ADVERTISEMENT

Coronavirus

So I’m not the only one wondering why we aren’t prepared with testing kits.
Chris Hayes: I don’t want to be alarmist and I don’t want to keep yelling about this BUT THE LACK OF EFFECTIVE TESTING AT SCALE IS GOING TO GET PEOPLE KILLED. Full stop.
I’ve been saying this for a week now.

It may have been bought out by most other countries earlier?

The cheapest and most effective way is to map, track, isolate.

The 2nd level contact folks have to be community-minded and wear masks and check their temperature diligently. Report in if there are signs -- higher temperature and persistent cough.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
New serological test to establish links between cases
https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/heal...onavirus-singapore-bans-visitors-south-korean
The test can detect antibodies in blood samples for contact tracing and establishing links between cases.

“This is important for us because without any of the established links, there’s always going to be some uncertainty in how transmissions took place''

''When you don’t have the ability to connect various groups of people having the infections together, there will be a concern on whether or not that this could have been spread by someone unknown or some mysterious person.”

Last edited:
Wow. The common flu kills like 0.5% of the population whilst the Coronavirus is killing like 0.2% globally. And its a little higher in the US-based on the current small sample size so theoretically, 640,000 deaths if its the equivalent.

So 640,000 > 18,000

Thats your point?
I wonder, how many folks highly concerned about CV have gotten a flu shot this season?

Yes, it is worse than the flu: busting the coronavirus myths

Claim: ‘It is no more dangerous than winter flu’
Many individuals who get coronavirus will experience nothing worse than seasonal flu symptoms, but the overall profile of the disease, including its mortality rate, looks more serious. At the start of an outbreak the apparent mortality rate can be an overestimate if a lot of mild cases are being missed. But this week, a WHO expert suggested that this has not been the case with Covid-19. Bruce Aylward, who led an international mission to China to learn about the virus and the country’s response, said the evidence did not suggest that we were only seeing the tip of the iceberg. If borne out by further testing, this could mean that current estimates of a roughly 1% fatality rate are accurate. This would make Covid-19 about 10 times more deadly than seasonal flu, which is estimated to kill between 290,000 and 650,000 people a year globally.

Claim: ‘It only kills the elderly, so younger people can relax’
Most people who are not elderly and do not have underlying health conditions will not become critically ill from Covid-19. But the illness still has a higher chance of leading to serious respiratory symptoms than seasonal flu and there are other at-risk groups – health workers, for instance, are more vulnerable because they are likely to have higher exposure to the virus. The actions that young, healthy people take, including reporting symptoms and following quarantine instructions, will have an important role in protecting the most vulnerable in society and in shaping the overall trajectory of the outbreak.

Claim: ‘Face masks don’t work’
Wearing a face mask is not an iron clad guarantee that you won’t get sick – viruses can also transmit through the eyes and tiny viral particles, known as aerosols, can still penetrate masks. However, masks are effective at capturing droplets, which is the main transmission route of coronavirus, and some studies have estimated a roughly five-fold protection versus no barrier. If you are likely to be in close contact with someone infected, a mask cuts the chance of the disease being passed on. If you’re just walking around town and not in close contact with others, wearing a mask is unlikely to make any difference.

* Barring isolating 2nd level contacts and its the 14 days of incubation, masks are the most cost-effective way of helping stop the spread if you are not facing mandatory isolation.... yet. Remember 14 days or more before signs show up.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...coronavirus-myths-face-masks-vaccine-covid-19

Last edited:
It may have been bought out by most other countries earlier? The cheapest and most effective way is to map, track, isolate.
The 2nd level contact folks have to be community-minded and wear masks and check their temperature diligently. Report in if there are signs -- higher temperature and persistent cough.
You need a hobby.

I wonder, how many folks highly concerned about CV have gotten a flu shot this season?

There is only one organisation that should and can organise and manage this potential epidemic. The Federal Gov't.

My fear is that people have been built up such a distrust of the Federal Gov't, they information dissemination and their (real) objectives (deep state), that people won't adhere to the measures required nor trust what's coming out of the experts.

Politics is coming back to bite your ass in a big way now.

There is only one organisation that should and can organise and manage this potential epidemic. The Federal Gov't.

My fear is that people have been built up such a distrust of the Federal Gov't, they information dissemination and their (real) objectives (deep state), that people won't adhere to the measures required nor trust what's coming out of the experts.

Politics is coming back to bite your ass in a big way now.
Isn’t it interesting that even this virus is political? All the Trumpsters who were freaking out about Ebola now trying to say to chill this is just the flu. I think we are unprepared, but I don’t know whose fault it is. Just humorous looking at Trump’s tweets about Ebola.

Isn’t it interesting that even this virus is political? All the Trumpsters who were freaking out about Ebola now trying to say to chill this is just the flu. I think we are unprepared, but I don’t know whose fault it is. Just humorous looking at Trump’s tweets about Ebola.
I’m serious. It was on MSNBC a couple days ago. Trump has the approval process for the test South Korea is using shackled. And they won’t let the capable labs in CA do it either. It’s truly unbelievable what's going on. Trump has turned reality into a freak show and no one can stop it because Pubs are in lockstep. We’re living in a surreal 3D holograph.

Oldie but goodie brought out to shine again:

Corona = Mexican = The Wall

I really don't know why they have not used that. They have fallen for every bridge ever sold to them.

Last edited:
Help me with something here...

Considering that for most people who don't have underlying conditions, the effects of coronavirus are more or less like any other respiratory illness...such as, say...influenza. And since run of the mill influenza for this year has affected between 30-45 million people and killed 20,000-45, 0000 people....why am I extra frightened of coronavirus?

Maybe there's a reason, but what am I missing?
For the most part, the developed world has contained the flu. There are seasonal fluctuations, and the number of deaths is relatively stable and predictable. It's really not possible for us to do more than we already are with the flu. The only time the flu really becomes scary is when there is some especially dangerous, virulent, or infectious strain that current vaccines aren't prepared for.

That's exactly why the novel coronavirus should scare. It appears to be extremely infectious, and more dangerous than ordinary flu, and we don't really have any defense for it. Best case scenario, it ends up as a pandemic that outpaces seasonal flu in health effects, and then dies off. Worst case scenario, it really does have a 2% fatality rate, and will spread across most of the world. In other words, it could end up falling anywhere between H1N1 and Spanish Flu, and we just don't know where yet.

Reactions: iuwclurker
I’m serious. It was on MSNBC a couple days ago. Trump has the approval process for the test South Korea is using shackled. And they won’t let the capable labs in CA do it either. It’s truly unbelievable what's going on. Trump has turned reality into a freak show and no one can stop it because Pubs are in lockstep. We’re living in a surreal 3D holograph.

New York City doctor says he has to ‘plead to test people’ for coronavirus
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/02/coronavirus-new-york-city-doctor-has-to-plead-to-test-people.html

It wasn’t really a known issue until later bc of the shitty cover up the Chinese attempted to employ.

I knew about it in mid to late December. So I am pretty sure the CDC knew about it before me. The local government tried covering it up for a week or two. And the entire nation is certainly paying the price for it now.

The key is containment now.

Last edited:
Could be , which again one asks why weren’t we expecting this in December?

I take it you haven't spent a lot of time interacting with the federal govt? There's a lot of interagency conflict and red tape to go through. The US govt is very effective in the long run with these sorts of things, but it takes a while to get the bureaucracy all rowing in the same direction. Every admin deals with this problem. Lots of people in our form of govt that like to keep control of their fiefdoms.... and then the feds count on state level govts to actually execute a lot of stuff on the ground.

I knew about it in mid to late December. Do I am pretty sure the CDC knew about it before me. The local government tried covering it up for a week or two. And the entire nation is certainly paying the price for it now.

The key is containment now.

maybe the governments morbidly viewed it as a bail out of sorts for the impending structural issues related to demographics (healthcare costs, social safety nets, etc)?

Containment? With spring break coming up the virus will be readily available shortly after. A population with the lowest level of personal responsibility will be congregating in giant hordes in various locations ready to take the virus back home.
Transportation security or Homeland Security? not a mention in the search.
https://www.tsa.gov/
Just a thought, now get off my lawn.

Containment? With spring break coming up the virus will be readily available shortly after. A population with the lowest level of personal responsibility will be congregating in giant hordes in various locations ready to take the virus back home.
Eh I'd take my chances with the coronvirus over some of the sh*t spring breakers will be passing around. Ah to be young again.

And there lies the main issue.

The man in charge (ya know the one that wears poorly applied makeup and has fake hair) is incompetent, misinformed, lazy minded and only cares about how it affects his election and the guy he delegated responsibility to (the closeted homophobe) is a science denier who caused an HIV outbreak in this state because of his religious piousness and ignorance. Not a lot of confidence in their ability to do anything but make this worse.

Last edited:
Now we had a press conference about the virus at the WH and for the first time anyone can recall, no video or audio was allowed. Only still photos.

Reactions: UncleMark
Now we had a press conference about the virus at the WH and for the first time anyone can recall, no video or audio was allowed. Only still photos.

This will not end well. There is no pro-active strategy in place (track, map and isolate).

Fatalistic and then I can imagine a post 9-11 type reaction once it hits big. Then later blame others/scapegoat -- foreigners to the Democrats for obstruction etc. The 'can do' attitude seems to have gone missing in contemporary America only to be replaced by the stench of a dying empire.

We have a bunch of examples around the world of what happens when you are not pro-active and the numbers that ballooned up as a result. Also, the early introduction of the political blame game even though its barely in the middle fo the epidemic.

Meanwhile the elderly and the chronics will suffer if not die.

I wonder if you will get Iran-style suppression of numbers or challenges of definitions soon.

Its not the kids who have to worry about the virus. They will survive.

Its when they bring it home, pass it onto the elderly or the chronics that you have to worry about. Whether its through direct, 1st level contact or the 2nd or the 3rd links.

Case in point: Korea had only 354 cases just 10 days ago. It's now on 5,186 cases. Just 851 cases (and 34 deaths) just yesterday alone.

Last edited:
This will not end well. There is no pro-active strategy in place (track, map and isolate).

Fatalistic and then I can imagine a post 9-11 type reaction once it hits big. Then later blame others/scapegoat -- foreigners to the Democrats for obstruction etc. The 'can do' attitude seems to have gone missing in contemporary America only to be replaced by the stench of a dying empire.

We have a bunch of examples around the world of what happens when you are not pro-active and the numbers that ballooned up as a result. Also, the early introduction of the political blame game even though its barely in the middle fo the epidemic.

Meanwhile the elderly and the chronics will suffer if not die.

I wonder if you will get Iran-style suppression of numbers or challenges of definitions soon.
Wasn’t there something that had been tracking numbers that isn’t any more? Also Florida knew about two cases and kept it quiet for 24 hours.

I saw today that instead of the 2% rate that they were originally saying the corona virus was killing at they are now saying globally it is more like 3.4%...

Today in briefing with Trump, Azar, and Fauci, Azar says they have developed a vaccine in three days. Dr Fauci has to step in and tell him once again, there won’t be one available for a year or show. As I said, would sure be nice to be able to trust what we are hearing.,

Wasn’t there something that had been tracking numbers that isn’t any more? Also Florida knew about two cases and kept it quiet for 24 hours.

Its just not about keeping score of the numbers and testing.

Containment of spread is the key to reducing community impact. Its not perfect or 100% but it allows you to buy time before medical solutions can be found.

They have been very quiet in the medical detecting front here. No news, just doing it in the background.
They had to figure out who and how each infected person is related. That is a key -- that way you can not only find the source and contain him/her but also manage the secondary and tertiary contacts.

The other factor for success here has been throughout the epidemic, you need to communicate with and educate the public and securing their co-operation with the mentioned efforts. The primary message to the public will be the importance of each individual’s responsibility in preventing disease spread through personal hygiene and being socially responsible in behaviour.

This is how you keep the numbers low.

The UK isnt doing this other than not wanting to take responsibility and just announcing that there will be a lot of people sick and the subsequent deaths.

It's not about the inability to do this. The infrastructure is there for tracking, mapping etc. Its either ignorance, fatalism or lack of political will or all of the above.

The more cynical side of me thinks they are reactionary because it presents itself with tremendous commercial opportunities. Prevention/control is really a non-profit activity in this case, the federal, state and local gov't.

Capitalism baybee!

Last edited:
Today in briefing with Trump, Azar, and Fauci, Azar says they have developed a vaccine in three days. Dr Fauci has to step in and tell him once again, there won’t be one available for a year or show. As I said, would sure be nice to be able to trust what we are hearing.,

Basically there isn't a pandemic playbook they are following. Freestylin'

Coronavirus: WHO praises S'pore and Hong Kong

Michael Ryan, executive director of World Health Organisation’s health emergencies programme, says measures need to be based on local situation

A top official from a global health watchdog has praised the “very effective” measures Hong Kong is taking to suppress transmission of the new coronavirus, as the city recorded no new cases on Tuesday.
In a press conference in Geneva, Dr Michael Ryan, executive director of the World Health Organisation’s health emergencies programme, named Hong Kong and Singapore when he said measures taken needed to be based on the local situation.
“Measures that have not involved walling off cities or completely banning travel have been very effective in both suppressing and driving transmission down over the last six weeks,” Ryan said on Monday.
While drastic action to contain the spread of the virus, including lockdowns, had been taken since January in cities in Hubei province, epicentre of the outbreak in mainland China, Ryan said other places might not be able to sustain that type of effort for so long because of “levels of social acceptance or resources”.
Hong Kong has not banned people entering the city from most parts of the world, but implemented forced quarantine for those returning from areas hard hit by the outbreak, such as the mainland, Iran, and some South Korean and Italian regions.
The city has not recorded any new infections so far on Tuesday and the tally remained at 100 confirmed cases and a probable one. The related death toll remained at two.
Among 40 people sent to quarantine centres after returning from Iran on Monday, one was taken to Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital in Chai Wan after presenting symptoms, which were not specified by the health authorities.

Ten people have died from this. Ten people die every day of accidental drowning. West Coast Covid 19 patients live in the homeless capitals of the US. When scores of homeless start to die from Covid 19 then we will know there is a danger here. Will anyone admit Trump saved lives when this runs it's course?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT