ADVERTISEMENT

Boogie Fland - Here comes a big one!

We aren't talking about college kids who are free to sign endorsement deals with university backed donors ONCE THEY ARE ACTUALLY ENROLLED IN SCHOOL. We are talking about prospective recruits (high school students) who can't enter into legally binding NIL deals with booster or booster associated entities of the schools they are being recruited by.

READ THE F******* RULE BOOK.
Isn't it only a matter of time before these high school phenoms begin getting NIL deals? Can you imagine what LeBron would have made in high school? Their games are on TV now.

Isn't it only a matter of time before these high school phenoms begin getting NIL deals? Can you imagine what LeBron would have made in high school?
High school students CAN receive NIL deals in states that legalize NIL for high school students. That isn't the discussion. High schools students can't receive NIL deals as prospective recruits from donors or donor associated entities of the school that are recruiting them. In fact (by the letter of NCAA law) donors and donor associated entities can't even negotiate NIL deals until they are enrolled in school. We know it's not widely enforced but there is a clear rule in place. It's more or less tampering.

High school students CAN receive NIL deals in states that legalize NIL for high school students. That isn't the discussion. High schools students can't receive NIL deals as prospective recruits from donors or donor associated entities of the school that are recruiting them. In fact (by the letter of NCAA law) donors and donor associated entities can't even negotiate NIL deals until they are enrolled in school. We know it's not widely enforced but there is a clear rule in place. It's more or less tampering.
Nothing really is. The NCAA is just about toothless. Texas has passed a law forbidding ncaa involvement in any NIL dealings high school or college and the NCAA won’t do anything in that state.

Nothing really is. The NCAA is just about toothless. Texas has passed a law forbidding ncaa involvement in any NIL dealings high school or college and the NCAA won’t do anything in that state.
He’s clueless. So easy to have a non associated entity do a deal with him. Getting around the “booster” aspect is easier than making fun of him.

He’s clueless. So easy to have a non associated entity do a deal with him. Getting around the “booster” aspect is easier than making fun of him.
Try again.

You've given 3 different examples of clear NCAA violations in just this thread alone.

Don't call me clueless without looking in the mirror.

Last edited:
Isn't it only a matter of time before these high school phenoms begin getting NIL deals? Can you imagine what LeBron would have made in high school? Their games are on TV now.
I think in many states they are free to now, and are. Quick search came up with several simliar stories and says 28 states had approved, as of May:

I have a Honda Odyssey with oodles of leg room I could send for him if nothing else works out. My family won’t be happy so need it back as soon as possible.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Sick burn geezer.
pick one
Woody and IU should have a PJ ready for him and fam to Btown right after. The amount of pub and press that would get would be ginormous. We legit would be looked at as the premiere destination for recruits.

Woody can be King if he gets Boogie and his Queen.

Cook could. I actually bet it is legal for him to sign an NIL deal now, and have it paid for that way.

Get off it being cook lending him the plane geezer I just said him as an example. I could rent him a PJ for 60k. It’s legal. And if it happens, you might just wanna quit this internet thing.

I know you have hired lawyers and done NIL deals. Wait I have. You are so ignorant, I don’t have time for you.
You don't need a lawyer to contribute to the teams Taco Bell fund, Sean. Nice try.

Ignorance is a bliss, you not understanding the most basic and elementary aspects of NIL should come as a surprise to nobody. You've already outed yourself as a dope well before today.

Reactions: hickorytree1
I know you have hired lawyers and done NIL deals. Wait I have. You are so ignorant, I don’t have time for you.
I honestly don't think you guys are saying stuff that differently honestly. I think CG is saying doing it directly is a violation, and that possibly the school wouldn't want to risk eligibility over sneaking in a HH trip, that at this point is really unnecessary. I think what you and VMB (and myself) are saying is that it could be done by "working around things" and structuring it differently, and I'd guess that's probably true. I think we all recognize it's unlikely, but you and I also think it would be prety awesome!

I honestly don't think you guys are saying stuff that differently honestly. I think CG is saying doing it directly is a violation, and that possibly the school wouldn't want to risk eligibility over sneaking in a HH trip, that at this point is really unnecessary. I think what you and VMB (and myself) are saying is that it could be done by "working around things" and structuring it differently, and I'd guess that's probably true. I think we all recognize it's unlikely, but you and I also think it would be prety awesome!
Except he had 3 different chances to get it right and doubled and tripled down on his own stupidity because he doesn't know any better.
Woody and IU should have a PJ ready for him and fam to Btown right after. The amount of pub and press that would get would be ginormous. We legit would be looked at as the premiere destination for recruits.

Woody can be King if he gets Boogie and his Queen.

Cook could. I actually bet it is legal for him to sign an NIL deal now, and have it paid for that way.

Get off it being cook lending him the plane geezer I just said him as an example. I could rent him a PJ for 60k. It’s legal. And if it happens, you might just wanna quit this internet thing.

Except he had 3 different chances to get it right and doubled and tripled down on his own stupidity because he doesn't know any better.
so are you saying there's no way to get around it, or are you just saying IU wouldn't risk it for a HH appearance?

Let's say everyone (staff and BF) does want BF at HH for whatever reason and it's going to cost 100K to charter a plane for him. But he's going to get a 500K NIL deal from some collective and a booster says "I'll contribute another 100K if it goes to Boogie" so now his NIL deal is 600K. And someone who has a jet agrees to charter it to BF's family on 90 day terms (after he'd collect his NIL payout), so he's actually paying for the plane, but out of his "padded" NIL deal. You think that would be a violation? I honestly don't know, but I feel like NIL opens the door to a lot of "creative" ways around former obstacles and that the NCAA is going to be less and less inclined to even try to enforce those.

This is way too in depth. If Boogie chooses IU, and wants to come to HH, it'll be "figured out". And it won't be illegal. And it won't be difficult.

Edit...sorry, deleted kkott's hypothetical. That's what's too in depth.

so are you saying there's no way to get around it, or are you just saying IU wouldn't risk it for a HH appearance?

Let's say everyone (staff and BF) does want BF at HH for whatever reason and it's going to cost 100K to charter a plane for him. But he's going to get a 500K NIL deal from some collective and a booster says "I'll contribute another 100K if it goes to Boogie" so now his NIL deal is 600K. And someone who has a jet agrees to charter it to BF's family on 90 day terms (after he'd collect his NIL payout), so he's actually paying for the plane, but out of his "padded" NIL deal. You think that would be a violation? I honestly don't know, but I feel like NIL opens the door to a lot of "creative" ways around former obstacles and that the NCAA is going to be less and less inclined to even try to enforce those.
IU and their collectives aren't technically supposed to be negotiating NIL while recruiting Boogie in the first place, so they're already in violation to begin with. I'm not naïve to not think this doesn't already happen, but having a private jet pick up Boogie Fland in his home town and brought directly to IU's midnight madness a few hours later is just inviting the NCAA in. It won't happen.

People drastically overstate real NIL values, especially for a prospective high school recruit who hasn't even committed, let alone signed his National Letter of Intent. Boogie will be compensated if and when he's a Hoosier, there's no doubt about it, and he'll make well over 6 figures by the time he leaves probably more if he sticks around for multiple years. But this idea that there's going to be 100 vendors blowing up his phone ~2:15 Friday to make him a multi-millionaire and offer chartered flight services at a snap of the ginger is just insane. It doesn't jive in reality. There's far too many people (and this thread alone is proof) that have zero grasp of how the NIL world works.

Last edited:
MjAxNC0xZDU1ZjVhMTRkNmU5MDlj_52e83fd048990.png

IU and their collectives aren't technically supposed to be negotiating NIL while recruiting Boogie in the first place, so they're already in violation to begin with. I'm not naïve to not think this doesn't already happen, but having a private jet pick up Boogie Fland in his home town and brought directly to IU's midnight madness a few hours later is just inviting the NCAA in. It won't happen.

People drastically overstate real NIL values, especially for a prospective high school recruit who hasn't even committed, let alone signed his National Letter of Intent. Boogie will be compensated if and when he's a Hoosier, there's no doubt about it, and he'll make well over 6 figures by the time he leaves probably more if he sticks around for multiple years. But this idea that there's going to be 100 vendors blowing up his phone ~2:15 Friday to make him a multi-millionaire and offer chartered flight services at a snap of the ginger is just insane. It doesn't jive in reality. There's far too many people (and this thread alone is proof) that have zero grasp of how the NIL world works.
It's a hypothetical discussion. Stop being such a stuffed shirt. NIL is still new so I'm just asking, not suggesting he's gonna get X$ deal. I do think it's quite likely BF and LM, and I know MM based on conversations and posts I read had a VERY good idea about some NIL deals they would have in place IF they came to IU. Someone I consider a reliable source (and I believe you would also) told me that he believes IU's total NIL funds are in the $5-6million range. $500K for a player of Flands level would be entirely consistent with that, if not on the low end. I know you don't like discussing hypotheticals, but look at our roster and think how you'd split up 4-5 million across those 12 players. You'll get to $500K+ pretty quickly for the top end players. I think TJD was getting in the range of a million.

PS and someone said Fland was looking at coming to HH, so I still think it's entirely possible that could be done by catching a commercial flight at 4-5 PM and making it before the end of HH, or during the musical performance, which I think would have the greatest "cool" effect anyway.

You guys are making way, way too big of a deal out of him potentially being at Hoosier Hysteria.

If his commitment press conference is at 2 in New York, he’s not going to be at Hoosier Hysteria. And that’s fine — Hoosier Hysteria is a silly event that barely even counts as a practice these days. Relax.
Grown ass men arguing over a high school kid's appearance at a light show event!! :rolleyes:

Only way he would show up if he loves the halftime event with the rapper dude. If that's the case IU ought to fly the rapper to boogie's HS and do a show there. But is that an infraction?!!! ;)

This thread went to sheyot real quick… WGAF about the NIL details and possibilities in this thread. Start another NIL thread.

I do think it’s positive that the timing is the day of HH, but could just as easily be irrelevant. Having two promising PG with Fland and Cupps would be great and give Cupps a little more time to prepare to take the reins if he isn’t ready next year.

it could be done by "working around things" and structuring it differently, and I'd guess that's probably true. I think we all recognize it's unlikely, but you and I also think it would be prety awesome!
This isn’t that hard to understand.

There are still “rules” and there can be rules violations. But, a good legal team can get around anything.

Both people in this argument are correct, they just have a different POV on the same reality.

the reality is that pay for play is entirely legal. You just cannot admit that it it’s pay for play, and when you pay a kid a million dollars to come play for your (the boosters) school, you need cleverly written contracts that explicitly deny that they are being paid as an enticement to come and play basketball. All you need to do is say it is for their “image and likeness”. Pushing the envelope used to be fed ex packages, now it has gone Wall Street/corporate.

People get down in the weeds and debate “legal versus illegal”, “violations versus permissible” activities. It’s entirely the wrong debate.

I will say this: to all those who celebrate IU’s ability to leverage boosters to push the envelope and put together a roster paid $5-10 million (and rising), please get off your high horse when you criticize coaches like Cal or Weber. IU is doing everything they can to be just like those programs. And we have the boosters (and scores of legal teams, accountants, etc ) to pull it off.

I will say this: to all those who celebrate IU’s ability to leverage boosters to push the envelope and put together a roster paid $5-10 million (and rising), please get off your high horse when you criticize coaches like Cal or Weber. IU is doing everything they can to be just like those programs. And we have the boosters (and scores of legal teams, accountants, etc ) to pull it off.

In fact, looking back, we need to appreciate Cal & Weber's fortitude in being the early pioneers, and pathfinders in the field of NIL.

I would go as far as to call them -- the Lewis & Clark of today's NIL. In fact, I see some uncanny resemblances.

Last edited:
This isn’t that hard to understand.

There are still “rules” and there can be rules violations. But, a good legal team can get around anything.

Both people in this argument are correct, they just have a different POV on the same reality.

the reality is that pay for play is entirely legal. You just cannot admit that it it’s pay for play, and when you pay a kid a million dollars to come play for your (the boosters) school, you need cleverly written contracts that explicitly deny that they are being paid as an enticement to come and play basketball. All you need to do is say it is for their “image and likeness”. Pushing the envelope used to be fed ex packages, now it has gone Wall Street/corporate.

People get down in the weeds and debate “legal versus illegal”, “violations versus permissible” activities. It’s entirely the wrong debate.

I couldn't agree more with this post. He 100% is planting his flag on the actual wording of what I am saying. Cook could not legally lend the plane, Woody couldn't directly set up a PJ, I couldn't spend 60k on a plane for Boogie.

It would be so easy for Me, Woody, or Cook to work around this. I have literally had conversations with multiple lawyers on how almost anything can be done now legally with NIL. Very easy to work around this, like extremely.

So coach Geezer, for the record (because I am going to change your name if it happens) Boogie getting a on a private plane supplied by a NIL deal is entirely legal on Friday.

Also to your last paragraph. I Aldo completely agree, and actually love watching the holier than thou squirm. Awkward pickle they find themselves in. We are getting better talent than anything since the 90s, yet it is clearly driven by money and paying the players. Anyone saying Cal is slime or dollar bill self is a cheater, should no longer support the Hoosiers. Because we are now outbidding KU and UK for players.

Reactions: .Gerdis and kkott
I couldn't agree more with this post. He 100% is planting his flag on the actual wording of what I am saying. Cook could not legally lend the plane, Woody couldn't directly set up a PJ, I couldn't spend 60k on a plane for Boogie.

It would be so easy for Me, Woody, or Cook to work around this. I have literally had conversations with multiple lawyers on how almost anything can be done now legally with NIL. Very easy to work around this, like extremely.

So coach Geezer, for the record (because I am going to change your name if it happens) Boogie getting a on a private plane supplied by a NIL deal is entirely legal on Friday.

Also to your last paragraph. I Aldo completely agree, and actually love watching the holier than thou squirm. Awkward pickle they find themselves in. We are getting better talent than anything since the 90s, yet it is clearly driven by money and paying the players. Anyone saying Cal is slime or dollar bill self is a cheater, should no longer support the Hoosiers. Because we are now outbidding KU and UK for players.
You sound proud of that. Yes it is great we are getting top talent but will it translate to winning? Will it mean anything to west Indiana across the chest? Or are we just renting a player for 8 months and send him on his way. Rinse and repeat? I’m ok having one of these types but it’s risky building a roster around them. Veteran teams win in March these days.

You sound proud of that. Yes it is great we are getting top talent but will it translate to winning? Will it mean anything to west Indiana across the chest? Or are we just renting a player for 8 months and send him on his way. Rinse and repeat? I’m ok having one of these types but it’s risky building a roster around them. Veteran teams win in March these days.
So far...Woody's teams have been led by veterans. Even if we land Fland and Queen, next year's team will still be led by guys like Malik, Sparks, Gabe, hopefully CJ and Kaleb will still be around...heck Trey could stick around if he wanted to...and then there's the transfer portal, which I'm sure we'll be active in again. Those 3 will all play, obviously, but we'll still have older guys to rely on for a lot of things.

I want people to understand reality. being a hypocrite fan is not a good look. I need to educate our fans for when they represent my university in public :).

You need a mix in my opinion. One thing that can't be argued tho, you need the top talent to get to final fours and Nattys.

You still have to have 1-2 elite guys.

So far...Woody's teams have been led by veterans. Even if we land Fland and Queen, next year's team will still be led by guys like Malik, Sparks, Gabe, hopefully CJ and Kaleb will still be around...heck Trey could stick around if he wanted to...and then there's the transfer portal, which I'm sure we'll be active in again. Those 3 will all play, obviously, but we'll still have older guys to rely on for a lot of things.
I would be shocked if Trey wasn't on the team next year. Would be the dumbest business move he could make to leave. He will make a killing next year.

I want people to understand reality. being a hypocrite fan is not a good look. I need to educate our fans for when they represent my university in public :).

You need a mix in my opinion. One thing that can't be argued tho, you need the top talent to get to final fours and Nattys.
Especially guard 1-3 is the coveted guys. Boogie is a big one. Hes like JHS except a better shooter. Next years team will be a monster.

I would be shocked if Trey wasn't on the team next year. Would be the dumbest business move he could make to leave. He will make a killing next year.
Yeah he’s coming back. If he’s not he will be on a roster. Instant top 10 transfer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT