ADVERTISEMENT

Hard to believe, coach DeBoer has lost two QB commits in 2024 class

One to OSU and this second one to Texas A&M. It has to be NIL money as they won't find a better QB coach or OC and Washington is trending with 11 wins last season. Recruiting makes no sense at times.
It is ALL about NIL. I teach at a high school in Florida that turns out quite a few big time D1 recruits and they all go to the highest bidder.

I'm trying to figure out how a California team playing a conference away game in eastern Pennsylvania or New Jersey makes any sense. Heck, I still can't figure out how Penn State, Maryland, or Rutgers makes any sense in the Big Ten.
I think it’s appealing to young people to be able to play at these historical stadiums across the country. It was one of Notre Dame’s main appealing factors over the last 70 years or so.
It should help everyone in the conference with recruiting as well to go along with that additional revenue.

I think it’s appealing to young people to be able to play at these historical stadiums across the country. It was one of Notre Dame’s main appealing factors over the last 70 years or so.
It should help everyone in the conference with recruiting as well to go along with that additional revenue.
Playing ND in SB while the world watches is a different animal than playing at Rutger or PS.

One is big ugly erector set filled with JoPa apologists on a terrible campus you can't get to. The other is filled with orange people in freaking NJ. Not much appeal.

This is about money

Screw the students and alumni.

This is a money grab, without question. If the BT had remained static, our revenues would be substantially less and certain members would’ve been highly susceptible to poaching by other conferences. It stinks that the old days are gone, but we were either going to ride the wave (and we’re at the crest of it) or have it wash over our heads.

This is a money grab, without question. If the BT had remained static, our revenues would be substantially less and certain members would’ve been highly susceptible to poaching by other conferences. It stinks that the old days are gone, but we were either going to ride the wave (and we’re at the crest of it) or have it wash over our heads.
I prefer the regional conferences: call me old fashioned. How much money does a conference need? Greed doesn't have to be the bottom line for everything.

I prefer the regional conferences: call me old fashioned. How much money does a conference need? Greed doesn't have to be the bottom line for everything.
We certainly could (or could’ve) refuse to get more money or, like the P12, watched as others collectively enriched themselves while they did not. That likely would’ve resulted in decreased performance on the playing field over time, a reduction in non-revenue sports, and a deterioration of existing facilities (not to mention a moratorium on new ones). Expenses would’ve needed to be more limited, as well, since diminishing revenues would dictate that.

Bob Knight, Myles Brand and Murray Sperber all spoke about the need to de-emphasize or otherwise ‘lower the volume’ of college sports. There’s certainly a valid argument for doing that, and declining to enter the conference consolidation and subsequent media money madness would’ve been a definitive step in that direction.

Agreed. We've had B1G $ for a while but it hasn't helped us much, except for paying Deboer $ his 1 year here. His replacements have been less than stellar.

Money isn't fixing IUFB.

A better structured conference will.

I know the B10 made the move for money. Was just pointing out some potential positive factors.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I know the B10 made the move for money. Was just pointing out some potential positive factors.
Oh, I agree. Two storied athletic programs, two outstanding academic institutions (both are easily top half of the conference academically), a part of the country full of Midwestern transplants and Big Ten alums, the bright lights and sunshine of Southern California . . . There’s a lot to like.

We certainly could (or could’ve) refuse to get more money or, like the P12, watched as others collectively enriched themselves while they did not. That likely would’ve resulted in decreased performance on the playing field over time, a reduction in non-revenue sports, and a deterioration of existing facilities (not to mention a moratorium on new ones). Expenses would’ve needed to be more limited, as well, since diminishing revenues would dictate that.

more falsehoods.

I'm trying to figure out how a California team playing a conference away game in eastern Pennsylvania or New Jersey makes any sense. Heck, I still can't figure out how Penn State, Maryland, or Rutgers makes any sense in the Big Ten.
Or playing Penn State in a home game in Maryland.

Reactions: td75
Or playing Penn State in a home game in Maryland.

or playing Auburn in basketball in Atlanta.

For those who aren’t fortunate enough to travel much, here is some telling data regarding the location of Big Ten alums, and it’s why the fit in the West with certain PAC 12 schools makes so much sense:

“There are only four markets in the entire country that drew more than 1% of the graduates from every single Big Ten school: New York, Los Angeles, Washington and San Francisco. None of these metro areas are located in the Midwest. Not even Chicago, the heart of the Big Ten, covered every single conference school, albeit the two sub-1% exceptions are the latest East Coast additions of Maryland and Rutgers.

To be sure, the Wall Street Journal notes that those four particular markets draw from a much wider range of colleges across the country. The sheer sizes of the New York and Los Angeles markets swallow up a lot of college grads and all four of the cities have strengths in industries that attract a national talent pool: finance in New York, entertainment in Los Angeles**, tech in San Francisco, and government and politics in Washington.”

I know the differences in distance. Just saying that USC or UCLA would be a more desirable destination for a football weekend than IA or NJ. I bet more people would go for it than would trudge to the latter. Or not.
The fact of the matter is that there are not a lot of visiting fans at games now (some exceptions of course). So the fact that the west coast teams are so isolated from the rest of the league both geographically and alumni wise affects interest and start times more than attendance.

A money play with no consideration for the fans or student athletes who have to travel. Personally, I don't go to CA much anymore so I may never see a game there.

The fact of the matter is that there are not a lot of visiting fans at games now (some exceptions of course). So the fact that the west coast teams are so isolated from the rest of the league both geographically and alumni wise affects interest and start times more than attendance.

A money play with no consideration for the fans or student athletes who have to travel. Personally, I don't go to CA much anymore so I may never see a game there.
Same for me. I'm not going to either coast.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT