ADVERTISEMENT

Dont follow football much, but what's the feeling tonight vs IL?

kkott

Hall of Famer
Oct 26, 2001
I was actually kind of excited about last year and made special plans to watch the IA game to open the season last year... then I remembered "Oh yeah, we're IU and this is football season; wtf am I doing?" I'll probably have it on tonight, but I'm gonna get stuff done around the house and not try and devote an evening to watching if we're, well us again. OTOH, Serena will also be on tonight and that will be quality viewing.

And before some smartass gets his panties in a wad, I never go to the fball board and don't know the folks over there, so I wanted to hear from posters who I have some idea about. Plus, there's nothing going on right now with bball anyway. Happy September!

I was actually kind of excited about last year and made special plans to watch the IA game to open the season last year... then I remembered "Oh yeah, we're IU and this is football season; wtf am I doing?" I'll probably have it on tonight, but I'm gonna get stuff done around the house and not try and devote an evening to watching if we're, well us again. OTOH, Serena will also be on tonight and that will be quality viewing.

And before some smartass gets his panties in a wad, I never go to the fball board and don't know the folks over there, so I wanted to hear from posters who I have some idea about. Plus, there's nothing going on right now with bball anyway. Happy September!
Should be a good game. Vegas thinks favoring us for a point or two is the best spot, as of now. The line has come down quite a bit in recent day/weeks though, for what its worth. Illinois has played a game already, beating Wyoming handily. They're solid. They were better than us last year. They have one of the better running backs in the conference. We have a lot of new coaches and players. Our defense is our strength, and is legitimately very good. Lots of question marks on our offense, from the OC down to who's the quarterback. Again, should be a good game, wouldn't be surprised with either winning, but would be surprised if either blew the other out.

You know, there’s a football board for posts like this. 🩲

Just kidding! This board is like watching paint dry right now. I feel much like you do regarding things. I hope they win.

I don’t think any of us “know” what will happen tonight.
I believe the following to be true:
1. PU looked good last night.
2. Illinois has a good coach and appears to be a solid team. Strong run game and a new transfer QB. I think their team wins 6-7 games and more with a few breaks.
3. If we lose close tonight, all hope is not lost, but this is a must win to get to a bowl eligible total.
4. If we are blown out tonight, again all hope not lost, but it will look like a 1-3 win season.
5. Should #4 happen, I assume the coaches (all of them) will be on the hot seat.
A nice 31-6 thrashing off the Illini would be welcome.

Reactions: 82IU and vesuvius13
To kkott:
I could not figure out how to send this to you alone.
I appreciate your mild following of IU football. Likely much more fun to follow Bama. I rarely get the game on tv so I stream radio and often am puttering about long before the game ends due to score.
I used to scoff at the people who followed IUWBB. But now that I have watched the last 4-5 years they are easy to root for. Grace Walker has a very attractive mid range shot. Nichole Cardano Hillary ( now a pro in Europe) would have made Knight proud with her non stop defense.

There was a thread that did a great breakdown of all the players we lost through graduation and transfers. Basically, we have 51% new players 3-4 new coaches. Lots of coaching experience including wr coach who was wr coach for the cowboys last yr. That being said, the old saying goes “the best thing about IU football starting, is that the basketball team season is right around the corner “
Go Hoosier’s!

Tennis? Put me down for a no.

Do we have a QB that is worth a hoot? That's what I'll be interested in seeing. If we don't, the result will be same as last year. IU's QB play was beyond abysmal last year.

Friday night football is for High School. I don't support college football intruding on this time.
Being in PA I have to watch High School Indiana games online. I really like Linton/Stockton and a lot of the Ft Wayne teams. I also follow Kokomo since we used to live there. H.S. football is great. I will also follow the highly ranked teams if I can catch them.

Do we have a QB that is worth a hoot? That's what I'll be interested in seeing. If we don't, the result will be same as last year. IU's QB play was beyond abysmal last year.
That was due to a very bad OC/QB coach and I said it would be that way. He is gone, coach Bell has a lot of offensive knowledge so I think he can deal with Illinois defense and our receivers have freedom to find openings. It won't be like last season.

dgaff ..

I'll probably have it on tonight, but I'm gonna get stuff done around the house and not try and devote an evening to watching if we're, well us again.

We should know one way or another by the end of the first quarter.

Reactions: IU Fan 1989
My guess is 2-3 wins. The play calling has been pretty bad.

Last year was a complete abortion. They better improve on that or there needs to be a shakeup.

So far this game is pretty much garbage. Neither of these teams are very good.

I might get banned for my potty mouth on the FB board. But then again, does anybody actually see anything there?

I'm with you. I stopped watching women's tennis when the grunting and shrieking started, then realized I didn't really miss watching it. Same thing with Men's tennis for different reasons. Sampras couldn't be more boring and no one else was any more exciting.
The Federer/Djokivic/Nadal years have actually been fantastic tennis. Never to the pure entertainment of Connors/McEnroe but the play has been spectacular

Reactions: kkott
I'm with you. I stopped watching women's tennis when the grunting and shrieking started, then realized I didn't really miss watching it. Same thing with Men's tennis for different reasons. Sampras couldn't be more boring and no one else was any more exciting.
I don't know. The crowd in NY is special for an icon like Serena, and it's special when they know they're on their last run, or having an unexpectedly good showing. I think those matches transcend tennis and you appreciate it if you're a sports fan.

Reactions: IUAlum
The Federer/Djokivic/Nadal years have actually been fantastic tennis. Never to the pure entertainment of Connors/McEnroe but the play has been spectacular
Yeah, it's really unbelievable what each of those guys was able to accomplish in terms of wins with the other 2 also at their peak. Any one of them might have 30-50% more major titles, except for that overlap quirk.

Last year was a complete abortion. They better improve on that or there needs to be a shakeup.

So far this game is pretty much garbage. Neither of these teams are very good.
Illinois now 2-1 with a big win over Virginia IU is now 2-0 against a team after beating a team that played WSU tougher than Wisconsin did in a loss to WSU. Maybe you should reconsider your "neither of these teams are very good".

Illinois now 2-1 with a big win over Virginia IU is now 2-0 against a team after beating a team that played WSU tougher than Wisconsin did in a loss to WSU. Maybe you should reconsider your "neither of these teams are very good".
You mean the Virginia team that was .500 last year and beat mighty Richmond? That team? No. Not ready to reconsider that yet. They didn’t look good, and that won’t ever change. Can they get better? Yep. Tons of room for improvement and here’s to hoping IU gets better and better!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT