Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2001
Duckburg
4th and 1
Own 29 yard line
1:11 left
Tie game

Obvious punt, right? Because giving Washington State the ball is an almost chip shot FG automatic loss, the loss of an undefeated season, likely the loss of a spot in top 4 of playoff ranking.

Nope. Deboer calls a QB read option pitch. Penix fakes to the RB and pitches to super WR Odunze for a 23 yard first down run. Washington wins on FG.

Cajones. Confidence. Execution.

Then Penix has a near breakdown. Can’t watch the winning kick. Gets a blanket thrown over his head to leave field. Shaky “next question” performance in post-game podium interview. Their board “on the other site” is full of “something is wrong - is he injured? - “ribs?” - “changed mechanics” - “just a vent of emotion” posts.

Personally, I think Penix’ quick release makes Washington one of the few schools that can overcome an SEC-predator-defense. Trying to play Smash Mouth against Georgia won’t get most folks very far. We shall soon see.

Even though it reflects poorly on us, I’m rooting hard for Penix. Hope he is OK. They won’t give him the Heisman, because that has to go to an SEC guy this year. Thems the rules.

4th and 1
Own 29 yard line
Tie game

Obvious punt, right? Because giving Washington State the ball is an almost chip shot FG automatic loss, the loss of an undefeated season, likely the loss of a spot in top 4 of playoff ranking.

Nope. Deboer calls a QB read option pitch. Penix fakes to the RB and pitches to super WR Odunze for a 23 yard first down run. Washington wins on FG.

Then Penix has a near breakdown. Can’t watch the winning kick. Gets a blanket thrown over his head to leave field. Shaky “next question” performance in post-game podium interview. Their board “on the other site” is full of “something is wrong - is he injured? - “ribs?” - “changed mechanics” - “just a vent of emotion” posts.

Personally, I think Penix’ quick release makes Washington one of the few schools that can overcome an SEC-predator-defense. Trying to play Smash Mouth against Georgia won’t get most folks very far. We shall soon see.

Even though it reflects poorly on us, I’m rooting hard for Penix. Hope he is OK. They won’t give him the Heisman, because that has to go to an SEC guy this year. Thems the rules.
i'm pulling for penix all the way. undefeated natty and heisman

The biggest difference being at UDub for both coaches is the OL. UDub has a history of having great OL's. I lived out there during their NC in the early 90s and that place would shake and rock from the noise. Penix's release is fast and he has great WR and TE's to throw to. Why doesn't IU offer their OC a bag of money? Yet he has no HC experience either but has been with Deboer at Fresno State.

Their offense might be able to beat SEC teams but I question their defense in that type of game. Yet I read a year or so ago that statistics show in the playoffs it is not the defense that wins games but high powered offenses ... who can score the most, and the last for a National Championship.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I remember when Deboer was hired at UDub. Their fan forums exploded with anger. They wanted, were entitled, deserved a "big name" coach because they were a big time program with a history. I tried calming them and my old friends down out there, to no avail. They love him now though.

I hope UW makes it to the CFP but they have to beat Oregon, and I’m not sure UW has the defense to do this (again). Love to see Penix take down Michigan or Georgia.
I agree and even though I am a Dawg fan from the time I lived out there, I don't think they beat Oregon a second time. I didn't think they would win that first game with them. Oregon has been consistently winning all season, mashing teams. They had the UDub game won.

I've tried to watch all of Washington's games (and UCLA because of Carson Steele). It does for sure look like something is not quite right with Penix. Hard to say what it is, but I absolutely cringe when he's forced to run.

I agree and even though I am a Dawg fan from the time I lived out there, I don't think they beat Oregon a second time. I didn't think they would win that first game with them. Oregon has been consistently winning all season, mashing teams. They had the UDub game won.
Ore St has been a machine. I don't see Washington beating them unless States coach gets stupid again.

Ore St has been a machine. I don't see Washington beating them unless States coach gets stupid again.
Oregon you mean...and I agree, I think they're likely a better football team. Many think they outplayed Washington the first time around, in Husky Stadium. And they've gotten markedly better as the season has progressed. Not sure Washington has. I wouldn't be shocked if Oregon smacked them this weekend.

Reactions: iubhounds
4th and 1
Own 29 yard line
Tie game

4th and 1
Own 29 yard line
Tie game

I posted about the ending on Premie. Hope Penix is ok and was just being emotional.

I couldn't figure out what they were doing the last several plays. They were already in FG range and if I remember right Penix threw 2 risky passes into heavy coverage and then took a sack.

I've been pulling for them all season and hope they make the top 4.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
I saw the end of the Washington Game. That's an example of a Coach Who wants to take charge and control in order to Win, rather than one who doesn't want control and responsibility and plays not to lose.

I saw the end of the Washington Game. That's an example of a Coach Who wants to take charge and control in order to Win, rather than one who doesn't want control and responsibility and plays not to lose.
On the contrary, you have Oregon's coach that gave away the UW game by taking charge and control.

I've tried to watch all of Washington's games (and UCLA because of Carson Steele). It does for sure look like something is not quite right with Penix. Hard to say what it is, but I absolutely cringe when he's forced to run.
He had rib injuries from a game prior to the games that were close at the end of the season. He seemed healed up for Oregon.

Reactions: 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT