand. My kids remind me daily there's more to our lives than the news, politics and a country divided. My eyes are wide open and I've realized its time to take control by making a difference in peoples lives. Its easy to feel helpless, but when you directly help another person, you have made a difference in someones narrative. Peace out brothers.

Happy Sunday! I've been MIA for a bit. I honestly can't stomach politics and conflict much anymore so I've been busy watching my crypto sink. Hook me up with a link if there's a good conversation on the tech, car suggestions, etc. If there isn't one lets start it!

Couple things I'd like to add to the discussion. I'm curious if anyone has speculation on the used/new car market? This past week I took my Honda Odyssey Van in for some service. Upon picking it up there was an unsolicited sheet of paper with an appraised amount for my vehicle. My van is to be turned in Febuary 14th as the lease is coming to an end. Normally I would just turn it in but F**k, the appraised amount was for almost 11K more than my buyout. I've never bought my lease before and I probably won't now, but I'll gladly take the 11K profit and put it towards my next vehicle!

So, the wife and I only recently began to think about purchasinng an electric vehicle this year. We're thinking of stepping down from the van to an SUV. I've got two kids within the next 2 years getting their license so not sure we need the van anymore. A quick search on Uncle Google tells me theres going to be an explosion of the electric cars hitting the market. I think the main issue seems to be the ability to get one right away and manufacturing as it relates to the supply chain but I'm really not all that familiar with the issue. A quick look at the new Fisker and Rivian SUV has me excited, but I'm not sure I could get one before 2023 based on supply and demand and the ability to manufacture the cars.

Happy New Year everyone. Great to be alive despite all our issues at hand. My kids remind me daily there's more to our lives than the news, politics and a country divided. My eyes are wide open and I've realized its time to take control by making a difference in peoples lives. Its easy to feel helpless, but when you directly help another person, you have made a difference in someones narrative. Peace out brothers.
The number one discussion point on EVs is budget. For SUVs, especially normal sized SUVs and not the compact crossovers, you’re going to have to shell out big scratch.

IMO the best looking SUV out there is the Rivian. But I think it starts at 70k.

Reactions: jaraqo
Never understood the point of EVs. More expensive and the battery needs to be replaced at 10 years. That's like $10k+ at least. Plus limited driving range.

The number one discussion point on EVs is budget. For SUVs, especially normal sized SUVs and not the compact crossovers, you’re going to have to shell out big scratch.

IMO the best looking SUV out there is the Rivian. But I think it starts at 70k.
I agree, I like the look of the Rivian. I want an SUV that can seat up to 7 or fold down enough for cargo space. They make the Rivian fit either capacity increasing cargo space for the 5 person option.
When I did a little research I saw some postings in this past December that their order book is up to about 80k vehicles but it didn’t specify how many are for the pick up versus the RS1. It may not matter as they share the same platform. Unfortunately I don’t think delivery for a new order would happen until early 2023. That’s a negative for me.
I do however have the option of sharing a vehicle that could eventually be handed over to the kids when they “finally” get their license. I don’t really want them practicing on a brand new electric car.
I’ve also started looking at this Motor Drive app that is partnering with local utility companies. Their goal is to help convert people to electric vehicles. They offer a lease program bundle that includes insurance, a vehicle, and charger. You can have the car for a month or however long you need it. So this could hold me over.

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
Never understood the point of EVs. More expensive and the battery needs to be replaced at 10 years. That's like $10k+ at least. Plus limited driving range.
I’m still learning about EV’s so your point is well taken. I also have concerns about the recycling of the batteries and the sustainability of the mining to produce the batteries. I really don’t know the science behind all of this and if it’s just slightly better than the environmental concerns we have for gas powered vehicles.

I agree, I like the look of the Rivian. I want an SUV that can seat up to 7 or fold down enough for cargo space. They make the Rivian fit either capacity increasing cargo space for the 5 person option.
When I did a little research I saw some postings in this past December that their order book is up to about 80k vehicles but it didn’t specify how many are for the pick up versus the RS1. It may not matter as they share the same platform. Unfortunately I don’t think delivery for a new order would happen until early 2023. That’s a negative for me.
I do however have the option of sharing a vehicle that could eventually be handed over to the kids when they “finally” get their license. I don’t really want them practicing on a brand new electric car.
I’ve also started looking at this Motor Drive app that is partnering with local utility companies. Their goal is to help convert people to electric vehicles. They offer a lease program bundle that includes insurance, a vehicle, and charger. You can have the car for a month or however long you need it. So this could hold me over.
What would have happened if you were in Virginia on I-95 in the blizzard in a Electric vehicle?

EV’s are strictly niche vehicles. If you used it for urban diving to run errands, or to commute around a total of 75mikes/day, I think an EV makes sense. But not $70k sense.

I am now a one car family, I don’t commute, but I run urban errands. I also take road trips instead of flying and my cabin is 180 miles away. I can’t use an EV. My vehicle is a mild hybrid, it’s bigger than a compact, comfortable, sporty, fast, and gets 37 mpg highway.

EV’s are strictly niche vehicles. If you used it for urban diving to run errands, or to commute around a total of 75mikes/day, I think an EV makes sense. But not $70k sense.

I am now a one car family, I don’t commute, but I run urban errands. I also take road trips instead of flying and my cabin is 180 miles away. I can’t use an EV. My vehicle is a mild hybrid, it’s bigger than a compact, comfortable, sporty, fast, and gets 37 mpg highway.
At this point I would use around town and for softball travel within 100 miles. I’m excited to see how the charging infrastructure is built which does give me pause and consider if I should play the wait and see game. As for long distance travel for vacations, I’m prepared to rent a van for long trips.

Reactions: Bill4411
Not fully electric and not quite the size you want but I’ve been looking at Rav4 Prime’s. The electric range is like 40-50 miles then it’s kicks over to the hybrid engine.

I’d have one in my garage now but I’m not willing to pay the $10-15k markup above MSRP.

Side story: I walked into a Toyota dealership last week to buy/order a 2022 Rav4 Hybrid for my wife. Said I was ready to put down deposit that day even with the 1-2 month waitlist. They said price would be $5k above msrp. I said I’d put $5k down that day if they’d waive the markup. They said no and wouldn’t budge so we passed.

Not fully electric and not quite the size you want but I’ve been looking at Rav4 Prime’s. The electric range is like 40-50 miles then it’s kicks over to the hybrid engine.

I’d have one in my garage now but I’m not willing to pay the $10-15k markup above MSRP.

Side story: I walked into a Toyota dealership last week to buy/order a 2022 Rav4 Hybrid for my wife. Said I was ready to put down deposit that day even with the 1-2 month waitlist. They said price would be $5k above msrp. I said I’d put $5k down that day if they’d waive the markup. They said no and wouldn’t budge so we passed.
I think hybrid is probably the best of both worlds. The issue has historically been lack of power.

One thing to think about in Indiana is the winters. An EV does not get the projected mileage that they usually list in cold weather-you know like how your battery seems to die in the winter. EV's lose about 18 percent of there range in cold weather and take longer to charge also.

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
Or just drive a vehicle powered by a known fuel that works and is likely more efficent when broken down across all the different ways it use energy and pollutes .

Normally I would just turn it in but F**k, the appraised amount was for almost 11K more than my buyout. I've never bought my lease before and I probably won't now, but I'll gladly take the 11K profit and put it towards my next vehicle!

Jesus. Keep the car and drive it for another couple years. That 11K you think you'll be making will go right out the door on a new buy in this market.

You can buy new car smell in a spray can if you must.

I saw a video the other day where a dude set fire to (or maybe actually exploded) his Tesla because it required a battery replacement that was going to cost $22,000.

Not really a fan (yet) of EV's, but they will eventually take over, I'm sure. I guess it'd be OK for a secondary vehicle that was strictly for city driving, but I can't fathom having one today as a primary vehicle. I've yet to see any under $50K that I'd want to drive.

Reactions: larsIU
I saw a video the other day where a dude set fire to (or maybe actually exploded) his Tesla because it required a battery replacement that was going to cost $22,000.

Not really a fan (yet) of EV's, but they will eventually take over, I'm sure. I guess it'd be OK for a secondary vehicle that was strictly for city driving, but I can't fathom having one today as a primary vehicle. I've yet to see any under $50K that I'd want to drive.
I saw that video, too. The guy bought the Tesla used a few years ago and it was, I believe, a 2012 model. He had to expect the battery replacement, right?

This article says your Tesla battery should last between 300,000 - 500,000 miles. And Tesla Model 3 batteries are $3K-$5K for replacement. That’s very affordable and practical if you ask me.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
I saw that video, too. The guy bought the Tesla used a few years ago and it was, I believe, a 2012 model. He had to expect the battery replacement, right?

It's unclear from the article whether the $22K battery replacement was an expected maintenance item (which alone would be enough reason not to buy one) or if there was a larger issue for which the only remedy was a full battery pack replacement.

Either way, $22K is a huge bill to foot for a car that was $44K new in 2013.

It is pretty hard to find a horse and buggy these days.
Let me guess, you think electricity is free and just there where you plug in? So take the environmental impact of batteries , so called free energy in windmills, unreliable solar . We were talking about cold weather not Fla . maybe they can put solar recharge panels on one down there or if you are driving 10 miles a day. It takes energy to create electricity, you almost always lose efficency everytime you use more methods of getting the energy you need. Burn fuel to make electric to charge a battery to power a car vs just burning fuel in that car. Maybe in golf cart sized for short trips. I'd love to see the breakdown. I get right at 50MPG out of one gallon of diesel fuel directly in my car. Allow for voltage drops in transmission, amongst other things to a charging station . In winter heat is a byproduct for me vs wasting ''fuel'' , DC voltage for everything is also free from the engine taking me down the road. I spend very little otherwise, oil change every 10,000, It burns a bit so throw a few quarts a yr in on the MPG. How many gallons of oil does a windmill take a year? To answer your actual question although Im sure it wasnt meant for answer, I see a lot of them on my road every day and they aren't Amish.

This article says your Tesla battery should last between 300,000 - 500,000 miles. And Tesla Model 3 batteries are $3K-$5K for replacement. That’s very affordable and practical if you ask me.
Yeah no way that's true. But hard to refute cashcarbuyer.com

It takes energy to create electricity, you almost always lose efficency everytime you use more methods of getting the energy you need. Burn fuel to make electric to charge a battery to power a car vs just burning fuel in that car. Maybe in golf cart sized for short trips. I'd love to see the breakdown. I get right at 50MPG out of one gallon of diesel fuel directly in my car.
So diesel fuel just spurts up from the ground and into your tank...with no extra steps? No energy spent on drilling, refining, storing, delivering, pumping? No manpower?
Wow.

Reactions: outside shooter
Yeah no way that's true. But hard to refute cashcarbuyer.com

Tesla claims that the battery will lose only 10% after 200,000 miles. Car & Driver tested a Model 3 and it lost 7% in 24,000 miles. So I'm not sure I'd believe Elon's claims.

Reactions: larsIU
The batteries are more than 3 to 5k.

Jesus. Keep the car and drive it for another couple years. That 11K you think you'll be making will go right out the door on a new buy in this market.

You can buy new car smell in a spray can if you must.
I'd do just what Mark suggests and see where the market is in 2 years.

So diesel fuel just spurts up from the ground and into your tank...with no extra steps? No energy spent on drilling, refining, storing, delivering, pumping? No manpower?
Wow.

WOW!! LOL,Do you get kicks out of being an ***hole? Same diesel or other fossil fuel used to make electricity. I'd like to think you are just that dumb but unsure. I actually give you a little credit on the intelligence part and its just a personality disorder that you like being an ***hole every chance you get. In reality there isn't much difference.

• Haha
Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
Bottom line, EVs will become mainstream only when it's cheaper to drive one long term than a gas powered vehicle. Not because people are interested in virtual signaling to their elitist friends. That takes into account the cost of gas, the cost of battery replacement, the cost of having to stop and charge on a long trip, etc.

Bottom line, EVs will become mainstream only when it's cheaper to drive one long term than a gas powered vehicle. Not because people are interested in virtual signaling to their elitist friends. That takes into account the cost of gas, the cost of battery replacement, the cost of having to stop and charge on a long trip, etc.
Every new technology needs early adopters.

Exactly! Look back in time and EV was a big thing in early days until Gas/diesel was a better alternative. It may be great in urban areas with short trips and I love the quiet. I'm not against it by any means where it fits but don't push it on everyone to be 100% all or nothing. My electric grid is one #8 copper wire at high voltage with no insulation. I generate my own 3 phase off of that . I'm sure all the libs will weigh in and understand how that all works !The voltage drop and loss of efficency vs just running a diesel engine . I don't have exact figures and dont make that claim but common sense tells me it is going to take more fuel after being run through all the things to charge a battery here is a net loss

Reactions: dbmhoosier
WOW!! LOL,Do you get kicks out of being an ***hole? Same diesel or other fossil fuel used to make electricity. I'd like to think you are just that dumb but unsure. I actually give you a little credit on the intelligence part and its just a personality disorder that you like being an ***hole every chance you get. In reality there isn't much difference.
I apologize that I hurt your feelings.
I'll tell you what...I'll only respond in kind to you. When you are being a non-asshole, I will respond to you as a non-asshole. When you post as an asshole, I will respond to you as one.
Deal?

Exactly! Look back in time and EV was a big thing in early days until Gas/diesel was a better alternative. It may be great in urban areas with short trips and I love the quiet. I'm not against it by any means where it fits but don't push it on everyone to be 100% all or nothing. My electric grid is one #8 copper wire at high voltage with no insulation. I generate my own 3 phase off of that . I'm sure all the libs will weigh in and understand how that all works !The voltage drop and loss of efficency vs just running a diesel engine . I don't have exact figures and dont make that claim but common sense tells me it is going to take more fuel after being run through all the things to charge a battery here is a net loss
So, where did Eppy, or anyone on this thread for that matter, try to push EV's on everyone 100% all or nothing?

Good topic as my long time car (2001 Lexus ES300) literally started bellowing smoke last Thursday as it started overheating.

I ran it forever (310,000 miles) and it treated me so well but, it's time.

So I'm looking for a new vehicle and I've got my eye on a used Chevy Volt.

It's less pretentious and looks like an actual car. It also has more balls/more sporty than other evs not named Tesla.

The set up is I get ~40 miles of pure electric per charge but then there is a gas powered engine/generator that keeps the battery charged and the mpg goes to 40/50.

So it has unlimited range (other than needing to stop for gas).

They are going for around $15k.

Most of my driving is local so I could literally go months without having to stop for gas.

Oil changes every 10-15k miles.

Much less moving parts and liquids on the drivetrain.

If the battery fails (and they are the highest rated batteries of the segment) it just becomes a car that gets 40 mpg.

I'm really intrigued.

I apologize that I hurt your feelings.
I'll tell you what...I'll only respond in kind to you. When you are being a non-asshole, I will respond to you as a non-asshole. When you post as an asshole, I will respond to you as one.
Deal?
How was I being an asshole responding about the realities of EV in cold weather and the electric grid to support it? Do you understand electricity at all? You are a professionial a**hole It is all you do. I call people on stuff. You just like being an a**hole. I told you before that I don't like you and try and avoid you. I wasnt responding to you. If I talked to you in person I would more than happily tell you that in person. What is your deal?

Good topic as my long time car (2001 Lexus ES300) literally started bellowing smoke last Thursday as it started overheating.

It's less pretentious and looks like an actual car. It also has more balls/more sporty than other evs not named Tesla.

The set up is I get ~40 miles of pure electric per charge but then there is a gas powered engine/generator that keeps the battery charged and the mpg goes to 40/50.

Most of my driving is local so I could literally go months without having to stop for gas.

If the battery fails (and they are the highest rated batteries of the segment) it just becomes a car that gets 40 mpg.

I'm really intrigued.
Was it blowing smoke or steam? I'd check the coolant system before doing anything rash . A bad hose will cause overheating and steam looks like smoke

How was I being an asshole responding about the realities of EV in cold weather and the electric grid to support it? Do you understand electricity at all? You are a professionial a**hole It is all you do. I call people on stuff. You just like being an a**hole. I told you before that I don't like you and try and avoid you. I wasnt responding to you. If I talked to you in person I would more than happily tell you that in person. What is your deal?
So, when you're an asshole, you are calling "people on stuff"? When I do it, I'm just a "professional asshole"?
(BTW, I wish...I haven't made a dime off being one yet.)

So, that's a no?

I'm really intrigued.
Hate hearing this Tommy. I remember you once heading out west to a superspreader event just for a chick. Might as well lop your pecker off and leave it in the glove box with your trade in for a CHEVY F*UCKING REVOLTING

P.S. you're in a rock band! Act like it!

Was it blowing smoke or steam? I'd check the coolant system before doing anything rash . A bad hose will cause overheating and steam looks like smoke
I believe steam.

I got home from running errands and noticed as I pulled into the garage that steam was puffing out from under the hood. However the temperature was fine.

After she cooled I opened up the hood and checked but I didn't see anything like fluid and stuff, didn't feel any obvious holes on the hoses (but I'm not a car guy so I have no idea what I'm even looking for).

So I waited a day and then fired her up and let her idle for thirty minutes.

Noticed her temp gage was higher than normal so I revved her up and the temps started climbing.

Turned off the car and she really steamed/smoked up.

Figured it was time after an amazing run.

My gf sang hallelujah (she hated how I kept her alive all these years).

Do you think she's salvageable? The Google tells me when the car overheats it's all kinds of trouble (head gasket damage, pistons get all f#$ked up, etc)?

Thanks for the any advice!

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT