ADVERTISEMENT

Hemenway to Vandy

We do need another shooter besides Goode he is the only proven shooter. I agree we need a big first but another shooter for sure.

We do need another shooter besides Goode he is the only proven shooter. I agree we need a big first but another shooter for sure.
It would be nice; but a luxury as I said. I believe both Rice and Carlyle will be improved shooters with having to carry less of the O load and having more scorers around them. Same with Galloway, I think his shooting % will rise back up with having to do less and focus more on getting good looks. Another shooter would be nice, but I think overall we're going to be a much better shooting team than last year.

At this point...for the likely playing time we're offering...Leal is a proven shooter, and can fill those minutes just fine.

For the bulk of playing time...

Mgbako is a proven 3 point shooter, who will have a pretty high volume next year.
Goode is a proven 3 point shooter, who'll put up a few per game, I'm sure.

The question mark will be how well Rice and Carlyle end up shooting the ball, as they're both going to be a big part of our offense, and in their first full seasons, neither showed themselves to be reliable knock down 3 point shooters. I don't think its too much of a reach to expect both to shoot at least a little better than they did their first years, however. So if they're both scoring in other ways, and using their talent to impact defensively, distributing the ball, etc... If they're both low 30s percentage 3P shooters, on around a 100 or so attempts, that's not going to hurt us too badly.

Galloway and Cupps, both will be adequate for their roles and the minutes they'll get. Gabe catches flack for his shooting, but he was a pretty darn solid spot up 3P shooter in his first year. And we've seen that Galloway can be a solid outside shooter too, when not being relied upon to be a volume shooter.

Heck, even Malik showed he can hit perimeter shots. So if he ends up taking a few more 3s this year, and hits in the 30's percentage wise, like he did this year...that'll help our numbers too.

I think we're set on shooting, at this point. We need another solid rotational big man, that can defend and rebound. That's the last piece that I think we're actually missing right now.

At this point...for the likely playing time we're offering...Leal is a proven shooter, and can fill those minutes just fine.

For the bulk of playing time...

Mgbako is a proven 3 point shooter, who will have a pretty high volume next year.
Goode is a proven 3 point shooter, who'll put up a few per game, I'm sure.

The question mark will be how well Rice and Carlyle end up shooting the ball, as they're both going to be a big part of our offense, and in their first full seasons, neither showed themselves to be reliable knock down 3 point shooters. I don't think its too much of a reach to expect both to shoot at least a little better than they did their first years, however. So if they're both scoring in other ways, and using their talent to impact defensively, distributing the ball, etc... If they're both low 30s percentage 3P shooters, on around a 100 or so attempts, that's not going to hurt us too badly.

Galloway and Cupps, both will be adequate for their roles and the minutes they'll get. Gabe catches flack for his shooting, but he was a pretty darn solid spot up 3P shooter in his first year. And we've seen that Galloway can be a solid outside shooter too, when not being relied upon to be a volume shooter.

Heck, even Malik showed he can hit perimeter shots. So if he ends up taking a few more 3s this year, and hits in the 30's percentage wise, like he did this year...that'll help our numbers too.

I think we're set on shooting, at this point. We need another solid rotational big man, that can defend and rebound. That's the last piece that I think we're actually missing right now.
Come on North! You can NEVER have too many shooters. You know this!

Come on North! You can NEVER have too many shooters. You know this!
I think it was Jeff Oliphant that the old channel 4 announcer always said had some legendary horse games with Steve Alford. that is the kind of shooter we need to add a good horse player, because you can't play 17 guys, Hatton will be the last piece we add next Tuesday.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Leal as a shooter? I need more of a proven shooter then Leal. He has averaged about 2ppg and shooting .352 from three. Fine as a backup and ball handler but is not a shooter.

neither showed themselves to be reliable knock down 3 point shooters
Carlyle shot close to 40% on catch and shoots in conference play, which was higher or equal to either shooter mentioned and both were almost exclusively catch and shoot. His overall percentage was lower due to the inefficiency of shots off the bounce which was 33% of his threes taken. If they are considered reliable, then so is he..

Last edited:
It would be nice; but a luxury as I said. I believe both Rice and Carlyle will be improved shooters with having to carry less of the O load and having more scorers around them. Same with Galloway, I think his shooting % will rise back up with having to do less and focus more on getting good looks. Another shooter would be nice, but I think overall we're going to be a much better shooting team than last year.
Better yes marginal we still need one more to be safe with a big.

Carlyle shot close to 40% on catch and shoots in conference play, which was higher or equal to either shooter mentioned and both were almost exclusively catch and shoot. His overall percentage was lower due to the inefficiency of shots off the bounce which was 33% of his threes taken. If they are considered reliable, then so is he..
No.

• Haha
Carlyle and Rice are average shooters which is better then last year but having a guy like Goode and Hemingway is exactly what we need off the bench. Hell I will take a guy like Oakland had division 2 as long as he can come in on key moments and knock down threes. There is still plenty of these guys out there.

Better yes marginal we still need one more to be safe with a big.
I agree with IUNorth, with the way it looks like they've improved the roster, I'd rather give Leal minutes after what he showed last year and as a 5th year guy who's been as commited to our program as anyone vs whoever would come in and take the few minutes that might be available.

Carlyle and Rice are average shooters which is better then last year but having a guy like Goode and Hemingway is exactly what we need off the bench. Hell I will take a guy like Oakland had division 2 as long as he can come in on key moments and knock down threes. There is still plenty of these guys out there.
it gets to be less about the shooters than PT. You want a guy who's a good shooter to come in and fight for minutes off the bench. I'd say Hemmenway and Essegian showed you what most players think about that.

Good point... I made the mistake of projecting what I saw out of Mack later in the season...but not doing that with either Carlyle or Rice. Sounds like Carlyle might have had a similar progression throughout the year, that Mack did.

Overall point remains...we have quite a few very capable "shooters" on our roster now. None of them are JJ Redick type guys...but all of them bring other good attributes. If somehow a starter level "JJ Redick" type player emerges yet for this class...obviously pick him up. But most likely, we aren't going to find anyone that's enough better of a shooter than Leal, that can also do the other things he's good at. Get a backup big, see how the rest of the summer plays out.

it gets to be less about the shooters than PT. You want a guy who's a good shooter to come in and fight for minutes off the bench. I'd say Hemmenway and Essegian showed you what most players think about that.
Exactly.

If Goode gets hurt we're in bad shape. Always expect the unexpected. Injuries happen it would be wise to fill these two positions with a shooter and a big.
Maybe...doubt it though. If Goode gets hurt, his minutes will be gobbled up by the other 7-8 main rotation players. And to the overall point, Leal proved last year he's more than capable of playing extended solid minutes.

Leal is not a proven shooter we need proven spot up shooters. We have one on the team in Goode. Last year was a perfect reason why you don't leave a scholarship open.

He is a key piece is he starring no but Balo and Reneau need guys like him to space the floor. Purdue did this with Smith and company look at Alabama its all about shooters we have one and maybe two if Mgbako can improve.

He is a key piece is he starring no but Balo and Reneau need guys like him to space the floor. Purdue did this with Smith and company look at Alabama its all about shooters we have one and maybe two if Mgbako can improve.
If Mack can improve .. what if he already did and you didn't notice it.

In conference play
Goode - 1.4 makes, 2.7 per 40, 37%.
Mack - 1.9 makes, 2.5 per 40, 38%.

In 20 games against comparable competition they look pretty damn even to me and to call one proven and the other not, stinks of some type of bias or a complete misunderstanding of basketball...

Plus, Mack also scored 13.6 per game, compared to Goode's 5.4. Dynamic scorers > than stand still shooters... You can close hard on Goode and he probably can't burn you for it, Close too hard on Mack and he gets into the mid range or near the hoop. That makes him a more dangerous spacer than Goode because he's harder to guard in space.. Goode is mostly a one trick pony.

Also, both are catch shoot, Mack almost exclusively, Goode took 83% from a catch and shoot, Mack 90%. While Rice took 47% of his threes off the bounce or move and Carlyle took 33% of his shots off the bounce or move. Why? Because they could... and their coaches felt they could. Why didn't Goode or Mack shoot more off they bounce, because they couldn't ..

KC and MR catch and shoot numbers were much higher than their overall percentage ... KC I know was comparable to LG and MM and if you don't understand why the aforementioned and above is important you really shouldn't be talking about shooting or basketball in general..

Plus, we have no idea how many proven shooters will be on next years team until it happens.. we have more than enough players with the potential to be good shooters that there's no reason to recruit another just to sit on his ass and watch games or even worry about it....

Last edited:
I'm saying we had Mack last year which I expect him to improve and added Goode if one of the two gets hurt that's not good. We need more shooters and a big asap.

Reactions: Wiedersehen
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT