ADVERTISEMENT

Defensive front from here on out

Ghostridah

Senior
Sep 30, 2006
I like the improvement in the defensive front. I think Nick Mangieri has been terrific at End. I wrote early on that he reminded me of former Colt Chad Bratzke. I don't know if it's an overstatement, but Nick has been pretty darn good. If Bobby Richardson can play on Sundays, I don't know why Nick can't.

Darius Latham and "Big Ralph" Green have been really good inside. IU often plays a hybrid 3/4 with the interior guys lining up not purely on the center and tackle. Ralph has gotten really good push up the gut and Darius has been disruptive. Darius has to play smarter as he's had a penchant for the "extra" play that has yielded key penalties.

While the bandit is technically a linebacker, Zach Shaw has been very good in pass rush.

Throw in Adarius Rayner and IU's first unit has been really good. They don't give up big rushing yardage (ok 4 plays vs OSU) but they've been much improved. At linebacker, Simmons has been an attacker, Oliver disruptive and a turnover king and Scales terrific. I'd like to see more plays at the Sam position. IU has rotated a lot of guys and other than the "holy cow thank you God" end zone save by Dawson Fletcher, I don't remember a lot of plays coming from that spot.

With Rayner, Mangieri and Shaw graduating, it's critical that IU come up with guys who can step in and play at a high level. Not just be on the field and wear a uniform.

Greg Gooch has had some time in the games. Jacob Robinson has gotten some time at end. IU has recruited some "long athletic" DL types for the future. I don't expect them to walk in and play at an elite Big Ten level from day one.

So IU will have a good base with Latham, Green inside. And some good LB's. The rest of the front will be interesting to watch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News