ADVERTISEMENT

Caitlyn Jenner or Lauren Hill--which should receive the Arthur Ashe Courage Award?

Caitlyn Jenner or Lauren Hill--which should receive the Arthur Ashe Courage Award?

• Caitlyn Jenner

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Lauren Hill

Votes: 90 94.7%

• Total voters
I struggle to see the problem with someone coming to terms with themselves. And if ESPN wants to honor that, that's ESPN's prerogative. The details of it aren't really my concern other than my happiness over another human being finding a modicum of inner peace. I hope Lauryn Hill has found peace after such a long and ferocious battle and I hope Caitlyn Jenner does as well. Their fights are just different and it's sad to see anyone feeling the need to take shots at either of their struggles.

Is the scope of the coverage of a story what determines courage?

If that's what our values are, we need to revisit them. In fact, the lack of coverage of a story - or at least the lack of expectation of coverage - would be a major, if not determining, factor weighing in favor of someone's demonstration of courage in my book.

Frankly, I don't see what Jenner is doing to be all that courageous. He's doing what tens of thousands of folks do - or don't get to do in may cases - and the only reason he's a story is that he's sought the limelight his entire life. I'd think that in this context real courage is the trans-man or trans-woman who either goes through with the transition with few resources or support because that's what's required to make them comfortable with who they are, or are struggling with their identities because of a lack of resources/support to go through it.

Either way, Jenner just seems like an attention whore no matter his, er, her, gender status, and worse, s/he wants to get paid for it.

Meh.
What Sope said - good one young fellow!

0517a6bb8705e4751524b385c1993f34ab7ae9-wm.jpg

I don't think Jenner is transgender. I've read about similar cases of older men with families suddenly reaching this crises. Often it is a case of depression or some personality disorder. In this case maybe an attention seeking disorder. Searching for something to cope. Clearly he is an extremely unhappy individual. This will not improve it. He is desperate. I do believe in transgender cases. I have yet to see any evidence that Jenner fits this. I think Jenner has serious depression and/or serious psychological disorder.

I think many people just supress their feelings until they reach an age and realize it isn't worth it. The few cases I know, that has been the situation. Jenner talks about having these feelings from a really early age.

Dakich is just as bad, if not worse, than ESPN overall. He is a disgrace to the university and I wish to god he would be removed from contact.

Aside from that, Jenner did nothing courageous. Choosing to suddenly transition to a woman after six decades as a male, among dozens of stories of his womanizing, is clearly a media grab.
I got a serious question. Which public bathroom does Jenner get to use? He said he wasn't attracted to men,but women. So does this mean Jenner gets to go into the women's bathroom while biologically he still has his man parts and is attracted to women?

I got a serious question. Which public bathroom does Jenner get to use? He said he wasn't attracted to men,but women. So does this mean Jenner gets to go into the women's bathroom while biologically he still has his man parts and is attracted to women?

I'd be quite uncomfortable either way.

My friend who is transgender uses the women's restroom. It's never been an issue.

Don't most women's restrooms have closed stalls anyway?

My friend who is transgender uses the women's restroom. It's never been an issue.

Don't most women's restrooms have closed stalls anyway?
Yes they all do. Don't get the restroom obsession, but seems as if it's a thing that seems to bother some people. I've been in female restrooms with transgendered people and didn't feel the list bit uncomfortable.

nope. Apparently you think it's gross to be in the same presence of gay men.
That's only "apparent" to those who aren't familiar with Noodle. Since he's posted here 21,196 times (and counting), I think he assumed that he'd be understood.

Reactions: Noodle
That's only "apparent" to those who aren't familiar with Noodle. Since he's posted here 21,196 times (and counting), I think he assumed that he'd be understood.

It's not a funny joke in the slightest. Just as calling someone a "fag" isn't cool.

It's not a funny joke in the slightest. Just as calling someone a "fag" isn't cool.
Wow. That's like comparing apples and Napoleon Bonaparte. Frankly, the fact that you would make a comparison like that suggests it's a 2-day bender.

So it's bad for someone to poke fun at their own discomfort as a joke. It's okay to say without humor, oh, e.g., "All Arabs are dogs." Gotta make sure we get the rules right.

I've never seen a bigot get offended by bigotry the way you do. It's fascinating.

Reactions: Noodle
So it's bad for someone to poke fun at their own discomfort as a joke. It's okay to say without humor, oh, e.g., "All Arabs are dogs." Gotta make sure we get the rules right.

I've never seen a bigot get offended by bigotry the way you do. It's fascinating.
Wait a minute, I wasn't poking fun at my own discomfort.

I know. I am on my phone which limits my typing speed and I couldn't phrase it correctly. Point is, toasted getting offended by this is a joke of the highest order.

Have you considered that Thyrsis might actually be gay? It was a joke in very poor taste. I'm surprised a liberal guy like you wouldn't be aghast considering the heinous discrimination and violence directed at homosexuals globally.

As poorly as I might think of Sunni Gulf Arabs, I don't have a problem sharing the bathroom with them.

Have you considered that Thyrsis might actually be gay? It was a joke in very poor taste. I'm surprised a liberal guy like you wouldn't be aghast considering the heinous discrimination and violence directed at homosexuals globally.

As poorly as I might think of Sunni Gulf Arabs, I don't have a problem sharing the bathroom with them.
As Rock said, everyone here with three brain cells knew what Noodle was saying. If he were being serious, I'd be disappointed, but sarcasm is a useful tool.

I don't believe for one second you'd be comfortable in any room with an Arab, much less a bathroom.

As Rock said, everyone here with three brain cells knew what Noodle was saying. If he were being serious, I'd be disappointed, but sarcasm is a useful tool.

I don't believe for one second you'd be comfortable in any room with an Arab, much less a bathroom.

And you think it's ok to use the word fag? Because this joke is no better.

If you didn't have a problem with the joke in question, then I presume you take no issue with the word "fag"? Because the joke was just as bad.
If I might butt in

The whole problem.comes from Thrysis having inserted gay people into this discussion and nobody took notice. Jenner isn't gay and neither are transgendered people.

If you didn't have a problem with the joke in question, then I presume you take no issue with the word "fag"? Because the joke was just as bad.
It's really hard to believe you're being serious.

You understand that Noodle's sarcasm drew attention to the person who felt the discomfort, right? The joke wasn't about the unnamed LGBT person in the hypothetical. It was about the unnamed close-minded heteronormative person that Noodle was graciously putting himself in the place of to make a point. How you can turn that into some kind of anti-gay slur...

It's exactly the opposite. I mean, you're literally claiming it was something exactly the opposite of what it was.

SMDH.

If I might butt in

The whole problem.comes from Thrysis having inserted gay people into this discussion and nobody took notice. Jenner isn't gay and neither are transgendered people.
Thyrsis didn't insert them. It was Van's comments about Jenner using the women's restroom while still being attracted to women that moved the conversation there.

But you're absolutely right to highlight that gender and sexual orientation are distinct issues.

Thyrsis didn't insert them. It was Van's comments about Jenner using the women's restroom while still being attracted to women that moved the conversation there.

But you're absolutely right to highlight that gender and sexual orientation are distinct issues.

Are you replying to me?

Who is Van and what does that have to do with the joke? Van is a transgender person who transitioned from a man to a woman and now considers herself a homosexual woman?

If I might butt in

What??? His response was the perfect reply to Van's silly question. He wasn't suggesting Jenner is gay. Good grief you're somehow making a colossal thread derailment into a conflagration!

If I might butt in

I'm not following this exactly... Van is gay transitioned female? Or how does Van fit into this?

It's really hard to believe you're being serious.

You understand that Noodle's sarcasm drew attention to the person who felt the discomfort, right? The joke wasn't about the unnamed LGBT person in the hypothetical. It was about the unnamed close-minded heteronormative person that Noodle was graciously putting himself in the place of to make a point. How you can turn that into some kind of anti-gay slur...

It's exactly the opposite. I mean, you're literally claiming it was something exactly the opposite of what it was.

SMDH.
What??? His response was the perfect reply to Van's silly question. He wasn't suggesting Jenner is gay. Good grief you're somehow making a colossal thread derailment into a conflagration!
Huh?

Thrysis responded to mjvcaj by saying gay people go to the bathroom too and might use the one somebody else uses or something. This whole thing is like Clint Eastwood's joke derailment. People are trying too hard to find social bigotry.

Huh?

Thrysis responded to mjvcaj by saying gay people go to the bathroom too and might use the one somebody else uses or something. This whole thing is like Clint Eastwood's joke derailment. People are trying too hard to find social bigotry.

He was responding to mjvcaj's comment that was a direct response to Van's question about Jenner using the women's restroom while being attracted to women. That's how this whole derailment started.

He was responding to mjvcaj's comment that was a direct response to Van's question about Jenner using the women's restroom while being attracted to women. That's how this whole derailment started.

It's not a gay thing at all

Jenner is your client. You are in a jurisdiction that has laws about use of public restrooms. Jenner asks you "what public restroom can I use without getting busted?" What do you tell him?[/QUOTE]

If I might butt in

No, the "whole problem" results from some of the board's worst posters illustrating why they're among the board's worst posters. And you butted in the way you typically butt in -- unhelpfully and off-point. "Look, over there!"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT