ADVERTISEMENT

-5.5 vs the heels

Cavanagh

Hall of Famer
Mar 1, 2012
The big game is here. Before the season I thought this would be IU by 1 or 2. Obviously last weeks losses drove the spread up and now we have to win by 6, man, whats a gambler to do.

Hube said Bacot and everyone else practiced yesterday. I assume both TJD and Mando aren’t a 100%, give that a wash for tonight. Hubey also said that fans have 0 impact on players…. I’m sitting right behind him, and pray I can make
him eat those words.

My favorite part about Archie was after a Duke game at the hall when he said it is like being on a runway and having a jet take off. Nothing like the hall when it gets going. Students will be hammered and they will be selling beer till 11pm. Gonna be wild in Btown tonight. Make a small wager or go heavy on the ML, this spread isn’t the one to put the mortgage on tho. Allllll aboard!!!!

That's a tough bet, I think Davis was an assistant in their last 2 beat downs in AH, I doubt he's forgotten

I think we win but their guards are gonna go off. Mark that down.
I don't know. I heard Hubert's press conference and someone asked him about Love's judgement in taking 36 shots and Hubert pretty much cut him off and said "I've already talked to him about it". Can't imagine much hurting a shooter/scorer's confidence more than your coach asking you to reign it in. He may go off, but I think it's more likely he's going to be thinking about every shot and being off. We'll see, a good shooter would probably just use it as motivation... "I'll show him!"

I don't know. I heard Hubert's press conference and someone asked him about Love's judgement in taking 36 shots and Hubert pretty much cut him off and said "I've already talked to him about it". Can't imagine much hurting a shooter/scorer's confidence more than your coach asking you to reign it in. He may go off, but I think it's more likely he's going to be thinking about every shot and being off. We'll see, a good shooter would probably just use it as motivation... "I'll show him!"
I'm sure the conversation was much more constructive than Davis telling him to "shoot less". He likely talked with him about getting shots within the offense early, getting to the rim, drawing fouls, etc... early...to build his confidence. Then when he gets rolling...green light, go get 40 if you can.

Reactions: mk30 and kkott
The big game is here. Before the season I thought this would be IU by 1 or 2. Obviously last weeks losses drove the spread up and now we have to win by 6, man, whats a gambler to do.

Hube said Bacot and everyone else practiced yesterday. I assume both TJD and Mando aren’t a 100%, give that a wash for tonight. Hubey also said that fans have 0 impact on players…. I’m sitting right behind him, and pray I can make
him eat those words.

My favorite part about Archie was after a Duke game at the hall when he said it is like being on a runway and having a jet take off. Nothing like the hall when it gets going. Students will be hammered and they will be selling beer till 11pm. Gonna be wild in Btown tonight. Make a small wager or go heavy on the ML, this spread isn’t the one to put the mortgage on tho. Allllll aboard!!!!
Kinda worried about Love and RJ Davis tonight. I wouldn't touch that line with a 10 foot pole. Even if we're up 15 with a few minutes to go... they've got the bombers, and we have the history to make it interesting.

Obviously I'll be happy with any sort of win. But if we beat the spread again, that's another very good sign of progression for this team.

i kind of expect to win because we're at home, but when Love is on, that team is scary good. If they're all on, they could blow us out at home. Do I think that will happen, no, but is it a possibility we need to be concerned about with making sure runs and motivation get stopped fast with a TO, yes

Reactions: dbmhoosier
i kind of expect to win because we're at home, but when Love is on, that team is scary good. If they're all on, they could blow us out at home. Do I think that will happen, no, but is it a possibility we need to be concerned about with making sure runs and motivation get stopped fast with a TO, yes
I can’t wait till I read on other fan sites, when Bates is on, that team is scary good.

Seems like other teams’ best shooters always do well at the hall. I would love to see a Hoosier blowout, but I’d bet UNC if forced to wager…

It'll be fun watching TJD and Bacot battling each other down low (if they ARE playing), but I think Xavier and Hood-Schfino are going to be the biggest factors in wether we win or not.

Saw line yesterday at -7 so wonder what’s up at that, did see where Davis said they played in front of 80,000 last yr ship game so “crowds don’t bother us” (cue Cav) and did see Davis said some nice things about Knught so don’t know if that’s political or true but did see some big names at practice yesterday (Kitchen,Wittman, Watford and Knight) think game comes down to how we handle their guards and if X can stay out of foul trouble….think I’m going moneyline today once I cross back into Indiana, Ohio doesn’t allow sports gambling yet online

The only things I feel confident about tonight are:

1. The environment will be awesome.
2. It'll be a good game overall.

I can't fathom either team blowing the other out. I don't think they're good enough, or that much better than we are, at this point, to blow us out. And we never blow anyone out. So it should be a good game, that will come down to who finishes the best.

In the end, having games in the Hall with TWO ranked teams again, is refreshing. Its been a minute since we all got to experience that, either in person or on TV.

It'll be fun watching TJD and Bacot battling each other down low (if they ARE playing), but I think Xavier and Hood-Schfino are going to be the biggest factors in wether we win or not.
It's going to be who dictates the style of play, if TJD and Bacot are a wash, we got problems

Saw line yesterday at -7 so wonder what’s up at that, did see where Davis said they played in front of 80,000 last yr ship game so “crowds don’t bother us” (cue Cav) and did see Davis said some nice things about Knught so don’t know if that’s political or true but did see some big names at practice yesterday (Kitchen,Wittman, Watford and Knight) think game comes down to how we handle their guards and if X can stay out of foul trouble….think I’m going moneyline today once I cross back into Indiana, Ohio doesn’t allow sports gambling yet online
The fact that Davis mentioned that means its on his/their mind. Obviously no comparison to a wide open dome with equal amounts of fans, to what they'll face tonight. They might relish and thrive in it, but it isn't an experience any of those players have ever faced before. Nothing in the ACC compares, even Duke.

T
reading some of the national writers (including the crap from some ESPN folks) and most expect a win for UNC. We either earn the respect of NCAA fans tonight, or we start hearing the same "soft/overrated" crap we've been hearing for the past decade. Tonight is statement game for both teams, so it should be pretty intense.
Not to quibble, but we have a reputation as being overrated over the past decade? When weren’t we rated low? (I mean, before this season). I’ve heard people refer to us as being irrelevant, but man..,,,,if a team that consistently misses the tournament is overrated, man that’s bad.

Reactions: asindc
The fact that Davis mentioned that means its on his/their mind. Obviously no comparison to a wide open dome with equal amounts of fans, to what they'll face tonight. They might relish and thrive in it, but it isn't an experience any of those players have ever faced before. Nothing in the ACC compares, even Duke.
Davis is either blowing smoke or naive. If the latter, then he's about to be educated the hard way. Did he ever play in AH?

T

Not to quibble, but we have a reputation as being overrated over the past decade? When weren’t we rated low? (I mean, before this season). I’ve heard people refer to us as being irrelevant, but man..,,,,if a team that consistently misses the tournament is overrated, man that’s bad.
just generalizing perhaps...but CTC's last year, we reached the top 5 after our win in Maui...then the season came unglued and CTC was gone.

Guess I can't swallow calling the team I've rooted for my entire life as "irrelevant". But I can't argue your point either. Is it too early to start drinking? It's 5 oclock somewhere and I just bought a 1.75 of Makers from Coscto.

just generalizing perhaps...but CTC's last year, we reached the top 5 after our win in Maui...then the season came unglued and CTC was gone.

Guess I can't swallow calling the team I've rooted for my entire life as "irrelevant". But I can't argue your point either. Is it too early to start drinking? It's 5 oclock somewhere and I just bought a 1.75 of Makers from Coscto.
It’s not too early, as long as you can stay up. 🥃

in the holiday spirit, I've discovered the joys of a cocktail glass with a couple cubes of ice, then pour some good egg nog and a shot (or two..) of decent bourbon in. Glass full of sugar calories, but damn does it go down smooth after dinner.
sounds wonderful around the fire pit!

Costco can't sell liquor here in NC... st-E-inks!

him eat those words.

I say UNCburgers! IU 75, UNC 68.

Costco can't sell liquor here in NC... st-E-inks!
yeah as I travel I've learned the various kooky laws in other states...the ABC mafia in Virginia is interesting. Only good thing about Illinois...you can buy booze and beer damn near anywhere, anytime, any day of the week. Our local Costco has everything...Woodford Double Oaked, Four Roses, Grey Goose, Titos....and all the copycat Kirkland brand at half the price. Even the primo stuff is priced 25% lower than the local liquor stores.

Davis is either blowing smoke or naive. If the latter, then he's about to be educated the hard way. Did he ever play in AH?
I heard Hubert yesterday and he said both as a player and a coach, he couldn't remember a time when a venue was a factor for his or his team's play. Thought that was an odd thing to say for someone who's played and coached in Cameron so often, but I think they have a pretty decent record there too. Hope he feels differently after tonight!

I heard Hubert yesterday and he said both as a player and a coach, he couldn't remember a time when a venue was a factor for his or his team's play. Thought that was an odd thing to say for someone who's played and coached in Cameron so often, but I think they have a pretty decent record there too. Hope he feels differently after tonight!
I think he's kind of obligated to say something like that for the Cameron reason.

yeah as I travel I've learned the various kooky laws in other states...the ABC mafia in Virginia is interesting. Only good thing about Illinois...you can buy booze and beer damn near anywhere, anytime, any day of the week. Our local Costco has everything...Woodford Double Oaked, Four Roses, Grey Goose, Titos....and all the copycat Kirkland brand at half the price. Even the primo stuff is priced 25% lower than the local liquor stores.
Yeah, I've heard of people driving from Charlotte an hour and a half to a Costco in Columbia when they are having a party to buy their liquor. I've only been in one in Lville, but wow, prices were awesome, especially on the Kirkland brands.

I think he's kind of obligated to say something like that for the Cameron reason.
There are a number of reasons to say that.

You don’t want anyone making excuses, or feeling that winning is just too hard due to the environment.

It’s also true that the crowd should not be a factor. What I mean by this is: i once asked a very knowledgeable person that played B10 basketball and in the NFL about playing in front of a hostile crowd. His response? He looked me in the eye and said “the second you notice the crowd you’ve lost the game”. So, as a player you should have the ability to ignore the crowd and just do your job.

In reality though, it usually doesn’t go like that. The home players know they are on a stage and act for the audience. The officiating is clearly influenced by this. We will get more calls tonight, and there is a reason the home team wins more, and it’s difficult to win in a hostile environment.

Still, I appreciate what he is saying. He’s making no excuses, setting an example for his players to make no excuses and demanding that they focus on being pros and ignoring a crowd that cannot stop a shot or score a bucket from their seats.

him eat those words.

I’d feel a lot better about this game if IU was the dog. Was listening to Mark Titus last night on The Assembly Call and he made the point that a loud raucous crowd can fire up the opposing team if they’re not supposed to win. He gave the example of the Rutgers game here last spring when it fired up Ron Harper jr. and IU lost a game they clearly should’ve won.

him eat those words.

Looked at Fanduel a few minutes ago and the spread has moved down to IU -4.5

Reactions: Cavanagh
I’d feel a lot better about this game if IU was the dog. Was listening to Mark Titus last night on The Assembly Call and he made the point that a loud raucous crowd can fire up the opposing team if they’re not supposed to win. He gave the example of the Rutgers game here last spring when it fired up Ron Harper jr. and IU lost a game they clearly should’ve won.
It feels like it will be IU/IL 89 game Nick Anderson, bad to bet on. I just got a bad feeling cause Love reminds a lot of MJ and Nick Anderson, unpredictable if they can be contained

Last edited:
I think we win but their guards are gonna go off. Mark that down.
I hope you r wrong. We have guards with size and play good defense. We do have a strong bench.The ? should be asked.? Can NC stop our guards. Everyone is talking about Davis and Love. What about X and JHS can NC stop them?

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT