ADVERTISEMENT

driving in Btown area this weekend- looking for any current advice

Chicago-bound Hoosier

All-American
Mar 14, 2003
Get off my lawn
coming down for son's Kelly grad on Saturday morning. Hotels booked up too fast (one room did open up at the local Residence Inn but two night min and $575/night is Fk criminal). So staying at Marriott by Indy airport on Friday night, and then getting up early Saturday am to drive down and join the chaos. Just wondering if there are any road construction issues to avoid, etc....I plan to avoid the left turn light heading south on 67 over the river bridge as it will likely be backed up for miles. Just looking for any current intel. Thinking of taking the back way from the west, 231 down to Spencer then east on 46. I've warned my wife, she has no idea of the traffic nightmare waiting there on Saturday. She thinks we'll just walk out of graduation and go to lunch at Malibu and the wait will be 10 min or less, with parking across the street by the courthouse. She'll see.

Then we have to drive 290 miles home all the way back up north that night. So , long weekend ahead.

Last edited:
I69 is done from SR144 for South. Construction from SR144 on I69/SR37 to the North is a cluster F, especially on the weekend. If you decide not to go the back way, I'd take SR67 to SR144 to I69 only back up you'll have is in Bloomingto.

I69 is done from SR144 for South. Construction from SR144 on I69/SR37 to the North is a cluster F, especially on the weekend. If you decide not to go the back way, I'd take SR67 to SR144 to I69 only back up you'll have is in Bloomingto.
to Add to CGW's advice.... if you are around Mooresville (hwy67) anytime around dinner time.... hit up Gray Brothers Cafeteria.

https://www.graybroscafeteria.com/

Our daughter graduated back in 2014. I sure don't miss the Crowds as you mentioned CBH.

She and our SIL currently live in Ellettesville.

Unfortunately they don't have the space to rent out a guest room.

Safe travels and congrats on your son's Graduation CBH!!!!

From south of Indy to Bloomington was smooth sailing on 37 back in February for Mellencamp concert. No problems either way.

thanks all...as for Gray's cafeteria....I'm going to try and work that in...first time i went there was late 70s (I think...memory getting fuzzy) and was surprised to see it was still there all these years later.

Reactions: Tscurlo
The road through Martinsville between SR67 and SR37/I69 has been upgraded as it was the main detour while SR37/I69 was closed for construction. I don't know how bad the backup would be there on a busy day but probably less than it used to be.

coming down for son's Kelly grad on Saturday morning. Hotels booked up too fast (one room did open up at the local Residence Inn but two night min and $575/night is Fk criminal). So staying at Marriott by Indy airport on Friday night, and then getting up early Saturday am to drive down and join the chaos. Just wondering if there are any road construction issues to avoid, etc....I plan to avoid the left turn light heading south on 67 over the river bridge as it will likely be backed up for miles. Just looking for any current intel. Thinking of taking the back way from the west, 231 down to Spencer then east on 46. I've warned my wife, she has no idea of the traffic nightmare waiting there on Saturday. She thinks we'll just walk out of graduation and go to lunch at Malibu and the wait will be 10 min or less, with parking across the street by the courthouse. She'll see.

Then we have to drive 290 miles home all the way back up north that night. So , long weekend ahead.
Should’ve checked Airbnb. My sister and family were down a month ago and she found a great house to stay at in Ellettsville, just 10 minutes from campus.

Reactions: jiouhyu
Just leave super early. It’s crazy crowded. I went down on the Friday before last year and it still took forever.

Traffic will be a nightmare no matter how much you think ahead. Think a football Saturday where no one has been here before or knows where he's going.

Going down 67 to 231 and Spencer then over 46 might keep your blood pressure lower, but you won't gain any time.

If the weather is good and you're up to it and your kid lives close enough, go to his place and then consider walking to the stadium.

67 to Spencer, then east to Btown sounds crazy to me.

that's a lot of bad 2 lane hwy, and extra miles.

if you don't want to chance 37 south till it becomes 69, then do 67 to Mooresville and 144 to 37/69 as someone else suggested.

Thanks everyone. I’ll probably pass on the long trip out to Spencer, just seems like 20 extra miles for nothing. The problem for us has always been that light turning left off of southbound 67 in Martinsville when you go over the bridge. The left turn light on move-in Saturday was backed up 3 miles. I’m expecting the same thing Saturday morning, maybe worse.

Reactions: 76-1
Thanks everyone. I’ll probably pass on the long trip out to Spencer, just seems like 20 extra miles for nothing. The problem for us has always been that light turning left off of southbound 67 in Martinsville when you go over the bridge. The left turn light on move-in Saturday was backed up 3 miles. I’m expecting the same thing Saturday morning, maybe worse.
It shouldn't be as bad as it was in the fall before I-69 was open north of Martinsville. As was mentioned earlier, 67 to 144 in Mooresville should be an ideal route to B-town now.

I recommend staying on 67 until you get to Gosport. Take a left (south) at 7th street by the Dollar General store. Once you see Main Street, take a left until you see 5th street. Take a right which will soon become a T. Take another right which becomes County Line Road. It will lead you to 46 in roughly 6-8 miles. Head east from there.

This is more of a scenic route and keeps you from having to travel all the way to Spencer. Side note, I'd fill up the tank in Indy as the prices are better up there.

Traffic on I69 is not bad at all after SR144. It’s smooth sailing
This is not a state road anymore. I69 is an interstate made for handling heavy traffic. You’ll have no problem once you get 5 miles south of I465.

I drove down on a Friday night from Chgo for Little 5.

I had no issues b/t Indy and Bloomington.

Warning: all kinds of construction around W-Laffy. I made the mistake of stopping to get gas and food there….I suggest you do not get off 65 in that construction, as ramps back on South may be closed with no warning.

Drive safely, have fun and congrats.

This won’t help but have you been around long enough that you could drop down to the right into that motel and come straight across 67 intersection instead of waiting at that light to turn left? Would save 20 min on FB Saturday

Warning: all kinds of construction around W-Laffy. I made the mistake of stopping to get gas and food there….I suggest you do not get off 65 in that construction, as ramps back on South may be closed with no warning.

The only reason to ever stop around West Lafayette is to take a dump.

Traffic will be a nightmare no matter how much you think ahead. Think a football Saturday where no one has been here before or knows where he's going.

Going down 67 to 231 and Spencer then over 46 might keep your blood pressure lower, but you won't gain any time.

If the weather is good and you're up to it and your kid lives close enough, go to his place and then consider walking to the stadium.

Thx yep 65 in Laf area to Lebanon has been a mess for 2+ yrs.

This won’t help but have you been around long enough that you could drop down to the right into that motel and come straight across 67 intersection instead of waiting at that light to turn left? Would save 20 min on FB Saturday
Made this trip 5 times in past 18 months and didn’t even think of cutting across on 144 over to 69 so will probably try that. Regardless I think the biggest challenges await once we get into Btown. Malibu grill has been booked solid the entire day for months. At least the weather is supposed to be nice. Hope I see CMW walking around with Mgbako tomorrow.

Reactions: UncleMark
Made this trip 5 times in past 18 months and didn’t even think of cutting across on 144 over to 69 so will probably try that. Regardless I think the biggest challenges await once we get into Btown. Malibu grill has been booked solid the entire day for months. At least the weather is supposed to be nice. Hope I see CMW walking around with Mgbako tomorrow.
I have never gone 144. We go down early enough on gamedays that the left turn is not an issue. And we avoid days like tomorrow like the plague

And we avoid days like tomorrow like the plague
yeah not looking forward to the traffic chaos. Sometimes you just have to take your medicine.

His apt lease runs thru July so we're coming back on a slow weekday sometime in mid July with a truck to move him out. Did that last summer...drive down in the AM, bust ass for a few hours, check in at Hampton Inn and shower the sweat off....12 pack of coldbeer from Big Red and delivery from Mama Bears, finish off 12 pack as the sun sets by the hotel pool. Actually not a bad way to kill a day/evening in the summer.

yeah not looking forward to the traffic chaos. Sometimes you just have to take your medicine.

His apt lease runs thru July so we're coming back on a slow weekday sometime in mid July with a truck to move him out. Did that last summer...drive down in the AM, bust ass for a few hours, check in at Hampton Inn and shower the sweat off....12 pack of coldbeer from Big Red and delivery from Mama Bears, finish off 12 pack as the sun sets by the hotel pool. Actually not a bad way to kill a day/evening in the summer.
Wear your sun glasses. Don't let your kid catch you staring at all the asses out tomorrow. Spring time in Btown, where you find the shortest graduation dresses in the country!!!

Sounds like a dream come true. I’ll help!

I recommend staying on 67 until you get to Gosport. Take a left (south) at 7th street by the Dollar General store. Once you see Main Street, take a left until you see 5th street. Take a right which will soon become a T. Take another right which becomes County Line Road. It will lead you to 46 in roughly 6-8 miles. Head east from there.

This is more of a scenic route and keeps you from having to travel all the way to Spencer. Side note, I'd fill up the tank in Indy as the prices are better up there.

don't even think about going that route.

lots of 2 lane, then some really terrible 2 lane, then more 2 lane, and 20 miles out of the way.

67 south to 144, east to 37/69, south to Btown.

that said, if Rolling Meadows is still operating and you want to play 9 before heading the final 15 miles to Btown, then the Gosport route works great. (i did it many times when living in Indy, visiting Btown, and wanted to play some golf on the way).

haven't played it in yrs, but flat loved the front 9 at Rolling Meadows, and was worth going out of the way to do so.

don't even think about going that route.

lots of 2 lane, then some really terrible 2 lane, then more 2 lane, and 20 miles out of the way.

67 south to 144, east to 37/69, south to Btown.

that said, if Rolling Meadows is still operating and you want to play 9 before heading the final 15 miles to Btown, then the Gosport route works great. (i did it many times when living in Indy, visiting Btown, and wanted to play some golf on the way).

haven't played it in yrs, but flat loved the front 9 at Rolling Meadows, and was worth going out of the way to do so.
Do not listen to the above quote. If you want to avoid traffic, cops, idiots, tailgaters, higher exposure to accidents, semis slowing everything down on 144, then the above quote should bother you. If you want to drive freely in the country with none of that, then my advice is spot on. The 20 miles out of the way is total BS.

If 2 lanes with no stops is ever a problem, then they can't or don't know how to drive.

Last edited:
Reactions: muubell
My boys are asking about IU bball camp this summer. Older went last year. It's a day camp so probably 4 trips down there unless we stay overnight. Will the north part of 37/69 just south of 465 be a cluster all summer?

Do not listen to the above quote. If you want to avoid traffic, cops, idiots, tailgaters, higher exposure to accidents, semis slowing everything down on 144, then the above quote should bother you. If you want to drive freely in the country with none of that, then my advice is spot on. The 20 miles out of the way is total BS.

If 2 lanes with no stops is ever a problem, then they can't or don't know how to drive.

total insanity.

67 to 144 to 69 was golden. Thanks much.
Local traffic after graduation was an absolute total FUBAR. Took 45 min just to get out of NW lot onto Dunn. I feel for anyone who turned right on 46, it was gridlock from Dunn over to the mall. Luckily we made other plans. Cool to see Quinn Buckner on the stage today.

Bringing this up again as we are going to bball camp next week. Figuring on skipping 37 coming off 465 for sure, so will take 67. Is it better to cut over on 144 or go down to Martinsville? Open to the gosport idea too.

We'll be driving from Fishers. Figuring on going around the West side of Indy as SE portion of 465 is always a mess.

Bringing this up again as we are going to bball camp next week. Figuring on skipping 37 coming off 465 for sure, so will take 67. Is it better to cut over on 144 or go down to Martinsville? Open to the gosport idea too.

We'll be driving from Fishers. Figuring on going around the West side of Indy as SE portion of 465 is always a mess.

aren't they working on 465 on the south side with traffic closed in one direction?

better investigate that first.

and don't even think about going through Gosport.

Went thru 3 weeks ago, TOTALLY different now. Come off 465, stay to the left, major highway takes ya right down to Bloomington but it called 69 I think. Old 37 is to the right of the cones as you get to south side of 465, just past that light. I-69 goes directly thru to Evansville

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT