ADVERTISEMENT

Alex Hemenway, thoughts?

I was off JG bus pretty fast. He has no bball IQ. X got unlucky with his body, Tamar will probably make an SEC all conference team this year. He will play professionally, prob not NBA tho.

Cupps isn't good enough for IU, I thought that was clear as day, guess people didn't see it.

Might not be another Jordy Hulls? The only thing he has in common with Jordy is being a white guard. Jordy would shoot better after 12 beers and a blunt in street clothes than Cupps.
You might be right, but I’m willing to give the kid another year before cutting him for a replacement.

Obviously we'll get a big, Hemenway can no doubt shoot it but how does he fit?
I had forgotten about him. I assumed he was out of eligibility and passed thquietly through without much notice. I remember him in high school as an odd looking player that looked awkward, but somehow was effective at that level. I guess he has made it work in college.

I would get our big man first and still save a scholarship. I'll take him as a preferred walk on and give him the last scholarship if we don't use it late.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Hemenway is a lot more athletic than Leal.lil

You know this how? Please share the athletic measurements you have. Please share the link. And it's soon critically important our 11th man is more athletic than 12th for the 3 mop up minutes at the end of games. Lol.

I don't think Cupps is any poorer on D as a Frosh than MR was. We know his floor but need another year to sense his ceiling. I never saw him give up. He's grit and rawhide with plenty of fire to improve and get smarter. Woodson will instill his will on him much more than X accepted or displayed.

You know this how? Please share the athletic measurements you have. Please share the link. And it's soon critically important our 11th man is more athletic than 12th for the 3 mop up minutes at the end of games. Lol.
Yeah, Hemenway is more athletic than Leal. Saw them both play in high school and both in college. I’m not saying IU should give him a scholly, but he is more athletic.

Agreed. He needs to shoot more. My point is we already have a 10th or 11th man off the bench in Leal and we don't need another in Hemenway. At least Leal knows the offense and defense.

Personally, I'd love to see us fill the last 2 spots with a uncommitted HS center and wing if possible. Like Powell from OH and Crawford from GA.
I think you are seeing the future. Get 1-2 freshmen and reload in portal every year. I believe it is because no matter how you develop the younger guys and some will take a couple years, you've got no control on whether they go portal for better NIL, no matter how much they play. There is little loyalty for teams and more about "gettin' mine" attitudes. Used to be pride to wear IU jersey, not so much now except for a couple of kids. It's follow the money players today.

Yeah, Hemenway is more athletic than Leal. Saw them both play in high school and both in college. I’m not saying IU should give him a scholly, but he is more athletic.

He might be...but using a highlight of 1 dunk, that most D1 level college players could do, doesn't do much to prove your point. Leal can dunk, very, very easily. You should know that, having watching him both in high school and college.

Hemenway looks to be a little bouncier, lighter on his feet a little bit. But its not a very big difference. Leal is quite a lot more athletic than most give him credit for. Its actually what allowed him to win Mr Basketball, and probably why he got recruited to IU. He was not an elite shooter in HS, or in AAU. He was a "triple double" type of guy, that used his size and strength advantages as a guard well.

I think Hemenway is actually fairly redundant to Leal. If I were Woody, I'd get that foreign kid as a back up big. And keep the last spot open for maybe another big that might pop up in the next couple days as an option.

He might be...but using a highlight of 1 dunk, that most D1 level college players could do, doesn't do much to prove your point. Leal can dunk, very, very easily. You should know that, having watching him both in high school and college.

Hemenway looks to be a little bouncier, lighter on his feet a little bit. But its not a very big difference. Leal is quite a lot more athletic than most give him credit for. Its actually what allowed him to win Mr Basketball, and probably why he got recruited to IU. He was not an elite shooter in HS, or in AAU. He was a "triple double" type of guy, that used his size and strength advantages as a guard well.

I think Hemenway is actually fairly redundant to Leal. If I were Woody, I'd get that foreign kid as a back up big. And keep the last spot open for maybe another big that might pop up in the next couple days as an option.

Exactly. Leal's main athletic deficiency is his lateral movement and I don't see Hemenway being much better in that regard.

Reactions: asindc
Exactly. Leal's main athletic deficiency is his lateral movement and I don't see Hemenway being much better in that regard.
And even that isn't as bad as many make it out to be. He did fine keeping in front of people defensively when he played this past year. He isn't going to put the ball on the floor and blow by people off the dribbe, no. But for a 10 ish minute guy... he can defend, he's active on the boards, and he can hit open shots...he's more than fine. And he's ours, and he's a Bloomington kid... recruiting over Leal for a guy like Hemenway isn't a great idea, in my opinion. Leal has never been our problem, and we don't need him to be a main rotation guy like we did this past year.

The question arose about who is more athletic. I chimed in with what I have seen and threw in a link of Hemenway driving down the lane against UNC for a dunk. Hemenway is more athletic.

I like Leal and I like Hemenway. Not trying to promote one against the next. Just answered with an objective answer to the poster inquiry.

I stand by it. Have a good day!

Reactions: ulrey and kkott
I am learning that woody is a very proud, confident, and stubborn man. Not bad qualities in a bball coach for sure. I say this because I think we can really put stock on how his past teams have been played, and use that to atleast have an educated guess on how this next season plays out.

With way more talent and able bodies on the bench, I see no reason why woody doesn’t play 10 guys regularly for the first few months. With Rice, Kanaan, Newton, and Tucker all in the fold, that could be pretty good. Athletic guards hopefully built on tempo. Fresh legs are good. Just need a back up big that can run. Ballo gonna get in tjd shape this year!!
We will see what he can do with all this talent. Kentucky has top talent every year and cannot get out of the first round anymore. Woodson now needs to prove it on the court.

• Love
Reactions: Indyhorn
Just a depth piece. Atleast he can shoot. More worried about a big backup who can contribute we know Reneau is a foul king so getting another big is important.

Just a depth piece. Atleast he can shoot. More worried about a big backup who can contribute we know Reneau is a foul king so getting another big is important.
I just don't think he's even as good as Leal, so I don't get the point with him? Maybe a little quicker trigger, and more willing shooter...there could be some benefit from that over Leal. But Leal's better defensively and on the boards, from what I can tell. And is a more than capable outside shooter.

I'd be holding out for big man depth, and overall defensive versatility with the last 2 spots if I were Woody. But if he feels like this guy can win us a game or two with his shooting, and doesn't have anything going anywhere else...having another solid shooter on the bench can't hurt I guess.

I just don't think he's even as good as Leal, so I don't get the point with him? Maybe a little quicker trigger, and more willing shooter...there could be some benefit from that over Leal. But Leal's better defensively and on the boards, from what I can tell. And is a more than capable outside shooter.

I'd be holding out for big man depth, and overall defensive versatility with the last 2 spots if I were Woody. But if he feels like this guy can win us a game or two with his shooting, and doesn't have anything going anywhere else...having another solid shooter on the bench can't hurt I guess.

Don't know who is the better player. AH is about 3x more likely to attempt a 3, has hit them at an 8% higher rate in his career, and shoots about 10.5% higher on his FTs. On the other hand, AL rebounds and assists at a higher lever. If we didn't already have a s***load of guards I'd say they are different players and we could use both, As it is, I agree the 13th would be better used on front court depth.

It would be nice to see somebody young with potential a stretch big maybe and a combo guard who has potential and can set a watch for a year.

We will see what he can do with all this talent. Kentucky has top talent every year and cannot get out of the first round anymore. Woodson now needs to prove it on the court.
I totally agree. Except for the UK comment. Woody has Gallo, Leal, Goode and Ballo as seniors most super seniors. A Jr. Malik, and a sophmores Rice all with multiple tournament game experiences. UK never has anything like the amount of returning talent we do.

It actually is getting kind of scary on paper what we have. How the hell do you not get excited with:
2 time 1st team all Pac 12, 5th year senior, Ballo

Freshman of the year for their respected conference, B1G and Pac 12, Mack and Rice.

Honorable mention All big ten Malik.

Burger boy Tucker.

Then throw in some proven games in Goode and Gallo.

With a gunner in Kanaan with a ton of upside as a sophomore.

Don't sleep on Fig. He's a killer, IU hasn't had a killer in a bit. Thought Tamar was gonna be one. He was not. Need that TB energy, last dude that comes to mind.

I totally agree. Except for the UK comment. Woody has Gallo, Leal, Goode and Ballo as seniors most super seniors. A Jr. Malik, and a sophmores Rice all with multiple tournament game experiences. UK never has anything like the amount of returning talent we do.

It actually is getting kind of scary on paper what we have. How the hell do you not get excited with:
2 time 1st team all Pac 12, 5th year senior, Ballo

Freshman of the year for their respected conference, B1G and Pac 12, Mack and Rice.

Honorable mention All big ten Malik.

Burger boy Tucker.

Then throw in some proven games in Goode and Gallo.

With a gunner in Kanaan with a ton of upside as a sophomore.

Don't sleep on Fig. He's a killer, IU hasn't had a killer in a bit. Thought Tamar was gonna be one. He was not. Need that TB energy, last dude that comes to mind.
At the risk of you over-hyping him and thereby jinxing the hell out of him, do you know much about Tucker? It's almost easy to forget him with all the other proven talent coming in. I just don't know much of anything about him.

Reactions: ndhuntington
I had forgotten about him. I assumed he was out of eligibility and passed thquietly through without much notice. I remember him in high school as an odd looking player that looked awkward, but somehow was effective at that level. I guess he has made it work in college.

I would get our big man first and still save a scholarship. I'll take him as a preferred walk on and give him the last scholarship if we don't use it late.
He received a medical red shirt for not playing at all last year.

YES! Him and Goode would be two Indiana kids who can both shoot and both wanted to be at IU coming out of HS. Nice chip on the shoulder for both kids fighting for IU their final season. I hope he lands at Indiana. Argument will be that Leal is already in place, but Hemenway is better than Leal.
Why isn’t Leal a walk-on in his 5th season?

There are going to be three of four guys who do not play there simply are not enough minutes to go around. Cupps right now looks like a bench guy along with Leal and Newton imo.
When did you see Newton play? What were his strengths and weaknesses?

The question arose about who is more athletic. I chimed in with what I have seen and threw in a link of Hemenway driving down the lane against UNC for a dunk. Hemenway is more athletic.

I like Leal and I like Hemenway. Not trying to promote one against the next. Just answered with an objective answer to the poster inquiry.

I stand by it. Have a good day!

You can stand by it, but that doesn't mean much. You posted no proof other than your observations. My observations of watching Leal about 100 times over the past 7 years and Hemenway about 20 times over the past 7 years is that they are fairly equal athletically.

Now, if you have evidence that Hemenway is faster, stronger, jumps higher, or have the SPARQ scores for them, then I'd be glad to revise my opinion.

You can stand by it, but that doesn't mean much. You posted no proof other than your observations. My observations of watching Leal about 100 times over the past 7 years and Hemenway about 20 times over the past 7 years is that they are fairly equal athletically.

Now, if you have evidence that Hemenway is faster, stronger, jumps higher, or have the SPARQ scores for them, then I'd be glad to revise my opinion.
I don’t have to provide anything to you. I gave an opinion. You have your own opinion. Cool.

Reactions: ulrey and kkott
Local sources say UE is another landing spot for Hemenway. UE would allow him more playing time and he could light up the MVC.

It would be difficult to pass on a +40% 3 point shooter when shooting has been a weakness for us. I'm okay if he comes. I don't want to forget about Newton, Leal and Cupps.

Local sources say UE is another landing spot for Hemenway. UE would allow him more playing time and he could light up the MVC.

It would be difficult to pass on a +40% 3 point shooter when shooting has been a weakness for us. I'm okay if he comes. I don't want to forget about Newton, Leal and Cupps.
Fine line here...ultimately, I just want IU to break through and compete for B10 titles and FFs again. And if that means guys like the ones you mentioned don't get much, if any, playing time... so be it.

But I'd be lying if I said I didn't really, really hope those 3 prove "everyone" wrong and force their way in to the lineup, despite all the additions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT