ADVERTISEMENT

Hard to believe, coach DeBoer has lost two QB commits in 2024 class

Same for me. I'm not going to either coast.
I get to NY once a year for a couple shows and Napa is the only place I will go in CA and kinda burned out on that. Pretty sure I will never see another game at psu or my first at Rutger, usc or ucla. Have no interest in going back to Ahia or Minny but will likely see a game or two in all the rest. Almost always go to the bucket game in Laffy.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Hoosiers travel extremely well for basketball! There will be a lot of Hoosier fans there - I already have my airfare and lodging.
I’m sure we’ll be well represented, but Atlanta is overflowing with Auburn grads and fans.

Agreed. We've had B1G $ for a while but it hasn't helped us much, except for paying Deboer $ his 1 year here. His replacements have been less than stellar.

Money isn't fixing IUFB.

A better structured conference will.
IMO a restructured conference can give IU a chance to fix its FB program but it won’t happen without spending more money too—renovating or replacing Mellencamp ASAP, possibly adding “real” suites to the East stands (maybe 7-10 years down the road?), and conceivably even having to hire a new coaching staff in the near future (unfortunately).

• Wow
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
IMO a restructured conference can give IU a chance to fix its FB program but it won’t happen without spending more money too—renovating or replacing Mellencamp ASAP, possibly adding “real” suites to the East stands (maybe 7-10 years down the road?), and conceivably even having to hire a new coaching staff in the near future (unfortunately).

exactly what decade are you living in, because you obviously aren't living in 2023?

i get it that the construction lobby is incredibly well represented on this forum, but allocation of funds priorities has changed drastically, and what needs to be the new priority isn't rocket science.

and while i learned long ago that coaching wasn't IU's big problem in fball, (something many hoping for a magic potion fix never learn), regardless, in the future, coaches in demand won't be asking about practice fields or luxury suites or weight rooms when evaluating offers.

they'll be asking how much are you budgeting for players.

personally, i don't think the current total insanity NIL model will last long before a different model of giving players some compensation replaces it, but until such time, it is what it is.

There are some die hards that will travel and some Hoosiers that live there but U have seen no demographic data to support attendance…just talk
Reports I have read say there are a number of Hoosier Alumni there so you are wrong about me.

Reactions: baileyiu
exactly what decade are you living in, because you obviously aren't living in 2023?

i get it that the construction lobby is incredibly well represented on this forum, but allocation of funds priorities has changed drastically, and what needs to be the new priority isn't rocket science.

and while i learned long ago that coaching wasn't IU's big problem in fball, (something many hoping for a magic potion fix never learn), regardless, in the future, coaches in demand won't be asking about practice fields or luxury suites or weight rooms when evaluating offers.

they'll be asking how much are you budgeting for players.

personally, i don't think the current total insanity NIL model will last long before a different model of giving players some compensation replaces it, but until such time, it is what it is.
I have said all along that rev sharing will be on the table soon. That will change the game again.

Agreed. We've had B1G $ for a while but it hasn't helped us much, except for paying Deboer $ his 1 year here. His replacements have been less than stellar.

Money isn't fixing IUFB.

You mean restructuring like in IU in the MAC?

Reactions: vesuvius13
At least one of the teams, Auburn, was playing in its home state. Pennsylvania and Indiana playing in Maryland..... Hmmm ..
I enjoyed watching IU in an NFL venue, with the Smithsonian and other DC places to surround the game. Great trip. We played OK - had a shot. Down 17-14 at half and down 31-24 at end of 3. Fell off in 4th due to depth. (PSU kept the ball for 10:37 of the 4th quarter. Chappell was as good as McGloin. We actually averaged more YPC (4.3 vs. 4.1) than PSU - with Trea Burgess as the starter!

Money isn't fixing IUFB.

Better coaching would help IU move up. I’m convinced we are underachieving.

Did you believe this in 2019 or 2020 when we had a very good OC [2019] and a very good DC [2019 - 2020]. So much of being good in B1G East is having very good assistant coaches and those two seasons proved that.
It was far more complex than simply the contributions of two coaches, as we’ve discussed here previously.

• Haha
Reactions: Courtsensetwo
Yup the contributions to accomplishment and achievement by an OC and DC are so overrated. Especially the 1's destined for HCing gigs. Believe strongly we should strive to keep IUFB underachieving by never allowing those traits to be the model for future staff selections.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
Yup the contributions to accomplishment and achievement by an OC and DC are so overrated. Especially the 1's destined for HCing gigs. Believe strongly we should strive to keep IUFB underachieving by never allowing those traits to be the model for future staff selections.
No one claimed the contributions of the OC and DC were overrated, only that there was much more to the success of those seasons (as well as the subsequent steep fall we’ve experienced since that time) than simply those two individuals. I think even the most casual of fans can understand that.

You're still dying on this hill??

Cam Cameron, Gerry DiNardo, Bill Lynch, and now Tom Allen are not just a big problem...it's THE problem. Cameron, Di Nardo, and Lynch COMBINED went on to coach ZERO D1 football games after being fired from Indiana and Tom Allen will likely follow suit. Allen and Cameron at best are decent P5 coordinators, DiNardo and Lynch are just flat terrible. DiNardo went 2-10 at LSU in his last year for crying out loud and Lynch ended up at D3 DePauw.

Did you believe this in 2019 or 2020 when we had a very good OC [2019] and a very good DC [2019 - 2020]. So much of being good in B1G East is having very good assistant coaches and those two seasons proved that.
Did you forget? 2020 was a fluke since IU was the only team in the nation not affected by covid. We learned that here time and again from two "different" sources.

TIC

Did you forget? 2020 was a fluke since IU was the only team in the nation not affected by covid. We learned that here time and again from two "different" sources.

TIC
Yes, those posters didn't want to admit IU did better than the other schools in 2020. I guess it was hard for some to admit IU coach managed 2020 better than the other schools. Coach Allen has had a tough time getting the right coordinators since DeBoer [of course he recommended Sheridan to coach] and coach Wommack; I hope he has the right ones this year.

Yes, those posters didn't want to admit IU did better than the other schools in 2020. I guess it was hard for some to admit IU coach managed 2020 better than the other schools. Coach Allen has had a tough time getting the right coordinators since DeBoer [of course he recommended Sheridan to coach] and coach Wommack; I hope he has the right ones this year.
They're the same two coordinators as last year...

I’ve actually said our coaches managed our approach better than did others while making The most of our known advantages during that season. For some reason, people think that’s a negative, which it obviously is not. We caught lightning in a bottle, but that’s not easy to do, as we’ve seen recently.

Last edited:

It’s the entire body of work…..and it’s not good.
Allen inherited a pretty decent roster coming off a bowl game and a 6- win season after 2016. He has two fairly mediocre seasons in 2017 and 2018 and got schooled by a brand new coach up north who had a much more unstable situation. Then he has 2 good seasons and appears to be building something and on the right trajectory. Followed by two terrible seasons.
It never is a good look when a coach cannot sustain the groundwork they laid from 2019-2020. Good coaches don’t completely fall off the map and have squads that are night and day from two back-to-back good years. Mediocre, I can understand but abysmal I cannot and buy in to that being the mark of a good coach.

It is only one, just two different names. The purdue fans were triggered by our success to the point they made up stories about IU not being affected by covid and that we faked our way out of the Bucket game.

So predictable.

You're still dying on this hill??

Cam Cameron, Gerry DiNardo, Bill Lynch, and now Tom Allen are not just a big problem...it's THE problem. Cameron, Di Nardo, and Lynch COMBINED went on to coach ZERO D1 football games after being fired from Indiana and Tom Allen will likely follow suit. Allen and Cameron at best are decent P5 coordinators, DiNardo and Lynch are just flat terrible. DiNardo went 2-10 at LSU in his last year for crying out loud and Lynch ended up at D3 DePauw.
I think you're underestimating Lynch as OC. He was pretty good, considering his situation.

He wasn't a bad HC, but had 2 classes with zero recruiting with Hep's cancer. He had the program back on track to respectability.

At his age, Lynch wasn't going to another D1 program. He was a good coach at DePauw and a respected FB coach. You're way off base, trashing him.

I think you're underestimating Lynch as OC. He was pretty good, considering his situation.

He wasn't a bad HC, but had 2 classes with zero recruiting with Hep's cancer. He had the program back on track to respectability.

At his age, Lynch wasn't going to another D1 program. He was a good coach at DePauw and a respected FB coach. You're way off base, trashing him.
I agree with this. Lost all momentum with the Hep situation. Hep was the right guy.

I agree with this. Lost all momentum with the Hep situation. Hep was the right guy.
Yes, Hep was perfect for IU. He would have stayed at IU forever.

He was solid as a coach and believed in a strong OL, with his 7 Blocks of Limestone.

His cancer was a terrible tragedy for his family and IU. I will always believe our win vs Purdue in 2007 was due to Hep guiding that ball through the goal post (no offense to our excellent kicker, Starr).

Yes, Hep was perfect for IU. He would have stayed at IU forever.

He was solid as a coach and believed in a strong OL, with his 7 Blocks of Limestone.

His cancer was a terrible tragedy for his family and IU. I will always believe our win vs Purdue in 2007 was due to Hep guiding that ball through the goal post (no offense to our excellent kicker, Starr).
Glioblastoma is just brutal.

It’s the entire body of work…..and it’s not good.
Allen inherited a pretty decent roster coming off a bowl game and a 6- win season after 2016. He has two fairly mediocre seasons in 2017 and 2018 and got schooled by a brand new coach up north who had a much more unstable situation. Then he has 2 good seasons and appears to be building something and on the right trajectory. Followed by two terrible seasons.
It never is a good look when a coach cannot sustain the groundwork they laid from 2019-2020. Good coaches don’t completely fall off the map and have squads that are night and day from two back-to-back good years. Mediocre, I can understand but abysmal I cannot and buy in to that being the mark of a good coach.
He had two low classes in seniors and juniors to deal with from coach Wilson as he couldn't pull in players due to reports of what Wilson did to injured players. You just hate coach Allen and the two bad years were due to coaches he pulled in but told coaches to find new jobs. Those coaches weren't very good for players that started and pushed to the sidelines and they transfered.

He had two low classes in seniors and juniors to deal with from coach Wilson as he couldn't pull in players due to reports of what Wilson did to injured players. You just hate coach Allen and the two bad years were due to coaches he pulled in but told coaches to find new jobs. Those coaches weren't very good for players that started and pushed to the sidelines and they transfered.
What / who are your sources for this?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT