ADVERTISEMENT

Duke makes me sad

Duke does not use basketball as an excuse to not
win at football. So called basketball schools can
be really good at both with the proper support
and backing. Noticed the Duke students stuck
around for the whole game.
Well, it wasn't 90+ degrees in the blazing sun, either.

You can call that an excuse, but it was brutal. I stayed for the entire game, but I was in the shade by halftime on the west side.

Reactions: vesuvius13

You can call that an excuse, but it was brutal. I stayed for the entire game, but I was in the shade by halftime on the west side.
Yeah. The clouds didn't cover me until the 4th quarter. Supposed to be cool Friday.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
It really is about the culture. Students at some school just don’t give a F about sports. The spiral started years ago when bball fell apart. I’m not sure even winning will fix the apathy of the IU student base. They like to drink, smoke the J, play on their gadgets…..sports are secondary to many. Apparently this is not the case at certain other schools.
Yeah, it's hard to believe some students actually attend college to learn something.

What chumps.

Yeah. The clouds didn't cover me until the 4th quarter. Supposed to be cool Friday.
I've very rarely voluntarily missed an IU home FB game, but damned if I'll drive up from Charlotte to watch us play Indiana F'ing State. Especially when I'll be coming up the week after for the Louisville game.

You guys are on your own Friday. ;)

I've very rarely voluntarily missed an IU home FB game, but damned if I'll drive up from Charlotte to watch us play Indiana F'ing State. Especially when I'll be coming up the week after for the Louisville game.

You guys are on your own Friday. ;)
A lot of folks going to get a chance to play Friday. Our QB's need rep's going into Louisville.

You seem like a decent guy but please don’t buy the Ordfan nonsense. The poster perpetuating that apparently has a history of this kind of thing, dating back the prior owners of the site. I’m just one in a long line of targets. Truly amazing stuff.
Ok, Jack mentioned it up above. Trust me, I don't want in the middle of that either.

End of the day, I think if we changed up our approach to some things a bit it would lead to more wins. More wins lead to more and engaged fans which improves game day environment. An improved environment attracts more people who want to be part of an event. Before you know it Indiana is a respectable program. I don't think Michigan and Ohio State is in our cards but we could be a Washington.

Ok, Jack mentioned it up above. Trust me, I don't want in the middle of that either.

End of the day, I think if we changed up our approach to some things a bit it would lead to more wins. More wins lead to more and engaged fans which improves game day environment. An improved environment attracts more people who want to be part of an event. Before you know it Indiana is a respectable program. I don't think Michigan and Ohio State is in our cards but we could be a Washington.
Well, Washington was not Washington until Deboer came along.

It's all coaching in the college game - Randy Walker and Pat Fitzgerald proved that.

Your idea of paying to get a HC is the key. We've got $50+ million coming into IU from the BTN deal. Facilities are nice, but put that money into coaches - especially quality assistants.

Right - I attended. Got a BS and PhD and never missed a football or basketball game. And believe me it was during some of our worst football years (which was/is most years)!
I wasn't talking about you, specifically, but your sarcastic post about 'other' schools having higher priority for sports is BS, imo. IU students sell out their allotment in basketabll and, for one of the most historically inept football programs in college history, I think our students' attendance is pretty damn good - better, percentage-wise, that the alumni.

I've been away (involuntarily) for a while and came back to discuss football. I didn't think it would turn into a basketball discussion that includes one of my favorite posters.

I realize that too, but that goes back to the point that it isn't so much the students who dictate how things fo at Indiana, it is the old heads. And we aren't the only ones, the UNC and UK fan bases are similar as well. Older fans don't normally get too jacked over beating Rutgers and 18-22 year olds in the nose bleeds don't add a bunch of noise on their own.

Someone up above was saying the students don't bring it but IMO what we have is by design. Ordfan mentioned it in one of his responses up above. The way we did it in 1992 used to be enough because we had a HoF coach and were coming off of 3 titles in 11 years. Things changed....

In the case of football, we run the game day environment like it is 1989.
19-23 year olds tend to live in the moment and their response to a game is black or white.

If we were building a new arena there would still be a fight from the alumni to give up the better seats. I have earned them through loyalty and contribution. Every student today has the same opportunity I did. Those that graduated in the past 15 years have actually had it easier and cheaper than I did.

And there's nothing we can do about that. TV rules the schedule. When and where is up to them

Reactions: jsenleo and DANC
And there's nothing we can do about that. TV rules the schedule. When and where is up to them
There are a fair number of people who post on the football board that rarely go to games.

I don't need to hear anything about the students when they're not sitting in that furnace.

The Duke game was at night - quite a difference.

Good thing you don't live in Alabama, Louisiana or
any other state in the SEC.

There are a fair number of people who post on the football board that rarely go to games.
Guilty. 😀
I don't need to hear anything about the students when they're not sitting in that furnace.
I agree with you above. I think the student support isn't bad given historical results.
They also have a smaller stadium. I had the posy up above where our attendance averages were above several BIG schools the last 5 years. Part of our issue is that we have a stadium that was built larger than our fan support. Our average fan attendance is a sell out in Duke's Stadium. Granted we have a larger alumni base. We thought big when we built Memorial Stadium and failed to follow through on everything else.

I agree. More night games this time of year. But that's not up to us. We sold that right a long time ago

Reactions: DANC
Guilty. 😀

I agree with you above. I think the student support isn't bad given historical results.

They also have a smaller stadium. I had the posy up above where our attendance averages were above several BIG schools the last 5 years. Part of our issue is that we have a stadium that was built larger than our fan support. Our average fan attendance is a sell out in Duke's Stadium. Granted we have a larger alumni base. We thought big when we built Memorial Stadium and failed to follow through on everything else.
If you haven't been to Memorial Stadium in a while, you should go. It's a great place to watch football and looks more modern than many other stadiums out there.

My buddy, @Joe_Hoopsier went to get a hot dog at halftime and was back before kick-off - not bad for a packed stadium. The concessions and bathrooms are not much better than average, but that shouldn't keep anyone away.

I think we lead the league - or are one of the leaders - in tailgating. Come to a game and I'll hook you up with tickets and tailgate.

We’re on the same page and I completely understand where you’re coming from. Frustrating to be an IU football fan and feel like we have so much to offer kids and coaches . . . I’m obviously concerned that we’re stuck in this cruel loop that a lack of leadership always produces. Hope we get there someday and have big crowds that stay until the end.

I hope to finally freaking retire - or at least semi retire - very soon. I’m looking forward to returning regularly for games no matter the state of our program. A little IU football, golf at the new university course and some Mother Bears… beats the hell out of what I’m doing as I type this!!!

Reactions: DANC
I hope to finally freaking retire - or at least semi retire - very soon. I’m looking forward to returning regularly for games no matter the state of our program. A little IU football, golf at the new university course and some Mother Bears… beats the hell out of what I’m doing as I type this!!!
A bunch of our old crew gets together for tailgating. Every year, the time we get to spend in Bloomington gets sweeter.

As we agreed, it's our happy place.

If you haven't been to Memorial Stadium in a while, you should go. It's a great place to watch football and looks more modern than many other stadiums out there.

My buddy, @Joe_Hoopsier went to get a hot dog at halftime and was back before kick-off - not bad for a packed stadium. The concessions and bathrooms are not much better than average, but that shouldn't keep anyone away.

I think we lead the league - or are one of the leaders - in tailgating. Come to a game and I'll hook you up with tickets and tailgate.
Last game I went to was against Michigan coming out of the COVID year. With the kids we usually have stuff going on on the weekends.

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
Why are they able to be good at both football and basketball?

(They are on the verge of upsetting Clemson as I type)
That was some performance, and their running backs were awesome. Clemson was unlucky and probably will go on to win 10 games. But the physicality of Duke was impressive. They have already established themselves as one of the best teams in the country.

Our present DC and Safeties coach coached an AA at Duke.
I don’t think the ACC is a top heavy as the BiG East or it predecessor.
How about the BiG schedule a crossover week with 1E v 1W from the previous season.

Dolson is a significantly worse AD than Fred Glass. At least Glass actually cared about football and wanted it to be something here and believed it could be. Dolson is part of the old-guard at Indiana that couldn't give two sh*ts about FB.
Fred Glass couldn’t hire a good football or basketball coach to save his life. He did nothing for the football program except spend the bare minimum to make the facilities passable.

The current President of the BOT is a former IU footballer. He was also responsible for both removing a basketball coach and persuading an AD to “retire”. That’s a pretty good place to start, though we blew off someone as an AD candidate who could’ve and would’ve helped immeasurably with football.

You’re speaking of Pat Kraft, right?

It really is about the culture. Students at some school just don’t give a F about sports. The spiral started years ago when bball fell apart. I’m not sure even winning will fix the apathy of the IU student base. They like to drink, smoke the J, play on their gadgets…..sports are secondary to many. Apparently this is not the case at certain other schools.
Smoken the J?

My opinions on the problems with IU football...that are not easily solved, but with all the money that's now readily available, and ever increasing...they better figure out how to utilze the money and solve these things, or WE WILL go the way of Oregon State and Washington State when/if the B10 decides it needs to trim some fat...or probably more realistically, when major college football decides to do its own thing, and leave the conference structure all together.

1. Upgrade the coaching staff. Easier said than done. But use some of the TV windfall of money, to dramatically increase the pay structure for ALL the coaches. When they inevitably fire Tom Allen...they need 100% overhaul. Almost like you're rebranding yourself. "We used to pay our coaching staffs this...now we're paying them 2X that amount, and we're giving all of them NetJets access, and, and, and..."

2. As a part of number 1...scour NFL organizations to build an organized "NFL-Prep" support staff. Trainers, nutritionists, strength coaches, assistant coaches, social media advisors...go find, and pay them, to come build IU as THE best organization for preparing kids for the NFL. The main coaches don't have to be NFL guys, that actually rarely works well...but you could fill out 75% of the lower part of your coaching and support staff with NFL people.

3. Memorial Stadium looks cooler now, but its not a place anyone wants to go "hang out". Not sure if it was on this board or not, but there was a post about Saturdays game showing one of the 40 ish inch TVs, by one of the concession stands, that had all of the cords sticking out. I wouldn't put a TV that small in my house, and would never allow the cords to be sticking out like that. Its embarrassing. And while I can feel the football purists rolling their eyes...things like that do matter. Its an impression that someone on the fence about attending IU football games, or choosing to stay in the stadium versus heading back to their tailgate, or then either making fun of, or convincing their friends to come with them to the next game...its an impression that I'm sure is hurting IU football. Use that windfall of money to create a concourse that makes Memorial Stadium THE attraction. A place that people can't wait to leave their tailgates for. A comfortable place where you can get a hot dog and a beer, and not miss an entire quarter.

4. Again, from the windfall of money...have an ongoing budget for player focused facilities. Improve/replace Mellencamp. I walked through Notre Dame's indoor facility this spring...and I just shook my head thinking what a kid would be thinking if he visited IU and Notre Dame close together. Make some of it a multipurpose facility. If they don't already have a sports medicine arm for their medical school, create one, use these new facilities for those students too. Then use those efforts to further boost your football program's image.

I have no idea who the "decision makers" are for who gets to keep enjoying all the benefits of all this TV contact/realignment money train. But if they're looking closely at IU, and how they're using their portion of the money...ugh. Our coaching staff is sub par...the most recent South End zone project is borderline embarrassing...Mellencamp is antiquated... At some point, we will get asked the question...what exactly are you doing with all that money? What exactly are you contributing to the cause? Why do we need you any more?

So should we be considered only a soccer school then?
Aged farts remember when IU was a swimming and diving school. Doc Counsilman and Hoby Billingsley were the Bob Knight’s of their respective sports, hence the name of our swim team’s aquatic center today.

Passing thoughts to ponder upon porcelain throne when prompted…why is it farts never seem to age well like fine wine, given time?
What might the chemistry of farts be? Why is odiferous fart, once spooned, not like flower bloomed?

My opinions on the problems with IU football...that are not easily solved, but with all the money that's now readily available, and ever increasing...they better figure out how to utilze the money and solve these things, or WE WILL go the way of Oregon State and Washington State when/if the B10 decides it needs to trim some fat...or probably more realistically, when major college football decides to do its own thing, and leave the conference structure all together.

1. Upgrade the coaching staff. Easier said than done. But use some of the TV windfall of money, to dramatically increase the pay structure for ALL the coaches. When they inevitably fire Tom Allen...they need 100% overhaul. Almost like you're rebranding yourself. "We used to pay our coaching staffs this...now we're paying them 2X that amount, and we're giving all of them NetJets access, and, and, and..."

2. As a part of number 1...scour NFL organizations to build an organized "NFL-Prep" support staff. Trainers, nutritionists, strength coaches, assistant coaches, social media advisors...go find, and pay them, to come build IU as THE best organization for preparing kids for the NFL. The main coaches don't have to be NFL guys, that actually rarely works well...but you could fill out 75% of the lower part of your coaching and support staff with NFL people.

3. Memorial Stadium looks cooler now, but its not a place anyone wants to go "hang out". Not sure if it was on this board or not, but there was a post about Saturdays game showing one of the 40 ish inch TVs, by one of the concession stands, that had all of the cords sticking out. I wouldn't put a TV that small in my house, and would never allow the cords to be sticking out like that. Its embarrassing. And while I can feel the football purists rolling their eyes...things like that do matter. Its an impression that someone on the fence about attending IU football games, or choosing to stay in the stadium versus heading back to their tailgate, or then either making fun of, or convincing their friends to come with them to the next game...its an impression that I'm sure is hurting IU football. Use that windfall of money to create a concourse that makes Memorial Stadium THE attraction. A place that people can't wait to leave their tailgates for. A comfortable place where you can get a hot dog and a beer, and not miss an entire quarter.

4. Again, from the windfall of money...have an ongoing budget for player focused facilities. Improve/replace Mellencamp. I walked through Notre Dame's indoor facility this spring...and I just shook my head thinking what a kid would be thinking if he visited IU and Notre Dame close together. Make some of it a multipurpose facility. If they don't already have a sports medicine arm for their medical school, create one, use these new facilities for those students too. Then use those efforts to further boost your football program's image.

I have no idea who the "decision makers" are for who gets to keep enjoying all the benefits of all this TV contact/realignment money train. But if they're looking closely at IU, and how they're using their portion of the money...ugh. Our coaching staff is sub par...the most recent South End zone project is borderline embarrassing...Mellencamp is antiquated... At some point, we will get asked the question...what exactly are you doing with all that money? What exactly are you contributing to the cause? Why do we need you any more?
Regarding Memorial Stadium, I attended my first IU game the year it was built, 1960. I never dreamed the north and south ends would one day be enclosed. IU was behind the times already when they finally made that happen, but thankfully they did. Lee Corso’s Clown Show, his first game as IU coach, the team warmed up on the soccer field and arrived at the last minute on a red double-decker British bus driving down a paved road at the north end, leading directly onto the grass field. Corso led the team running in a red jump suit, what became his trademark coaching costume.

I visited the Florida Gators football stadium and a large group of people could be heard partying in the press box in an otherwise empty stadium on a Saturday of an away game. A local told me you can rent the press box for private gatherings. This was some guy’s bachelor party to watch the game. I’m not sure IU’s antiquated press box is conducive to something like this.

I wonder if having your football stadium be the dominating structure on campus, like that of Florida and Purdue’s, not so far removed, is worth a few thousand more studious butts in convenience and mind.

Mellencamp Pavillion, like its namesake, is an antiquated joke. Likewise, Harry Gladstein Fieldhouse (oh, please, people!) in such close proximity to Cook Hall, and now Wilkinson Hall, does not set well in the eye test as the yin-yang of architectural designs. Just the term “fieldhouse” reeks of time past its prime. Suggestion: level it and start anew.

Isn’t it just a matter of time before Mellencamp’s name is taken off the practice field? Classic white assholes, “bullies” if you will, don’t sit well with modern day liberal’s progressive ways of stink…excuse me, thinking.

Regarding Memorial Stadium, I attended my first IU game the year it was built, 1960. I never dreamed the north and south ends would one day be enclosed. IU was behind the times already when they finally made that happen, but thankfully they did. Lee Corso’s Clown Show, his first game as IU coach, the team warmed up on the soccer field and arrived at the last minute on a red double-decker British bus driving down a paved road at the north end, leading directly onto the grass field. Corso led the team running in a red jump suit, what became his trademark coaching costume.

I visited the Florida Gators football stadium and a large group of people could be heard partying in the press box in an otherwise empty stadium on a Saturday of an away game. A local told me you can rent the press box for private gatherings. This was some guy’s bachelor party to watch the game. I’m not sure IU’s antiquated press box is conducive to something like this.

I wonder if having your football stadium be the dominating structure on campus, like that of Florida and Purdue’s, not so far removed, is worth a few thousand more studious butts in convenience and mind.

Mellencamp Pavillion, like its namesake, is an antiquated joke. Likewise, Harry Gladstein Fieldhouse (oh, please, people!) in such close proximity to Cook Hall, and now Wilkinson Hall, does not set well in the eye test as the yin-yang of architectural designs. Just the term “fieldhouse” reeks of time past its prime. Suggestion: level it and start anew.

Isn’t it just a matter of time before Mellencamp’s name is taken off the practice field? Classic white assholes, “bullies” if you will, don’t sit well with modern day liberal’s progressive ways of stink…excuse me, thinking.
Dipping your toes in to some topics I think are probably more relevant than most would care to admit. But in the end, I don't think are important drivers.

Modernize. Spend. Approach your sports programs as pro sports prep programs. And utilize all the incredible resources at your disposal. Don't continue operating how you have in the past. Figure out how to integrate football, bball, etc... in with the rest of the university and community.

Mellencamp should be bulldozed and replaced with the Cuban Sports Science Center (just an example, pick a relevant/rich donor)...and make it the nicest indoor athletics training facility in the nation, that's also preplanned for scalability and modernization, so it can stay fresh for decades...and then also make it a mutli function building that houses sports medicine, physical therapy, etc...schools.

Build hotels into the concourse of Memorial Stadium. Get Marriott or Hilton to help pay for it. Have convention hall space. Maybe even have some of it house some classrooms. Have a school for sports marketing housed there. Have an indoor "knothole park" in the concourse. Completely redo the bathrooms, concessions, and general milling around area.

Create actual curriculum that center around all the various types of jobs that pro sports franchises have, that apparrel companies have, etc... And have most of their classes and activities centered in the Memorial Stadium, Assembly Hall, Cook Hall, New "Cuban Center", etc... area. Tie all of them together with really cool themed landscaping and paths. Build more dorms that also have grocery stores, bars, coffee shops, etc...

We're getting HUGE money coming in, but we're using it for small steps, small ideas, and old ways of doing things. We'll never catch up that way.

Reactions: nichlee
Dipping your toes in to some topics I think are probably more relevant than most would care to admit. But in the end, I don't think are important drivers.

Modernize. Spend. Approach your sports programs as pro sports prep programs. And utilize all the incredible resources at your disposal. Don't continue operating how you have in the past. Figure out how to integrate football, bball, etc... in with the rest of the university and community.

Mellencamp should be bulldozed and replaced with the Cuban Sports Science Center (just an example, pick a relevant/rich donor)...and make it the nicest indoor athletics training facility in the nation, that's also preplanned for scalability and modernization, so it can stay fresh for decades...and then also make it a mutli function building that houses sports medicine, physical therapy, etc...schools.

Build hotels into the concourse of Memorial Stadium. Get Marriott or Hilton to help pay for it. Have convention hall space. Maybe even have some of it house some classrooms. Have a school for sports marketing housed there. Have an indoor "knothole park" in the concourse. Completely redo the bathrooms, concessions, and general milling around area.

Create actual curriculum that center around all the various types of jobs that pro sports franchises have, that apparrel companies have, etc... And have most of their classes and activities centered in the Memorial Stadium, Assembly Hall, Cook Hall, New "Cuban Center", etc... area. Tie all of them together with really cool themed landscaping and paths. Build more dorms that also have grocery stores, bars, coffee shops, etc...

We're getting HUGE money coming in, but we're using it for small steps, small ideas, and old ways of doing things. We'll never catch up that way.
Is Cuban interested in iu football?

Is Cuban interested in iu football?
No clue? But we know he's interested in Sports Science and broadcasting. And he was just an example. IU has lots of very wealthy alums. Pitch the idea that their name will be on one of the most impressive, and cutting edge athletics AND sports medicine facilities in the nation...instead of some old renovated building...and maybe you tap in to someone's interests more? Heck, pay Dr. Andrews, or someone like him, to change his allegiances and move his practice North a little bit, and lead the "Andrews Orthopedics and Sports Medicine" program at IU?

Probably not realistic or feasible. Just thinking out of the box on how to amplify the money we should be spending anyways on the football program.

Reality will hit everyone when we are phased out of the conference, and it will happen as these conferences continue to evolve, morph or fall apart. It’s the reality of it. Fans on here believe that equal distribution of media rights money will continue that way forever. That too will slap us in the face sooner than fans realize.
You say this a lot. What is important to the conference? MONEY. Going to bowls and the CFP bring money to the conference for sure but what brings in the bulk of the money for the conference? Broadcast rights to football and to a lesser extent basketball. The most watched games in the conference every year are games involving IU.

Our coaches are good except for Bell, coach Allen had to pay some of his income. Dolson is a liar that he learned from Mallory and would support football, he hasn't making coach Allen pay for Sheridan to leave and hiring Bell. He spends his money everywhere else instead of the football coaches. We don't need NFL coaches but very good coach for OC who can't coach QBs very well, yes I know DeBoer spoiled us and led us astray about Sheridan who wasn't very good either. I wish coach Allen would go out of his way to not hire only people he knows or one of the ones the assistants want. I don't like the option unless you are wanting to get your QB drilled.

In the year 2525, if man is still alive
If woman can survive. They may find…your ways
finally implemented.

Your ideas make potential sense, but since realization exceeds the limits of my lifetime, I choose my dog to fight another fight with no dog in this fight we fight tonight. Alright?

Reactions: kmathum
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT