ADVERTISEMENT

Boogie Fland - Here comes a big one!

Not sure. We lose XJ and very likely Ware and Mgbako. Reneau is 50/50 at best.
Lots of folks I've heard predict Mbako will be back, which frankly, surprised me, but I'd rank him closer to 50/50. I think Reanu is likely to be back, just because he'll have fewer minutes and opps with Ware and MM when playing the 4 and Sparks and Walker are going to get some minutes too, so he's going to probably have less time to showcase what he can do.

Gotta be a little tough if you're MR thinking in losing RT and TJD you look like the guy next year and then we bring in 2 highly ranked frontcourt guys in the spring. I'm sure he's glad to have the added talent around, but some part of him also has to be thinking that is limiting his opportunities.

Lots of folks I've heard predict Mbako will be back, which frankly, surprised me, but I'd rank him closer to 50/50. I think Reanu is likely to be back, just because he'll have fewer minutes and opps with Ware and MM when playing the 4 and Sparks and Walker are going to get some minutes too, so he's going to probably have less time to showcase what he can do.

Gotta be a little tough if you're MR thinking in losing RT and TJD you look like the guy next year and then we bring in 2 highly ranked frontcourt guys in the spring. I'm sure he's glad to have the added talent around, but some part of him also has to be thinking that is limiting his opportunities.
MM skill set puts him as a top 15 pick. There's concerns about his overall athleticism especially as it translates to playing a wing oriented role in the NBA. I think if he gets a consensus first round grade he's gone.

He also wasnt a one and done.

Okay.

One is a first round pick, lottery pick. One is sitting the bench at Western Kentucky.

Who are you picking? I'm going with the four star, lottery pick.

You should stop with this now.

It means in your thinking he wasn’t elite. Clowney (fringe 100)was another. Both are elite talent. You need guys like that regardless of ranking.
What I’m saying is if you go the route of elite talent like queen, Liam, Fland. You are basically saying we are going to be ultra talented but young. Most likely they are 1 and done possibly 2 years tops. Nothing wrong with getting one every year but I think it’s risky getting three when you are building a team. My preference would be to build roster like Jay Wright did vs calipari and Scheyer

Reactions: Ty Webb iu
What I’m saying is if you go the route of elite talent like queen, Liam, Fland. You are basically saying we are going to be ultra talented but young. Most likely they are 1 and done possibly 2 years tops. Nothing wrong with getting one every year but I think it’s risky getting three when you are building a team. My preference would be to build roster like Jay Wright did vs calipari and Scheyer
Nahh. You get the best talent for your team you can get. Throw rankings out. That’s what we are telling you. Look at Duke and UK. Both reloaded and kept guys. I’d much rather have that because talent 90% of the time gets you to the final. You get 2-3 elite guys you 100% of the time take them.

You are missing the point here big time dude.

No, you are.

You made the claim that UConn didn't have any elite talent, yet they had a lottery pick last year on their championship team.

They also had a second round pick if memory serves me correctly.

You made the stupid claim that he was a four star.

I've now pointed to more then one five star that people would chose Hawkins over, who you pointed out wasn't a five star.

Nahh. You get the best talent for your team you can get. Throw rankings out. That’s what we are telling you. Look at Duke and UK. Both reloaded and kept guys. I’d much rather have that because talent 90% of the time gets you to the final. You get 2-3 elite guys you 100% of the time take them.

Kentucky reloads every year and they haven't made a sweet 16 since 2019.

The game is changing with the portal now being more important.

Getting older while bringing in young talent is so important. You can't win anymore with just one and dones.

Kentucky reloads every year and they haven't made a sweet 16 since 2019.

The game is changing with the portal now being more important.

Getting older while bringing in young talent is so important. You can't win anymore with just one and dones.
That’s coaching. The talent isn’t the problem. Cal has defensive problems. They don’t switch on D. With teams going PNR you need to switch. He had players who can do that he just doesn’t. I’d take the last 10-12 UK rosters in a second. Especially with Woody.

Reactions: steelyvan
I see your point, I just think it’s risky going that route. Seems we have had quite a few one and dones and nothing to show for it.

No, you are.

You made the claim that UConn didn't have any elite talent, yet they had a lottery pick last year on their championship team.

They also had a second round pick if memory serves me correctly.

You made the stupid claim that he was a four star.

I've now pointed to more then one five star that people would chose Hawkins over, who you pointed out wasn't a five star.
I’m saying in recruiting. Landing 3 5 stars in this class and you are starting 3 freshman next year. Veteran teams are winning the titles now.

I see your point, I just think it’s risky going that route. Seems we have had quite a few one and dones and nothing to show for it.
It’s all risky but talent is still talent. Regardless of ranking and time spent at said school.

I’m saying in recruiting. Landing 3 5 stars in this class and you are starting 3 freshman next year. Veteran teams are winning the titles now.
It will be interesting to see how IU builds teams in the future. With the extra Covid yr, we are still in uncharted territory. One and dones on a team of 22-24 year olds is a lot different than on a team of younger guys. Throw in the portal and continuity is a question. I don’t think anyone knows how it’s going to play out.

You could be right? But you still go after all 3 of them, and rejoice if they choose IU. Figure out how to build with them and around them.

Woody needs to get us back to competing at the top of the conference. Our tourney runs will take care of themselves. Landing these 3 fellas continues to move us in the right direction in the B10, and nationally.

That would potentially be a lineup of:

Cupps, Fland, Galloway, Newton, in the backcourt
McNeeley, Banks, Gunn on the wing
Reneau, Sparks, Queen in the post

I would say the three frosh would all be main rotational guys. Maybe starters, maybe not. But that would be a damn good basketball team.

No overall.we have had 4 and didn’t do anything with those teams
IU needs to accelerate moving the needle in the right direction. Woody, I think, has IU turning around and improving. But we need to get up to where we're competing for B10 titles, and where we're a legit threat to make final fours. Signing classes like what the 24 class could be, is 1 way to speed up that process. Not the only way, maybe not even the "best" way to get us to being a legit natty threat. But we're sooooo far from that right now, that any sort of major move like signing these 3 guys, would be amazing for our program, right now.

No one knows until the season plays out. But as of today, its pretty clear that Mack is intending to be 1 and done.

How the 3-5 position minutes end up playing out is going to be fascinating, though.

I'd actually pencil in Malik for the most minutes of anyone at those positions, if he improves his defensive positioning, and footwork, to where he can effectively guard without fouling. If not, naturally, his minutes will suffer. Maybe bake in some games where he is strapped with foul trouble... Games where he isn't in foul trouble 30 ish minutes. Games where he is 20.

Ware and Mack will be right up there. Banks I think will push for some big minutes. And then it sounds like Sparks will forge a solid backup role for himself.

In a closely contested game, there will be 120 minutes available for those 3 spots.

Malik 26 minutes
Mack 24 minutes
Ware 23 minutes
Banks 18 minutes
Sparks 11 minutes
Walker 7 minutes
Gunn/Galloway 10 minutes total of playing a "3 guard" set.

Obviously injuries, one of these guys blowing up, one of the guards not named Xavier or Trey blowing up and pushing more 3 guard minutes, etc... and this could all change dramatically.

No one knows until the season plays out. But as of today, its pretty clear that Mack is intending to be 1 and done.

How the 3-5 position minutes end up playing out is going to be fascinating, though.

I'd actually pencil in Malik for the most minutes of anyone at those positions, if he improves his defensive positioning, and footwork, to where he can effectively guard without fouling. If not, naturally, his minutes will suffer. Maybe bake in some games where he is strapped with foul trouble... Games where he isn't in foul trouble 30 ish minutes. Games where he is 20.

Ware and Mack will be right up there. Banks I think will push for some big minutes. And then it sounds like Sparks will forge a solid backup role for himself.

In a closely contested game, there will be 120 minutes available for those 3 spots.

Malik 26 minutes
Mack 24 minutes
Ware 23 minutes
Banks 18 minutes
Sparks 11 minutes
Walker 7 minutes
Gunn/Galloway 10 minutes total of playing a "3 guard" set.

Obviously injuries, one of these guys blowing up, one of the guards not named Xavier or Trey blowing up and pushing more 3 guard minutes, etc... and this could all change dramatically.
If Gunn emerges as a consistent scoring option, it's going to be tough to manage the front court. MM is probably best suited to play the 4 next year but will likely play more of a wing role just to keep the as much talent on the floor as possible.

And I wouldn't count out Sparks either. All indications are that he's going to be tough to keep off the floor with his strength and hustle. I understand Reneau and Ware are seen as more talented with bigger upside, but those guys are going to have to produce and match the intensity.

If Gunn emerges as a consistent scoring option, it's going to be tough to manage the front court. MM is probably best suited to play the 4 next year but will likely play more of a wing role just to keep the as much talent on the floor as possible.

And I wouldn't count out Sparks either. All indications are that he's going to be tough to keep off the floor with his strength and hustle. I understand Reneau and Ware are seen as more talented with bigger upside, but those guys are going to have to produce and match the intensity.
Agreed. Banks could push all of this as well. Heck, Cupps could have an impact on the front court guys. All things being equal...pencil in X and Trey as 30 mpg guys in the backcourt. If guys like Gunn and Cupps were to show they can be effective high major college guards...I think that'll be HUGE for our progression. Same with Banks as a versatile wing player. And it'll have to come at the expense of guys like Sparks and Walker, and yes Reneau and Ware too.

The BEST thing that could happen to our team this year is for there to not be enough time and minutes at the 4 and 5 spot, because our guards have played well enough to allow for Woody to transition more towards a 3 guard lineup.

I just think with where we know their talent levels are at, its not as likely to happen this year. Would absolutely love it if it does. Even though it'd likely cause quite a lot of attrition at years end.

Agreed. Banks could push all of this as well. Heck, Cupps could have an impact on the front court guys. All things being equal...pencil in X and Trey as 30 mpg guys in the backcourt. If guys like Gunn and Cupps were to show they can be effective high major college guards...I think that'll be HUGE for our progression. Same with Banks as a versatile wing player. And it'll have to come at the expense of guys like Sparks and Walker, and yes Reneau and Ware too.

The BEST thing that could happen to our team this year is for there to not be enough time and minutes at the 4 and 5 spot, because our guards have played well enough to allow for Woody to transition more towards a 3 guard lineup.

I just think with where we know their talent levels are at, its not as likely to happen this year. Would absolutely love it if it does. Even though it'd likely cause quite a lot of attrition at years end.
And I do hope that is the one area where Woody continues to grow as a college coach. I do think at times he's way too methodical with his substitution patterns and rotations. Granted, guys like Cupps/Banks/Gunn are going to have to earn minutes, I just hope they get the chance early on.

And I do hope that is the one area where Woody continues to grow as a college coach. I do think at times he's way too methodical with his substitution patterns and rotations. Granted, guys like Cupps/Banks/Gunn are going to have to earn minutes, I just hope they get the chance early on.
This was a very big gripe of mine in his first year. The whole NBA "2nd unit" debate... He largely went away from that this past year, so hopefully that's a sign that he's evolving more to the college game.

I hope like heck he's pushing guys like Gunn, Banks, and Cupps to force their way on to the court for big minutes. And then that he's willing to make those hard decisions to slide Mack to the 4, and sit some of the bigs for more bench minutes than I'm sure they are expecting.

Man, I wish Newton had been healthy. I think he'll be a guy, if he gets healthy and back to normal form, that will push the quality of that 3rd guard spot quite a bit. But we're obviously a year out on that, in all likelihood.

This was a very big gripe of mine in his first year. The whole NBA "2nd unit" debate... He largely went away from that this past year, so hopefully that's a sign that he's evolving more to the college game.

I hope like heck he's pushing guys like Gunn, Banks, and Cupps to force their way on to the court for big minutes. And then that he's willing to make those hard decisions to slide Mack to the 4, and sit some of the bigs for more bench minutes than I'm sure they are expecting.

Man, I wish Newton had been healthy. I think he'll be a guy, if he gets healthy and back to normal form, that will push the quality of that 3rd guard spot quite a bit. But we're obviously a year out on that, in all likelihood.
I think Woody was highly undervalued in the NBA and got railroaded by two crappy franchises. He's shown a great ability to innovate and adapt.

Ok sorry, iu has landed 4 one and dones and haven’t done anything with that type of talent.
Gordon's season was the Sampson debacle where the entire season was in disarray after the self reported violations and some of the alleged drug use by players.

Vonleh played for Crean. That should tell you all you need to know, but in case you need more, his teammates were all mostly underclassmen with the exception of Sheehy after 6 dudes left who ended up playing professionally somewhere. Crean didn't even get them to the NIT that year and we declined the CBI invitation, mostly due to a lack of developed talent on the roster and the hit or miss recruiting that became his calling card. Other young guys on that team like Jurkin, Hollowell, Perea, Davis weren't around a year or two later.

Langford played for Ryan who was the worst coach in my memory on what may have been one of the most dysfunctional teams in my lifetime.

JHS at least helped the team improve from the previous year's results and provided a few bright spots like sweeping Purdue, despite our starting PG going down.

3 of the 4 played for coaches who are considered failures at IU and the 4th played for a guy who is in the process of putting more potential talent on the floor than we've seen in a while here.

You need elite talent plus guys who can play roles alongside elite talent. Hopefully Woody keeps building it and coaches them up.

Reactions: Baller23Boogie
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT